BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-13-2008, 01:53 PM   #353
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
So how do you conclude that 135 is the most reliable of the 3?
There are several things to consider:
- Year 1 of the 1 will most likely have the most problems, no matter what enthusiasts say. Avoid year one and the aggravating issues that come from helping BMW debug their car.
- Stay away from any useless electronics. Avoid iDrive which will go through at least 5-6 software revisions, avoid BT, USB/iPod etc. My iPod interface in the 335 still doesn't work correctly, after 3-4 visits to the dealer.
- A BMW will not strand you, typically - at least if you follow my first advice.

BMW's will usually suffer small niggling problems - not trying to gloss over them, but IMO they pale in comparison to the driving pleasure.

To get a feel for the long term reliability of various BMW's, look at the end of the Roundel (CCA magazine) to see how many old cars are still on the road (and their mileage). Not a bulletproof indicator, but an indicator nevertheless IMO.

Quote:
As to you guys arguing about awd vs. rwd, no matter what your theories state the real world answer is that evo will out handle a 135 unless
In real world driving, it won't. Both cars' limits are so high, that they almost never come into play in regular driving. You will need a track for that. And yes, if I get a 135i I would quickly spend $2-3k in certain wheel/suspension mods.

Even after that, I will relish the RWD handling dynamics for years to come, ever adding to my pleasure, knowledge and eventually skill.

Quote:
I doubt the 135 will become the equivalent of a white convertible mustang.
There are very few moderns cars that can fulfill that type of role, or acquire that type of mistique. I'm struggling to name one that is currently on sale.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 01:55 PM   #354
JT-KGY
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82TT6 View Post
This would tend to indicate either next to no power going to the front end, or the car not being quite at the limits yet.

Evos use non-staggered tires, right?

In a situation where you're turning, and applying power to the front wheels, they will break loose first, as they naturally have less traction than the rears, thanks to the weight shift from acceleration.

Either the AWD system is smarter than I thought, or I'm not as smart as I think! :biggrin:

I know the Evo X can shift nearly all the power to the rear wheels, which is part of why it has such amazing handling, and is faster around a track at 10/10ths than the IX, despite weighing quite a bit more, and having much less extreme tires. I was under the impression that the front wheels in the 8/9 stayed powered at all times.

It's the front LSD working... I've driven 03 Evos (non-front LSD) and the front
will start to wash out as I accelerate hard through the sweeper...
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 04:50 PM   #355
imported_Oreo
Rep
Drives:

As far as the convenience as a daily driver....

I've seen varying estimates from different sources regarding GAS MILEAGE. It seems gas is a really important part of the daily budget these days. What are the real MPGs we're seeing from these cars in comparison?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 05:31 PM   #356
Dan203
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

People on this forum are reporting an average of about 22mpg for the 135i. Over on an Evo forum I use to frequent people averaged about 18mpg. So the 135i seems to beat the Evo in gas mileage.

Dan
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 05:59 PM   #357
imported_Oreo
Rep
Drives:

seems to...hehe

I wish I could see some hard data #'s on this somewhere..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 06:14 PM   #358
JT-KGY
Private
Rep
Drives:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov

I'm getting 22-23mpg on my Evo IX... but then i'm pretty easy on the gas
on public roads...
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 07:11 PM   #359
pavelitto
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i Performance

Clarkson:
Quote:
Of course, a Mitsubishi Evo or a Subaru Impreza will grip more and slingshot you from bend to bend with more urgency, but if you prefer a more flowing style - less grip and more handling – then you would be better off with the little Beemer.
Well I wasn't sure about what to choose also...
At first I loved evo for about 2-3 months
Than I changed my mind and decided Subaru is the right choice
Now I finalizing the order of 135i

I know that I won't regret as I know bmw cars very well (I'm young) but everybody in my family drives bmw's and I love every bit of them the 650i the Z4 coupe, The 325XI. As you can see I have driven different types of sport oriented bmw cars even the the 3 series awd. Believe you me that if you want to have the same driving fun with awd as with rwd you better have lots of power reserves.
      05-19-2008, 09:04 PM   #360
S4U2NV
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04__STi View Post
I have an 04 STi now and it was the rawest of them all.

I have a kid and live in the north east so AWD and 4 doors helps.

BMW is luxury 1st performance 2nd which is the complete opposite for subie/mits...I would hate to buy a 135i and have it be too soft.

Based on looks alone:

1: 135i-sexy
2: EVO X-sexy but FAT
3: STi-ugly hatchback but love my current 04 STi's engine and feel.
I agree with the too soft comment. I drive an M coupe now and thinking about getting the 135i as my next car. I would hate to get it and not be satisfied with the performance/handling. That's why I'm so interested in the tii and will prob wait for it!!
      05-20-2008, 02:36 AM   #361
JT-KGY
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavelitto View Post
Clarkson:

Well I wasn't sure about what to choose also...
At first I loved evo for about 2-3 months
Than I changed my mind and decided Subaru is the right choice
Now I finalizing the order of 135i

I know that I won't regret as I know bmw cars very well (I'm young) but everybody in my family drives bmw's and I love every bit of them the 650i the Z4 coupe, The 325XI. As you can see I have driven different types of sport oriented bmw cars even the the 3 series awd. Believe you me that if you want to have the same driving fun with awd as with rwd you better have lots of power reserves.

Did clarkson drive both? According to that "track graph" posted by
Motortrend... Evo X was out cornering the 135 while 135 out accelerate
the Evo.. it also said that 135's steering seemingly telepathic until you drive
the Evo... I can attest that having owned both the Evo (IX) and E36 M3.
Anyways, since you've driven all these BMWs, thought you might want to
change pace a little... just a thought

Both are great cars though...
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 02:56 AM   #362
pavelitto
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i Performance

well I've driven them (made in each couple thousands kilometers in each) but non of these is my own Now I'm trying to choose the right ride for myself and the thing is that you just get used to the brand and thus design, functionality, quality. I just know that I can get new BMW and I won't be disappointed or it won't be what i expected.
I love the i dirve etc (those little things keep you with the brand)
I think bmw offers you the right amount of adrenaline/driving fun while also keeping the right level of quality etc.
In case of evo i got scared of al those electronic systems ( even sst transmission) which probably make the car go faster but might just take a little of car's rough/ hardcore soul.
I don't know its my opinion
      05-27-2008, 05:02 PM   #363
imported_Oreo
Rep
Drives:

I don't remember which magazine article I was reading, but It said they were averaging launches of 4.6 sec 0-60 mph with the EVO X GSR. Numbers seem to keep getting better for the evo X, which seems to have a tricky launch. Any comments on this? Anyone read this article or found some references to back up my statement?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 07:07 PM   #364
Dan203
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

No way anyone is getting those kinds of numbers from an unmodified Evo X. Not unless they stripped the hell out of it to reduce the weight. More likely it had a few mods or a chip in it and that's how it was able to pull those numbers.

Dan
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 08:35 PM   #365
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
First off, none of the 1s qualify as "cute" cars so the style aspect of a "chick car" just isn't there. That said, almost every manufacturer tries to offer something to women since they also buy cars. A Blue Water 128 convertable is probably the chickest 1. On the other hand, you had white Mustangs and you had Bullit, Shelbys and Mach 1s - more than enough macho in one car line to cancel the occasional feminine selection. If you get nothing else from this web site, you should note that it's full of male gear heads and there's hardly a woman in sight. That should give you some indication as to which audience the one series has attracted (addicted).

A further reading of the market suggests that Evos and STIs are pretty much a young man's pocket rocket where as the 1 seems to atttract older, more experienced drivers who had their time driving street legal go-carts and now want something still capable and fun, but with way more refinement and comfort.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 04:15 AM   #366
JT-KGY
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
First off, none of the 1s qualify as "cute" cars so the style aspect of a "chick car" just isn't there.
I saw 3 1's in my neighborhood so far.. all driven by women..(all 128s)
The car looks quite small to me, smaller than most base econo cars out
there (civic, corolla, sentra).. but it's a good thing for enthusiast just that
too bad it only saves you a mere 150lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
older, more experienced drivers who had their time driving street legal go-carts
this described like 0.001% of the population...
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 08:43 AM   #367
damian
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

the new STi commercial where STi's are flying all over the place on rally courses is pretty cool.

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 09:32 AM   #368
imported_Oreo
Rep
Drives:

Dan203...here is the reference to backup my last post:

"The Evo averages an astonishing 4.6 seconds from 0 to 60 mph. It might only beat the Subaru STI to that mark because the Evo can get there, just barely, in second gear, although it also holds a slight advantage through the quarter-mile, too. That’s despite ceding 10 horsepower and 192 pounds of curb weight to the STI. "

It is in page 4 of the article in this URL...

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/..._test/(page)/1

any comments on this guys? It seems a little to low...but the STI did flat 5.0's which seems to be accurate...
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 01:14 PM   #369
jonerik26
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: black 335i e90 PRE-LCI

Garage List
2007 335i  [8.00]
1998 Acura Integra  [8.50]
2006 325i  [8.00]
08 sti
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 01:21 PM   #370
JT-KGY
Private
Rep
Drives:

Evo X is quite slow here at Edmund's test
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...otopanel..1#24

5.6 to the 60mph... but then if you bought Evo for straight line performance
you'll be disappointed. Here Evo X took 3rd in track time just behind GT-R and
R8....not bad for a 3500lb porky car.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 01:26 PM   #371
Dan203
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
Dan203...here is the reference to backup my last post:

"The Evo averages an astonishing 4.6 seconds from 0 to 60 mph. It might only beat the Subaru STI to that mark because the Evo can get there, just barely, in second gear, although it also holds a slight advantage through the quarter-mile, too. That’s despite ceding 10 horsepower and 192 pounds of curb weight to the STI. "

It is in page 4 of the article in this URL...

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison_test/hatchbacks/subaru_wrx_sti_vs_mitsubishi_evo_gsr_vs_vw_r32_com parison_test/(page)/1

any comments on this guys? It seems a little to low...but the STI did flat 5.0's which seems to be accurate...
I don't know what they're doing differently it that article, but they ran two other articles on the Evo X prior to this and posted 0-60 times as "5 seconds flat" in both...

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...lution_feature

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...gy+page-2.html

Perhaps they got a better driver, or maybe the newest ECU flash made a difference, or maybe they just screwed up when timing it.

Dan
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 02:51 PM   #372
BMW135iCA
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

How about a stock 135i and a stock evo go at it at a 40 mile per hour role, and then we see who takes who. The evo's are great cars, great handling with very modification friendly engine. One thing though, you have to get the car higher in hp to equal the same at the wheels because it is all wheel drive. The reason those evos and sti pull of a 0-60 under 5 with probably no more then 235 at the wheels is because it just grips. I'd still take the 1 any day.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 04:45 PM   #373
JT-KGY
Private
Rep
Drives:

Why are we so concern about 0-60 times??
I thought people paid for 135 for that extra refinement and handling.
People paid for X for a track-ready car and great handling and grip...

That 0.4s difference could be from the pavement or temperature at the time.
or maybe the driver???

Straight line cars are much cheaper...
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 04:48 PM   #374
imported_Oreo
Rep
Drives:

0.4s is a LOT lol
Appreciate 0