BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-01-2017, 10:48 AM   #1
presterone
Registered
Rep
Drives: 1995 M3

Act HD clutch and XACT Streetlight single mass flywheel on 135i questions.

Am I the only person to install this setup on an E9x or 1 series??

2008 135i, downpipes, exhaust, FMIC. Stock intake and an unknown tune (no JB4 anyway)

Before clutch replacement you could hardly get into gear with out grinding. It was getting gradually worse and worse since the customer purchased the car. I removed the clutch slave to find a yellow pressure plate cover (ended up being an act street clutch and stock dual mass flywheel)
Once I got the transmission removed I could see the input shaft was never lubed properly and the clutch disc was rusted the shaft of the trans and could barely move. The customer and myself have had good luck with ACT products with other car lines (toyota, mitsubishi)

Everything with the install went fairly smooth, I installed a new throwout bearing and clutch fork, new pivot pin for the fork. The Xact streetlite flywheel is strange. Its a two piece setup, which the instructions make no mention of. One piece is the traditional wheel and the other is the center piece with the male adapter that fits into the pilot bearing. New hardware was provided for the flywheel which were bolts that were slightly longer that stock. The install was pretty self explanatory and you could only install it one way.

This setup is really loud. At idle with your foot off the clutch pedal, the rattle is more than mild. I've installed single mass flywheels in older BMWs with ZF 5 speeds and VW/Audi products and they all had a slight rattle noise but it was livable.

On the bright side the pedal feel is nice, just a tad more effort that stock. The transmission shifts flawless. I installed a UUC evo 3 with dual shear selector rod and UUC rubber trans mounts at the same time. The car has had several hundred miles put on it since then and the noise hasn't gotten worse and the trans still shifts flawlessly.

I guess we can live with the noise but If I were to go back I probably would have used Mfactory single mass flywheel. Has anyone else experienced this?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 10:08 AM   #2
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

I'm not sure if it's the clutch, flywheel or just part of being a "single mass flywheel".

The MFactory flywheel may be slightly better but any time you go to a single mass flywheel on this car you will get rattle noises.

Only way to get rid of the noise is either raise your idle (via flash) or some people change out the fluids in the transmission (doesn't always work).

If you are running less then 500WHP, stay with a OEM Dual Mass Flywheel, you won't have any noise.

With regards to ACT, it's not too popular in this platform. We sell Spec clutches 50 to 1 over ACT. In our customers experiences with ACt they had a short life span, 10K miles or less.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 04:16 PM   #3
presterone
Registered
Rep
Drives: 1995 M3

Interesting. Thanks for your reply.
Appreciate 0