E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Car finally arrived but with wrong options, what to do?

06-13-2005, 10:14 PM   #23
KUweatherman
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Civic Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimo
Anyhow, the good news is they found another car with Alu trim and they are going to get it switch it out. He also offered to deliver the car at no cost, which I thought was nice of the dealership(since it is about 100miles from where I live). I asked him, are you delivering it on a flat bed or towing it? he said "No, I am driving it to your place"

WOW....I am not sure if I am over reacting, but who would want his new car drivin by a stranger for 100 miles?
Figured that's how they would switch trim since I've seen it done numerous times. The driving your car to you is normal too. Again, there were numerous deliveries I went on where we would drive a person's new (or car that was in for service) to them in Topeka from Kansas City (~60 miles). I also know of a salesmen that delivered a car all the way across the state of Kansas from here in KC. So this is normal.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2005, 10:19 PM   #24
roburado
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 Passat, '09 Cayman S

Garage List
1991 318is  [0.00]
Quote:
Saturday was a big day for me as I was about to pick up my first BMW. After 9 weeks of waiting and endless price battles with dealers accross the state, my SG 6 speed 325i finally arrives. I left home with friends and a huge smile.....

2 hours and 100 miles later, I finally see my car...everything was good till I looked through the windows....WRONG TRIM ?!?!?! :mad: :mad:

I was told it had Aluminum trim but received a dark wood trim (it has black leather interior). So this car was not a custom order. I was about to place a custom order but the dealer told me he has the EXACT car I wanted already coming in (in 3 - 8 weeks). So i decided to just get the one in transit (less wait, same car). We went over the options and he said it had aluminum trim. So i made up my mind and put a deposit on this car.

My question is, anyone know how much it will cost to replace the interior trim? Labour cost and parts cost? At the dealership it went from "the car only comes in wood trim" to " only the 330i has aluminum trim" to "last time I checked it was $1000 to replace the trim" ....

Luckily the manager came out, and told me that he might be able to replace the trim for me. But I will not get my deposit back regardless.

So honestly the people at the dealership were EXTREMELY friendly and helpful, ....everyone makes mistakes. - understandable.

Im am supposed to find out on Monday if he was able to replace the trim or not. Is this possible? Anyone know the cost if doing so? Does the original trim get damaged during the process?

Thank you very much guys, this forum has been a great resource really !
Skimo
Personally, I think they screwed you. It's a bait-and-switch.
:mad:

Family History: Two E21 320i, One E28 535is, One E34 535i, One E34 540i
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2005, 10:23 PM   #25
roburado
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1991 318is  [0.00]
Quote:
The reason I am not all in rage is because this is really the first time I ever come accoss a "good salesman". The guy is a really nice guy down to heart, and was very helpful through out the 3 month buying experience. And he even admitted his mistake. All this is making it more difficult for me.....moral values are starting to kick in (at the wrong time !). Any other dealer I would be

I am clueless has to how BMW dealerships work. Anyone know how much "negative impact" this will cause to the salesman with relation to his job/manager ? (assuming they carry the cost burden?) This is a point I would like to consider when making m decision.

Once again,
Thanks
Personally, I wouldn't care how this impacted his standing at the dealer, but it's your decision. Someone screwed up, and it shouldn't be up to you to live with his mistake.

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2005, 10:23 PM   #26
silverado
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
The thing is, he already gave me my deposit back once before (3 months earlier when I was getting an e46 and deicided to go to e90). And I did ask them if it were refundable or not. They said yes. All of a sudden, they decide to say no?

Anyhow, the good news is they found another car with Alu trim and they are going to get it switch it out. He also offered to deliver the car at no cost, which I thought was nice of the dealership(since it is about 100miles from where I live). I asked him, are you delivering it on a flat bed or towing it? he said "No, I am driving it to your place"

WOW....I am not sure if I am over reacting, but who would want his new car drivin by a stranger for 100 miles?
I wouldn't like him driving my car either. I'd drive it myself if at all possible! Since they're willing to make the trip, if you have a problem getting a ride to go get the car, have them come pick you up in another car
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2005, 10:27 PM   #27
roburado
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1991 318is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfstout
Skimo:

Make them order a new car for you. Your car, the way you want it. If they replace the trim who knows where the trim will come from. You'll probablykeep this thing for a while and you should love it. If you can wait a few weeks, have them put in a rush order, use their clout with BMW, do anything they can to get you your car asap.

Bummer, but good luck.

sparky
And...who knows how good a job the dealer will do with putting the trim in. Their work might suck, and the car might look less than what it should. I wouldn't trust them to do the swap. Hell no. They need to get you the car you want, built the way it should have been built.

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2005, 10:34 PM   #28
KUweatherman
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roburado
And...who knows how good a job the dealer will do with putting the trim in. Their work might suck, and the car might look less than what it should. I wouldn't trust them to do the swap. Hell no. They need to get you the car you want, built the way it should have been built.
Umm, the trim just pops in and out. A five year old could do it.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2005, 11:26 PM   #29
Heliskyr
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
My question is, anyone know how much it will cost to replace the interior trim? Labour cost and parts cost? At the dealership it went from "the car only comes in wood trim" to " only the 330i has aluminum trim" to "last time I checked it was $1000 to replace the trim" ....

Skimo
First, I totally feel for you, skimo. That dealership, either by intention or by negligence, screwed you IMO. As for the cost of the trim, I posted the following link in response to another inquiry about the aluminum trim.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1114

There's a link to a store on eBay that sells lots of BMW parts, inc. trim kits for the E90.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2005, 11:37 PM   #30
EVO_S4
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW  [8.24]
Quote:
Use their car to go get it yourself, I wouldnt trust somebody my car. that early
      06-14-2005, 12:04 AM   #31
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

well, shouldn't the deposit be refundable as they didn't comply with the terms of your car having ALUMINUM TRIM??????

you're not cancelling, they messed up
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2005, 01:04 PM   #32
booyah
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335XI

Glad you got it worked out! But tell then HELL no--Ill make the trip again and get it myself! Im sure you want to look it over very well when it gets there anyway.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2005, 03:52 AM   #33
skimo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 vert Dinan II

Just wanted to update you guys on what happened...

I just took delivery of the car last night. I drove the 100m to the dealer...very excited and crossing fingers....as soon as I arrived....there was the Alu Trim I wanted... I sat in the car... and there was a huge dent in the trim !!! :mad: :mad: :mad: and it was not a "snug fit" I could see a good 1/8 inch or so between the trim and the AC vents :mad: :mad: worst installation job ever !!! I boldly said "so have you placed an order for a new trim?" he said "yes sir, we have"

They added that they will take my car when the new trim arrives and give me a loaner while they fix it. I decided to take delivery once they put that in writing.

I am actually pretty pleased...I am now getting a brand new trim, they added free floor mats (carpet) and they gave me a $100 gift certificate for any BMW part/accessory. (other little stuff like BMW hat, key chains..) Also, the car has only 8 miles on it...

We drove all the way back to Austin, 3 cars...when we arrived all the cars had a ridiculous amount of bugs on the windshield/grill etc...except mine - it looked brand new. One girl commented "your car is just repelling those bugs?" I just had to reply, "Not really, I had to turn on the DTC function".....

Anyway, on the way back I only noticed 2 anomolies: the outside temperature looked wayyyy off (97f at 8 pm??) and when I hit the cruize button...the lcd would say 90m for example but the white marker on the speedometer would rest at 87 or so (not exatly on the 90 tick mark). The latter is not a biggy, but I need to see whats up with that temp reading...

So this was the last episode of my buying experience...have to add that its really a GREAT car....., 100 mile drive went by like a breeze...comfortable, fast, powerful and I never exceeded the 3500 rpm !

Thanks
Skimo
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2005, 06:15 AM   #34
roburado
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1991 318is  [0.00]
Wink

Quote:
sat in the car... and there was a huge dent in the trim !!! :mad: :mad: :mad: and it was not a "snug fit" I could see a good 1/8 inch or so between the trim and the AC vents :mad: :mad: worst installation job ever !!! I boldly said "so have you placed an order for a new trim?" he said "yes sir, we have"
Skimo
I told you so. Nobody beyond the factory cares about your car as much as you do. It's that simple. I had the windshield replaced on my car. The headliner was stained by the glass shop. I figured, "Hey...all they have to do is take off the old glass, put on some new glass on top of some adhesive, and we're good." Oops...wrong.

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2005, 09:37 AM   #35
skimo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 vert Dinan II

you were right roburado ... I actually told the salesman that i want to be there when they install the new trim. Then I corrected myself and told him that I want the tech to come to my place and install it in my garage.

skimo
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2005, 09:51 AM   #36
KUweatherman
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
you were right roburado ... I actually told the salesman that i want to be there when they install the new trim. Then I corrected myself and told him that I want the tech to come to my place and install it in my garage.

skimo
Haha, nice. Glad you're going to be getting new trim out of the deal. Sucks they couldnt do it right the first time. Guess they shoudve let that 5 yr old do it after all.
Appreciate 0