BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-15-2008, 06:11 PM   #1
RXC135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 Blue Water 135i Coupe

Temp Bra for roadtrip

I have heard of tape but sounds "tacky." What do people recommend for long trips to add protections from chips and bugs short of buying a vinyl bra or having an invisible bra installed?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 09:39 PM   #2
bman6074
Major
Rep
Drives: 14 M235i and 07 Lotus Exige S

You could try carpet film. http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...1-1671-CS2450L
I used it when I drove the car from SC BMW performance Center.
Didn't looke smooth as clear bra but you could only notice it when I was parked and you were looking. Otherwise it def helped block the bugs and rocks. Just be sure to cut out all air inlet holes.
      11-15-2008, 09:54 PM   #3
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
At the very lease put a couple of coats of wax/paint sealent on the front (I use Rejex). This wont keep rocks from chipping but it will make the bugs and guts wash off effortlessly.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 01:53 AM   #4
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep
Drives: Jet Black '08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phiberglass View Post
Painters tape all day long.
That is exactly what I was thinking. It may look tacky but it sure will save your paint for ~$20 in tape.
      11-16-2008, 04:18 AM   #5
RXC135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 Blue Water 135i Coupe

Has anyone tried or heard about Duplicolor's Spray on stuff? http://www.autobarn.net/duplicolor-spray-on-bra.html I don't know if it would provide the protection from rocks like the tape or carpet protector would. Thoughts?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 07:42 AM   #6
crzy4135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman6074 View Post
You could try carpet film. http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...1-1671-CS2450L
I used it when I drove the car from SC BMW performance Center.
Didn't looke smooth as clear bra but you could only notice it when I was parked and you were looking. Otherwise it def helped block the bugs and rocks. Just be sure to cut out all air inlet holes.
How thick is it? Does it stick to the car well enough to not flap around? thanks
      11-16-2008, 07:49 AM   #7
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RXC135i View Post
Has anyone tried or heard about Duplicolor's Spray on stuff? http://www.autobarn.net/duplicolor-spray-on-bra.html I don't know if it would provide the protection from rocks like the tape or carpet protector would. Thoughts?

Thanks
I don't have any experience with this product, but: that stuff looks like trouble waiting to happen. You'd have to tape off the whole front end and would deal with overspray, etc. It says it washes off with soap and water, but I can just see it getting in crevices, etc and becoming a pain.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 07:02 AM   #8
bman6074
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzy4135i View Post
How thick is it? Does it stick to the car well enough to not flap around? thanks
Its not as thick as clear bra but from what I found online it apears to be at least 2 - 3 mil thick. It def helped protect the front end on my 900 mile drive.
As long as the surface of the car is clean when you apply it. It will stay put. I waxed the front of the car before putting it on just for an added protection. I did have it flap on one side as I missed a spot when cleaning. It left some glue residue that came off with wax cleaner. No damage at all. I did get a clear bra put on once I got home.
      11-18-2008, 07:09 AM   #9
bman6074
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXC135i View Post

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackjackMulligan View Post
I don't have any experience with this product, but: that stuff looks like trouble waiting to happen. You'd have to tape off the whole front end and would deal with overspray, etc. It says it washes off with soap and water, but I can just see it getting in crevices, etc and becoming a pain.

Yea it appears that stuff doesn't work from customer reviews found here http://www.amazon.com/Duplicolor-Shi.../dp/B000FNAENK

1 of 1 people found the following review helpful:
Washes off in the rain, July 16, 2007
By Raymond W. Johnson "anointedrj" (Va) - See all my reviews

Shield washs off in rain. I used it for a trip to GA from VA. Held up okay till I arrived in GA. Drove through a 2 min rain and it washed off and looked like crap as it spread across my entire truck. Honestly, it's not worth the trouble of masking off the hood, lights, and emblems if its going to come off that easily. Plus it does not protect you from dings by rocks.

Too 'fragile', May 5, 2008
By Michael Price (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews

This is not paint, although you apply it like spray paint.
It's more like the coating on scratch and win lottery cards, only not as durable.

I applied 4-5 thin coats to my car's rocker panels to help protect against tar build up. I believe that this product would be sufficient for this purpose except that it is not durable enough if you want to run that protection all the way back along the rocker panels. Getting in and out of my car, my pant legs sometimes brush the rocker panels, which is enough to remove the coating completely at the point of contact.
      11-18-2008, 11:32 AM   #10
Coach
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I just put 1,000 miles on my 1 last weekend on a Key West trip. The front looked like it was through a war but not one chip or scratch after washing it off. I guess I was lucky.
Appreciate 0