E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > V1 Install Help (Removing the front dome light)

02-08-2006, 08:51 PM   #1
UnPossible
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

V1 Install Help (Removing the front dome light)

Hey - can anyone give me some pointers on removing the dome light assembly. I've looked over the DIY section, as well as the owners manual (which "shows" you how to remove it in order to manually close the sun roof).

For the life of me, I can not get it to come out and I don't want to break it. In the pictures, it appears that you just use a screw driver or putty knife to pry it out... but it feels like it will break.

Thanks,
Jason
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2006, 11:17 PM   #2
UnPossible
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Ok - I got it out....... but I used a different method than those I found searching the forum.

I was not able to get a screw driver up high enough to pop the clips.
What I did was sort of accidental. In the process of trying to hit the clips, I knocked the trim ring off one of the map lights. With the ring out, you can actually see the clips that hold the assembly in place.

A bent up metal thingy from a binder clip worked pretty well to hook the clip and pull it towards the rear window, releasing the whole assembly. Just thought that I'd post this alternative method as it only took me 2 hours to figure out how to get the damn thing off! Using this method, I could probaly do it again in less than 5 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2006, 09:45 AM   #3
ben1364
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330iA

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnPossible
Hey - can anyone give me some pointers on removing the dome light assembly. I've looked over the DIY section, as well as the owners manual (which "shows" you how to remove it in order to manually close the sun roof).

For the life of me, I can not get it to come out and I don't want to break it. In the pictures, it appears that you just use a screw driver or putty knife to pry it out... but it feels like it will break.

Thanks,
Jason
Jason, the dome light assembly fits tighter than in earlier BMWs and the clips are at the front. Use a small flat blade screwdriver (clean!) and pop one clip loose and pull that side down 1/4 inch then do the same on the other side. The leading edge of the assembly will come down and you can rock the unit forward to release it from the hooks on the rear. Follow the pics in the Owners' Manual and recognize that it is a tight fit. Good luck!
Appreciate 0