BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-12-2010, 04:47 PM   #1
MikeinAlexandria
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M Sport Convertible

M Sport package suspension/tires thoughts

Greetings.
Just completed a 500+ mile journey in my new 128 M sport. Found out some things, some good, some disturbing. First the good... A little city driving, alot of highwayish (60+ mph on two lane byways) and I got 30 mpg! Pretty good I think! But I am quite confused about the suspension. I was under the impression I have some sort of sport suspension, lower springs, stiffer shocks and (maybe) larger anti roll bars. Does anyone know for sure? The suspension is ok, but certainly not the Bilstein sport in my Lotus. The tires are again, ok, but they are Eagle Nct 5 Grand Touring run flats. At sixty to seventy mph on curvy roads, the car floats a bit more than I like, almost as though it has been cushmobiliezed for the US market. I realize a stiffer suspension and stickier tires will make the ride a little rougher, but that is a tradeoff over the smushy handling.

So my questions are these... Do I get real tires, say the new Yokohama Ad08 (the only extreme performance tires that fit my wheels) or do I do a suspension upgrade (thought that was part of the $2700 M Sport Pacakge) like BMW Performance or someone else's? Or, do I do both, a $3000 extra bit of kit that turns my car into something that handles more like an M3 or Porsche. I do like the ride height, the wheels just line up with the fenders, so not inclined to get springs that are much shorter.

Any thoughts, suggestions are totally welcome, I am sure lot of folks are curious about tweaking the suspension on a 128. I was really hoping the M Sport package would not need this, though realistically, every BMW I have owned did, and greatly benefitted from a sportier suspension than stock.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 05:02 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Get the BMW Performance Suspension from Dan@United. It consists of new shocks, springs and front and rear sway bars for your 128i. That would be my advice.

Wait to replace the tires after they are worn/burnt thru.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 08:59 PM   #3
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M-Sport

I suggest you do some reading in the "Suspension/Brakes/Chassis" forum. Tons of info there. My 128 is on Eibach springs with Koni FSD shocks and I am very happy with the combo.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 09:49 PM   #4
roo97ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4, X6M, Tesla Plaid, MYP, Ram

sorry you spent the money on the m sport thinking the suspension was worth it...if you have a lotus on bilsteins....

the e46 m3 is pretty good out of the box, as well as the z4m, the rest to me need a little more tightening.

the seats are worth the money you spent. you will see a nice improvement from tires alone in ride and handling at the limit, the float and vague feeling however will be no different...for that you need at least dampeners, and better yet springs as well.
      10-12-2010, 10:43 PM   #5
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Actually, Mike, I thought my 128i did rather well on it's NCT5s - considering that the 'vert weighs just shy of 3,500 lbs. (Your Lotus is 2,000, perhaps?)

Maybe they are paving the roads better in NoVa than suburban MD, but I like the '08 SP 128i compromise between handling & comfort. And while the car may seem to float a bit (certainly more than the Lotus!), I found mine cruises all day at 80 mph in all sorts of conditions (including 30~40 mph crosswinds) very nicely. And a recent brisk trip on the BRP from the Smokies to Charlottesville was quite enjoyable - also at 30 mpg.

It's not as planted in the corners as was my '03 Z4 - but it's still no slouch. And my fillings aren't being jarred loose either.

Hope you get yours sorted out the way you want it.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 11:09 PM   #6
MikeinAlexandria
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M Sport Convertible

Thanks.
Yeah, the Lotus definitely senses spider legs on the roads, which are actually pretty bad.

The tricky part with the BMW, is that I don't want to give up the warranty. So I may have to choose BMW parts. I am wondering if euro M shocks are stiff than US versions with the trouble of all the other stuff on the Performance suspension. Lots to think about!
Appreciate 0