06-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #23
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldBMWguy View Post
Any chance of PMing me that route also? I am hoping to visit Wales this fall or next spring, and, while we will not be driving the 1M, we would love to drive some of the back roads to really "see" the Country-- I hate the Interstates here and the M roads in your area!
Sure. Pm'ed
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 12:08 PM   #24
Jaw_F430
Private
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

I'd like to join in this trip depending on dates
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 12:17 PM   #25
will-w
'Captain Slow'
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 118d M Sport

Garage List
2012 F20 M Sport  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaw_F430 View Post
Add your name & dates to the poll

http://doodle.com/9w4zyvuza559pf6i

So far the 15th/16th and 22nd/23rd are leading followed closely by 1st/2nd
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #26
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaw_F430 View Post
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 12:33 PM   #27
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by will-w View Post
Thanks!

Those of us without Nav but have Android mobile phones can bookmark the Google map in your Google account and follow it directly on your phone's sat nav
Just out of interest, I don't use Android so I would like to know how saved google maps are used on the Android.

I understand you can go to "my places" and then "maps" via the google map app on the iPhone and view the saved map, which also shows your current location. But the downside is, you would have to periodically look at the screen to make sure you are following the designated route, and also it relies on a reliable data connection to download google's maps, which we will not have in Wales.

With the above in mind, my questions are:
1. Does Android allow you to import the saved google map into your nav app?
2. Does your nav app have all mapping data stored onboard the phone?
3. How do you tell your nav app to follow the designated route and treat the waypoints as destinations?

Cheers

Just a reminder to others who are new to this thread. If you have combox iDrive, you needn't worry about manually inputing routing data into iDrive nav. What I'll do is map out the route and waypoints using the BMW Routes website, like I did with Google maps. After which, I'll download the bmwnav file and send it you, which you can then upload to your iDrive nav via USB. iDrive nav will then treat the waypoints as destinations in the correct sequence and the route between each waypoint is preset by me and not created by the nav system.

Last edited by mlhj83; 06-27-2012 at 12:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #28
will-w
'Captain Slow'
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
1. Does Android allow you to import the saved google map into your nav app?
Certainly does. If you go to the map on your PC and hit the "Save to My Places" link it'll save it to your Google account.

To access them on your mobile, Open Google Maps, Click "Layers" > "My Maps" > "Road Trip Around Wales Day 1"

Quote:
2. Does your nav app have all mapping data stored onboard the phone?
With the latest Android version of Google Maps you have the ability to pre-cache a selected area so you don't need a data connection

Quote:
3. How do you tell your nav app to follow the designated route and treat the waypoints as destinations?
Just hit Navigate on the next waypoint that you want to go to and it'll plan your route following the route with voice prompted directions and a decent on-screen navigation display.

I'm not an anti-Apple guy by any means but I really do think Android & all of the supporting tech rocks
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #29
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Just hit Navigate on the next waypoint that you want to go to and it'll plan your route following the route with voice prompted directions and a decent on-screen navigation display.

I'm not an anti-Apple guy by any means but I really do think Android & all of the supporting tech rocks
Cheers, don't mean to be obtuse, but just to clarify, when you select a waypoint to navigate to, does the nav app take the predesignated route or calculate its own route? Obviously, the whole trip is based on a predesignated route.

Also, some of the waypoints are just slightly off the route I have drawn, a human being can obviously tell that that is a waypoint and come off the predesignated route. How does the nav app on Andriod deal with this? Thanks.

Apple's new 3D maps for iOS6 is meant to be a worthy competitor to Androids if not slightly better executed in terms of visuals and user interface, however, google's ability to import saved maps onto the android nav app is certainly something Apple has to work on. It's such an important tool for holiday makers on the road.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #30
will-w
'Captain Slow'
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
The times that I have used it, it has always routed me along the pre-defined route. Now this could have been by fluke, sheer luck, or some smart programming on Google's part - I cannot confirm either way.

It looks smart, is incredibly easy to use and the tie-in with Google for searching destinations is extremely handy.

If you chose a location off-road then it'll guide you down roads as far as you can go and then suggest which direction you should go. You also get a Google Street View image at the end of the navigation so you can see exactly what you should be looking for.

"Betty" (we've named the female voice) took us on a 1100 mile trip to Devon, around for a week and back without a single hitch. It's really handy to be able to just say "pub", or "pub near Avonwick" and to watch it work out which are the nearest pubs and how long it'll take.

It also has live traffic information for your route, if you decide that you want to take a different route or bypass traffic you can at a single click of a button.

It has far more functionality than the household TomTom (which hasn't left the desk for 6 months).

Apple really have their hands full to produce a navigation system that beats it, in my opinion. Especially considering Google Maps and Google Navigation are free!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 01:36 PM   #31
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The times that I have used it, it has always routed me along the pre-defined route. Now this could have been by fluke, sheer luck, or some smart programming on Google's part - I cannot confirm either way.

It looks smart, is incredibly easy to use and the tie-in with Google for searching destinations is extremely handy.

If you chose a location off-road then it'll guide you down roads as far as you can go and then suggest which direction you should go. You also get a Google Street View image at the end of the navigation so you can see exactly what you should be looking for.

"Betty" (we've named the female voice) took us on a 1100 mile trip to Devon, around for a week and back without a single hitch. It's really handy to be able to just say "pub", or "pub near Avonwick" and to watch it work out which are the nearest pubs and how long it'll take.

It also has live traffic information for your route, if you decide that you want to take a different route or bypass traffic you can at a single click of a button.

It has far more functionality than the household TomTom (which hasn't left the desk for 6 months).

Apple really have their hands full to produce a navigation system that beats it, in my opinion. Especially considering Google Maps and Google Navigation are free!
Cool, guess we'll find out when we start our journey and hopefully the nav app on Android can follow a predesignated route. If you are interested, have a look at Apple's new 3D maps on iOS6, which has SIRI integration as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfmlSgCOxAg

Hopefully we can come up with various ways for non combox iDrive users to follow the route without needing to rely on manual map reading, as the routes that we are taking are complicated if one is to follow them accurately.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 04:10 PM   #32
Tamara
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M VO

Quote:
Originally Posted by h-manuk View Post
Cheers Marcus for your suggestions.

I have created a poll to see which weekend suits everybody: http://doodle.com/9w4zyvuza559pf6i

I will be closing the poll by Friday 20th July so to give us time to organise the weekend.

Marcus, can you pm your email address please. Also can we avoid the dirty roads please lol!
Hello
Thanks to you and to Marcus.
Have Doodled our dates. Let me know if you want any help with admin etc!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 04:42 PM   #33
Rsmatt
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 1m v/a

Im up for this don't care wot date I'm there!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 04:55 PM   #34
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsmatt View Post
Im up for this don't care wot date I'm there!
Haha, that's the spirit!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 06:06 PM   #35
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Could you possibly do a test by drawing a route using "place mark" and "draw a line along roads" somewhere close to you? Make sure to draw a route that the nav will not pick i.e. something convoluted. Also, place the "place mark" just off the drawn route. See whether your nav app navigates to that "place mark" using the pre designated route.

This is important as I need to find out whether to leave the route I have done the way it is, or redo one using multiple destinations method and then manually adjusting the route in-between destinations, and then retesting this via your phone.

I just want to help those without iDrive but with an Android phone to be able to follow the exact route I have mapped out, as I obviously don't want anyone to miss out on a great road, but more importantly, a wrong turn could be real headache on some roads as there is literally no space to turn around, and may get stuck on an unpaved single track road if one were to continue onwards. This has happened to me before many years ago when I was exploring roads around the country, where after travelling a good 1.5miles, the road became unpaved. Reversing on a single track road for that distance was not fun. And no, there weren't any signs to say unpaved road, and at that time, both google maps and my sat nav selected it as part of the route. Even H-manuk's (sorry) well-meaning help in creating a route using google maps, also invariably included one of those types roads.

Also, those with TomTom or Garmin, try this website http://www.tyretotravel.com/. Apparently you can design a custom route and then upload it to your TomTom or Garmin.

Last edited by mlhj83; 06-27-2012 at 06:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 02:14 PM   #36
h-manuk
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M Coupe

This topgear episode provides a taste of what to expect....

Current mods: Forge FMIC, N55 Midpipe, Alcantara Steering Wheel, OEM 2012 LCI Black lines, BMW Performance grilles and pedals, Ohlins R&T suspension, Supersprint Exhaust, BMS Charge Pipe, Forge Diverter Valves
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 02:22 PM   #37
jan9
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: NA

Nice video, hopefully a bit warmer/dryer when we go! Really like the AMG black series, especially the new c63!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 02:47 PM   #38
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan9 View Post
Nice video, hopefully a bit warmer/dryer when we go! Really like the AMG black series, especially the new c63!
Haha, it is never dry or warm in Wales.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 01:58 AM   #39
will-w
'Captain Slow'
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Ok, I checked a test route and it appears to be a bit hit and miss. I think I must have been lucky the previous times I used it!

it will follow a route to a level but obviously way out routes it will struggle.

I don't think we're going to have too much of a problem though as if we have regular photo stops you can easily set smaller routes and avoid going off route.

Of course you can always avoid using the Navigation and just have the route showing in map view and follow it that way? Easily done with my 4.7 inch screen though

Edit: As for dates it looks like the 1st, 15th and 22nd are still most popular. Might be worth avoiding the 1st as you'll still have last minute summer holiday makers out and about?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 06:38 AM   #40
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Ok, I checked a test route and it appears to be a bit hit and miss. I think I must have been lucky the previous times I used it!

it will follow a route to a level but obviously way out routes it will struggle.

I don't think we're going to have too much of a problem though as if we have regular photo stops you can easily set smaller routes and avoid going off route.

Of course you can always avoid using the Navigation and just have the route showing in map view and follow it that way? Easily done with my 4.7 inch screen though

Edit: As for dates it looks like the 1st, 15th and 22nd are still most popular. Might be worth avoiding the 1st as you'll still have last minute summer holiday makers out and about?
Thanks for the effort and clarification. Following the route displayed on the map I've made would be the best option.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 03:57 PM   #41
h-manuk
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M Coupe

Right guys and girls, I have looked at potential stop over places and next week I would like to start firming up plans and need to get an idea of numbers.

So anyone that has not put their name down and interested please do so here http://doodle.com/9w4zyvuza559pf6i

At the moment the weekend of September 22/23 looks the most favourable.

We will be starting just below the Brecon Beacons and heading up towards and through Snowdonia on the first day. Then heading back down incorporating the evo triangle. Marcus has plotted some fantastic routes with 2 options for the journey home bound.

The finer details will be pm'd once we have final numbers!
Current mods: Forge FMIC, N55 Midpipe, Alcantara Steering Wheel, OEM 2012 LCI Black lines, BMW Performance grilles and pedals, Ohlins R&T suspension, Supersprint Exhaust, BMS Charge Pipe, Forge Diverter Valves

Last edited by h-manuk; 07-05-2012 at 02:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 02:07 AM   #42
Jezzer
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Series 1 m coupe

Count me and Jill in, I'm bringing a detailing team with me though that will follow me on route. Can only do 22/23 or 29/30 September, I've put details up on poll list.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 03:17 AM   #43
Tamara
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M VO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzer View Post
Count me and Jill in, I'm bringing a detailing team with me though that will follow me on route. Can only do 22/23 or 29/30 September, I've put details up on poll list.
Well done Jezzer! perhaps your team can keep the whole fleet tidy while they're at it.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 09:10 AM   #44
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Nice one Jez!
Appreciate 0