09-26-2012, 12:56 PM   #23
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by firechicken99 View Post
interesting.... vewwry vewwry interesting! (input best elmer fudd voice here )
A few years back I was at Porsche AG in Zuffenhausen(in Stuttgart) on a factory tour... our tour guide was pointing out the different color brake calipers on the various Porsche's being built there (911 & Boxster/Cayman)... black for standard models, silver/platinum for Carerra 4 and 4S (AWD) models, red for turbo models and yellow for ceramic brakes. Then he showed us the build sheets hanging from the hoods of the cars on the production line... each showed what country the car was destined for. USA, Canada, EU and RoW. I then asked him why some of the car were identified as PRESS (presse) cars! And then that is when I noticed every press car has RED brake calipers even the non sports models and every car had special looking cross hatch pattern on the brake rotors! Clearly the press cars at Porsche were getting some "special" parts that regular production cars did not get!

Later that day I walked across the street to the Porsche Zentrum (dealer) where there is a sort of mini museum of special historic race cars mixed in with the "factory demos" that are for sale... then I noticed the very same "special press cars" that had the red brake calipers were also "mixed in" for sale with some of the demo low mileage street cars. There were all good deals to be had... but I could spot which cars were just "slightly" different from the regular "demos". I would have no trouble owning one of those "press cars".

Dack
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 12:59 PM   #24
Dung8
Rep
Drives: Bmw 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpowell View Post
Another update (sorry, I'm bored in work so I'm digging around on this issue to help fill in the gaps)...

When BMW first launched the 1M some dealer networks were loaned a 1M from BMW HQ for a limited period of time (1 or 2 weeks). The dealers were allowed to loan these cars to prospective customers etc.

After a bit of digging it looks like your car was loaned to Sytner group at some point, who in turn loaned it out to prospective customers for extended test drives (Kanaga being one of them). It also appeared in Canary Wharf a few weeks later for a Photoshoot.

With that in mind, it might not have ever made it out to the motoring press, but it was certainly a BMW UK loan/press car.

Does it still wear the "BMW UK" number plates or have they been changed for dealer named plates?

Don't apologize. Thank you for all your help.

They are "vines guildford" plates.

I was aware it was a BMW car as I could see on the v5 and the fact he told me, but he said someone at bmw was running it not that it was a press car, I would have remembered!

With this in mind what should I do, just clarify with the dealer over an email that it was fully checked before sale? Surely I can't ask for anything now that I own it.

Obviously I checked the car over before purchasing it, and its in great condition, and overall am very happy with it.

As long as it was not driven to death, I can deal with it going on extended test drives as it was the spec I wanted.

Any further advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by Dung8; 09-26-2012 at 01:00 PM.. Reason: Forgot to say.. Will this effect future resale
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 01:14 PM   #25
firechicken99
Major
Rep
Drives: Black '07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
A few years back I was at Porsche AG in Zuffenhausen(in Stuttgart) on a factory tour... our tour guide was pointing out the different color brake calipers on the various Porsche's being built there (911 & Boxster/Cayman)... black for standard models, silver/platinum for Carerra 4 and 4S (AWD) models, red for turbo models and yellow for ceramic brakes. Then he showed us the build sheets hanging from the hoods of the cars on the production line... each showed what country the car was destined for. USA, Canada, EU and RoW. I then asked him why some of the car were identified as PRESS (presse) cars! And then that is when I noticed every press car has RED brake calipers even the non sports models and every car had special looking cross hatch pattern on the brake rotors! Clearly the press cars at Porsche were getting some "special" parts that regular production cars did not get!

Later that day I walked across the street to the Porsche Zentrum (dealer) where there is a sort of mini museum of special historic race cars mixed in with the "factory demos" that are for sale... then I noticed the very same "special press cars" that had the red brake calipers were also "mixed in" for sale with some of the demo low mileage street cars. There were all good deals to be had... but I could spot which cars were just "slightly" different from the regular "demos". I would have no trouble owning one of those "press cars".

Dack
oh hell yes that sounds awesome!!! haha I concur sir!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 06:18 PM   #26
octainejunkee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 f80 Comp, MPE, stage 1

welcome mate.
Im off to a brandshatch trackday on the 30th of oct if you want to bring yours along for some track time.?
whats the spec of your 1M?

With regards to yours being a press car
- id write an email asking for conformation that it wasnt used as a press car as you were informed it was run by "someone at BMW"
- not potentially raped on a track for 7000miles.

See what they say and get the sales guy to confirm its history and if he lies to you then let us know what he says?
- you might get something out of it but if not rest assured these cars are tough and as long as it drives how you expect then i wouldnt loose sleep over it.

Cheers Jamie
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 04:11 AM   #27
mogli882
Rep
Drives: 3 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by octainejunkee View Post
welcome mate.
Im off to a brandshatch trackday on the 30th of oct if you want to bring yours along for some track time.?

- id write an email asking for conformation that it wasnt used as a press car as you were informed it was run by "someone at BMW"

See what they say and get the sales guy to confirm its history and if he lies to you then let us know what he says?
- you might get something out of it but if not rest assured these cars are tough and as long as it drives how you expect then i wouldnt loose sleep over it.

Cheers Jamie
Good advice +1

I would also ask them for a breakdown of any work done on the car as part of the Approved use checks & the results of any checks i.e. brakes wear etc

Plus request confirmation that there will be no issues with any future warranty claims because of it being a press car?

Most of all - enjoy the car
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 04:27 AM   #28
kmpowell
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogli882 View Post
Good advice +1

I would also ask them for a breakdown of any work done on the car as part of the Approved use checks & the results of any checks i.e. brakes wear etc

Plus request confirmation that there will be no issues with any future warranty claims because of it being a press car?

I wouldn't use the phrase 'press car', because the dealer can still say the car wasn't used by the press and he would technically be correct. The car however was owned by BMW UK, and belonged in the pool of cars that were loaned and used to promote the car. Cars in that pool were not owned by an individual person (so that's a fib by the sales guy) they were loaned to the press and the dealer networks etc

I agree with mogli882, ask them for a breakdown of any work done on the car as part of the Approved use checks & the results of any checks i.e. brakes wear etc Plus request confirmation that there will be no issues with any future warranty claims because of it being a one of the original pool press/promotion cars.

GOX and a few others were hammered to within an inch of their life by the press, and if it were one of those cars you now owned I suspect the advice here would be different (money back etc!). However, if it were me I wouldn't be too worried, because from the evidence on the web it suggests it's not been used for hard test reviews by magazines and TV programmes.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Last edited by kmpowell; 09-27-2012 at 04:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #29
Dung8
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sladeywadey View Post
as hard a distraction as the situation may be, I'd just enjoy the car given as already stated above that it has warranty etc.

Fancy a midnight hoon around north/mid sussex in the next few weeks? that'll help divert attention back to the car
I certainly am enjoying the car! haha sounds good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by octainejunkee View Post
welcome mate.

Cheers Jamie
Brands sounds good. How do I go about booking a place?
Its spec: (from what I can remember!): Folding mirrors, harman kardon, Pro satnav, bmw assit, dab, enhanced bluetooth, lumber, heated seats. I think these are all extras.

Im not looking to get anything more out of the dealer, but I will be writing an email to him asking him to confirm the cars history. I will keep you updated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogli882 View Post
Good advice +1

Yes, sounds like an idea. Alongside asking for him to confirming the history of the car, Once he has replied I will request confirmation it wouldn't effect the warranty and wont effect future trade in values.

Quote:
I wouldn't use the phrase 'press car', because the dealer can still say the car wasn't used by the press and he would technically be correct. The car however was owned by BMW UK, and belonged in the pool of cars that were loaned and used to promote the car. Cars in that pool were not owned by an individual person (so that's a fib by the sales guy) they were loaned to the press and the dealer networks etc

I agree with mogli882, ask them for a breakdown of any work done on the car as part of the Approved use checks & the results of any checks i.e. brakes wear etc Plus request confirmation that there will be no issues with any future warranty claims because of it being a one of the original pool press/promotion cars.

GOX and a few others were hammered to within an inch of their life by the press, and if it were one of those cars you now owned I suspect the advice here would be different (money back etc!). However, if it were me I wouldn't be too worried, because from the evidence on the web it suggests it's not been used for hard test reviews by magazines and TV programmes.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.
Surely all BMW approved cars have to meet the same standard? and all future issues to be covered by warranty? other than consumables.

Since purchase I have noted a smell of burning but was reassured it was disappear. It has lessened but hasn't fully dissipated. I will be booking it into BMW for next week.

Thanks again for all the great advice
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 11:07 AM   #30
biggles
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3/1M (ordered)

Virtually every road test/review I saw involved VO cars rather than BSM (black is hated by pro photographers). As others have mentioned, just because its been a "press department" car doesn't mean it's been thrashed round race tracks etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 04:33 PM   #31
Crispy
Obtuse Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe & Mini GP2

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
Virtually every road test/review I saw involved VO cars rather than BSM (black is hated by pro photographers). As others have mentioned, just because its been a "press department" car doesn't mean it's been thrashed round race tracks etc.
I wouldn't worry about it.

All the fuss about a car having been driven hard, is the assumption that a 1M that has had 7k put on by a private owner has been driven like Miss Daisy? Don't think so.

As long as its in good nick now (brakes are usually the best gauge) then it'll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 10:19 AM   #32
biggles
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Funnily enough I passed another one from the press car list today. YH11OHR passed me in Newcastle, the only other BSM I've seen on the road.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 11:29 AM   #33
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

Quote:
Funnily enough I passed another one from the press car list today. YH11OHR passed me in Newcastle, the only other BSM I've seen on the road.
Funny I saw that one being advertised by Eastern Motor Company (Edinburgh) on Autotrader not even an hour ago!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 06:48 PM   #34
biggles
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by as7920
Quote:
Funny I saw that one being advertised by Eastern Motor Company (Edinburgh) on Autotrader not even an hour ago!
Where I live is on the scenic route from Edinburgh so I guess the guy could have picked it up. The detective work begins........
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #35
Dung8
Rep

Spoke to the dealer (after visiting him for a oil top up!) he said i had nothing to worry about. That all would be covered under the warranty in the unlikely event something went wrong. So feeling better about it now.

On another notes, has anyone else had trouble with their front bumper scraping on driveways etc

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #36
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung8 View Post

On another notes, has anyone else had trouble with their front bumper scraping on driveways etc

Thanks

Big time......., but then I am running coilovers, but still, when running the oem dampers /springs I had to change the way I entered my garage, angle approaching speedbumps etc, now I run the lightweight splitter and that had a caning and a half in north Wales lol
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #37
biggles
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung8
Spoke to the dealer (after visiting him for a oil top up!) he said i had nothing to worry about. That all would be covered under the warranty in the unlikely event something went wrong. So feeling better about it now.

Thanks
Yep, kerbs and multi-storey ramps are a 1Ms nemesis
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 12:39 PM   #38
Dung8
Rep

Any way of purchasing a splitter that will reduce some of the impact on the bumper?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 10:00 AM   #39
PaulMcA
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Afternoon (UK) all.

Just sold my Audi S3 and after some deliberation and choice making, I am now looking at purchasing a 1M. I had an M3 CSL before the S3 and could be fun getting back into the BMW 'M' fold.

I want a white car with a few key options and these seem to be few and far between at the moment.

I have found one within the BMW AUC network and interested if anyone here knows it's history or why I should not buy it. It is a 2 owner car first registered 2011 by BMW UK. Reg no. is YH11 OJN. 2nd owner is a private buy and not got the details yet from the dealer. The reg does not show on your list of press cars, so I am hoping just a standard BMW UK car run by staff.

Anyone recognise or know anything about this car?

Cheers

Paul
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 06:02 PM   #40
PaulMcA
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

No one in the UK to advise?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #41
octainejunkee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 f80 Comp, MPE, stage 1

^ Try starting a new thread, maybe a "wanted white uk 1M" style title
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 09:26 AM   #42
PaulMcA
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks... deposit paid subject to seeing and checking over the car. With performance seats
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 02:20 AM   #43
Jezzer
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Series 1 m coupe

Whereabouts in Herts are you, I'm in N.Herts
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 02:17 AM   #44
scaramanga
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Looking to buy a 1M

Quote:
A bit more digging finds the car was loaned for testing/review by BMW HQ to a Pistonheads user called Kanaga, see his post at the bottom of this page, along with pics of your car...

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...+spotted&mid=0
Sorry for the late response but that is me!

The car was provided to me for a 4 day test drive which persuaded me to order one as a replacement for my E46 CSL.

OP: happy to provide you more info if helpful. I never abuse cars, even if not my own, the beauty of the 1M's torque curve is that you don't need to be high up in the rev range to fall in love with it. Just IMHO.
Appreciate 0