BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-09-2011, 11:58 PM   #1
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep
Drives: The horse I fell off

1M first service.

For those who have or are getting a 1M, I read on the US forum that the gear box oil for the 1M is a special oil that your dealer may be unaware of namely -
MTF-LT-5 P/N 83 22 2 167 666. The part number may not be correct as it refers to a bulk quantity not disclosed.

This is the bulletin issued to US BMW dealers per Dan Parker's thread on the US site -

To: BMW Service Managers, Shop Foremen, and Technicians

Subject: 1 Series M Coupe 1200 Mile Service – Manual Transmission MTF LT5 Fluid Not Available

The 1 Series M Coupe requires a manual transmission fluid change. Due to a shortage of the new MTF LT5 manual transmission fluid, this specific service should not be performed until further notice. The other procedures for the 1200 mile service can be performed.

Do not substitute MTF LT5 fluid with any other fluid.

No premature wear will occur to the manual transmission if the fluid is not changed at the 1200 miles service.

We apologize for this inconvenience, and will provide additional information shortly.

May be worth checking with your dealer about this. I have sent an email to Lyntons but have yet to hear back. You don't want your car up on the hoist with it's vitals in a hazard waste drum only to find out that they don't have the oil and it's a three week wait for it.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 02:07 AM   #2
andrew@southernBM
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 F80, M140i

The is only 8 1 litre bottles available in this spec currently.
Mmm, should i buy them all and hold the monopoly, bwahahahaha About $55 p/l currently retail.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 02:21 AM   #3
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep

First service is free for owners.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 03:27 AM   #4
andrew@southernBM
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 F80, M140i

Free, cos they aint got no gearbox oil
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 03:47 AM   #5
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep

What's going to hurt them is having to buy a minimum quantity which may be 60lts. At $55 per ltr that's $3300. Less any wholesale discount. Doesn't worry the dealer as a free service is invoiced back to BMW. So what happens? Does BMW send 4 ltr amounts at a time to dealers? Do the dealer service centres stock oil they won't use? I don't care. As long as it's ready for me when it's time for a service. I mentioned this for all Australian 1M owners so they don't get caught out.
BMW Aus' won't be on top of this. Witness what happened on the first day of delivery for Steve Brown and me. BMW had not notified the licensing authorities of the existence of our cars. My dealer tried to pretend that the delay was a workshop problem but thanks to this forum I knew better. When I mentioned it at my dealer they fessed up and admitted to BMW's stuff up. Knowledge is power.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 03:50 AM   #6
130iguy
I'm Riley, I'm awesome
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 Comp

i dont want to sound like a dick, but how are you going to know what fluids they put in unless you actually stand there and watch them do it?
      06-10-2011, 03:55 AM   #7
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep

You can always get an analysis. Besides, as much as they can be sneaky I doubt they would be in this case. The bulletin is from BMW Germany and for the sake of a bit of oil it's not worth the risk of failed gearboxes traced back to BMW Aus' trying to be cheap. It's just part of the expense of the operation. It will be passed on one way or another. Besides further, it's now public knowledge via this forum and I have sent them an email regarding this matter. Pretty hard to hide from it. Anyway, it's not a big deal. They just have to have the oil ready on the day.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 04:00 AM   #8
130iguy
I'm Riley, I'm awesome
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 Comp

yeh i guess, but having dealt with BMW Brisbane for about 5 years now, i wouldnt be suprised if they did something like that even if it was done unintentionally...
      06-10-2011, 04:07 AM   #9
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

No need to panic I think BMW Australia can handle oil supplies.

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 05:10 AM   #10
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
I think it's just the fact that there might be a random derp apprentice who just assumes it's the same oil as a 135i and throws that in.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 05:35 AM   #11
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Someone in the US has a three week wait without his car because his dealer wasn't aware of this and they can't get the oil. Apparently it's not just any oil. Not trying to be precious about 1Ms but that's the way it is. Apparently. Still waiting for a response to my email to the dealer re this issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 05:49 AM   #12
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Not panicking. Just being prepared and hopefully helping others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef Beef View Post
I think it's just the fact that there might be a random derp apprentice who just assumes it's the same oil as a 135i and throws that in.
That did happen to someone and they had to have their car flat topped to the service centre after the dealer realised their mistake and now will have to wait till the correct oil arrives. Three weeks would you believe?

I'm not trying to scare monger - I'm just alerting 1M owners to a potential problem. That's one of the things this forum is for I would have thought. If BMW Aus' is on to it then everything is fine.
I don't know what Andrew at Southern's source is but he states that there are only 8 ltrs of LT5 in Australia at present. That aint enough.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 07:45 AM   #13
lavaletta
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 04 3.0i Z4; 09 135i; VO 1M

Thanks for bringing that to everyones attention Gazz. I'm certainly going to bring it to my dealers attention as I get close to the service. You can bet London to a brick they won't be aware of it...
      06-10-2011, 09:04 AM   #14
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=541737

Guys read post 73 in this thread... there is NEW news...

Basically 1M's during the 1200 mile service do NOT require the transfluid to be flushed..... ( at least in the USA )
      06-10-2011, 04:38 PM   #15
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

And by the sounds of things, at the owners expense..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 05:39 PM   #16
SAFE4NOW
... well you are...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 C63, 2007 Rs4, 2005 Elise

Arrow -- Cross Post --

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazz View Post
For those who have or are getting a 1M, I read on the US forum that the gear box oil for the 1M is a special oil that your dealer may be unaware of namely -
MTF-LT-5 P/N 83 22 2 167 666. The part number may not be correct as it refers to a bulk quantity not disclosed.

This is the bulletin issued to US BMW dealers per Dan Parker's thread on the US site -

To: BMW Service Managers, Shop Foremen, and Technicians

Subject: 1 Series M Coupe 1200 Mile Service – Manual Transmission MTF LT5 Fluid Not Available

The 1 Series M Coupe requires a manual transmission fluid change. Due to a shortage of the new MTF LT5 manual transmission fluid, this specific service should not be performed until further notice. The other procedures for the 1200 mile service can be performed.

Do not substitute MTF LT5 fluid with any other fluid.

No premature wear will occur to the manual transmission if the fluid is not changed at the 1200 miles service.

We apologize for this inconvenience, and will provide additional information shortly.

May be worth checking with your dealer about this. I have sent an email to Lyntons but have yet to hear back. You don't want your car up on the hoist with it's vitals in a hazard waste drum only to find out that they don't have the oil and it's a three week wait for it.

What we found earlier today:

Per ZF website , under their list of lubricants ( TE-ML-11 ) under product groups S6-45 BMW Part# 8322 2167 666 (MTF-LT-5) is actually
Pentosin FFL-3

When cross referenced this is the same fluid that Porsche uses under the part# 000 043 207 29 ( Auto Trans Fluid FFL-3 )

Which shows to be in stock locally ( DFW )

Now, stock is limited, but it's faster than " Next Thursday "

Just a thought, feel free to independantly confirm.....

Steve
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 11:59 PM   #17
firechicken99
Major
Rep
Drives: Black '07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFE4NOW View Post
What we found earlier today:

Per ZF website , under their list of lubricants ( TE-ML-11 ) under product groups S6-45 BMW Part# 8322 2167 666 (MTF-LT-5) is actually
Pentosin FFL-3

When cross referenced this is the same fluid that Porsche uses under the part# 000 043 207 29 ( Auto Trans Fluid FFL-3 )

Which shows to be in stock locally ( DFW )

Now, stock is limited, but it's faster than " Next Thursday "

Just a thought, feel free to independantly confirm.....

Steve
Anyone else confirm/try this? I found it online for just over $20 a litre. not bad compared to what bmw usually charges for these fluids!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 12:33 AM   #18
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

Quote:
Originally Posted by firechicken99 View Post
Anyone else confirm/try this? I found it online for just over $20 a litre. not bad compared to what bmw usually charges for these fluids!
FFL-3 is the correct oil. I have an email from BMW Aus agreeing and Sparoz found a PDF direct from ZF (the transmission manufacturer) with the compatible oils. There is a stickied thread in the General Service area of the forum with all the info.
      11-01-2011, 12:36 AM   #19
firechicken99
Major
Rep
Drives: Black '07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alik01 View Post
FFL-3 is the correct oil. I have an email from BMW Aus agreeing and Sparoz found a PDF direct from ZF (the transmission manufacturer) with the compatible oils. There is a stickied thread in the General Service area of the forum with all the info.
Awesome... Good to know if the dealer tries to charge something ridiculous for the fluid.

By chance is that email posted as well? j/w
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 02:24 AM   #20
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

Quote:
Originally Posted by firechicken99 View Post
Awesome... Good to know if the dealer tries to charge something ridiculous for the fluid.

By chance is that email posted as well? j/w
Dear Mr alik01,

We refer to your recent communications with both Mr Bresolin and Mr Dwyer in relation to your BMW 1M and the concerns you have with the transmission.

Firstly, having discussed this matter further with our Technical Department, we can confirm that Pentosin FFL-3 transmission oil is a BMW approved oil and therefore acceptable for use in your vehicle. Naturally, we would prefer that an approved BMW dealer replace the oil, however we also realise that in certain areas of Australia this is not always possible.

Mr alik01, we would like to reassure you that whilst we have every confidence in your vehicle and our product, BMW Group Australia maintains a flexible approach to issues that may occur outside of the normal warranty period that may be as a result of the production process. In your particular case, we understand that your concern related to possible future transmission issues being caused as a direct result of the run in oil not being changed at the pre determined run in period. As such, we can confirm that should your vehicle encounter any technical difficulty with the transmission that is diagnosed by an approved BMW dealer as being a direct result of the delivery oil not being replaced at the defined kilometre range, we will of course support both you as a customer and your vehicle as our product.

We hope that our response provides you with the reassurance you were seeking and that you are able to enjoy your BMW 1M with peace of mind.

Yours Sincerely

Colin Batten

-----------------------------------------------
BMW Group Australia
Colin Batten
Customer Relations Manager
      11-02-2011, 02:36 AM   #21
NPVPositive
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Quote:

Maybe. A dealer which shall remain nameless tried to charge me $630 for the run in service on my 1M. They backed down when I said I was going straight to BMW Australia.

Clarkson on the 1M
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 05:19 AM   #22
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Sylvania BMW doesnt seem to think so.. Only for M3 I was told by the service department..
Then a quick chat with the GM and I was assured that I wont be paying..
Lets see if they stick to their word in 2K kms time.
Appreciate 0