BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-24-2018, 12:06 AM   #1
kaputt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i 6MT - sold

Can you still buy the BMW Performance Suspension?

I've seen a few threads on here that mention the PS from BMW is no longer available. And I have noticed on a few parts websites that they no longer have it in stock. But the BMW USA site itself still lists the suspension as available for order.

So is it? Or has BMW just not kept up their own accessories page?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 11:45 AM   #2
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Short Answer: It is not.
I attempted to buy it from my BMW dealer three months ago and they said it was unavailable.

Long answer: There may be a few floating out there from some third-party retailers, but even if you find one, you will likely have the following problems:

1: It will likely be only the base kit with the struts/shocks and replacement parts but no springs (the true full PS kit was actually 3 different part numbers - the basic kit I referred to, plus the PNs for the front springs and the rear springs).

2: If it has the springs as part of the kit, they will be a "one-size-fits-all" solution, and you will be unable to get the correct spec springs for your configuration.

Best case scenario, you could find the basic kit as described in 1 above, and then be able to source the correct springs separately (they are still available).

I wanted to go the PS route, but ended up just getting Koni Sports for the struts and will be adding the BMW PS springs once I do my major suspension overhaul (springs, front control arms, camber plates, new RSFBs, etc...)

Good luck.
Appreciate 2
Esteban42239.50
      06-25-2018, 12:06 PM   #3
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
Short Answer: It is not.
I attempted to buy it from my BMW dealer three months ago and they said it was unavailable.

Long answer: There may be a few floating out there from some third-party retailers, but even if you find one, you will likely have the following problems:

1: It will likely be only the base kit with the struts/shocks and replacement parts but no springs (the true full PS kit was actually 3 different part numbers - the basic kit I referred to, plus the PNs for the front springs and the rear springs).

2: If it has the springs as part of the kit, they will be a "one-size-fits-all" solution, and you will be unable to get the correct spec springs for your configuration.

Best case scenario, you could find the basic kit as described in 1 above, and then be able to source the correct springs separately (they are still available).

I wanted to go the PS route, but ended up just getting Koni Sports for the struts and will be adding the BMW PS springs once I do my major suspension overhaul (springs, front control arms, camber plates, new RSFBs, etc...)

Good luck.
Yeah, I was just checking around the interwebs for another member and couldn't find it anywhere (tbh, didn't search that hard). Glad I have mine but when the time comes to replace it I will probably go with the B12 Pro-kit or something similar, but that won't be for a long time.

Another possible choice would be the Bilstein B8 Performance Plus shocks and struts paired with my BMW Performance springs. This is probably a better choice for me than the B12 kit because I think the Eibach springs in the B12 kit might be too low for my taste.

But the question is how long will the BMW Performance springs be available for anyone else interested in buying them?
      06-25-2018, 01:30 PM   #4
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
But the question is how long will the BMW Performance springs be available for anyone else interested in buying them?
Good question. I am hoping they will be around long enough for me.

The B12 kit is probably not the best option in your case, because as you stated, the Eibach springs may be too low (I know you like it on the conservative side, like me) and because your PS springs will probably be good for a long time, and should easily outlast your struts. I'd just be looking for struts only when the time comes, and the B8 or Koni Yellows are probably your best options.

I am now running the Konis on stock sport springs, and they are excellent. I don't really want adjustable struts once they are all set, but the adjustment is nice to dial them in to my tastes. I've already adjusted the fronts once and may try to go stiffer and see if I like it or, if not, go back to where I am now.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 02:27 PM   #5
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
Good question. I am hoping they will be around long enough for me.

The B12 kit is probably not the best option in your case, because as you stated, the Eibach springs may be too low (I know you like it on the conservative side, like me) and because your PS springs will probably be good for a long time, and should easily outlast your struts. I'd just be looking for struts only when the time comes, and the B8 or Koni Yellows are probably your best options.

I am now running the Konis on stock sport springs, and they are excellent. I don't really want adjustable struts once they are all set, but the adjustment is nice to dial them in to my tastes. I've already adjusted the fronts once and may try to go stiffer and see if I like it or, if not, go back to where I am now.
I think the BMW Performance springs will last a good long while, and like I mentioned in my post above, the choice for me WOULD probably be the B8 shocks and struts. Same as in the B12 kit minus the Eibach springs. That will be a while for me and who knows, I may find something I think will be better by then. lol
      06-26-2018, 12:20 AM   #6
kaputt
Captain
Rep

Appreciate the responses. I too am a fan of a more conservative drop. I will take a look around and see what I can find.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 12:34 AM   #7
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

+1 for BMWP springs and Koni Sports or Bilsteins. I did the springs and Koni Yellows about a month ago and couldn't be more pleased.
      07-04-2018, 05:15 PM   #8
kaputt
Captain
Rep

Is there any way to find out what the correct springs/part number would be for my car? I think I have found a place that has the kit minus the springs. And a place that has springs, but I’m not sure if they’re the ones designed for my car.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2018, 09:43 PM   #9
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaputt View Post
Is there any way to find out what the correct springs/part number would be for my car? I think I have found a place that has the kit minus the springs. And a place that has springs, but I’m not sure if they’re the ones designed for my car.
If the place with the springs is a BMW dealer they can certainly tell you what springs are appropriate. Most any dealer can plug your VIN into the spring selector and give you the part numbers.

Unless you found some excellent deal or used springs, getBMWparts prices very competitively and Jason R. can tell you the correct springs.
      07-23-2018, 02:41 PM   #10
kaputt
Captain
Rep

Does anyone know what the difference is between the the performance suspension for cars "with M Sport Suspension" and cars "without M Sport suspension"?

GetBMWParts lists that they have the Performance Suspension in stock for cars without the sport or M Sport suspension. But I can't figure what the difference might be. Is there a rear swaybar included or something that the M Sports already have?Is everything else in the kit the same?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 02:45 PM   #11
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

If you want a performance suspension go aftermarket, hands down. BMW's idea of a performance suspension is feeling sporty on your drive to the golf club at 20 over. It's a total waste of time and money.

PSS9/10 are a pretty idiot-proof shock / spring combo that will vastly improve your handling. Same with KW v1. You don't want too many adjustments at first and those keep it simple. As a bonus you will be able to dial in your ride height on each corner.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 03:05 PM   #12
kaputt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
If you want a performance suspension go aftermarket, hands down. BMW's idea of a performance suspension is feeling sporty on your drive to the golf club at 20 over. It's a total waste of time and money.

PSS9/10 are a pretty idiot-proof shock / spring combo that will vastly improve your handling. Same with KW v1. You don't want too many adjustments at first and those keep it simple. As a bonus you will be able to dial in your ride height on each corner.
Appreciate the input, however that's actually kind of the feel I'm going for. This is my first foray into modding a car, and I'd personally like to start conservatively. I know that BMW parts are expensive, but for peace of mind I like going the manufacturer route to start.

And that's why I'm trying to find out if there is a difference between the kits for cars with Sport/M sport suspension and those without. I'm looking at diagrams and I think its just that the kit for cars without Sport/M Sport includes a rear sway bar as well. But I think the shocks, and front sway bar are all the same parts. The springs I can get from GetBMWParts that are VIN matched.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! There aren't many of these kits lying around so I'm trying to move fast.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 03:30 PM   #13
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
I know that BMW parts are expensive, but for peace of mind I like going the manufacturer route to start.
You're talking about parts that are made with by far the #1 priority being to mass produce them as inexpensively as possible and they are specifically NOT made for performance anything. Bilstein or KW will be SIGNIFICANTLY higher quality than the stock dampers, and they cost more because they are designed with other considerations than just being cheap for the manufacturer.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 03:39 PM   #14
Zombie_Head
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: E30 325i 4-Door

My local dealer (leebman24) still offers it for the E82.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 11:35 AM   #15
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Does anyone know what the difference is between the the performance suspension for cars "with M Sport Suspension" and cars "without M Sport suspension"?

GetBMWParts lists that they have the Performance Suspension in stock for cars without the sport or M Sport suspension. But I can't figure what the difference might be. Is there a rear swaybar included or something that the M Sports already have?Is everything else in the kit the same?
The kit for cars that don't have the M Sport suspension includes a rear swaybar. Everything else is the same.
      07-24-2018, 05:22 PM   #16
kaputt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
The kit for cars that don't have the M Sport suspension includes a rear swaybar. Everything else is the same.
Yep, I was able to get my local dealer to email me the parts list for both kits. All that's different is the rear sway bar and associated parts.

My local dealer wanted $1300 and was claiming that the Performance Springs weren't included in that cost. They were unwilling to price match anyone either, so I went ahead and placed the order with GetBMWParts for $890 (not including springs). Hopefully will hear soon how long it will take to get the order in.
Appreciate 0