James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

Which Porsche after a 1M ???

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Which of the myriad of Porsche models would be the next step up from the 1M? I may be looking for a new car and I've always wanted a Porsche, but I sure don't want anything that is less than my 1M in driving performance.

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 09:36 AM   #2
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Rothmans 956

[/thread]

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 09:37 AM   #3
yemski
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Garage List
2011 1M Coupe  [0.00]
997 GT3
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 10:17 AM   #4
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

Good timing this thread. I attended the Porsche Centre at Silverstone yesterday and drove the 911 Carerra (both 4WD and 2WD), the new Cayman, the new Boxster and a few others (Panamera, etc). This was a good opportunity to test the all of the above against my (admittedly tuned) 1M.

All I can say is that all of the above were fun, but the Boxster and Caymen were the two I thought stood out the most. Having said that, none of the above cars, not even the 400bhp Carrera felt anywhere near as quick as my 1M. The throttle response felt slower, the lack of torque was a lot less and I think they handled no better (and no worse) than my 1M.

So what would I choose? None of the above if I'm honest, although I'd like to drive the GT3 as I think that would be the only car I'd want to swap my 1M for
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #5
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBuer View Post
Good timing this thread. I attended the Porsche Centre at Silverstone yesterday and drove the 911 Carerra (both 4WD and 2WD), the new Cayman, the new Boxster and a few others (Panamera, etc). This was a good opportunity to test the all of the above against my (admittedly tuned) 1M.

All I can say is that all of the above were fun, but the Boxster and Caymen were the two I thought stood out the most. Having said that, none of the above cars, not even the 400bhp Carrera felt anywhere near as quick as my 1M. The throttle response felt slower, the lack of torque was a lot less and I think they handled no better (and no worse) than my 1M.

So what would I choose? None of the above if I'm honest, although I'd like to drive the GT3 as I think that would be the only car I'd want to swap my 1M for

me too...
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 11:47 AM   #6
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

I was thinking for the new Cayman S, which is a nice looking car IRL

But my biggest concern is the lack of torque compared to the 1M, the numbers do speak for them selves;

Cayman S 370 Nm
1M (on paper 450-500 Nm) IRL more like 550 Nm

The comment above proofs my concern to be real ..

I really do like the Porker ( and I`m not a huge fan of the brand ), but it needs more bite IMHO

Let`s see what the M2 / M4 will bring......
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #7
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T. Kirk
Which of the myriad of Porsche models would be the next step up from the 1M? I may be looking for a new car and I've always wanted a Porsche, but I sure don't want anything that is less than my 1M in driving performance.
I think the most visceral Porsche like 1M is the 935PDP! Big fenders big power slight lag and limited numbers!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #8
Mahlzeit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

+1 vote for the 997.1 GT3. Just need to add rear seats, as I need to cart kids frequently, and in general want to share the experience with my boys.

Really would love to drive one in a non-sales environment. To see if it could serve the purpose.

In my very shallow search it seems a non-tracked gt3 runs around high 70's. so be prepared to through $25k on top of your 1M's value. Not trivial, but not out of reach either
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #9
IZAGLO
Mbira
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedonna Red 09 135i SOLD

Cayman S...........would be my choice and indeed feel this is every bit as fast as the 1M, even with less TQ..
My other choice would be a Lotus Evora S....
My favorite 2 cars so far for 2013...
I as well am waiting for the M2 to be released but for what it's worth i love the 2 cars i just mentioned..and they are sexy as hell!!!!!!!

***There is a BIG difference in the Cayman and the Cayman S...it's huge. Not just in power..suspension, exhaust, and with the sport exhaust on this car it sounds amazing when wringing it out.

Last edited by IZAGLO; 04-24-2013 at 12:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #10
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Nothing beats the stance, awesomeness and sound of a good old 993 Turbo.

Plug in your headphones and start from 01:00 of this notorious Stockholm 2000 video (fake cops, though):

However, the Mother of all street race videos will always remain "C'était un Rendez-vous" shot by Claude Lelouch in August 1976 at dawn in Paris (do know that the raw sound of the 4-litre V12 Ferrari 275 GTB revving was added in the cutting room and that the car was by no means speeding as fast as the sound suggests):

04-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #11
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

I was going to say Cayman R but you might as well go for broke and do it properly:

get a Singer.

The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #12
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

You want better "driving performance" measured how? Street speed, track? Are you looking new or used? DD? Modified?

A Cayman S is going to be slightly higher performance than an equally tuned 1M everywhere except a straight line. It doesn't always feel like it, and it's not as sideways as a 1M, but against a clock it's clearly quicker: fractionally better brakes, slightly more grip, more stable at high speed, quicker transitions. In a straight line, however, if feels slower due to the lack of torque. In reality a new Cayman S is probably roughly as quick (stock). Tuned it won't pick up as much as a 1M, but it does have the same 350 hp motor as the base 991 carrera with a milder tune.

Personally I find the older Caymans a little boring to drive compared to the 1M, haven't tried a new one yet. The chassis is just screaming for more power, though, and even 350 hp seems light; a 3.8 X51 swap would probably be the minimum needed for that car to feel like an upgrade in driving experience over the 1M for me.

Any of the GT3s are similar or upgrades, IMHO. You're still missing the torque, but the throttle response and top end makes up for it. The new one's going to be a monster, but it's a shame it'll only come with a DCT- probably a deal breaker for me.

GT2s are monsters. 500 hp and torque at the wheels with just a chip in the 996, more in the later ones. If you don't mind the looks and the turbo lag they are in a different league than the 1M.

My personal choices would be either a 997.2 GT3/ RS, or a new Cayman with a motor swap, likely the new GT3 motor. Semi-credible rumor has it that Porsche may produce that car as a 2016 model, I'll buy one if they do.

Of course any of the older cars can be modified to be as fast as you'd like, but I'm assuming you're looking for something more modern.
      04-24-2013, 12:35 PM   #13
Pankrivoklat
Private
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW, Porsche

Buy one of RAUH-WELT BEGRIFF brilliantly restored Porsche 964.
2019 BMW F90 M5 | 2014 Porsche 991 Carrera 2S | 2013 BMW F01 740dX | 2011 BMW E82 1M Coupe | 2008 BMW E70 X5 3.0d | 2003 BMW E46 M3 Coupe | 2000 Porsche 996 Carrera 4 | 2000 BMW E39 535i | 1998 BMW E39 528i
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 12:38 PM   #14
Pankrivoklat
Private
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW, Porsche

2019 BMW F90 M5 | 2014 Porsche 991 Carrera 2S | 2013 BMW F01 740dX | 2011 BMW E82 1M Coupe | 2008 BMW E70 X5 3.0d | 2003 BMW E46 M3 Coupe | 2000 Porsche 996 Carrera 4 | 2000 BMW E39 535i | 1998 BMW E39 528i
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #15
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo View Post
I was thinking for the new Cayman S, which is a nice looking car IRL

But my biggest concern is the lack of torque compared to the 1M, the numbers do speak for them selves;

Cayman S 370 Nm
1M (on paper 450-500 Nm) IRL more like 550 Nm

The comment above proofs my concern to be real ..

I really do like the Porker ( and I`m not a huge fan of the brand ), but it needs more bite IMHO

Let`s see what the M2 / M4 will bring......
Just a week ago test drove the new Boxster S and my 1M one after another: unless you open the Porsche on a long straight with Sport or Sport Plus mode on, I could easily believe that 1M has around 100 hp more and torque is like double of Porsche. It was PDK equipped car. At full acceleration they seem close enough. Porsche has a much better (read: neutral) balance though and infinitely better quality of materials inside as well as a surprising ride comfort.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #16
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

For DD I would go with a 991 S. GT3 is a fantastic car but not the best DD IMO.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 01:31 PM   #17
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Just a week ago test drove the new Boxster S and my 1M one after another: unless you open the Porsche on a long straight with Sport or Sport Plus mode on, I could easily believe that 1M has around 100 hp more and torque is like double of Porsche. It was PDK equipped car. At full acceleration they seem close enough. Porsche has a much better (read: neutral) balance though and infinitely better quality of materials inside as well as a surprising ride comfort.
Great comment, thanks

I must say i do like the Cayman S a lot, it looks marvelous IRL

In next few weeks I will make an appointment for a test drive myself.

I also heard the Cayman will eventually will come with a 4 cylinder turbo, not caled "R" but most likely "GT"

We will see, I will definitely wait for an M2 and than make a comparison between the BMW and the Porker.......
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 01:36 PM   #18
NjSant
Private
Rep

The singer porsches are absolutely stunning imho but I believe they're around 250k give or take depending on how you build it.

I think the cayman is the most comparable to the M and from what Ive heard are great fun to drive. Obviously won't have much cargo space in any porsche but I dont know if thats a concern, I like being able to fit a golf bag in my car. Also, GT3's are epic.

Singer
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 01:37 PM   #19
vantagesc
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post
You want better "driving performance" measured how? Street speed, track? Are you looking new or used? DD? Modified?

A Cayman S is going to be slightly higher performance than an equally tuned 1M everywhere except a straight line. It doesn't always feel like it, and it's not as sideways as a 1M, but against a clock it's clearly quicker: fractionally better brakes, slightly more grip, more stable at high speed, quicker transitions. In a straight line, however, if feels slower due to the lack of torque.
Very true, it's hard to beat the 1M in the "real world" because most of the time you are not keeping the engine spinning at high revs and need the torque. Hell, my 135i is faster than my track car in the real world where you can't take turns at insane speeds and spin your motor above 6k rpm all the time.

So from a performance perspective, the 911 Turbo is probably one of the best "real world" Porsches you can get.

But I mean, all of these cars have adequate performance for the street IMO. Get the one that's the most fun to drive.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #20
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo View Post
Great comment, thanks

I must say i do like the Cayman S a lot, it looks marvelous IRL

In next few weeks I will make an appointment for a test drive myself.

I also heard the Cayman will eventually will come with a 4 cylinder turbo, not caled "R" but most likely "GT"

We will see, I will definitely wait for an M2 and than make a comparison between the BMW and the Porker.......
Hmmm, a new Cayman with a four cylinder turbo and manual box would be like a dream come true! That will be both faster and more agile, probably lighter and more fuel efficient. If only we could put back the old steering in the new car, but I believe if you go with the new Cayman you won't notice it anymore after sometime since it is perfectly precise and silent at the same time. In any case put the sport exhaust as a nice distraction
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 02:07 PM   #21
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

For me, I wouldn't sell the 1M for anything less than a GT-3, maybe a Cayman R or Boxter Spyder. That said, if you don't plan to see any track time then the GT-3 is likely overkill.

You didn't mention price point, which would really help this discussion. Unless you either plan to buy a used car or spend $100k+ you are looking at a pretty small sample size of P-cars. Cayman/Boxter S, or a base 911, maybe an S with minimal options.

If you are going used, I would look at the Cayman R or the Boxter Spyder. Neither are practical as an only car for most lifestyles, but both feel rare and special similar to the 1M. The driving dynamics of the mid-engined porsches are hard to beat. That said, on the road it won't "feel" as fast as a 1M due to the lack of torque.

I personally would have a hard time buying a brand new Porsche of any flavor. They bend you over once you start checking the boxes on options. Maybe having exactly what you want is important to you, but to me it really isn't. I would need a few things (limited slip diff, bluetooth, sport seats or buckets), but wouldn't be as picky about things like leather covered AC slats, red seat-belts and the like.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #22
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantagesc View Post
From a performance perspective, the 911 Turbo is probably one of the best "real world" Porsches you can get.

But I mean, all of these cars have adequate performance for the street IMO. Get the one that's the most fun to drive.
I agree, but honestly I don't find the TT that much fun to drive. It's hugely effective, but the 1M going sideways is simply much more fun most of the time for me.