BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-02-2016, 02:06 PM   #45
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huecifer View Post
The interior is embarrassingly bad on the BRZ, and the engine and power delivery is not very good. I was excited because the chassis setup (down to even the wheel size) was the same as my old IS300 - which had the best handling balance of any car I've ever driven and it had an inline 6 that puts ours to shame. But I couldn't get past that shitty engine in the BRZ. If they put the 2JZ from the Lexus into the BRZ (giving it a better power to weight than a 128i), i could definitely get over the crap interior, lol.
Man, loved the look of that old Lexus!
      04-02-2016, 04:07 PM   #46
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Whether you guys like it or not, the 1 and the BRZ are comparable, because, as many people have already stated, they COMPARED the two when shopping. Whine all you want about how different they are and how they're aimed at different markets, but at the end of the day, they are comparable cars that have been compared by many people, including myself.
I was looking at an 18 wheeler at the same time as I looked at the 1; better cargo carrying capability in the 18 wheeler, but the handling and acceleration were poor in comparison to the 1.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 04:25 PM   #47
Cal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWs, NSX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandydesign View Post
I love the e82 body style, but man, I can't get over how it looks like a minivan in this pic. It's not until you see that black Jeep on the far left that you realize that the 135i *might* just be a small car (but even then it looks almost as big as that!). The SL, miata, and FR-S look so much smaller than the 135i.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 04:28 PM   #48
Cal
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprgnat View Post
Hell, I got a ticket for no front license plate parked at a Park-and-Ride by an officer looking for low hanging fruit instead of dealing with the theft and vandalism.
Tell me about it. I also got a no-front-license plate ticket while I was parked inside a Hilton hotel's parking lot near LAX. Again, not on the street, but INSIDE the hotel's parking lot.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 04:41 PM   #49
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Tell me about it. I also got a no-front-license plate ticket while I was parked inside a Hilton hotel's parking lot near LAX. Again, not on the street, but INSIDE the hotel's parking lot.
Wife doesn't have a front plate either and no ticket as well. Maybe we're just lucky? Luck of the Irish, I guess. Haha!

Seriously though, maybe some cops are just bored and have nothing better to do than ruin your day.
      04-02-2016, 06:47 PM   #50
Cal
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Wife doesn't have a front plate either and no ticket as well. Maybe we're just lucky? Luck of the Irish, I guess. Haha!

Seriously though, maybe some cops are just bored and have nothing better to do than ruin your day.
Both of you are most definitely lucky. A big factor though is definitely location. In some areas, cops don't have anything better to do than to nitpick on little things like this, in other areas they are way too busy for this type of stuff. But yes, a little luck does go a long way.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 06:58 PM   #51
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Both of you are most definitely lucky. A big factor though is definitely location. In some areas, cops don't have anything better to do than to nitpick on little things like this, in other areas they are way too busy for this type of stuff. But yes, a little luck does go a long way.
Well I hope our luck holds out because neither one of us plan on putting a front plate on anytime soon.
      04-03-2016, 08:35 PM   #52
Jeff01234567
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp, M-B A220

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Well I hope our luck holds out because neither one of us plan on putting a front plate on anytime soon.
Cops are ridiculous sometimes.

I went to college at SF State and have gotten pulled over twice by University Police. One time for tinted front windows and another time for having a plastic transparent cover on my rear license plate. I also see meter maids religiously patrol the area for unpaid meters and 2 hour parkings.

It's like they have nothing better to do than to pick on poor college students who are already getting screwed by tuition and expensive rent.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 09:47 PM   #53
Huecifer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
I was looking at an 18 wheeler at the same time as I looked at the 1; better cargo carrying capability in the 18 wheeler, but the handling and acceleration were poor in comparison to the 1.
Not true!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 10:30 PM   #54
Jeff01234567
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp, M-B A220

Garage List
Quote:
Not sure if 18 wheeler costs the same as the 1.

However, a low mileage FRS/BRZ does cost the same as a high mileage 1. Money is a big factor when it comes to purchasing a car. If someone looks at these two similar priced cars and decides which one to buy, you better bet they're being compared.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 05:59 AM   #55
chunho01
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 125i E88 M-Sport

Quote:
Whether you guys like it or not, the 1 and the BRZ are comparable, because, as many people have already stated, they COMPARED the two when shopping. Whine all you want about how different they are and how they're aimed at different markets, but at the end of the day, they are comparable cars that have been compared by many people, including myself.
Have to agree. I did exactly that. I've driven a 86 GTS (BRZ equivalent) for two days at the Great Ocean Road. It was amazing! But as a practical DD, 1er is still better. Plus I like my convertible
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 10:22 AM   #56
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Comparing a 1-Series car to a BRZ/FRS is really a pretty pointless exercise, because they do not operate in the same space, they are not designed to do the same things, and they have very different target audiences, even though both groups of audiences are rather small niche audiences.
People do go back and forth among vehicle classes, owning a sedan, then a van, then a pickup truck, for example, so one can certainly decide amongst vehicles of different classes.

My point is not that you wouldn't consider both a BRZ/FRS and a 1-Series at the time of researching vehicles, but that the comparisons would be largely on the basis of the class of a vehicle rather than between two specific vehicles. So, you might be deciding this time around whether you wanted a low-slung 2 door sports car, like a Miata or a BRZ, vs. a van, or a truck, or a sedan.

In comparing a BRZ to a 1-Series, one might say that the 1-Series has a larger trunk and passenger compartment, and stands higher. But those comments would be more or less identical to the comments one would have made had the comparison been between a Miata and a 1-Series.
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2016, 11:13 AM   #57
Hops128i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i, manual, sport pkg

I've viewed the BRZ as a "coupe Miata" that would be a great track car. From that perspective, I've never understood the complaining about the interior or power.
      04-04-2016, 11:20 AM   #58
bandydesign
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

Quote:
I love the e82 body style, but man, I can't get over how it looks like a minivan in this pic. It's not until you see that black Jeep on the far left that you realize that the 135i *might* just be a small car (but even then it looks almost as big as that!). The SL, miata, and FR-S look so much smaller than the 135i.
I've just written the extra size off as a cost of getting all of that luxury and performance in the same package. It is also the only vehicle in that picture save the Jeep that my friends would be willing to sit in the back seats of.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 06:36 PM   #59
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandydesign View Post
I've just written the extra size off as a cost of getting all of that luxury and performance in the same package. It is also the only vehicle in that picture save the Jeep that my friends would be willing to sit in the back seats of.
Do you have small friends?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 09:51 PM   #60
Huecifer
Private First Class
Rep

Seriously, if a BRZ isn't a comparable car, what is? Basically nothing, according to your logic. If you want a small, manual, RWD, NA car for under $30k, there are only about 5 cars that fit the bill. Less if you need a real trunk and don't want a convertible.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 10:05 PM   #61
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Seriously, if a BRZ isn't a comparable car, what is? Basically nothing, according to your logic. If you want a small, manual, RWD, NA car for under $30k, there are only about 5 cars that fit the bill. Less if you need a real trunk and don't want a convertible.
The BMW is a USED car; it's original MSRP was probably north of $50K. It was originally sold as a "near-luxury" vehicle.

No one with two nickels to rub together would confuse a BRZ/FRS with anything other than a CHEAP 2 door car. It may be a fun 2 door car to you, but it's very self breaths CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP.

If the question is, "I have $30K to spend on a car, new or used, what is the list of vehicles that I can afford?", you will get your answer however it is YOUR answer to YOUR question.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 10:11 PM   #62
Huecifer
Private First Class
Rep

My question, and dozens of other people on this forum, many of whom have spoken on this thread. Seriously, aside from price, there's nothing fundamentally different about these cars. Sorry to burst your bubble, man, but people routinely compare your precious car to a [GASP] SUBARU!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 10:20 PM   #63
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My question, and dozens of other people on this forum, many of whom have spoken on this thread. Seriously, aside from price, there's nothing fundamentally different about these cars. Sorry to burst your bubble, man, but people routinely compare your precious car to a [GASP] SUBARU!!!!!
Dear Loser,

I currently own FIVE vehicles, including a Subaru STi of current vintage. I have no need to get affirmation of my own worth from my vehicles, especially from someone like you.

I have owned a BRZ, and aside from an Acura MDX, was the least favorite vehicle I have owned in my entire life, which probably is longer than yours by quite a lot. But seriously, if you like the car, I suggest you go buy one!!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 06:33 PM   #64
Huecifer
Private First Class
Rep

I wrote up a pretty thorough review ON THIS THREAD about why I didn't. Maybe I should just buy more cars like you, woo hoo! Maybe I'll get SIX! If i have SIX cars, does that make my opinion more valid? I'd certainly be able to compare the comparable 1-series with the BRZ, and the FRS! For someone that has "no need to get affirmation of my own worth from my vehicles" you're certainly quick to point out how many you own. How rich you are!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 09:56 PM   #65
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I wrote up a pretty thorough review ON THIS THREAD about why I didn't. Maybe I should just buy more cars like you, woo hoo! Maybe I'll get SIX! If i have SIX cars, does that make my opinion more valid? I'd certainly be able to compare the comparable 1-series with the BRZ, and the FRS! For someone that has "no need to get affirmation of my own worth from my vehicles" you're certainly quick to point out how many you own. How rich you are!!!!
If I was really rich, they would be Porsches and Bugattis; instead I have a stable of used lower end BMWs plus an STi, a decidedly unpretentious car. Another forum member once told me he and I both have a "poor man's ultimate garage."

Subaru makes good cars; I have owned quite a lot of them, including 2 turbo outback 5MT vehicles, from back when the turbo outback was a respectable car, not resembling the barge they currently sell under that model name.

But the BRZ, whatever its attributes as a "sporty drivers' car," is just a cheap POS, especially the interior which screams "testosterone laden teenager." It is a kid's car. If they were more honest when they made it, they would have eliminated the tinny radio and put wind up crank windows in there, which at least would have been consistent with the rest of the interior.
Appreciate 0