BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-06-2016, 12:39 PM   #1
dandandan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i N55 DCT

This is for the LCI style mirrors...

Step 1: Angle the further tip of the ends of the glass as far outwards towards the windows as possible. You will want a larger gap between the glass and the black plastic housing, to get a proper trim tool in the gap and make contact with the plastic backing of the mirror glass. Gently pry the back of the glass outward using a plastic trim tool with a slight bend or pry angle. The tool should be making contact with the plastic backing of the mirror glass. The glass should pop off the circular glass angle motors in one piece and be held on by two pins (heat only) or a four pin wiring harness (heat/auto dim), depending on the type of mirrors you have.

Once the glass is removed, four clip cavities holding the mirror caps are exposed.

Step 2: Apply gentle pressure one corner at a time on the mirror cap (away from the housing) while releasing the first tab (1) with a thin flathead screwdriver. Once tab one is released, the teeth on the other side of the mirror tab (2) can slowly start to work themselves downward. Be very patient with each corner as these will need to be worked downward and away from the bracket several times.

Tab one (1) will have a tendency to re-clip itself so be sure to start over on any corner that has managed to clip in again. Pay attention to the sound it makes if this happens.

Take your time as this can be a bit of a fight and go in a circular direction to avoid re-clipping the first tab.

Cross section of one of the four tabs:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0