BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-12-2012, 10:24 PM   #45
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6
I really don't know how to respond to that other than, you really know how to go down with a sinking ship. You get some credit for that I guess.
Indeed!

More that in the end, it doesn't matter to me if this does end up failing, but i'd like to be positive about it, especially when one company like this is banking a fair bit on it working out lol... My gf is getting herself a skyline soon anyway for me to modify, so it's not like i'm going to be hard up for a fun car hah
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 04:44 AM   #46
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
Heres proof right here. BMW's own I6 production manager, the head guy in BMW's I6 powerplants saying exactly what I said about the weaker Mg/Al N52 block. And I quote Mr. Welter,"

In the case of the magnesium-aluminum block, Welter says, “Right now, the crankcase-stress of the turbocharged engine is above the limit of the aluminum/magnesium crankcase.”

http://wardsauto.com/news-amp-analys...bo-pay-bmw-i-6
not to distract people from the Boost discussion, this same article has this info about n52 displacement/stroker posibility:

“Only a marginal increase of the displacement is possible (for the I-6 engine). However, an increase is not planned,” Welter says. “This is consistent with our Efficient Dynamics program and philosophy, which improves performance and at the same time reduces fuel consumption.”

so 3.2 n52 means no MPG

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 04:59 AM   #47
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
Heres proof right here. BMW's own I6 production manager, the head guy in BMW's I6 powerplants saying exactly what I said about the weaker Mg/Al N52 block. And I quote Mr. Welter,"

In the case of the magnesium-aluminum block, Welter says, “Right now, the crankcase-stress of the turbocharged engine is above the limit of the aluminum/magnesium crankcase.”

http://wardsauto.com/news-amp-analys...bo-pay-bmw-i-6
not to distract people from the Boost discussion, this same article has this info about n52 displacement/stroker posibility:

“Only a marginal increase of the displacement is possible (for the I-6 engine). However, an increase is not planned,” Welter says. “This is consistent with our Efficient Dynamics program and philosophy, which improves performance and at the same time reduces fuel consumption.”

so 3.2 n52 means no MPG
As far as i've read, the 3.2 kit doesn't change day to day driving, only if you hammer it lo
Ed: and 3.0 to 3.2 is way beyond marginal haha
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 08:15 AM   #48
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralPA E82 View Post
Wise words sir! There is a reason BMW offers both options. Personally love my 128 but the 135 is a brilliant car if you crave more power.
If you can't afford a 135i upgrade you can less likely afford to gamble with with a kit like this. Makes no sense.
Appreciate 0