BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-04-2015, 08:38 PM   #1
lainmike0710
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '10 e82 128i

Tail Light Bulb Out

I have a question concerning the bulbs used for the tail lights on my 2010 128i with a 10/09 production date. The inner bulb on the left side is currently burnt out. Tischer's site only offers a yellow bulb and a silver bulb both are a number 4 if you have ever seen the diagram of the housing but the picture clearly shows another bulb on the inside looking to be the number 5 on the diagram but isn't actually available. Also, what is the deal with the LED's? Mine are currently fine but I read in a previous post that any tail lights produced before 12/2010 will have LED tubes that WILL fail. I bring this up because my car is now 5 years old and they are still fine and operating perfectly. Additionally, what is the difference between LCI and pre-LCI??? Any help would be AWESOME!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 09:35 PM   #2
MakeItRaine
Recovering 1addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Hi- the bulbs that only come in amber are the turn signal bulbs. By DOT regulations, they have to be that color and you won't find an actual turn signal bulb that is any other color. There are bulbs that will fit that which are not yellow, however they cannot be marketed officially as "turn signal bulbs". The ones, I may be wrong on this one, that light up the tails are white but a different pattern to seat them in the housing.

To answer your LCI question, the pre-LCI tails have LED stiles that run horizontally and are older model 135's. See first pic. The LCI tails were standard in newer years with two larger, swooping running lights in each. Much like the second picture. These are blacklines and are the same as LCI taillights but are darker on the inner housing and the reverse light bottom portion where it would be clear in regular LCIs.

Lastly, yes...the pre-LCIs will fail if you leave them in the rain enough and water will cause the circuit board to quit working. Had mine for 3 years before I parked it outside for a month and killed them.

Hope that helps.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0