BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-23-2008, 01:15 PM   #155
SA135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

It happens to the best of us. Even your beloved suby is all grown up now. :wink:
"But don't be surprised if you completely forget about your passengers when driving this car. You will be mesmerised by the feel of the fat, well-weighted steering wheel in your hands, the sound from the specially tuned exhaust, and the in-gear acceleration that will have you grinning like a loon...." TopCar magazine (SA)
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 01:30 PM   #156
damian
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA135i View Post
You will not be disappointed...... I went for a test drive in a 335i this afternoon, OMF I have not stopped :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: since I got home.

What specs did you take and when do you expect to take delivery?
Sparkling graphite
Taupe Leatherette (black looks better but I hate lighting my ass on fire in the summer)
Gray poplar trim
Sport Package
Heated front seats (i'm in Michigan)
18" radial spoke rims

Let me know if you think I'm missing anything crucial or if it'll be ugly.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 01:39 PM   #157
damian
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
Sparkling graphite
Taupe Leatherette (black looks better but I hate lighting my ass on fire in the summer)
Gray poplar trim
Sport Package
18" radial spoke rims

btw, I noticed a lot of people aren't getting the upgraded wheels...is this just so you can do it yourself afterward and not get mugged by the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 01:46 PM   #158
SA135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Looks good to me, but hey what do I know. Most members here would say I must be colour blind as I have ordered mine in Sedona :wink:

The only other option I would consider is the Ipod USB adaptor. For some ridiculous reason I could not order it here in SA as it is only "available" in Q3 2008. Strange that, when others are getting it fitted at the exact same plant where mine will be built, but I digress.
"But don't be surprised if you completely forget about your passengers when driving this car. You will be mesmerised by the feel of the fat, well-weighted steering wheel in your hands, the sound from the specially tuned exhaust, and the in-gear acceleration that will have you grinning like a loon...." TopCar magazine (SA)
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 01:58 PM   #159
damian
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA135i View Post
Looks good to me, but hey what do I know. Most members here would say I must be colour blind as I have ordered mine in Sedona :wink:

The only other option I would consider is the Ipod USB adaptor. For some ridiculous reason I could not order it here in SA as it is only "available" in Q3 2008. Strange that, when others are getting it fitted at the exact same plant where mine will be built, but I digress.
I would really, really like the Ipod USB adaptor, but I don't like getting boned in the ass for the amount they are asking. A lot of the options interest me (like the comfort package), but not for the cost. I'm already having to hold my nose for the sports package just for the seats, because the rest of that package is meaningless to me.

Maybe I can get the dealer to throw in the Ipod adapter.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 02:06 PM   #160
SA135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I would really, really like the Ipod USB adaptor, but I don't like getting boned in the ass for the amount they are asking. A lot of the options interest me (like the comfort package), but not for the cost. I'm already having to hold my nose for the sports package just for the seats, because the rest of that package is meaningless to me.

Maybe I can get the dealer to throw in the Ipod adapter.
Yeah, welcome to the world of :roundel:. You can have anything you like for a fee.

I hear you about the price of the ipod adaptor, one would think it came with an ipod at that price.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 02:09 PM   #161
sc135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 sgm/taupe 135i

Quote:
Sparkling graphite
Gray poplar trim
Sport Package
18" radial spoke rims

Damian:

Did you consider the burl walnut trim with the taupe interior? It better look good, that's what I have on order . . .:roundel:
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 02:28 PM   #162
damian
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc135i View Post
Damian:

Did you consider the burl walnut trim with the taupe interior? It better look good, that's what I have on order . . .:roundel:
I liked the burl walnut as well, but I hypothesized that the gray poplar would look better with the grayish exterior (sparkling gray metallic). Maybe I'm just thinking too hard.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 02:34 PM   #163
SA135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I would also think gray poplar will look better than burl walnut, but hey :iono:.

I guess we have hijacked this thread good and proper. Okay, you can have your thread back now, it was just a momentary lapse as we are just so happy to have converted a suby fan.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 02:13 PM   #164
FleaDog
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
The STi has lost a step as well. Taller gearing. They have been trapping around 100 now, as opposed to the 103+ seen before.
Im not sure if that is accurate... the taller gearing should mean less shifting and better times; especially in the 1/4 mile.

I'll have my 06 sti paid off in another 1.5 yrs, so I think I am going to hold onto it and that'll be my 'toy'. Will eventually upgrade turbo, a few extras. If its just a weekend car, insurance aint that bad.

I am going to hold-off on the 1'er I'm figuring another 2 years so any 'kinks' get ironed-out, hopefully a LSD will be available, and I find a nice one used for a great price. The BMW pre-owned warranty looks fair... anyone else thinking this too?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 02:51 PM   #165
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleaDog View Post
Im not sure if that is accurate... the taller gearing should mean less shifting and better times; especially in the 1/4 mile.

I'll have my 06 sti paid off in another 1.5 yrs, so I think I am going to hold onto it and that'll be my 'toy'. Will eventually upgrade turbo, a few extras. If its just a weekend car, insurance aint that bad.

I am going to hold-off on the 1'er I'm figuring another 2 years so any 'kinks' get ironed-out, hopefully a LSD will be available, and I find a nice one used for a great price. The BMW pre-owned warranty looks fair... anyone else thinking this too?
For the gearing .. that isn't totally accurate .. I would say depends on how the car is set up.. my 98 cobra came stock with 3.27 gears .. I put 4.10 gears in it (shifting more during the 1/4 (probably 1 additional shif)) .. but ran the 1/4 faster. The engine liked the high RPM range ...

Crowley

The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: “There is something simply magical about BMW’s in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.”
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 02:56 PM   #166
john970
1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
For the gearing .. that isn't totally accurate .. I would say depends on how the car is set up.. my 98 cobra came stock with 3.27 gears .. I put 4.10 gears in it (shifting more during the 1/4 (probably 1 additional shif)) .. but ran the 1/4 faster. The engine liked the high RPM range ...

Crowley
Depends on the torque curve. Engines with flat torque curves do better with taller gearing than peaky curves as the loss due to shifting outweighs the loss due to increased time at sub optimal engine rpm. That sounded fancy.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 03:17 PM   #167
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
The previous STI did 103 mph, probably well into 4th gear. The new one gets to 100, probably right after shifting into 4th.

That means the previous shorter gearing worked better because it allowed a shift in the mid-90 mph, dropped the car in the fat portion of the torque curve and allowed it to accelerate well past 100.

With the longer gearing, it still needs a shift but won't accelerate as fast after the shift. No gains in the 1/4 mile, unless perhaps it makes 500HP.

With the N54 engine I don't think a very short gearing makes any sense, you'll be fighting for traction in the first 2 gears. Based on my experience with the 335, the 3.08 rear is perfect for this engine, up to around 380WHP. After that, you'll definitely need longer gearing if you don't want fried tires at each start.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 03:25 PM   #168
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
The previous STI did 103 mph, probably well into 4th gear. The new one gets to 100, probably right after shifting into 4th.

That means the previous shorter gearing worked better because it allowed a shift in the mid-90 mph, dropped the car in the fat portion of the torque curve and allowed it to accelerate well past 100.

With the longer gearing, it still needs a shift but won't accelerate as fast after the shift. No gains in the 1/4 mile, unless perhaps it makes 500HP.

With the N54 engine I don't think a very short gearing makes any sense, you'll be fighting for traction in the first 2 gears. Based on my experience with the 335, the 3.08 rear is perfect for this engine, up to around 380WHP. After that, you'll definitely need longer gearing if you don't want fried tires at each start.

I wish that wasn't true ... on my 04 cobra .. I had gobs of low end tq ... they came with 3.55's ... even when I had 520rwtq, it would hook up pretty well with the stock IRS in the car (ofcoarse that is with 295s out back on 18x10 inch rims too) ..

Crowley

The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: “There is something simply magical about BMW’s in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.”
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 03:46 PM   #169
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

In some recent publications it appears that the new STI is a hair slower then the old one. 0-60 and 400m.

It is a shame the new one is so damn ugly. Have to wait to see it in person. the thing I find interesting is why is it so damn heavy. They must have beefed up the features.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 05:31 PM   #170
Scuderia
Rep
Drives:

I can think of one advantage the 135i has. The 135i is built by a company who is 2nd in the 2007 Formula 1 World Constructors Championship (only losing to Ferrari). The STI is built by a company who's competition STI constantly broke down in the WRC, and who constantly lost to Ford and Citroen.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 05:44 PM   #171
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

it's shorter and heavier. Not sure where the weight went, maybe it's got better crash test ratings?

And to the above post, hence why the production of hatch backs. They hope this will help them in WRC.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 06:54 PM   #172
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:

Oh, its certainly accurate, the gearing is 20% taller. The power/weight is nearly the same. The car has been testing a lot slower.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with STi's, but the 07 which also got taller gear was slower stock in the 1/4 as well.

You don't have to trust me, the numbers are there.

Pretty damn broad assertion you're making saying less shifting = better times. Totally ignoring the slower acceleration through the taller gears. That statement is way too dependent on a lot of variables.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 07:23 PM   #173
Stay a while and listen...
Rep
Drives: vr4

example:
3000gt vr4 -> 13.4 sec 1/4
3000gt vr4 MR-> 12.8 sec 1/4

The only mechanical difference? The MR had shorter gearing.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2008, 07:23 AM   #174
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

There are some good camparisons on Best Motoring matching the old EVO and STI against the new EVO and STI. I realize it is a different powerplant in Japan but the new STI came out on top in all tests.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2008, 07:54 AM   #175
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
There are some good camparisons on Best Motoring matching the old EVO and STI against the new EVO and STI. I realize it is a different powerplant in Japan but the new STI came out on top in all tests.
And all the U.S. comparo's have the EVO Xwinning. Its like 2004 all over again. The STi is the victor in the straight line, the EVO gains it all back and more on the track. More htan one has also included an EVo IX MR, which dusted them both on the track (to be expected)
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2008, 10:09 AM   #176
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuderia View Post
I can think of one advantage the 135i has. The 135i is built by a company who is 2nd in the 2007 Formula 1 World Constructors Championship (only losing to Ferrari).
Keeping things in perspective, BMW came in 2nd only because McLaren was disqualified (all their points were removed) - not because of any technical brilliance, speed, or wins on track. :iono:

Not to take everything away from BMW F1, but I think all those untold tens of millions of dollars they spend each year only to be average could be better spend encouraging other racing formats, with cars that actually resemble production models.

Who cares that the M5/M6 V10 was inspired by the F1 V10 - that thechnology is out the window now, and the link to racing completely irrelevant.

Edit: Like Porsche does - and you can tell it genuinely improves their street cars, with each generation.

I'm pretty sure nothing in the N54 engine was inspired by the BMW Sauber F1 car...

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0