BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-07-2013, 01:21 AM   #1
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
request: deep sea blue with black peformance grille

i can't seem to find any photos of Deep Sea Blue 1ers with the black performance kidney grilles. anyone have any pics?

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 04:09 PM   #2
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

Not sure if these are the performance grills you are looking for, but mine are black

09-08-2013, 09:01 AM   #3
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
thank you grey panther! yes that's what i was looking for.

i can't really decide if i prefer the oem 135is grille (chrome surround, black center) or the all black approach. on every car i've ever owned i've used a black grille (usually i hate chrome) but on this colour, i'm not sure all black is the best. are you happy with the look of yours in real life?

i've noticed on darker cars, the all black grille on BMWs creates sort of like an appearance of a big hole! on Audi grilles, there is an emblem in the middle of the grille, so it still looks like a grile....but on BMWs, the emblem is outside the grille so its a different dynamic
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #4
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Montego Blue 6MT Sport

I don't like the grilles in general when viewed from the front - it does look like a big hole no matter what the style. I think the intent is that the black grilles go with the blacklike trim.
      09-08-2013, 07:15 PM   #5
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI
thank you grey panther! yes that's what i was looking for.

i can't really decide if i prefer the oem 135is grille (chrome surround, black center) or the all black approach. on every car i've ever owned i've used a black grille (usually i hate chrome) but on this colour, i'm not sure all black is the best. are you happy with the look of yours in real life?

i've noticed on darker cars, the all black grille on BMWs creates sort of like an appearance of a big hole! on Audi grilles, there is an emblem in the middle of the grille, so it still looks like a grile....but on BMWs, the emblem is outside the grille so its a different dynamic
I am so happy with it! Every time I look at the nose of my car I just stare and think "Damn that is so badass"
I was on the fence also because chrome looks good on our colour, but the all black is so much better and really flows well. Chrome contrasts it too much.
My parent's crimson red 128i cabriolet has the chrome and that looks much better than all black for that colour in my opinion.