BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-27-2007, 12:05 PM   #111
ghotman906
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgerMitFries View Post
Well, since you asked...not really, removing badges for no apparent reason, "smoking" lenses, installing big rims, lowered suspension is all very juvenile and just makes the owner look foolish. Those modifications are what you do to an old piece of junk like a 1988 Golf when you're a kid with no money and can't afford to buy something new and nice like a BMW with a M-package.

When I sell my cars, they are 1 owner unmolested "survivors" that live in a garage. Sell a car that's been owned under those circumstances, and you get top dollar for it. People beat a path to your door for an unmolested original because so many people have made the mistake of ghettofying a car.

Just get the good engine, pay the extra money for the M-pak, or "ZHP" option (performance package) if offered and you want something distinctive. Leave debadgeing and smoked lenses to the children, because that's where it belongs.
I dont mean it like that, but from my point of view, the 1 series would look much better if it had somehow borrowed? the headlight taste from the 3 series... and I meant it as if BMW would've changed them, I didnt mean to go aftermarket.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 12:27 PM   #112
eMINI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghotman906 View Post
I dont mean it like that, but from my point of view, the 1 series would look much better if it had somehow borrowed? the headlight taste from the 3 series... and I meant it as if BMW would've changed them, I didnt mean to go aftermarket.
We knew what you meant. Wolf prolly did too, but he couldn't resist the temptation to favor us with his opinion.:wink:
2010 135i Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Red Leather | Poplar Grey Wood Trim | 6MT | Premium pack | M Sport pack | Heated Seats | HK Premium sound | USB | Smartphone integration | Automatic high beams
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 12:32 PM   #113
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
................. This is more like it.

...absolutely
seeing this pic makes me think back to what the 2002Tii meant to BMW.

If this is even close to what that car was at the time...... :wub:

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 12:40 PM   #114
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon K View Post
Interesting to catch the reaction of some regulars here as the veils of wishful illusion are gradually stripped from their eyes with the release of less-disguised photos... The design weaknesses obvious here were apparent (if less obvious) earlier but folks just didn't want to see them.

This backend reveal is one brutal shock. Not quite up there with the first Bangled 7 series rump but close. Combining the tall, square profile of the 1 coupe's rear together with the characterless rear lights and the awkward and unattractive cut of the trunk lid edges that create a "tacked on" appearance for the lid, the end result is classic mid-90's econobox styling a la Hyundai Elantra or Toyota Corolla....

And man does that ruler-straight crease along the side look ugly! I'm still hoping this looks a LOT better in person....
Did Jeremy Clarkson move to TO? Are you from TopGear? Come on, Devon... That just sounds like bashing for bashing's sake, to me. It can't all be that bad....

:bs:
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 01:09 PM   #115
eMINI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Interesting to catch the reaction of some regulars here as the veils of wishful illusion are gradually stripped from their eyes with the release of less-disguised photos... The design weaknesses obvious here were apparent (if less obvious) earlier but folks just didn't want to see them.

This backend reveal is one brutal shock. Not quite up there with the first Bangled 7 series rump but close. Combining the tall, square profile of the 1 coupe's rear together with the characterless rear lights and the awkward and unattractive cut of the trunk lid edges that create a "tacked on" appearance for the lid, the end result is classic mid-90's econobox styling a la Hyundai Elantra or Toyota Corolla....

And man does that ruler-straight crease along the side look ugly! I'm still hoping this looks a LOT better in person....
Well... we'll just have to see what it looks like in person. I don't trust "official" photos much. I trust "leaked" photos less. The Hans Stuck shots were encouraging. These were not.

That said, the appearance is close enough if the performance and driving experience are what they should be. With the right color choice and wheels it's going to look great.

Besides, love is blind, right? After 10 minutes in the Z3-based M Coupe I totally forgave its appearance. I actually decided I liked it. The 135 has much less to overcome and much more to overcome it with.
2010 135i Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Red Leather | Poplar Grey Wood Trim | 6MT | Premium pack | M Sport pack | Heated Seats | HK Premium sound | USB | Smartphone integration | Automatic high beams
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 01:28 PM   #116
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezbst View Post
I am going to wait until the next-gen 1-er. Hopefully it will look a bit more like the rendering that adorns the header of this site.
Couldn't have said it better myself, assuming of course that some of the problem areas (headlights, rear end, better wheels) are somehow addressed before the car makes its way to dealerships.

As I have said already--I was REALLY excited about this car last week...most of that has faded away...
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 02:06 PM   #117
kway
BMW CCA# 144245
Rep
Drives:

I'm obviously seeing this thread a bit late, but as I got through it, I was glad to see I'm not the only one feeling a bit let down by the back end. All that gushing in the beginning had me thinking my contacts may be due for a change. I'm sure it will grow on me, as all recent BMW designs seem to do, but why should it have to? I still remember seeing the E46 coupe for the first time and getting that "must have one, NOW!" feeling. Here, on a car I've been eagerly anticipating over the past few YEARS, not so much. And all that buildup to it, with the last real element of camo being saved for the rear..... just leaves me disappointed. Agree 100% on the headlights brookside, I was really hoping they'd do something different for the coupe. I'll probably still get one, I'm just not chomping at the bit quite like I was before. Could be a good thing, it will give me some more time to hold out for an ///M version (I refuse to give up on that possibility).
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 02:09 PM   #118
aesthetect
form follows function
United_States
Rep
Drives: GC impreza

im surprised everybody has lost so much heart so easily, its still the same car as the red and the grey ones pictured. i think brooks was right in that these photos were released in a dumbed down version (wheels, ride height, bad quality/coloring) purposefully to heighten excitement when we see the real thing (which you all have made them very successful at). its still the same car with the same lines as we've been seeing for weeks.. just take what new information you can

that being said i am kind of disappointed at the "roundness" of the back end, at least like the line on top of the trunk. the taillights i like, kind of volvoish. but i mostly gotta say that i dont see why they have been taping the headlights if they had nothing to hide. they look like somebody photoshopped them in these latest, and only uncovered pics, and just completely desaturated the front lamps and messed with the brightness/contrast. and i dont know if its a photoshop as well but i think brooks was right that the front bumper looked better with the black section unpainted.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 02:25 PM   #119
wooter
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Interlagos Blue

BMW says this:

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/about/new...156___,00.html
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 02:34 PM   #120
wtmsf
Registered
Rep
Drives:

I can't wait!

I love my 325xi. My lease is up next year and I be leasing 135i for sure...The perfect car for the city and much "younger" and "fun" than the current 3 coupe.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 02:38 PM   #121
02cruzer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

See even that one in the news article is lower. So if they released that, where is the rest of the press release, more pics please

Oh, and I'd like some of the 02 colors back.

If you guys (and gals?) remember, Ford did a photo leak of the new mustang and people tore into it. The taillights were awful, Ford changed them. The introduction is still a few months away.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 04:36 PM   #122
FROGGY
Registered
Rep
Drives:

It doesn't look as sexy as I expected (like the photoshop I saw at least one year ago, and like the photoshop of this forum)
And in the french forum (I'm french) I'm use to go, the people don't like it (its "beauty") that much.
I'm a bit disapointed :iono:
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 04:56 PM   #123
The Stig
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp, 2021 X7

Garage List
From the BMW Website listed above:

Quote:
The BMW 120d Coupé will be available in ES, SE and M Sport guises, while the 123d Coupé will be offered in SE and M Sport and the 135i Coupé just as an M Sport. M Sport raises the specification bar by including 17-inch light alloy wheels on the 120d and 123d Coupé but unique 18-inch light alloy wheels on the 135i Coupé, M Aerodynamic package, M Sports suspension, Sports seats, High-gloss Shadowline exterior trim, M leather steering wheel, M designation door sills and Anthracite headlining.

I hope they offer this on the US spec versions as well, If i dont want to spend the money on a 135, i hope i can still get the ///M sport pack on any other model. If not, then my M3 will probably just stay by itself in my Garage.

PERSONALLY, I LOVE IT...although I dont think the pictures are doing it justice. I hated the new Camaro Concept until i saw it in perosn as well. Dont pass judgment on a 2 dimensional picture, until you see the 3 dimensional car!!!
      06-27-2007, 05:12 PM   #124
Dinos120ci
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design1stCode2nd View Post
Some real quick and dirty shops in blue and black.

I do think I see a thin taillight near the top of the trunk but it's very hard to see with this color and the image quality.
Can you make another one in white? Thank you very much in advance!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 05:34 PM   #125
jt328i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2000 328i

Quote:

I totally agree with you Devon K on the trunk lid... it looks tacked-on like an afterthought. It doesn't look at all integrated... there's wide gaps and differences in surface height between the lid and surrounding sheetmetal. What is it with recent BMWs and the trunk lid? First the 7s, then the 5s, and now this (if these pictues are an accurate representation of the final product, which many on this forum are questioning). They redeemed themselves with the E90 and E92 trunk lids which look good IMHO.

I mentioned in my first post how the car looks great in some pictures (like the dark grey car in the mall parking lot) but plain with arguably ugly design elements (like these latest ones at the internal "launch" ). I guess we just have to wait until we see it in the metal. I'm still liking it overall and it will still likely be my next BMW.

The info from the UK press release was interesting. It does confirm that there will be a 135i, but since we won't be getting the diesel versions at least initially in CAN and the US, I'm sure we'll get a 128i (or 125i or 130i) with a naturally aspirated inline six. How can you not have a newly introduced model without a classic BMW inline six... it's blasphemous. I haven't driven the twin-turbo, but factoring in cost and BMW-ness, I'd go with the naturally aspirated.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 06:13 PM   #126
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Well, not only was the the 135i confirmed, but is was also confirmed that it will receive the full 306 horsepower treatment instead of a claimed restricted engine. Desperately need to see more pictures though. Looks great so far.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 06:18 PM   #127
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower View Post
Well, not only was the the 135i confirmed, but is was also confirmed that it will receive the full 306 horsepower treatment instead of a claimed restricted engine. Desperately need to see more pictures though. Looks great so far.

GOD YES!! YES!! YES!! DID I SAY YES? THIS CAR JUST GOT SOO MUCH MORE ATTRACTIVE!!! THIS MADE MY DAY. HONESTLY. NOW I JUST WISH YOU NEWBIES ON HERE WOULD STOP PISSING ME OFF WITH YOUR NEGATIVITY. KEEP THEM TO YOURSELVES UNTIL THE OFFICIAL PICS. THATS WHAT IM DOING WITH MINE FROM HERE ON OUT.
      06-27-2007, 06:41 PM   #128
BIG4
Tiny little noooob
Rep
Drives:

I am not sure on what to say after these latest photos. But what i can comment si that if we all really liked the car being photographed we woulnt be discussing the lighting or the photoshop factor now would we?

Nevertheless the colour indeed doesn't help. I now all about the orange 2002ti of the past (my father owned one, thats the car i learnt to drive) but this is 2007 and the last time BMW or any german automaker sold a red-ish coloured car in europe, berlin was devided by a stupid concrete wall...

Anyway i think that the main problem with the car is its front and not its back. I can live with back but by not changing the frontlights, BMW offers today a car that on first sight looks like the 1 series of '02 and that as most people will tell you is not a good thing.I know they are meant to be in the same series but a coupe is sporty and aggressive and surely "aggressive" can't look like that. While for the last couple of years we all have got used to watch, drive or, some of us, maybe even dream of an E90/92 3 series/coupe or an M3, this comes out and takes us back to a face we have almost forgotten.
And it's ugly or uninspiring faces that usually get forgotten...

I really hope that even in the last minute something gets changed. I mean it is bloody obvious:we all liked the pic of the grey m sport coupe and you know why?
because the black tape on the headlights makes it look like the shape of a 3 series coupe which has to be the classiest thing on wheels. I know they are meant to be different but this is a step back in people's minds and however strong BMW think their brand name is, no brand name can win over beauty its that simple.
I am not flaming the car,I am sure it will cut corners like a knife and leave a few creases on the tarmac on its way but I am just troubled with the missed opportunity this might prove to be.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 07:13 PM   #129
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design1stCode2nd View Post
Some real quick and dirty shops in blue and black.

I do think I see a thin taillight near the top of the trunk but it's very hard to see with this color and the image quality.
Wow, just wow. Amazing photoshops man. I was wondering if you put together a "dirty shop" in white???? Once again, your help is MUCH APPRECIATED.
      06-27-2007, 07:53 PM   #130
bruiserk18
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 BMW X3

I'm not sure if these pictures have already been posted here, but it gives an interesting angle and better perspective of the width.

For the record I think this thing is gonna be smokin!! :roundel:

Credit where due (http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2007/06...arly-july.html)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 07:54 PM   #131
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

Great news indeed..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower View Post
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 08:18 PM   #132
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

BMW NA would be extremely foolish not to bring the same 135i Coupe to the US.

The 135i Coupé just as an M Sport. M Sport raises the specification bar by including 17-inch light alloy wheels on the 120d and 123d Coupé but unique 18-inch light alloy wheels on the 135i Coupé, M Aerodynamic package, M Sports suspension, Sports seats, High-gloss Shadowline exterior trim, M leather steering wheel, M designation door sills and Anthracite headlining.
Appreciate 0