BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-21-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
tranism
Care Bears vs Klingons
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe

STANDARD vs SULEV

Question for the pros on here. When I ordered my car in California, I noticed a SULEV designation. Other than lower emissions, is there any other difference from the standard engine?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 05:57 PM   #2
ejm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135 Convertible 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranism View Post
Question for the pros on here. When I ordered my car in California, I noticed a SULEV designation. Other than lower emissions, is there any other difference from the standard engine?
I believe it also comes with a 50 hp reduction from the standard engine
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 05:59 PM   #3
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
N51 SULEV v N52

This is from the Bimmerforums:

"The N51 has a different cylinderhead with lower compression, a plastic cylinderhead cover with a different crankcase ventalation valve, a DISA intake manifold, and different cats. The performance should be nearly identical."

I cannot confirm this but I also heard the DME is de-tuned compared to the N52's.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 06:02 PM   #4
tranism
Care Bears vs Klingons
United_States
Rep

Interesting. I remember reading SULEV in California means you pay less for registration too. Not sure.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
tranism
Care Bears vs Klingons
United_States
Rep

Found this:

Low Emission Vehicle (LEV): This is the average vehicle, the minimum that you can legally drive in California.

Ultra Low Emission Vehicle (ULEV): ULEVs are described as 50% cleaner than the average new vehicle for the model year.

Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle (SULEV): SULEVs are 90% cleaner than the average new vehicle for the model year.

The 328i SULEV uses the N51 versus the N52 engine. In order to comply with SULEV requirements, the N51 is a variant of the N52 engine. Some of the SULEV measures for the N51 include:
• Near engine catalyst with additional underbody catalyst
• Secondary air system
• Optimized combustion chamber geometry in cylinder head
• Modified piston crown for lower compression
• Plastic valve cover with integrated crankcase vent valve and separator (from N52KP)
• Stainless steel fuel lines with threaded connections
• Radiator with “Prem-air” coating
• Throttle system - EGAS08 carried over from N52KP
• Airbox with Activated carbon filter for EVAP control
• Purge system pipes are made from “optimized” plastic

BMW claims there is no performance difference other than the increase in weight which adds about 30 lbs.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 09:16 AM   #6
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N51

Another difference is that if the N51 is coupled with an automatic transmission, the transmission has a N51-specific mode of operation. That is, during the engine warm-up phase, the transmission will automaticlly shift to neutral when the vehicle comes to a stop. When you release the brake pedal, the transmission shifts back into gear. This behavior reduces load on the engine when it's cold, further reducing emissions. Once the engine has sufficiently warmed up, the transmission behaves like any other automatic typically does.

Regarding the power difference, there was a N51 dyno posted on this site (or maybe it was E90post) recently and it showed that peak horsepower and torque numbers are the same, though the N51 has slightly more area under the curve in the low- to mid-range. This is undoubtedly due to the DISA 3-stage intake manifold that the N52 lacks. The trade-off is that you can feel the changeover points for the intake manifold on the N51 (though they are slight) as engine speed climbs, whereas the N52 is very linear from idle to redline.

Also, it's been noted on this site not too far in the past that some of the N52s have the underbody catalysts, also. This is because there are actually two versions of the N52, LEV and ULEV, with the ULEV having the underbody cats.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 09:28 AM   #7
amancuso
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330it, 428ix, 430i

I had one of those SULEVs and it was fine, only problem was the cold start neutral thing... So far I've not noticed it on the 2012, but im not sure which one that car is.
      07-22-2016, 05:07 PM   #8
Mongwit
Registered
Rep
Drives: 128i

One other difference is in the warranty. SULEV cars registered in Arizona, California, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, or Vermont are covered by the "California Emission Control Warranty". This warranty covers emissions related parts for 15 years/150,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 08:38 PM   #9
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Ah, the old SULEV discussion.

It probably won't make any difference to whomever buys one, but why would you buy a performance car that has been doctored specifically to comply with some federal regulation to allow a manufacturer to produce other vehicles? Why would you want the added complexity which produces no benefit to you as the owner? Aren't cars complicated enough without adding additional stuff to them that is of no benefit to the owner? Something else to break, perhaps something they will cover under warranty for a period, but something else to break, nonetheless.

If one's concern is with the environment when it comes to buying a car, why not just put one's money where one's mouth is, and buy a Prius?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 08:53 PM   #10
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
If one's concern is with the environment when it comes to buying a car, why not just put one's money where one's mouth is, and buy a Prius?
And shift the majority of your pollution source to electrical power plants instead? Or the toxic heavy metals used in the batteries in electric cars which will eventually have to be disposed of when the batteries reach the end of their service life.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 10:34 PM   #11
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
And shift the majority of your pollution source to electrical power plants instead? Or the toxic heavy metals used in the batteries in electric cars which will eventually have to be disposed of when the batteries reach the end of their service life.
Hey, bro, we are in complete agreement. All this green shit is more shit than green!

But the undeniable fact is that a lot of people fall for this nonsense, and go out and buy themselves a Prius (or Tesla or Leaf or whatever). There is no other reason to buy a SULEV BMW, than a watered down version of why people buy Priuses.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 03:06 PM   #12
MarceloS
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW128 2010 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongwit View Post
One other difference is in the warranty. SULEV cars registered in Arizona, California, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, or Vermont are covered by the "California Emission Control Warranty". This warranty covers emissions related parts for 15 years/150,000 miles.
I just got the Eccentric Shaft Sensor replace in my 128 convertible 2010 with 45,000 miles. After a routine service appointment when I left the dealer the service engine turned on and the car was having idle and shifting issues so I went back to the dealer. The estimated repairs quote was $10,500. Everything got covered under California Emission Control Warranty, SULEV. This should apply for fuel pumps that are integrated with the gas tank. Another ridiculous high cost repair. I am glad I didn't have to pay for it but this is too much for green compliance.
Appreciate 0