BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-20-2014, 05:11 PM   #2487
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
and so I parked them together!
Doh! So wish you had your 313s on to compare. What do you think though now that you've seen it in person? Your disdain for it seems to be legendary on the forum. You should take it for a spin and see what you think. I'd bet the farm it's an 8-speed auto, too.
it is more despicable in person than it is in photos, really. LOL.

it looks like a smashed and crashed 1er.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 05:19 PM   #2488
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:

Ha! I was so turned off by seeing that mineral grey one online the other day that I won't even bother driving the 5 minutes to go see it in person. It looks like the bastard illegitimate child of a 3-series and Z4 that's missing a chromosome or two.

It's amazing how much bigger and wider the headlights and entire front seems. I'm hoping they can somehow make an M2 that remedies it the same way I don't like the 4-series, but I really like the M4 in pictures (until they released the pricing).
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 05:21 PM   #2489
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Quote:

Ha! I was so turned off by seeing that mineral grey one online the other day that I won't even bother driving the 5 minutes to go see it in person. It looks like the bastard illegitimate child of a 3-series and Z4 that's missing a chromosome or two.

It's amazing how much bigger and wider the headlights and entire front seems. I'm hoping they can somehow make an M2 that remedies it the same way I don't like the 4-series, but I really like the M4 in pictures (until they released the pricing).
it's not aggressive at all....it looks very soft
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 05:22 PM   #2490
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
terrible pic but gives you a perspective of how much more aggressive the 1 is
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 05:23 PM   #2491
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
BMW's answer to what a sports car would look like utilizing the design principles of a Pontiac Aztek? =)

The issue perhaps is that with our car, all the lines on the front - headlights, grille, vents, etc. are more vertical. Everything on the 2-series is at like a 45 degree angle going down and towards the middle. That just isn't an aggressive design (to me). It's like they put silly putty on our car's face (like kids do on a newspaper), then stretched it out wide.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 05:25 PM   #2492
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Quote:
BMW's answer to what a sports car would look like utilizing the design principles of a Pontiac Aztek? =)
you should go see it and take pics with your 'is'. I'd love to laugh at the comparison!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 05:30 PM   #2493
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
you should go see it and take pics with your 'is'. I'd love to laugh at the comparison!
I fear it may do long-term emotional and psychological damage to my car just to subject it to standing next to it. I shant subject her to that kind of mental anguish and suffering. I must protect her and nurture her. It's like when someone says, eww, this is the most disgusting thing I've ever eaten...here, try it!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 06:05 PM   #2494
motorchimp
I have Brimbo's
Rep
Drives: 135is, X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post

The issue perhaps is that with our car, all the lines on the front - headlights, grille, vents, etc. are more vertical. Everything on the 2-series is at like a 45 degree angle going down and towards the middle. That just isn't an aggressive design (to me). It's like they put silly putty on our car's face (like kids do on a newspaper), then stretched it out wide.
Now that Pontiac's gone bye bye the Aztek is like a classic!

I guess the face of the 2 goes in line with all the new BMW stuff, it's not the worst, but i don't like it. What i don't like at all is how its bigger. At least it's not called a 1 anymore, so we should be safe

Quote:

Thanks for posting those comparo pictures, I can't wait to see one in person (not for any good reason)
      02-20-2014, 06:08 PM   #2495
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorchimp View Post
Now that Pontiac's gone bye bye the Aztek is like a classic!

I guess the face of the 2 goes in line with all the new BMW stuff, it's not the worst, but i don't like it. What i don't like at all is how its bigger. At least it's not called a 1 anymore, so we should be safe
I agree. I mean, have ANY of us ever thought, gee, I wish our car was 4 inches longer? The M235i is the same length as the new corvette.

The irony is I ordered my car in fear that the new 235 would look like the european M135i just in coupe form and I didn't really like that. But what they made looks even worse. At least the M135i is a bold design. I forget when those first truly uncovered spyshots of the red M235i came out, right around I think when my car was arriving in May and all I thought was it looked like a honda civic.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 06:45 PM   #2496
AGAV13
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 135is (#363/586)

Thanks owen2001 got the stickers and BMW plate. Can't wait to throw the stickers on. Now I need to decide whether or not to keep the M Performance Power Kit pate on or switch to the "correct" one.
Attached Images

SOLD
2013 BMW 135is #363/586 - AW, Black Boston Leather w/ Exclusive Blue Stitching, Prem., Tech, DCT, Heated Seats, HK
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 07:00 PM   #2497
AGAV13
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 135is (#363/586)

Sticker installed. Was going to do a DIY but it would have taken too long. Haha
Attached Images

SOLD
2013 BMW 135is #363/586 - AW, Black Boston Leather w/ Exclusive Blue Stitching, Prem., Tech, DCT, Heated Seats, HK
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 08:20 PM   #2498
ISLong
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135is

A few shots...
Attached Images

2013 BMW 135is Le Mans/exclusive 6MT #516 of 586
|Hardwired Valentine K1|TMS Aluminum pedals|BMWP interior|COBB Sport Springs|FRP Front Splitters|BMW Performance CF Lip Spoiler|AA Strut Tower Brace|AA Charge Pipe|AA 4" Catless DP|AA Sport FMIC|Phoenix yellow Cyba scoops|AFE Stage 2 oiled|JB4|
2002 BMW M3 Imola/black 6MT (RIP)
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 08:21 PM   #2499
ISLong
Private First Class
Rep

The profile
Attached Images

|Hardwired Valentine K1|TMS Aluminum pedals|BMWP interior|COBB Sport Springs|FRP Front Splitters|BMW Performance CF Lip Spoiler|AA Strut Tower Brace|AA Charge Pipe|AA 4" Catless DP|AA Sport FMIC|Phoenix yellow Cyba scoops|AFE Stage 2 oiled|JB4|
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 08:22 PM   #2500
ISLong
Private First Class
Rep

Love the smoked badges
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 08:24 PM   #2501
ISLong
Private First Class
Rep

Big fan of the brakes
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 08:25 PM   #2502
ISLong
Private First Class
Rep

Not that bad in estoril right?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 08:31 PM   #2503
ISLong
Private First Class
Rep

We got an estoril blue one in today....as well as a couple 228's, one in alpine, one in Melbourne. The 228 looked really good I thought and I liked the look much better than the 128. I thought the 235 looked very good from the side but the back was pretty awful. If it had more of our front and rear with the new profile it would be gorgeous. Lots of nice things though, the m performance breaks are lovely and I liked the "smoked" color of the wheels and badges. Overall, not a fan, the hood slopes down a lot like the 3 series and the rear is not very attractive at all. Looks more like a predecessor or just smaller version to the 3 series than the successor to our 1's. That estoril blue though....
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 09:40 PM   #2504
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is AW/Black 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISLong View Post
We got an estoril blue one in today....as well as a couple 228's, one in alpine, one in Melbourne. The 228 looked really good I thought and I liked the look much better than the 128. I thought the 235 looked very good from the side but the back was pretty awful. If it had more of our front and rear with the new profile it would be gorgeous. Lots of nice things though, the m performance breaks are lovely and I liked the "smoked" color of the wheels and badges. Overall, not a fan, the hood slopes down a lot like the 3 series and the rear is not very attractive at all. Looks more like a predecessor or just smaller version to the 3 series than the successor to our 1's. That estoril blue though....
Thanks for posting the pics. All I can say is.....

PROS: Estoril blue! Nice brakes.

CONS: Soft, fat and plump looking. Kind of looks like a 1 Series that sat around drinking every weekend and got the middle age spread. The styling just does not look crisp. Maybe in person it will look better to me. Now driving it may be a different story (eight speed auto! electric steering! Woo!), but for now I'm not impressed at all, sorry.

Now, I just wish Greg would tell us how he really feels about this car and stop tiptoeing around the issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 09:47 PM   #2505
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouper View Post
Thanks for posting the pics. All I can say is.....

PROS: Estoril blue! Nice brakes.

CONS: Soft, fat and plump looking. Kind of looks like a 1 Series that sat around drinking every weekend and got the middle age spread. The styling just does not look crisp. Maybe in person it will look better to me. Now driving it may be a different story (eight speed auto! electric steering! Woo!), but for now I'm not impressed at all, sorry.

Now, I just wish Greg would tell us how he really feels about this car and stop tiptoeing around the issue.
I will stop skating around it. Don't like it, at least in pictures. Will go with some wit in brevity for once and say only things I like are the gauges and sound system. Hate the wheels. They look plasticky gray and our 313s look SO much better, meaner, more refined, more everything. Hate the M on the side and the design is just blah. Looks like it was left out in the sun and melted in weird ways. Why put the door handle in the middle of the crease/shoulder line? The side mirrors look like turds and like cheap $2 attempted knock offs of Audi S models and don't fit/suit the car. I actually like the big bulging rear tail lights, but hate how the trunk looks like the sign for Pi.

To make a long story short, I just placed my order for a glacier silver M235i with every option and am putting 313s on. Should be here around May 1.

So much for wit in brevity. I talk too much and type too fast.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 06:27 AM   #2506
JeffyD
Destroy All Monsters
United_States
Rep
Drives: '02 EB M Coupe, '11 M Coupe

Let's put it this way- I was looking at ordering an M235i, doing the whole experience, or whatever, and had already earmarked the funds to do so.

Then I finally actually sat down and compared it to the outgoing ones... Man, I don't know. There are pieces of the new model that just do look more... "Correct." Like, the designers sat down, and made sure to try to make every detail as sporty as they could, and it just looks, overall, pretty meh in comparison.

I had no intention of buying a one, but there's something cooler about it, in my opinion, because it has a couple of obvious "not originally sport-intended" elements. When they first hit our shores, all I ever read from people was that the roofline was too tall and awkward... I don't know. I kind of agree that it is. And, to me, I think it has a better character for it. I prefer the lines because they do, overall, seem a little dorkier, or at least, less "in your face aggressive no fear second place is first loser fist pump roar Grrrr I am all man I swear let's fight" sporty.

Like I've said, though, people called the m coupe the awkward clown shoe, and I think it's the best designed car ever. Absolutely love it. So, my opinion doesn't count for beans. But, honestly, who cares. The car will drive like a boss, just like the car that it replaces. It'll just do it with a little more bloat. Ha.

PS - The new Estoril is not as hot as the old one. Wish it weren't so, but.... Yar. She be not quite the looker she used to be, mateys.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 07:44 AM   #2507
morningscifi
Null
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Yeah, I don't understand all the hate. Well... everybody's going to have styles they do and don't like. I think it looks pretty cool in the pictures. I wouldn't (didn't) buy one over my 1. I just like the 1 more.

The front is especially weird for me. I like it when I look at it. But then I look closer and it really weirds me out.. the lippy things underneath the top of the openings on the left and right grilles - I don't know how I feel about that.

If there was no such thing as a 1-series, I might have bought one. Maybe I should get one of these for a beater and leave the 1 in the garage
2013 135is | Le Mans Blue | #542 / 586
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 08:31 AM   #2508
motorchimp
I have Brimbo's
Rep
Drives: 135is, X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
I will stop skating around it. Don't like it, at least in pictures. Will go with some wit in brevity for once and say only things I like are the gauges and sound system. Hate the wheels. They look plasticky gray and our 313s look SO much better, meaner, more refined, more everything. Hate the M on the side and the design is just blah. Looks like it was left out in the sun and melted in weird ways. Why put the door handle in the middle of the crease/shoulder line? The side mirrors look like turds and like cheap $2 attempted knock offs of Audi S models and don't fit/suit the car. I actually like the big bulging rear tail lights, but hate how the trunk looks like the sign for Pi.

To make a long story short, I just placed my order for a glacier silver M235i with every option and am putting 313s on. Should be here around May 1.

So much for wit in brevity. I talk too much and type too fast.
I think what you're trying to say is the 2 series ain't keepin' it real.
Appreciate 0