BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-24-2023, 10:23 AM   #1
rexlex
Rep
Drives: 18 M550, 12 135i,

Suspension choices? Ohlins R&T or Swift Spec R springs shocks (koni yellow prob)

I have a 2012 vert and looking to upgrade the suspension. My rear shocks are shot and the front seem to be on their way out. This e88 is technically my daily but usually only gets driven on the weekends. Those drives are with the euro club and we usually do an hour or two of spirited back
Road driving on the way to meets. Looking for a set up that will help improve handling. I will be doing RSFB replacements in the future and same for a complete M3 control arms upgrades as well. I think the first upgrade is either coilovers or springs and shocks. I’m trying decide between ohlins road and track or go with a spring set up with shocks. I’m only interested in swift spec r springs but open to the accompanying shocks, leaning towards koni yellow if I go that route.

Looking for opinions on which would be a better set up for my application. Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 10:44 AM   #2
Blau
J
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [6.00]
2013 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
I just did a lot of the work you're about to do. I went with Bilstein PSS9 on Dinan camber plates. The cars handling increased dramatically. This summer I went in and installed Whiteline Poly RSFB and diff bushings. Also added a 15mm sway bar.

Doing the coilovers made the car feel stock+. Adding the RSFB and Diff bushings completely changed the feel of the car in a very positive way. Looks like you're looking at good suspensions but I highly recommend the Bilstein kit. Good thing you're doing the bushings at the same time. You're going to love the way the car feels.
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2023, 10:53 AM   #3
rexlex
Rep
Drives: 18 M550, 12 135i,

Yeah when I bought the car my first plan was RSFB and control arms but after driving stock for 3 months I noticed my rear shocks are dead. So I need to replace first which not ideal. I’ll end up replacing RSFB and control arms over winter to buffer the wallet impact 🤣
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 01:58 PM   #4
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexlex View Post
I have a 2012 vert and looking to upgrade the suspension. My rear shocks are shot and the front seem to be on their way out. This e88 is technically my daily but usually only gets driven on the weekends. Those drives are with the euro club and we usually do an hour or two of spirited back
Road driving on the way to meets. Looking for a set up that will help improve handling. I will be doing RSFB replacements in the future and same for a complete M3 control arms upgrades as well. I think the first upgrade is either coilovers or springs and shocks. I’m trying decide between ohlins road and track or go with a spring set up with shocks. I’m only interested in swift spec r springs but open to the accompanying shocks, leaning towards koni yellow if I go that route.

Looking for opinions on which would be a better set up for my application. Thanks all!
Swift Spec-R is NLA, but you might be able to find some old stock somewhere.

Koni Yellow is an excellent choice to match up with sport springs. If all don't care about the ability to customize your ride height go with this set up. If you want the ability to adjust the rear dampers externally, we have this option:

https://hpautosport.com/product/tc-k...-and-3-series/

You can't go wrong with Ohlins with higher and linear rate springs. The DFV technology is second to none and rarely found in coilovers in this price range.

Feel free to reach out with any questions you might have.
Appreciate 0