BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-17-2011, 08:07 PM   #45
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD75 View Post
Hey mate,

I have spoken to Pete about what would be required to fabricate a workable solution for our excessive oil temps.

We are pretty much on the same page and as I suspected an oil cooler kit comprising quality components ain't gonna' be cheap.

Unfortunately a quality core, thermostat, oil lines and fittings etc. are worth a few bucks and them some.

Pete has already priced up the key components and to be honest the money charged for the quality kits currently on the market, is not that outrageous.

However with some engineering knowhow and a few contacts in the industry I suspect Pete can fab up a kit that is top shelf, whilst retailing it at a price that will keep the Ebenezer Scrooges happy.
Cool. Keen to hear more - though there may be no point in Peter going through the exercise if his kits end up being more expensive that quality units already available (that are proven to fit/work with the N54 135/335 chassis). I haven't researched such kits yet...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 04:27 AM   #46
JD75
JDTuning
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xDrive,G80 M3 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianf2002 View Post
120 is normal. I have done track in around ambient 32 degrees and oil temp same as on a cool winter track day
Rather consider the PPK aux radiator kit if cooling is a concern, as water cooling will also lower oil temps. HP Autowerks also sell larger radiators.
I suspect the OE oil cooler thermostat prevents a cooler oil temp, on a significantly colder day.

The oil temp is not only influenced by the efficiency of the oil cooler, but the temperature at which the thermostat allows the engine oil to circulate throughout the cooler.

I would imagine if you had a similar 82 degrees Celsius as the one I am running, you would see a cooler oil temps on a cold winter track day.

I would not spend the money on the PPK cooling upgrade, as you are still utilising the OE radiator that has end tanks made of plastic.

IIRC the HP Autowerks rad was removed from sale, as they had issues with leaking cores, that their supplier could not sort out.

Last edited by JD75; 11-23-2011 at 06:18 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 04:36 AM   #47
JD75
JDTuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB4135 View Post
I don't have experience with my N54 on the track but my oil temps range between 110-120 which is normal. Even if i drive it hard it doesn't go past 120.
I doubt even the most "spirited" driving on the street, would come close to approximating the heat load you will see on a track.

Last edited by JD75; 11-19-2011 at 04:37 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 04:40 AM   #48
JD75
JDTuning
Rep

Quote:
I think that turbos are cooled by engine oil/water cooling components, so if they are running hotter now due to DP's then this may increase temps?? I'd ask Peter at Advan for advise instead of speculating
I can confirm that the N54 turbos are both water and oil cooled, as I have had a good look at the OE snails since being removed from my car.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 04:48 AM   #49
JD75
JDTuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
I've seen 137 degrees on track at QR (read off my perf wheel), but I probably missed reading the peak temp. I want better cooling.

Gazz, you higher temps on road and lack of temp rise at the track is probably down to thermostat rating & extra cooling capacity respectively. How is your beast now?
Hey Tim,

stay tuned mate, as Pete is working on a complete 135i/335i cooling solution as we speak.

Your above explanation with regards 1M operating temps is spot on.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 05:37 AM   #50
xerox445
Damenslip-Tropfer
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Quote:
Hey Tim,

stay tuned mate, as Pete is working on a complete 135i/335i cooling solution as we speak.
Subscribed.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 05:52 AM   #51
JD75
JDTuning
Rep

Quote:
Found it in another doc, but here it is again as I have a few. See attached pg 49.

Is the 1M got a bigger oil cooler than the 135i? I know it has better water cooling.

Why the 125 degrees???

I have a bottle of Redline WW sitting in wait, but switching to 0W40 has dropped my temps by 7-10 deg and I rarely see 120 deg.

Better water cooling will lead to lower oil temps. I.e. the upgraded BMW PPK cooling kit
Hey Ian,

once again thanks for the engine cooling data.

I cannot comment on the cooling components of the 1M, perhaps Zuzu can chime in.

With respect to the 125 degrees Celsius maximum operating temperature, after speaking to Peter he suggests he would not want to see higher than 120 whilst tracking the car.

As I mentioned before, it is all well and good to hit 120 to 125 degrees Celsius, whilst sitting in heavy traffic on the commute to work.

But when you are putting huge loads on the internal components of the engine and spinning the motor to redline, you want both oil and water temps to be happy.

By that I mean they should be at a normal operating temperature and stable.

Changing your engine oil following a track day is certainly good practice, however it is of little use if excessive oil temps have lead to a spun bearing, as a result of improper lubrication.

Or you have cooked your engine due to radiator failure, following a blowout of a plastic end tank.

Last edited by JD75; 11-19-2011 at 05:59 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 08:56 AM   #52
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Hey Tim,

Excellent.
      11-19-2011, 02:10 PM   #53
JD75
JDTuning
Rep

Quote:
So the 1M's I see have a 2nd small radiator/cooler on the passenger side... is this oil or water?
From what I recall that was the location of the 135i PPK supplemental rad, I suspect that would be for water as I doubt the 1M would employ dual oil coolers.

Though I could be wrong, as I have never even seen a 1M in the flesh.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 06:28 PM   #54
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
From what I recall that was the location of the 135i PPK supplemental rad, I suspect that would be for water as I doubt the 1M would employ dual oil coolers.

Though I could be wrong, as I have never even seen a 1M in the flesh.
And I thought it was for oil as per the N54 performance upgrade kit. I could be wrong though...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 06:39 PM   #55
pcockley
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335

Pretty sure there are 2 oil coolers on the 1m
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 07:27 PM   #56
JD75
JDTuning
Rep

Hey Gents,

I have had further discussions with Pete regarding the complete cooling system upgrade, that Advan Performance has in the pipeline.

As a rule of thumb they generally use Koyorad for all the Skyline radiator upgrades.

However given that the lead time required would be quite significant to get a prototype manufactured for the 1 & 3 series vehicles, we have decided to run with the same upgraded radiator I had installed prior to the "Hot Tuner Shootout".

The then "one-off" radiator was fabed up by PWR, who are very well known within Aus for their performance based cooling components.

I don't have the exact specifications of the radiator on hand, however Pete will dig those up next week.

I can tell you, that the PWR rad is a direct swap for the OE unit, as fitment is excellent and it also retains the use of the factory snap fittings.

I have had it installed on my 1'er for some time now, and I have had no issues whatsoever on the street.

More importantly the water temp during the Shootout, was as you would expect .

Here are some pics for you guys, as you can see it is most certainly a quality product, that has been manufactured to the highest of standards, Advan Performance standards.

Pricing on the complete cooling solution and specific component details to follow shortly.

Cheers,

JD.
Attached Images

Last edited by JD75; 11-21-2011 at 12:28 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 05:45 PM   #57
pcockley
Banned
Rep

JD/Skycat

Chaps I am assuning the oil cooler is on the back burner then? The reason I ask is that mike fro N54 has the AR cooler on special for $649.00 with Free Shipping (I expect UA only!!!) as part of the Black Friday Promo.

This is my prefered setup (well almost I would prefer a parallel setup where oil goes through both coolers but in this config they are seperate as I understand) of being in front of the radiator and price seems ok I guess.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 05:21 AM   #58
JD75
JDTuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcockley View Post
JD/Skycat

Chaps I am assuning the oil cooler is on the back burner then?
Hey Paul,

nothing could be further from the truth.

The PWR rad is essentially the second component in the complete 135i/335i Performance cooling solution, that Advan Performance is currently developing.

I posted the above pics because the radiator is something that we can currently produce, as I have that exact rad in my 1'er.

The oil cooler is a work in progress.

Pete is sourcing the various components with regards the oil cooler as we speak.

This is what I can confirm thus far.

The oil cooler will be a Setrab core or possibly an Earl's core.

The oil lines and fittings will be sourced from Earl's Performance Products.

The thermostat will be an Earl's too, providing they can supply a thermostat that begins to open around the 82 degrees Celsius mark.

Otherwise we will run with the same thermostat that was supplied with my Stett kit.

The OE thermostat housing bypass/blanking plate will be fabed up by Pete himself, as will the various mounting brackets associated with the oil cooler.

Pete is also working on an upgraded trans cooler for all you Auto guys.

However first things first,

the complete cooling solution will be offered by Advan Performance, inclusive of fitment and all associated hardware for $2,495.00

It will comprise the complete oil cooler kit as outlined above, with exact component details forthcoming.

Obviously the PWR radiator pictured will be utilised.

Pete will also include your choice of either Redline "Waterwetter" or Motul "MoCOOL", to further aid in the heat exchange properties of the upgraded rad.

I hope to be able to post up pics of the various oil cooler components soon.

Stay tuned gents, more to follow shortly.

Cheers,

JD.

Last edited by JD75; 11-22-2011 at 06:04 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 04:18 PM   #59
pcockley
Banned
Rep

Thanks for the update. I am not 100% on the 'OE thermostat housing bypass/blanking plate' bit.

Are you planning on replacing the stock oil cooler like the Stett kit you have or will this be an additional oil cooler in front of the radiator.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 05:26 PM   #60
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Quote:
Thanks for the update. I am not 100% on the 'OE thermostat housing bypass/blanking plate' bit.

Are you planning on replacing the stock oil cooler like the Stett kit you have or will this be an additional oil cooler in front of the radiator.
You will never buy this kit, so why ask more questions?

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 05:32 PM   #61
pcockley
Banned
Rep

Well someone got up on the wrong side of bed this morning?

Seriously how can you compare this 'kit' with whats on the market unless you understand how it works?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 06:15 PM   #62
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Well someone got up on the wrong side of bed this morning?

Seriously how can you compare this 'kit' with whats on the market unless you understand how it works?
Not at all. You stated you are making a buying decision based on what you've read from US posters with a circa $300 USD cost. There's no way you're going to pay for this kit, so why bother asking more detailed questions?

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 06:31 PM   #63
pcockley
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I think he is referring to me :-)

In my defense I only claim it is outrageous based on the dudes in the states DIY's where they show you and say all this for 300, plus their time of course.
Kenny why so angry dude? still upset about the 1M huh...

If you are going to quote me at least get the quote right. Feel free to explain how the oil cooler is going to work. because I also stated my preference was for a kit that worked in parrallel with the stock cooler with the additional cooler in front of the radiator, but to date this has not been stated.

I think everyone who has been to advan is more than happy with pete's work but I think it is only fair and reasonable to understand how the kit will work
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 05:39 AM   #64
JD75
JDTuning
Rep

Quote:
Hey Paul,

essentially the OE thermostat must be bypassed via an always open/pass through adapter plate.

Without the above you will not have full oil flow throughout the cooler until almost 115 degrees Celsius, this is why many of you guys see operating temps of around 120 degrees Celsius in stop and go traffic.

Here is a pic of the thermostat housing adapter plate that was supplied with my Stett Stage 2 kit.

Pete will fab up a similar plate, that will allow the oil to flow without restriction in and out of the OE housing and onto the replacement thermostat mounted externally.

The new thermostat will be fully open by approximately 90 degrees Celsius, which will in turn will see a noticeable drop in start-stop traffic oil operating temperatures.

More importantly when tracking the car, with the significant airflow across the oil cooler core temps will no longer continue climb quickly and go beyond 125 degrees Celsius, as is the case with OE setup.
Attached Images

Last edited by JD75; 11-23-2011 at 06:10 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 05:45 AM   #65
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Kenny why so angry dude? still upset about the 1M huh...

If you are going to quote me at least get the quote right. Feel free to explain how the oil cooler is going to work. because I also stated my preference was for a kit that worked in parrallel with the stock cooler with the additional cooler in front of the radiator, but to date this has not been stated.

I think everyone who has been to advan is more than happy with pete's work but I think it is only fair and reasonable to understand how the kit will work
I'm not angry or upset Paul and I don't own a 1M nor am I emotionally invested in what anyone thinks of them.

I'm just saying you're never going to pay Advan Performance $2,500 for an aftermarket cooling solution and I'm wondering why you would still ask detailed questions about that product.

It's a logical question with no emotional content attached!

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 04:45 PM   #66
pcockley
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Hey Paul,

essentially the OE thermostat must be bypassed via an always open/pass through adapter plate.

Without the above you will not have full oil flow throughout the cooler until almost 115 degrees Celsius, this is why many of you guys see operating temps of around 120 degrees Celsius in stop and go traffic.

Here is a pic of the thermostat housing adapter plate that was supplied with my Stett Stage 2 kit.

Pete will fab up a similar plate, that will allow the oil to flow without restriction in and out of the OE housing and onto the replacement thermostat mounted externally.

The new thermostat will be fully open by approximately 90 degrees Celsius, which will in turn will see a noticeable drop in start-stop traffic oil operating temperatures.

More importantly when tracking the car, with the significant airflow across the oil cooler core temps will no longer continue climb quickly and go beyond 125 degrees Celsius, as is the case with OE setup.
JD

Thanks I appreciate the time to explain the setup, I was assuming the new thermostat was replacing the OEM unit, but I understand why the new adaptor plate is needed now.

Did you do the radiator AND oil cooler at the same time on your car, just wondering if you saw a difference in cooling between them? From an install timeframe do you have any idea how long this would take, just wondering if it's a day job or if its taxi time?
Appreciate 0