BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-12-2011, 11:04 PM   #1
blunau
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 Sport Dinan Stage II

Tips from a DIY Dummy: Grill and Pedal mods

1. On replacing/installing a new grill: don't overthink this, the grab-and-yank method works great to remove the stock grill.

2. I have very little mechanical skills (first time that I'd ever drilled through metal), but was able to do it relatively easy (1-1.5 hrs, almost half while sitting on the couch). The key is to remove the accelerator pedal completely to add the performance pedal to it. Those nuts are tiny; trying to do it upside-down in the car is insane. Take it out (using these instructions: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209687) put on the performance pedal, then replace it (I added the performance pedal while sitting on the couch and watching football). Again, I'm a dummy, if I can remove it, modify it and then replace it, then anyone can. Brake pedal (I have AT) was much harder, because I had to use those tiny nuts down inside the car and drill through metal (for the first time!).

By the way, love this site!
Thanks to all of the contributors.
I spent way more time doing research here than working with the tools, and it was time well invested.
      09-25-2011, 06:44 PM   #2
Easy Rider
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M

Quote:
Originally Posted by blunau View Post
1. On replacing/installing a new grill: don't overthink this, the grab-and-yank method works great to remove the stock grill.

2. I have very little mechanical skills (first time that I'd ever drilled through metal), but was able to do it relatively easy (1-1.5 hrs, almost half while sitting on the couch). The key is to remove the accelerator pedal completely to add the performance pedal to it. Those nuts are tiny; trying to do it upside-down in the car is insane. Take it out (using these instructions: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209687) put on the performance pedal, then replace it (I added the performance pedal while sitting on the couch and watching football). Again, I'm a dummy, if I can remove it, modify it and then replace it, then anyone can. Brake pedal (I have AT) was much harder, because I had to use those tiny nuts down inside the car and drill through metal (for the first time!).

By the way, love this site!
Thanks to all of the contributors.
I spent way more time doing research here than working with the tools, and it was time well invested.
Sounds difficult - why did you have to drill metal?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 07:19 PM   #3
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
The brake pedal is metal. It is not difficult. See http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208896 for more details and DIY tips.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 11:20 PM   #4
blunau
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 Sport Dinan Stage II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
Just one of the stock drill bits (7/64"?) that came with my 22V Craftsman tool set.

It's not difficult. Just put your weight/shoulder into it.