BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-22-2018, 02:52 PM   #1
jcouture40
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 128i 6MT

Front Bumper: Repair or Replace?

Needing some help with my front bumper damage.

So, for those familiar with the Orlando area...
I was driving down the "developing country" highway known regionally as I-4 today, and my front bumper was hit by two pieces of what seemed to be large plastic construction debris.

This did some damage to the front bumper (see pics), but not sure if its something that can "buff out" or needs replacing entirely.
My collision insurance deductible is $750, so would rather not file a claim if its cheaper to repair, than to replace.

Thanks for the help.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 03:00 PM   #2
ArmatageShanks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 6MT

I don't know anything about damage repair. But I can tell you that it would be cheaper to avoid insurance if replacing. You could find a color matched bumper for ~$300. Non-M bumpers are always popping up because those with 128's are upgrading to Msport and Mperformance.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 05:57 AM   #3
low135
Banned
Rep
Drives: E88 135i

If these things flew off a truck you were following, it would not be collision, it would be comprehensible. If you drove into the debris without any other party involved, that is collision. If you haven't already called your insurance company, take that into consideration if your comp deductible is lower. Mine is $50 because of this kind of stuff, deer, vandalism, and acts of nature.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2018, 11:16 AM   #4
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by low135 View Post
If these things flew off a truck you were following, it would not be collision, it would be comprehensible. If you drove into the debris without any other party involved, that is collision. If you haven't already called your insurance company, take that into consideration if your comp deductible is lower. Mine is $50 because of this kind of stuff, deer, vandalism, and acts of nature.
After the fact, trying to prove exactly what happened to your insurance company might be difficult. They will probably call it collision.

Getting a new bumper cover installed, with painting, is not going to cost all that much more than your deductible ($700+); I'd guess well under $1000 if you pay for it yourself and negotiate with the body shop. If you pay yourself, your insurance company will not raise your rates, especially if they don't know about it.

One has to balance the current value of the car vs. the cost of repair. If you can find someone competent who can repair vs. replace, it probably would cost a whole lot less than replacement, maybe $200 to $300.
      06-25-2018, 06:12 AM   #5
jcouture40
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 128i 6MT

Thanks for the advice.

The debris seemed to be already on the highway, but were kicked up/agitated by the minivan driving in front of me. Since it did not fall or involve another driver, I am technically at fault (ei. collision). Would also be difficult to prove after the fact to my insurance (as champignon said).

Thankfully, after some searching, I was able to find a body shop owner who was suggested by my local BMW Owners group. Quoted me $300 to fill and respray (other Indy body shop quoted me ~$600). Will most likely be going in that direction.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 10:22 AM   #6
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcouture40 View Post
Thanks for the advice.

The debris seemed to be already on the highway, but were kicked up/agitated by the minivan driving in front of me. Since it did not fall or involve another driver, I am technically at fault (ei. collision). Would also be difficult to prove after the fact to my insurance (as champignon said).

Thankfully, after some searching, I was able to find a body shop owner who was suggested by my local BMW Owners group. Quoted me $300 to fill and respray (other Indy body shop quoted me ~$600). Will most likely be going in that direction.
Good luck. I have generally been pleased by the minor body work I have had done in body shops over the years. This might not please some people who walk around with a paint thickness gauge in their back pockets, but if you have reasonable expectations you can probably expect them to be met.