BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-17-2010, 05:13 PM   #1
CJM
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Insurance renewal time

Hi everyone

I was wondering if anyone could help solve my dilemma. My insurance is up for renewal very soon - current insurer is BMW insurance.

However, GIO is considerably cheaper.

My problem is: do I stay with BMW insurance because of the way they say they'll repair an accident - BMW approved repairer etc or risk (if it's a risk?) another insurance company. I'm super fussy on the correct paint being used if an accident ever occurs.

Is it false economy to pay for a cheaper insurance premium and risk a panel shop that might not be really familiar with repairing BMWs (and using the right paint/parts)?

Am I being too fussy?

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 05:26 PM   #2
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJM View Post
Hi everyone

I was wondering if anyone could help solve my dilemma. My insurance is up for renewal very soon - current insurer is BMW insurance.

However, GIO is considerably cheaper.

My problem is: do I stay with BMW insurance because of the way they say they'll repair an accident - BMW approved repairer etc or risk (if it's a risk?) another insurance company. I'm super fussy on the correct paint being used if an accident ever occurs.

Is it false economy to pay for a cheaper insurance premium and risk a panel shop that might not be really familiar with repairing BMWs (and using the right paint/parts)?

Am I being too fussy?

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
This is one of the reasons I also refuse to do any business with Col Crawford.

They're business manager pressured me into getting insurance through BMW when I was looking at their car. He knew he couldn't do it, but did anyway. He said it's full OEM parts on repairs etc, etc. So i was MORE than pleased when i got my insurance with CGU with full original part repairs for less than half the price.

You CAN talk to GIO and request full OEM parts on a repair. I did this with my Subarus and it didn't cost me anything.

Have a chat to GIO and tell them you want to go with them as they are cheaper, however you want guaranteed OEM parts on a repair and want this in your policy.

They'll definitely go with it

One thing to remember: If you have a lease car, most insurance companies have to repair with OEM parts as this effects your end-of-term valuation.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 05:49 PM   #3
oldman
Australia
Rep
Drives: 09 135i AW Coupe

Just wondering how many people would be actually making standard replacement parts for a BMW 125i or 135i that could be used instead of OEM bits?

I would have thought for most collision repairs one would have to source the parts directly from BMW anyway.
      06-17-2010, 06:05 PM   #4
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
Just wondering how many people would be actually making standard replacement parts for a BMW 125i or 135i that could be used instead of OEM bits?

I would have thought for most collision repairs one would have to source the parts directly from BMW anyway.
I was thinking this as i typed my post it to be honest!

But then we get into the whole second-hand parts stuff. Nobody would like a second hand HPFP would they
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 06:51 PM   #5
The__J__Factor
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M Coupe

Most insurance companies have a long list of companies they can use to repair your car. If you have a look at this list and check out a couple of the shops then if you ever get into an accident you can always get a quote from their 3 best shops knowing which ever quote they choose you will come out good.

I'm with just car and they have a great repairer here on the coast. They are also fairly cheap so when someone backing into my car i was able to get two expensive quotes from bmw approved places and then went to their one shop knowing either way i was going to a great repairer.

So save your money and ditch the bmw insurance.
Z4 M Coupe - H&R - RE Diablo - RPi - Tekarbon - Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 07:56 PM   #6
CJM
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Many thanks for your replies... I think my decision will be a bit easier to make now.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 08:15 PM   #7
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJM View Post
Many thanks for your replies... I think my decision will be a bit easier to make now.
No worries

I was with GIO until last year when my lease broker got CGU for me. So for 7 years i was with GIO and they were absolutely fantastic!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 08:37 AM   #8
banglemangle
Lieutenant
Azerbaijan
Rep
Drives: bmw135

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=394541
Appreciate 0