BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-07-2011, 08:11 PM   #1057
cozza
///Mthusiast
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i (March delivery)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
It's only worth what someone will pay for it. And it's not a 135.
No, it's not a 135, and not everyone wants a 135. You could say the same about a 135 and say, "well, it's not an M3, or it's not a 1M". Ridiculous comment in my opinion.
      09-07-2011, 08:18 PM   #1058
Honny
Captain
Rep
Drives: Something

Cozza - cars aren't selling like hot cakes these days! Just need a bit of patience. It isn't the "best" time to buy a car under current market conditions.

What else you should do is to part out your CF bits, sell them and then reduce the price of your car - might actually sell quicker and for more.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 08:22 PM   #1059
cozza
///Mthusiast
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honny View Post
Cozza - cars aren't selling like hot cakes these days! Just need a bit of patience. It isn't the "best" time to buy a car under current market conditions.

What else you should do is to part out your CF bits, sell them and then reduce the price of your car - might actually sell quicker and for more.
I hear ya, never the best time though when you really want to sell!

Ok then, what would my CF bits be worth separately, and is anyone interested?

Mirror caps for an '08, 3 years old
Front kidney grilles - 6 months old, as new
Rear diffuser - 6 months old, as new
Interior trim - 6 months old, as new

Cost all up - $3,500
      09-07-2011, 08:31 PM   #1060
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozza View Post
No, it's not a 135, and not everyone wants a 135. You could say the same about a 135 and say, "well, it's not an M3, or it's not a 1M". Ridiculous comment in my opinion.
Not everyone wants a 135 I agree, however with second had one series (that look pretty much the same and are based on the 1 series platform) the used prices are seemingly close (comparing 125 and 135).

Comparing a 135 with an M3 would be ridiculous. Comparing a 3 series with an M3 would make more sense, particularly if the 3 series was a coupe and outwardly looked almost identical to an M3.

It seems like your own evaluation of how attractive your car is might need adjustment? Also I agree with Honny, strip all the goodies off it and sell them separately, a second hand buyer will not factor those extras in to their offering price.

Of course you've got to factor in the cost to remove and replace the CF bits with the OEM bits, it might not even be worth it for some items.

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 08:38 PM   #1061
cozza
///Mthusiast
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
...the used prices are seemingly close (comparing 125 and 135).
That's not at all accurate - the prices for a 2008 135i with 20,000-40,000kms on the clock vary from $53,750 to $62,000. That's almost 20% and $8,000 more for the cheapest.

See here.
      09-07-2011, 08:57 PM   #1062
Drawn05
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Yes

Didnt you know that this is 1(35)addicts?

Your 125 is only worth what others will pay for it AND what YOU are willing to sell it for. Trade is a 2 way street.

You seem desperate for a sale and maybe they can sense this and so want to see how much you crack and reduce the price further (seems to be working).

Theres also a lot of uncertainty at the moment so, much like houses, it will take longer to sell. Reducing the price might not make it sell any sooner but will just take money out of your wallet.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 09:01 PM   #1063
ippykaye
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i

It's a nice car mate, hang in there- you'll need to find an enthusiast who appreciates 6MT and your mods and options. Joe Blow out there who doesn't care for iDrive, xenons etc won't care and think it's overpriced.

I agree with Redbook being inaccurate. It took me 6 months to sell my Audi TT and I missed out on a whole pile of good cars (eg. Sparoz's 135) because I needed the money from the sale to buy (and as many know, I'm still 135i hunting). No one cared for my options like xenons etc. I sold it for much less than Redbook quoted for.

In contrast, I sold my Golf GTI in less than 24 hours for more than a similarly aged GTI was selling on Carsales. It was bought by someone who wanted all my options (It was loaded with everything) and willing to pay the premium for it.

As an aside, some ppl may be put off by the minor prang you had with the taxi and the posts related to that. Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do about it. I know it was professionally repaired but some people don't like accident damaged cars.

Buyer's market I'm afraid- good luck with your sale! If yours was a 135, I'd buy it!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 09:02 PM   #1064
cozza
///Mthusiast
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drawn05 View Post
Didnt you know that this is 1(35)addicts?

Your 125 is only worth what others will pay for it AND what YOU are willing to sell it for. Trade is a 2 way street.

You seem desperate for a sale and maybe they can sense this and so want to see how much you crack and reduce the price further (seems to be working).

Theres also a lot of uncertainty at the moment so, much like houses, it will take longer to sell. Reducing the price might not make it sell any sooner but will just take money out of your wallet.
Smartarse. The 125i is a brilliant car, get off your twin turbo-powered high horse

I'm not desperate, just can't understand why there's so many people viewing the car but not actually making contact. Seems to me there's no serious buyers on Carsales because around 70 people look at the ad each day. Ah well, I'm sure the right person will come along and they'll absolutely love my 125.
      09-07-2011, 09:04 PM   #1065
cozza
///Mthusiast
Australia
Rep

My Euro sold in about 3 days to the first person who saw it, and it had angel eyes! Ha! How things have changed.

09-07-2011, 09:06 PM   #1066
ippykaye
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Smartarse. The 125i is a brilliant car, get off your twin turbo-powered high horse

I'm not desperate, just can't understand why there's so many people viewing the car but not actually making contact. Seems to me there's no serious buyers on Carsales because around 70 people look at the ad each day. Ah well, I'm sure the right person will come along and they'll absolutely love my 125.
Sorry, some of those 70 are my mate and I perving on your car. He's in the market for a 125i like yours but his budget's lower and he wants one with lower km.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 09:08 PM   #1067
cozza
///Mthusiast
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ippykaye View Post
It's a nice car mate, hang in there- you'll need to find an enthusiast who appreciates 6MT and your mods and options. Joe Blow out there who doesn't care for iDrive, xenons etc won't care and think it's overpriced.

I agree with Redbook being inaccurate. It took me 6 months to sell my Audi TT and I missed out on a whole pile of good cars (eg. Sparoz's 135) because I needed the money from the sale to buy (and as many know, I'm still 135i hunting). No one cared for my options like xenons etc. I sold it for much less than Redbook quoted for.

In contrast, I sold my Golf GTI in less than 24 hours for more than a similarly aged GTI was selling on Carsales. It was bought by someone who wanted all my options (It was loaded with everything) and willing to pay the premium for it.

As an aside, some ppl may be put off by the minor prang you had with the taxi and the posts related to that. Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do about it. I know it was professionally repaired but some people don't like accident damaged cars.

Buyer's market I'm afraid- good luck with your sale! If yours was a 135, I'd buy it!
Yeah, fair call about the prang, although there was absolutely no mechanical damage and the cosmetic damage was pretty minor - I pushed my repairer to quote for a new bonnet and bar basically so it'd look like new - a few stone chips over the years were rid of immediately!

I just contacted Redbook and they're going to write me a customised certificate after I complained that the listing on the site isn't representative of a fully modded M Sports version, even though the photos they use demonstrate this. Pretty misleading for buyers and sellers alike. Hopefully they give me a decent evaluation!
      09-07-2011, 09:12 PM   #1068
cozza
///Mthusiast
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, some of those 70 are my mate and I perving on your car. He's in the market for a 125i like yours but his budget's lower and he wants one with lower km.
Quit perving and buy it

Good luck finding an M Sport with less than 45,000 for under $45,000.

Your mate wouldn't be Daniel by any chance? I received an email from a forum member this morning who's based in Sydney.
      09-07-2011, 09:20 PM   #1069
Drawn05
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:

Hey, look at my details...I have a 125i.

Keep up the revs and its a great drive. I had mine tuned about 6 months ago and its more than enough power for general daily driving.

The price difference between mine and the 135i was 18k so I never feel bad about not getting one.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 09:22 PM   #1070
cozza
///Mthusiast
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drawn05 View Post
Hey, look at my details...I have a 125i.

Keep up the revs and its a great drive. I had mine tuned about 6 months ago and its more than enough power for general daily driving.

The price difference between mine and the 135i was 18k so I never feel bad about not getting one.
So you do, apologies

Yeah, they've got plenty of power, especially with an intake and sprint booster, let alone a tune.
      09-07-2011, 09:24 PM   #1071
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

Quote:
Haha

As mentioned, hold out for the right buyer. I'm sure there'll be someone who wants a fully optioned 125i and is happy to pay the premium. If you don't have the luxury of time waiting for this potential buyer to contact you, then reduce your asking price a little further.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 09:31 PM   #1072
cozza
///Mthusiast
Australia
Rep

Touché

Quote:
Originally Posted by woosh View Post
Haha

As mentioned, hold out for the right buyer. I'm sure there'll be someone who wants a fully optioned 125i and is happy to pay the premium. If you don't have the luxury of time waiting for this potential buyer to contact you, then reduce your asking price a little further.
Touché, however that's not "under" $45K, and it has no nav or carbon goodies

I've got some time up my sleeve, but I'm not budging much on price. It's already a good price.
      09-07-2011, 09:32 PM   #1073
ippykaye
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quit perving and buy it

Your mate wouldn't be Daniel by any chance? I received an email from a forum member this morning who's based in Sydney.
Yeah, that's him. We agree your car is very very reasonably priced with all those options.

He missed out on a Space Grey dealer car in QLD. Bloody dealer playing smoke and mirrors because they'd rather sell to a local buyer than dick around trying to ship the car to Sydney. That was an Premium Selection MY09 priced at 49K (I'm sure you've seen it) with 26K kms, same factory options as you.

If I change my mind and start pursuing a 125, I'll let you know

I agree, leave the price as it. Any more and you'll lose room to bargain not to mention money out of your wallet.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 09:35 PM   #1074
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Hang in there cozza. Well optioned cars are easier to sell but it's always harder to recover cost for factory options. My advice would be to wait as long as you can. The right buyer will be happy to pay a premium for your spec car and will be knowledgable of what these options are worth.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 09:36 PM   #1075
cozza
///Mthusiast
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, that's him. We agree your car is very very reasonably priced with all those options.
Hmm, that's him, or you?
      09-07-2011, 10:01 PM   #1076
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Quote:
I've got some time up my sleeve, but I'm not budging much on price. It's already a good price.
Sure you'll drop your price, because you want to sell the car. Cars are like girlfriends, once you're over them, you just can't kick them to the curb fast enough!

There is always that balance of setting a price that is aggressive enough to minimise the time taken to have the transaction over with (and costs of advertising, interruption to your usual lifestyle) vs getting the best price for the car you reasonably can.

Complicating this is that every day your car sits there for sale, it is worth less and less.

It's not an easy balance to strike. What can make it harder is if you struggle with the dynamics of the seller/buyer relationship and the balance of power.

You can stick to your guns all you like as a seller, and insist to all and sundry that redbook is wrong, the people looking at the ad are wrong, the people who come to look at it are wrong. And you are right. OR you can take yourself out of the equation (As much as that is possible) and just view it as one of many financial transactions you will make in your life.

It's just a car. Sell it and move on!

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 10:57 PM   #1077
ippykaye
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Hmm, that's him, or you?
LOL, fine, that's me. Can't speak for him though. Not sure what his current thoughts are. It's good value with the factory options but as others have said, the appearance and performance mods you make tend to devalue a car. I know for sure you'll find someone who'll snap up those CF goodies if you parted them out.

Although I do know that the dealer in QLD and him agreed to 46K delivered in Sydney for that grey one which sat on the market since mid July. In the end, it fell through as the dealer got the same price for a local buyer without having to foot 1K in delivery.

Good luck either way I feel your frustration- given I only just managed to sell my TT after listing it in January. I was offered 48 when I had it listed for 52, but I rejected it at the time . In the end, I only sold it for 44K!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 11:38 PM   #1078
cozza
///Mthusiast
Australia
Rep

Just had the car properly valued by Redbook. Certificate is here, screenshot below.
Attached Images