BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-18-2010, 06:29 PM   #1
JulyBSM135i
Rep
Drives: BSM BMW 135i

Flat Tire replacements

Hey guys, so I went over a pothole on the highway in the eastbay... and now I've got a flat front tire and I need a replacement so I kinda searched a little and found that people preferred michelin sport PS2's better than the bridgestone crap that we got.

So does anyone know if those are the best replacements? I plan on using RFTs still eventhough they suck since I don't wanna put a spare in my trunk and yes I actually did get a flat tire in the middle of nowhere Davis area at 10PM lol which is why RFTs are important to me. Also what size replacements should I get? I have no idea since the michelins don't have the 215/40 and 245/35 tire sizes.

Oh btw, does anyone know if I can still drive my flat tire 3-5 days after it's flat? Cause yea I gotta get to the shop to get the tire changed and wait for them to order the tires once I decide so I'm trying to figure out if I need to be towed or if I can still drive to the shop

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 07:57 PM   #2
Boxtyp3
Major
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 MG

Garage List
2015 F32 435  [0.00]
2002 E46 cp  [0.00]
2010 E82 135i  [0.00]
2013 E92 335i  [0.00]
I got a screw a couple days ago. Some tire store told me that RFT's aren't repairable that I have to purchase a new one. Long story short, I went to America Tires in Union City and they were able to repair it. I'm not sure about the pothole damage though. Try them. They're pretty knowledgable about the field and very nice. I got mine repaired for free BTW coz I've been getting my tires from them on my other vehicles.

Lastly, they told me not to let the pressure drop to 10psi on RFT's.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 09:54 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulyBSM135i View Post

Oh btw, does anyone know if I can still drive my flat tire 3-5 days after it's flat? Cause yea I gotta get to the shop to get the tire changed and wait for them to order the tires once I decide so I'm trying to figure out if I need to be towed or if I can still drive to the shop

You know that is a pretty basic and what I thought simple Q. But... I was looking in my onwers manual and I do not see BMW warning about how far you can drive on a flat tire!?!?

I only see where they say NOT to exceed 50mph or 80kph.

I seem to recall something about not driving more than 200 kms (thats 124 miles) on a flat tire. But I don't know where I saw/read that. Maybe I am not remembering things correctly. Either way... after you drive any distance on a flat run flat tire... that tire will be ruined. You will need to replace it.

This is just one more reason why I bought a mini spare and threw it in my trunk. Peace of mind and knowing I will be mobile even in the unlikely event of a flat tire.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 10:48 PM   #4
Jaguar66
M Power
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: '09 ///M-Sport 135i

I put Michelin PS2's (225/40-18, 255/35-18), on. So smooth. Much better than RFTs. My doughnut spare is on order. You will need to get a jack/lug wrench etc I love these Michelins.
      07-18-2010, 10:53 PM   #5
dragon1761
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i SGM 08; 328i AW 14

Quote:
Hey guys, so I went over a pothole on the highway in the eastbay... and now I've got a flat front tire and I need a replacement so I kinda searched a little and found that people preferred michelin sport PS2's better than the bridgestone crap that we got.

So does anyone know if those are the best replacements? I plan on using RFTs still eventhough they suck since I don't wanna put a spare in my trunk and yes I actually did get a flat tire in the middle of nowhere Davis area at 10PM lol which is why RFTs are important to me. Also what size replacements should I get? I have no idea since the michelins don't have the 215/40 and 245/35 tire sizes.

Do you have BMW assist? If so then its ok to get non RFT. Just press the button the service should be free and they should be able to tow it to get your tires fixed
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 01:34 AM   #6
JulyBSM135i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1761 View Post
Do you have BMW assist? If so then its ok to get non RFT. Just press the button the service should be free and they should be able to tow it to get your tires fixed
Yea I do have BMW assist it's just that I'm not a fan of waiting an unknown number of hours to get towed. I dunno about the BMW assist since I've never used it but I'm not sure if they will come get me in the middle of nowhere late at night lol.

I think I'm gonna have to get my car towed to the repair shop now since I parked my car at home. Anyone know what happens when you drive on a flat lol?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 01:38 AM   #7
JulyBSM135i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
50 miles at 50 mph or less is the limit.

There is a neat little repair kit from Continental if you do not wish to run RFT. I have two towing and service coverages.

There are several zero pressure tires out there, so research carefully at www.tirerack.com

How effective are those repair kits? I keep hearing about them and they are some sealants or tape or something? They any better than a RFT as in more or less reliable and which one can take a bigger beating before crapping out?

My concerns on the roads are mainly sharp objects, like everybody, and damn potholes they are everywhere in the East Bay... so if the sealing kit actually works better for those kinds of damages then I'd definitedly consider switching to non-RFTs assuming that the kit gives me a range of more than 50miles but I looked around and no one really specifies how many you can go after repairing.

Last edited by JulyBSM135i; 07-19-2010 at 01:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 02:25 PM   #8
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

It all depends on the damage and yes, RFT can be repaired in most cases althought not recommended by all tire shops since they wanted to sell you the new ones.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 07:56 PM   #9
JulyBSM135i
Rep

So I've basically decided to just get all 4 tires replaced to michelin ps2's RFT since my two rear tires are almost worn bare and I have one flat front tire. I looked it up on tire rack but I don't know the difference between 88Y and 88W can anyone help me out on that? stupid question that I should probably know the answer to
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 08:27 PM   #10
Jaguar66
M Power
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: '09 ///M-Sport 135i

Quote:
So I've basically decided to just get all 4 tires replaced to michelin ps2's RFT since my two rear tires are almost worn bare and I have one flat front tire. I looked it up on tire rack but I don't know the difference between 88Y and 88W can anyone help me out on that? stupid question that I should probably know the answer to
Call Tire Rack and talk to a rep.
      07-20-2010, 11:51 AM   #11
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
You know that is a pretty basic and what I thought simple Q. But... I was looking in my onwers manual and I do not see BMW warning about how far you can drive on a flat tire!?!?

This is just one more reason why I bought a mini spare and threw it in my trunk. Peace of mind and knowing I will be mobile even in the unlikely event of a flat tire.
My '08 manual states that it is dependant on load:
"1 or 2 persons, no luggage - maximum 155 miles
4 persons, no luggage - maximum 90 miles
4 persons, full luggage - maximum 30 miles"

Rather than using up precious trunk space, I carry a small compressor and plug kit - whether using conventional tires or RFTs.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 11:56 AM   #12
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
W and Y are subsets of Z.
Z = 149+
W= 168 maximim
Y = 186 maximum.

So if you plan to drive at speeds between 168 and 186 mph, by all means get the Y rated tires, otherwise, I'd buy whichever is less expensive.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 09:16 PM   #13
JulyBSM135i
Rep

Ok so I had a last second change of heart and realized that RFT's are too much of a hassle and I cannot stand not being able to drive on the flat RFT after 3 days since ordering tires is ridiculous so I've decided to buy non-RFT's.

My question is what size spare does everyone get? I mean our front and back tires are different sizes. It's such a hassle lol it'll be a lobsided vehicle. I'm just curious about the size of the spare that everyone else gets so I know what size my spare should be.

It's sad...I'm carless because of one flat tire for 2 weeks...
Appreciate 0