BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-29-2011, 06:03 PM   #1
Mnime
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS

iPhone Overheating

Has anyone had or experienced their iPhones overheating in the cradle in a 1M or any BMW for that matter?

I have noticed than when I take off the phone its been pretty warm but today was the first time it actually quit working and had a big warning on the phone screen stating it was too hot and needed to cool down.

Granted my car was parked in the sun for the first time and it is/was about 95 degrees F in DFW today and i have yet to get my windows tinted to help keep the inside cool. So it could have just been that i needed to cool the car off before putting the phone in the cradle. But I thought i would see if anyone else had had this come up?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 07:35 PM   #2
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

My iPhone 4 overheats occasionally anyway, regardless of whether or not it's connected to anything.

It is continually in a case with a back.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 08:20 PM   #3
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1(M)other f*^#er of a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnime View Post
Has anyone had or experienced their iPhones overheating in the cradle in a 1M or any BMW for that matter?

I have noticed than when I take off the phone its been pretty warm but today was the first time it actually quit working and had a big warning on the phone screen stating it was too hot and needed to cool down.e

Granted my car was parked in the sun for the first time and it is/was about 95 degrees F in DFW today and i have yet to get my windows tinted to help keep the inside cool. So it could have just been that i needed to cool the car off before putting the phone in the cradle. But I thought i would see if anyone else had had this come up?
My iPhone 3GS has been getting hot in tray as well. I did not think anything of it until someone has now raised an conern.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 09:01 PM   #4
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Never had any issue with my iPhone 4 overheating. I'm going to imagine the ambient heat in a closed vehicle plus possible direct sun was the cause. It was a little warm today eh? Lol. Hope the phone is ok.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 09:26 PM   #5
jmcphillips1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 128 Coupe

Garage List
Never let the sun hit your phone or it will overheat for sure. Take it out of the cradle if it becomes a constant occurrence. The internal temp of your car far exceeds the outside temp.
Retired: 2003 X5 4.6is
Retired: 2006 330i Post September
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 10:07 PM   #6
Mnime
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS

A little info i left out. I didnt leave my phone in the cradle in the car. It was after I returned to the car and then plugged my phone in. I looked a little later and it probably was due to the inside heat of the car. The metal bottom on the cradle probably did retain a lot of heat. Guess i'll let things cool down some before plugging the phone in if its been sitting in the sun again.

however prior too all this the phone still seemed to get hotter than i think it should in the cradle. But i am going to continue to keep an eye on this...

M3 adj -- phone seems to be fine. Once it cooled down it worked like always.
Appreciate 0