BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-21-2014, 09:08 PM   #1
galois
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xdrive; 2009 135i

WS80s very squirmy, need recommendation

Hey all,

I know this has been posted about in the past, but the info relates to some older models and I wanted to see if anyone had some input with what's out now. So sorry if this is somewhat redundant.

Anyway, I bought a set of WS80s (215/45/17) about two weeks ago and am not particularly happy with them. They were great at slow speeds in the snow we had last week here on the front range, but most of my drive is on a very well plowed road at ~80mph, and anytime I get them above 65 or so they get really squirmy.

I've heard some people recommend correcting this by going to a RFT winter tire, maybe like an LM-25, and also going up to a 225/45/17 size. I was a little hesitant about this after ditching my stock RFTs for Michelin A/S 3s for my warm weather set, but I'm starting to think this may be the best approach. The guy I spoke to at discount tire said he actually recommended I also go back to a staggered set, but I thought that sounded odd for snow traction (I don't need to get up the mountains, but I would like to have ground clearance by my concern, not traction).

Also, my suspension is completely stock (trying to wait until after the winter to start performance upgrades).

Anyone have experience with this problem? What did you do to fix it, or did you just get used to it?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 09:34 PM   #2
FactorX81
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i, 2014 Ford Escape Ti

I just got used to it. Unfortunately that's just a characteristic of standard snow tires.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 09:34 AM   #3
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Going to a performance winter tire, even in a non run flat like the Blizzak LM32 in 225/45R17 would be much more stable (but is also quite a step down in snow/ice traction). No need to stagger, I agree that would not be a great plan.

Winter http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AW7&...nter/index.jsp

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 02:59 PM   #4
gmartan
GB
Canary Islands
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by galois View Post
Hey all,

I know this has been posted about in the past, but the info relates to some older models and I wanted to see if anyone had some input with what's out now. So sorry if this is somewhat redundant.

Anyway, I bought a set of WS80s (215/45/17) about two weeks ago and am not particularly happy with them. They were great at slow speeds in the snow we had last week here on the front range, but most of my drive is on a very well plowed road at ~80mph, and anytime I get them above 65 or so they get really squirmy.

I've heard some people recommend correcting this by going to a RFT winter tire, maybe like an LM-25, and also going up to a 225/45/17 size. I was a little hesitant about this after ditching my stock RFTs for Michelin A/S 3s for my warm weather set, but I'm starting to think this may be the best approach. The guy I spoke to at discount tire said he actually recommended I also go back to a staggered set, but I thought that sounded odd for snow traction (I don't need to get up the mountains, but I would like to have ground clearance by my concern, not traction).

Also, my suspension is completely stock (trying to wait until after the winter to start performance upgrades).

Anyone have experience with this problem? What did you do to fix it, or did you just get used to it?
I certainly had this issue with my 350Z. Serious winter tires have separated rubber blocks which twist under load so lose traction while cornering or stepping hard on the gas. Compare those to a Michelin Alpin 3 performance winter tire. Note the connected blocks on the shoulders. I use these in a 225/40-18 square set-up and the wet/dry traction is amazing. They may not be great in deep snow but I was able to get going on an icy uphill grade and out of my complex through 100 feet of 6 inch deep unplowed snow. They are stable at speed and have a really nice ride with reduced understeer. Highly recommended for those not needing to plow through really deep snow or heavy slush.

Last edited by gmartan; 11-22-2014 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: .
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 06:24 PM   #5
angler
love to fish!
Rep
Drives: 13: SG 135i M-Sport Cabrio 6mt

I would not go staggered. Also you need to decide how much snow traction you want to give up for dry pavement. There is a balance. You might want to look at the Michelin X-Ice3. Good snow tire and really good on hard pack snow and dry pavement. Isn't as good in deep snow and slush, but it still gets the job done. From what you describe it might work for your needs.
      11-22-2014, 10:03 PM   #6
sodara
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

No disrespect but...how's your alignment and tire pressures? When I first had snow/ice tires I increased pressure to reduce that "gummy bear" feel.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 11:13 PM   #7
galois
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xdrive; 2009 135i

None taken! (I'm honestly a noob at this and could always use the "obvious" advice) I had honestly assumed they filled them properly when they put them on, but after reading all the threads on improper inflation lately I'm realizing I need to check pressure first thing in the morning. Will update if it turns out to be too low.

And thanks to all for your comments. I've been thinking on it a good deal more and the truth is I don't really need deep snow traction on this car, since all the roads I use to get to work are plowed regularly. Am going to check a few things on the wheels first (pressure/alignment) and then probably look into either Xice3s or LM-32/25s (in a square set up, probably 225/45/17).
Appreciate 0