BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-02-2013, 02:32 PM   #1
FRNTHVY
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M/M3

CF Parts in winter?

Hey Guys,

This may sound like a silly question but I live in WI and got a 135i for a DD. As many of you know it is very hard to not mod these cars and I am done with bolt on mods for now and want to get a few cosmetic things. I am thinking about getting a CF rear diffuser, CF rear spoiler, and a CF front lip.

Since I drive this car year round, including winter where they use salt, will I have any issues with the carbon pieces? I know they are clear coated like regular painted panels but for some reason I am thinking it is not the same because CF is more sensitive.

Any insight from those who DD their cars with CF bits? Thanks!

Sam
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Driving my car everyday and sometimes it really looks scary...
But when car is washed carbon parts looks like new
I would more worry about sun heat and road rocks
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #3
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

You're right, the carbon parts all all clear-coated. I've had CF mirror caps and a spoiler for years now, and this is my third winter with a CF hood. No problems. If you wax it regularly (or better, use a long-lasting synthetic sealant, though it's not necessary), you'll be fine.

The clear coat should also be UV-resistant, so the CF does not yellow in the sun. My spoiler and my old hood still yellowed. The spoiler was bought on the forums from a less-reputable vendor who is no longer around, and the hood was from Seibon and they replaced it under the warranty. New hood has not yellowed in the past 1.5 years.

I daily drive with CF hood, mirrors, spoiler, eyelids, roundels, and I just got a trunk, and I'm looking at a diffuser now. Lol, CF overkill, I know, but hey I love the stuff. I'm not worried at all. The clearcoat protects the CF just as much as it protects the paint, and let me tell you, BMW paint is REALLY crappy in terms of resilience. Only piece of yellow CF on my car is the spoiler, which I bought for $100 (years ago when NO spoilers cost that much), from a shitty vendor who got kicked off the forums.

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 09:55 PM   #4
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
You're right, the carbon parts all all clear-coated. I've had CF mirror caps and a spoiler for years now, and this is my third winter with a CF hood. No problems. If you wax it regularly (or better, use a long-lasting synthetic sealant, though it's not necessary), you'll be fine.

The clear coat should also be UV-resistant, so the CF does not yellow in the sun. My spoiler and my old hood still yellowed. The spoiler was bought on the forums from a less-reputable vendor who is no longer around, and the hood was from Seibon and they replaced it under the warranty. New hood has not yellowed in the past 1.5 years.

I daily drive with CF hood, mirrors, spoiler, eyelids, roundels, and I just got a trunk, and I'm looking at a diffuser now. Lol, CF overkill, I know, but hey I love the stuff. I'm not worried at all. The clearcoat protects the CF just as much as it protects the paint, and let me tell you, BMW paint is REALLY crappy in terms of resilience. Only piece of yellow CF on my car is the spoiler, which I bought for $100 (years ago when NO spoilers cost that much), from a shitty vendor who got kicked off the forums.
what he said.

I've had grilles, spoiler, and mirror caps for a 1-2 years now and they look brand new. My car even sits outside all day and has been snowed on and gone through 100+ constant texas heat.

Someone gave me a turtle wax super hard shell paste wax and I've just put that on the car every 5 months or so.
      01-03-2013, 06:34 PM   #5
FRNTHVY
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M/M3

Thanks for the responses! I am sure that the quality pieces will hold up (OEM) but I wonder how the eBay things would. The price of some of those pieces are very appealing.

Sam
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 06:37 PM   #6
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRNTHVY View Post
Thanks for the responses! I am sure that the quality pieces will hold up (OEM) but I wonder how the eBay things would. The price of some of those pieces are very appealing.

Sam
My eyelids are eBay china-made carbon fiber. The weave is good, but the fit isn't the greatest (they needed a bit of... flexing.. and some extra 3M tape to get them to sit right). However, they haven't faded a bit since I bought them.

Don't have any other eBay quality parts other than roundels and wheel caps, and those haven't faded either.

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 07:03 PM   #7
hyper1
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013, Z4/28

winter versus cf

Quote:
Originally Posted by RimasRS View Post
Driving my car everyday and sometimes it really looks scary...
But when car is washed carbon parts looks like new
I would more worry about sun heat and road rocks
A1
i have cf hood, trunk, flip, diffuser and more
You should see that crap when the streets are fill with brown slush.
I wash the car and the cf parts look new again.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #8
cartaa100
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i, 640i, X6M50d, X3M40i

I don't think the salt would be to bad for it, I just worry about the salt rusting the car
Appreciate 0