E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > New POIs on Navi (Professional)

04-30-2006, 03:31 AM   #111
StressFull
Rep
Drives: BMW 525d

Guys,

I am just getting mad....

Active Perl 5.6
Windows XP SP2
Used the original script from Mathmos (that I give here, as I am really doubting of everything...)

I get the following message :

C:\>perl scriptjav.txt sample.asc
Can't take log of -1 at script.txt line 41, <> chunk 1.

HELP, I'M TIRED OF IT !
Dr Fluid, still I would like an exe....

Last edited by StressFull; 06-02-2006 at 04:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2006, 03:36 AM   #112
StressFull
Rep

Just did the trick with :

$/ = "\n"; # set input record separator
$\ = "\r\n"; # set output record separator

and at least not error message.

However I opened the 2 URL, they look the same, but the one I did is with <CR> at each end of line under VEdit, when the one from Mathmos is without...

Same for IDX, I generate much more <CR> than in the original file of Mathmos. Attached a sample of my result...

Any hint ?

Last edited by StressFull; 06-02-2006 at 04:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2006, 04:10 AM   #113
mathmos
Rep
Drives: 525d

Ok, I've done some playing with your files and my files to try and find out why yours comes out differently and why you need to modify the perl script and I don't and I've manged to find the answers.

<whispers> You know I said that I used Activeperl, I was lying

I originally installed Activeperl as that was what others in this thread mentioned however then gave up using it when people said it didn't work. I then went down the linux virtual machine route instead. I still wanted an all windows solution so I downloaded Cygwin that jav mentions earlier in this thread to see what that was. Installed that choosing to install perl and a couple of editors only. Didn't think anything else of it because I thought Cygwin was a command shell that was only there when you started the application and hence applications included in Cygwin would only be availble when you were running the Cygwin shell. That does not appear to be the case, or certainly not with perl it doesn't. When I type perl -v at an ordinary command prompt it tells me "This is perl, v5.8.7 built for cygwin" !!!

I'm really, really, really sorry for leading some of you up the garden path but I had no idea that perl for Cygwin was usable outside of Cygwin and it was that which was running when I run javs perl script.

Anyway at least I have found a version of perl that does work as we want under Windows! Does that redeem me?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2006, 05:05 AM   #114
mathmos
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StressFull
Mathmos,

I have the same car than you with Nav Pro. My dvd is 2006-1, and however I do not have the same files than you. For instance, my working dir is : \tpd\ntcBeu_eu_20050704...

Anyone has got something different again ? BMW might also have changed some parameters alongside with filenames...

Just my 2 cents.

Keep posting.
Yes, things do appear to differ slightly from release to release. The 2005-01 has a different folder name to the 2006-01 and 2006-02 and in the lsc file the 2005-01 doesn't have a category that the 2006-01 does have and the 2006-02 introduces a couple more categories that the 2006-01 does not have.

But so far the procedure works ok on all these disks thankfully.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2006, 05:14 AM   #115
mathmos
Rep

Quote:
Also, another challenge for your mathmos. As the script needs obviously some adaptation, and as most of us travel all accross europe, what about writing a url and idx that would encompass all speed cameras in Europe ?
Tough work, but you seem to master it !
I'm in the middle of the work, I'll probably suggest some modifications for your how to once finished.

Thanks !
If someone can provide me with an asc file with the relevant info in it, I don't mind generating the idx and url files.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2006, 06:30 AM   #116
mathmos
Rep

I'm going to put together over the next few days what I hope will be a comprehensive HowTo guide. Covering software that works, different NAV DVD versions, examples etc.

Will post a copy here as soon as I having to show.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2006, 07:58 AM   #117
StressFull
Rep

I've just installed Cygwin and it is working !!!
Same files... I'm just amazed !

Make sure you put in your howto that you need to specify during the installation of cygwin that Perl has to be installed (default no installation !).

Mathmos, do you know if the "ESPANA" or "BELGIE" in my case are of importance ? I would like to have NETHERLANDS, GERMANY, FRANCE AND BELGIUM all in one file ?

Anyway, I'll try with my own ASCs. I'll keep you posted.

SO THIS IS OFFICIAL AND AGREED : use Cygwin under Windows, not ActivePerl !
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2006, 08:25 AM   #118
mathmos
Rep

Quote:
I've just installed Cygwin and it is working !!!
Same files... I'm just amazed !

Make sure you put in your howto that you need to specify during the installation of cygwin that Perl has to be installed (default no installation !).

Mathmos, do you know if the "ESPANA" or "BELGIE" in my case are of importance ? I would like to have NETHERLANDS, GERMANY, FRANCE AND BELGIUM all in one file ?

Anyway, I'll try with my own ASCs. I'll keep you posted.

SO THIS IS OFFICIAL AND AGREED : use Cygwin under Windows, not ActivePerl !

Well Done Sir!

I've been looking and it certainly appears that you can have different countries all in one file. Take a look at other url files on the NAV DVD and in many cases you'll find a mixture of countries.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2006, 08:54 AM   #119
StressFull
Rep

Live from home....
Burn the dvd (by the what file system did you use with dvd decrypter ? ISO 1999, ISO+Joliet or ISO+UDF) ?

Was very excited....

BUT... No menus at all !!

2 options :

1. the default mode for burning images from Nero is corrupting some text files

or

2. my lsc files are wrong (I modified eng.lsc and fre.lsc, as my default language is french). Did not work in english either....

Shall I go on or am I doomed ?

I shall go on, with your support guys !

Will keep you posted !

Just in case you want to spend some time, my lsc files in attachement...BTW Mathmos, did you modify TPD-SEV in lsc files ?

Last edited by StressFull; 06-02-2006 at 04:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2006, 09:05 AM   #120
mathmos
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolfoxs
Hi

Just being trying to find why my place names do not appear, noticed that Jav's (excellent) perl script hardcodes the country to the url file. Those outside Spain may wish to either rehardcode their own country (for local POI's) or even consider extending the script to have the country read record by record from the input file (asc modifed).

Just a thought!

Keep on hacking!

G
I'm no expert but I think that I may have sussed this out. Looking at the perl script jav posted it would appear some spurious spaces have appeared in the line that generates the header for the url file so the Name field does not get its length value defined correctly and other parts of the header also come out wrong.

You need to edit line 33 ( the line that begins )

print URL "POSWGS:S

and remove the spaces that occur here

NAME:S:$name len

so it becomes

NAME:S:$namelen

and here

so it becomes

COUNTRY:S:6 (though if you change the country in the asc to UK this will become)

( or the length of whatever country you have in your asc file ) and

ENTP4:S:0|E NTP5:S:0

so it becomes

ENTP4:S:0|ENTP5:S:0

and

B RANDNAME:S:0|_:S:0";

so it becomes

BRANDNAME:S:0|_:S:0";

I did try to include the whole of the corrected line in this post but even with the CODE tags around it, it seems this board is inserting those spaces.

Hope this helps!

[LATER]

I can confirm that making the corrections outlined above does result in place names being displayed correctly

Last edited by mathmos; 04-30-2006 at 10:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2006, 09:25 AM   #121
mathmos
Rep

Quote:
Live from home....
Burn the dvd (by the what file system did you use with dvd decrypter ? ISO 1999, ISO+Joliet or ISO+UDF) ?

Was very excited....

BUT... No menus at all !!
I know the feeling well !!!!

What I did was:

Generate all the files required: idx, url, lsc, sf*htm, st*htm etc.

Make an image of the DVD using Nero (creates a .nrg file)

Open .nrg using UltraISO, right click on the image name (CD_nnnn) and select Properties.

In the CD File Section ensure only ISO 9660, Joliet and UDF are ticked.

In the ISO 9660 FileName Format section select the Windows/Unix(31) option and leave the other options alone.

In The Joliet FileName Format Section select the Extended(110) option.

On the Date/Time tab tick the Creation and Modification boxes but do nothing else. Now press OK to save these preferences.

Drag and drop the files you have chaged\created from their relevant location in the bottom part of the UltaISO window to the correct location in the top part of the UltraISO window (will be obvious!)

Do a Save As and give the image a filename and type .iso

Close UltraIso

Open DVD Decrypter, from the menu select Mode | ISO | Write

Select the .iso file you created and then click on Write to burn the DVD.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2006, 11:13 AM   #122
StressFull
Rep

So, my dear Mathmos,

I am proud to announce you that (drums) :

IT IS WORKING !

I now have your nice icons on my maps, and it is just plain great !
Thank you forever, I have tried since the beginning of this thread and only today, after 20+ DVD failed, I have succeeded !
This is indeed only thanks to you. You took the time to explain.
I would add that I burned on a very good medium (Verbatim) and very slow (x2 on a x 16 media).

Mathmos, as I firmly believe in sharing (some nutcase wanted to sell this on ebay...), I am ready to help you on the redaction of the howto, to make it idiot proof, as I have some experience about being idiot (or ignorant).

Guys, it is a just a very happy day ! Sounds childish, but that is how I feel !
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2006, 11:36 AM   #123
mathmos
Rep

Excellent, well done sir! Glad I could help.

Was this with the corrections to the perl script I outlined a couple of posts up?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2006, 12:04 PM   #124
StressFull
Rep

Yep, I noticed it in the url file just before you posted it.
Also I think the properties with UltraIso were of help.
Finally, I also re-organised the initial asc file which was a mess.

No I am wondering if we could append several files to do BELGIUM FRANCE and other countries... Or modify the perl script with an "IF" depending on the input file ?

What do you think ?

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2006, 01:18 PM   #125
rudolfoxs
Rudolf OS X
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI 325i M Sport Touring

Mathmos

Thanks - I had spotted the same thing after my post. I'll try it tonight.

Cheers

PS: Thanks for sticking around to help us all out!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2006, 04:30 PM   #126
mathmos
Rep

Quote:
No I am wondering if we could append several files to do BELGIUM FRANCE and other countries... Or modify the perl script with an "IF" depending on the input file ?

What do you think ?

Cheers.
Its been a struggle but I think I've done it. I've no experiance of perl but through a bit of trial and error I have managed to amend the perl script to accept a 4th parameter (Country) in the input file and produce (I believe) a correct url file accordingly.

I've included the amended perl script in the attachment with this message along with my sample input file and the resulting idx and url files.

Perhaps if you don't mind risking wasting one more DVD you could give it a try?
Attached Files
File Type: zip MathmosBits.zip (2.2 KB, 347 views)
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2006, 12:29 PM   #127
rudolfoxs
Rudolf OS X
United Kingdom
Rep

Mathmos

You wer're right. Removed the spaces and (plus a few user errors) now I'm the proud user of three new catagories.

Of course, I'm not satisifed - now I'm off to add a submenu for Supermarkets, improve the quality of my icons and even correct the x,y co-ords for the local Dealer Service shop! I might even try to work out what some of those Roll's Royce POI's are and activate them....

Cheers & good luck to everyone else

G

PS: I used your modified Perl, it worked great (and on my three .asc's - National Trust, English Heritage and Tesco). I'm thinking of trying another mod to allow a command line variable for the group number (e.g. 9000) as used in sf_/st_nnnn.... I'm no Perl expert either If that works. I might explore what changes in the car when you populate more fields e.g. City, Street etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2006, 01:24 PM   #128
StressFull
Rep

Mathmos,

Worked like a charm. I have the speed cameras of Belgium and France on my screen...

Thanks for your excellent spirit. Again, I think you should write a HowTo, and I am ready to either write or correct and improve should you need me. Just PM me anytime.

Thanks again, it's been a pleasure "talking" to you.

All the best !
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2006, 01:51 PM   #129
drfluid
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 - 330i Navi, Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav

POS:P:8 is just longitude and latitude expressed as 32-bit signed big-endian integers. But be aware that, just after the first two lines of the *.idx files, there's a binary lookup table that needs to be created.
jav,

Could you elaborate on the binary lookup table after the first two lines of the idx files?

I need to understand what information the table might have to creat EXE.

Thanks.
      05-01-2006, 04:32 PM   #130
mathmos
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolfoxs
I'm thinking of trying another mod to allow a command line variable for the group number (e.g. 9000) as used in sf_/st_nnnn.... I'm no Perl expert either
I was thinking along the same lines (changes to the script not your perl expertise ) and after a bit of playing I have come up with the attached version of the perl script that takes two input parameters: the file name AND the group number.

So you would call it thus

perl createidxurl.pl inputfile.asc 9000

or

perl createidxurl.pl inputfile.asc 9001

Note to non-UK readers: This script sets the country field to UK so remember to change this and the country field size accordingly.
Attached Files
File Type: zip createidxurl.zip (1.0 KB, 406 views)
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2006, 01:02 AM   #131
rudolfoxs
Rudolf OS X
United Kingdom
Rep

Mathmos

You've got way too much free time on your hands!

I'm already suffering the evil glares from Misses and 1yr old daughter over the time its taken me to cut my first six test disks!

Looking forward to test driving your new script once I am back later this week.

Hopefully I'll post that I've succesfully got the submenus working....

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2006, 03:20 AM   #132
drfluid
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 - 330i Navi, Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfluid
jav,

Could you elaborate on the binary lookup table after the first two lines of the idx files?

I need to understand what information the table might have to creat EXE.

Thanks.
I sort of figured out the 'binary table' after the first 2 lines in a idx file.
It is a table with 2 column indicating a line number of a POI and its corresponding x coordinate.

I sampled some original idx files out of the DVD, but the interval in the table is not equidistant.

One file has [0 20 40 60 78 89 ...]th location in the binary table, whereas the other has [0 50 91 122 155 205 255 ... ].

Is there or should there be a certain rule in writing this binary table?

Once i understand the order for the binary table, then it's no problem to create EXE. I think I will write a code in FORTRAN rather than in Matlab.