BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-26-2012, 04:18 PM   #23
dlong82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3CX

From a NASA (auto racing group) tech inspector
6. The shoulder harness shall be mounted behind the driver and above a line drawn
downward from the shoulder point at an angle of no more than twenty (20)
degrees with the horizontal.
DMORPHN is correct.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 04:49 PM   #24
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
I'm pretty sure that neither Neil nor Joe nor I said anything about NASA rules. PCA forbids it even with a harness bar. Still not relevant.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 05:50 PM   #25
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
On the question of club rules, I looked to see what some of my local DE clubs say about 4-point harnesses.

NJ BMWCCA: Student cars with 4-point harnesses & stock-type seats must retain oe 3-point harnesses.

NCC BMWCCA: If you don’t have a roll bar, we recommend that you use the stock seatbelts that came with the car.

DelVal BMWCCA: Anyone with racing harnesses needs to be sure that they are installed correctly—this should be performed by a professional!

SCCA: If a person chooses to put in a multi-point harness they must do so for both seats.

RTR PCA: 4 point harnesses may be used with approval of safety chair only.

NNJR PCA: 4-POINT HARNESSES ARE NOT PERMITTED

Potomoc PCA: In general 4 point harness must have been designed to work in a specific vehicle and that vehicle-tag must remain attached to the 4-point belt system.

NASA: the only four-point belt systems that are allowed for use in HPDE / TT are ... those that carry a label from the belt manufacturer stating that the belts ... were designated for the specific vehicle (e.g. “For use only in BMW E36 models”). Such label must be easily visible to the NASA inspector. Note- four-point belt sets that have a DOT certification alone are not allowed.

TrackDaze:

TT4C:

So NASA and PCA are out, NJ BMWCCA looks okay, and I'll have to ask the others because their rules don't really say.

...adding: I see over at another BMW forum that I think we're not supposed to mention here, there's a thread today quoting Joe on the "myth about race seats and harness being dangerous without a rollbar".

Last edited by GaryS; 04-26-2012 at 08:06 PM..
Appreciate 0