BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-04-2013, 06:12 AM   #1
timbo_3101
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slow

Brakes: recommendations?

My stock brakes lasted the entire 2012 season (around eight track days), without any performance issues.

Since replacing with OEM rotors and pads, my front rotors are again failing (warped) after a single event (low speed circuit). This is both disappointing and frustrating to say the least

What upgraded equipment is recommended to prolong longevity or enhance braking performance? (This vehicle is predominantly used for club and track event.)

Thank in advance
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 08:05 AM   #2
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Do a little research.

Extremely unlikely that you warped your rotors. Much more likely that you simply have deposits from your brake pads.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #3
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Getting the brakes really hot should not warp them. Most likely uneven pad transfer onto the rotor. Although, overtightening/uneven tightening of the wheel bolts will warp the rotor.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 08:38 AM   #4
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo_3101 View Post
My stock brakes lasted the entire 2012 season (around eight track days), without any performance issues.

Since replacing with OEM rotors and pads, my front rotors are again failing (warped) after a single event (low speed circuit). This is both disappointing and frustrating to say the least

What upgraded equipment is recommended to prolong longevity or enhance braking performance? (This vehicle is predominantly used for club and track event.)

Thank in advance
Ceramics - did 68 laps (including a 28 laps run) without any problem. The Mov'it about half the price of the brembos .
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 08:42 AM   #5
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

I now have 60+ track days on my 1M. With proper fluids, pads and cooling, the stock calipers and rotors are more than up to the job!

Neil
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #6
timbo_3101
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Much more likely that you simply have deposits from your brake pads.
Thanks for suggestion - actually my (new) front brake pad crumbled after one track day. If there are deposits, would this improve with further heat further racing?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 06:43 PM   #7
timbo_3101
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Most likely uneven pad transfer onto the rotor. Although, overtightening/uneven tightening of the wheel bolts will warp the rotor.
Interesting, thanks for the insight.
(This year have been using race tyres, which might explain uneven tightening of wheel bolts.)
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 08:04 PM   #8
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for suggestion - actually my (new) front brake pad crumbled after one track day. If there are deposits, would this improve with further heat further racing?
Yes, you can generally remove deposits by using proper track pads, but it will likely take a couple of laps once the pads and rotors are up to temp.

What type of pads were you using?

Also, I can't say I understand how using race tires would lead to uneven tightening of the lug bolts...

Neil
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #9
timbo_3101
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Yes, you can generally remove deposits by using proper track pads, but it will likely take a couple of laps once the pads and rotors are up to temp.

What type of pads were you using?
All OEM consumables.
(Only upgrades including performance brake fluid and braided lines.)
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 09:01 PM   #10
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
All OEM consumables.
(Only upgrades including performance brake fluid and braided lines.)
Oem brake pads and race rubber do not mix on the track!

Neil
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 09:23 PM   #11
timbo_3101
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Oem brake pads and race rubber do not mix on the track!
Really?! My lap times (competition rubber) are similar or marginally improved compared to previous events (street tyres). Why then should my brakes begin to fail now?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 09:23 PM   #12
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Putting in race pads and using them cold should clean the rotors and fix the issue.

Have a look here
http://www.essexparts.com/learning-c.../swapping_pads
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #13
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Really?! My lap times (competition rubber) are similar or marginally improved compared to previous events (street tyres). Why then should my brakes begin to fail now?
The limiting factor in braking is your tires -- they determine how much traction you have.

You are therefore able to brake harder (and stop/slow down in shorter distance) with race tires, and are generating that much more kinetic energy into heat.

The additional heat from the greater braking is simply too much for the stock pads to handle.

Neil

Last edited by MDORPHN; 04-04-2013 at 09:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 11:10 PM   #14
timbo_3101
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
Putting in race pads and using them cold should clean the rotors and fix the issue.

Have a look here
http://www.essexparts.com/learning-c.../swapping_pads
Thanks, quite informative
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 07:56 AM   #15
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
The limiting factor in braking is your tires -- they determine how much traction you have.
You are therefore able to brake harder (and stop/slow down in shorter distance) with race tires, and are generating that much more kinetic energy into heat.
Neil
Yes, the limiting factor for braking is the tires.

But your statement is not quite correct. The amount of heat going into the brakes is purely determined by the mass and the velocity. So, if you are slowing down from 100 to 50 and the mass is the same, you are creating the same amount of heat for the brakes to dissipate. The tires don't make a difference. Although, with good tires, you will not be slowing down as much for a corner, so there should actually be a little less heat going into the brakes.

Best way to make your brakes last longer at the track is to slow down less. The faster you are in the corners, the longer your brakes will last.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 08:10 AM   #16
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

But your statement is not quite correct. The amount of heat going into the brakes is purely determined by the mass and the velocity. So, if you are slowing down from 100 to 50 and the mass is the same, you are creating the same amount of heat for the brakes to dissipate. The tires don't make a difference. Although, with good tires, you will not be slowing down as much for a corner, so there should actually be a little less heat going into the brakes.

Best way to make your brakes last longer at the track is to slow down less. The faster you are in the corners, the longer your brakes will last.
Fair enough, and I certainly agree with your last point.

Nonetheless, assuming the op is an intermediate or advanced driver, I don't know why he would have imagined that the stock pads would be sufficient -- especially if he was running race tires.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 11:22 PM   #17
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

If your rotors continue to have accelerated wear or warping with street or race pads, have a look at the PFC Direct Drive rotors, they will run much cooler and last longer. They are also about 4.2 lighter per rotor!

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=818534
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 07:51 AM   #18
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
If your rotors continue to have accelerated wear or warping with street or race pads, have a look at the PFC Direct Drive rotors, they will run much cooler and last longer. They are also about 4.2 lighter per rotor!

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=818534
+1.

I've only heard good things about them and will be moving to them once I'm no longer able to find lightly used take-off rotors (generally from E92 M3 owners moving to big brake kits).

Neil
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 03:16 PM   #19
Em/1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Garage List
2019 VW GTI SE  [0.00]
2020 Tesla M3P  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:

The situation re heat build up is, I believe, a little more complicated than either of you are giving it credit for. Not to belabor, but heat dissipated by brake in a given corner will be determined by kinetic energy delta for the car. This would not necessarily be less with higher corner speed as will have higher entry speed as well and as far as fade is concerned, the shorter lap times will lead to less time to dissipate the heat (ie, you will be quicker on the straights too.) But certainly if higher corner speed allows no or less braking you will be better off!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 05:03 PM   #20
timbo_3101
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

I have finally fitted Pagid Yellow RS19 pads and driven perhaps 100km since, trying to brake hard from speeds of up to 120km/h. Unfortunately my vehicle (front) still vibrates and shudders. Furthermore, there appears to be much squeal when the brakes are applied gently at low speeds eg 10-20km/h.

How long does it take to remove the deposits and re-establish smooth braking? Or is this now likely to be a rotor issue?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 06:01 PM   #21
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

I really don't think you can warp these rotors. I would recommend cleaning the rotors with a scotch brite pad with some brake cleaner then rubbing them with some really fine sand paper in an effort to rid the rotors of the deposits. That's what I did and it improved, but the issue wasn't completely eradicated until some aggressive driving with more aggressive pads (high speed bed in process and a 2 day track day have done the trick).

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 09:32 PM   #22
TXmtrhed
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrain View Post
I really don't think you can warp these rotors. I would recommend cleaning the rotors with a scotch brite pad with some brake cleaner then rubbing them with some really fine sand paper in an effort to rid the rotors of the deposits. That's what I did and it improved, but the issue wasn't completely eradicated until some aggressive driving with more aggressive pads (high speed bed in process and a 2 day track day have done the trick).

Hope this helps.
Don't waste your time with sand paper or scotch brite. Since you've already have the Pagid pads on the car use the technique given in StopTech's Technical White Paper site. Their method works much better and faster.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...l-white-papers

Lot's of other good info concerning brakes here too.
Appreciate 0