BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-13-2011, 03:52 PM   #23
Sinister Crayon
floccinaucinihilipilifica tion
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejm3 View Post
I calculated my $3k savings by taking US invoice +$500 as an esitmated US purchase price.
Then I took US invoice less 7% for ED invoice. Then added $500 to it for my ED price.

So basically at the end of the day the savings I calculated was 7% off invoice.

If I took full MSRP as US price and took 7%off invoice +$500 my savings would appear to be more. But I don't want to fool myself. Even Edmunds & KBB show actual price paid a decent amount below MSRP.
You, my friend are in desperate need of BMWConfig... hit up the Configurator and price out your machine of choice, go to the right hand side and select "Euro Delivery Invoice" from the drop down and add your $500 to that. Hell, I even used the finance calculator there to negotiate exactly my rate and got the car for exactly what I wanted to pay per month as well as the exact price I wanted.

Hope that helps.

Oh, and for the record I did a Euro Delivery and a Performance Center Delivery. I saved around $5000 on the car, and the trip for 10 days for three people cost right around that. Yes, for three! And I didn't cheap out on a thing... stayed in nice places, drove a lot and ate damned good food. And drank damned good bear. Damn I miss that German beer.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 11:43 AM   #24
ejm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135 Convertible 6MT

Using that site I still don't see a huge savings. Still about $3k assuming I could get $500 over invoice domestic or ED. I would still probably do ED just for the vacation.

Also its interesting that the config site (as well as Edmunds, KBB, etc) shows Premium Package 1 and Premium Package 2 but the BMWUSA site only lists one package.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 03:06 PM   #25
Sinister Crayon
Rep

Quote:
Using that site I still don't see a huge savings. Still about $3k assuming I could get $500 over invoice domestic or ED. I would still probably do ED just for the vacation.

Also its interesting that the config site (as well as Edmunds, KBB, etc) shows Premium Package 1 and Premium Package 2 but the BMWUSA site only lists one package.
Yeah, it probably depends a lot on how you option it up too

Honestly, if you're doing ED for the savings then you're really in for a pretty nasty shock. You can probably get a better price by getting it in the USA and negotiating up from US Invoice price instead. Hell, do a PCD and really enjoy it. Yes, if you're buying an M3, a 6 or a 7 or something you can probably save enough to make the trip worthwhile AND get the savings, but in a 1'er there's just not enough room to cover the cost of anything but a REALLY short trip for one.

I have heard of people who've flown to Munich, picked the car up, driven it to the airport, dropped it off and flown home. Dunno how much fun that would be though, and that would only be worthwhile if you had a car in which you had SIGNIFICANT savings in my opinion.

When I did my ED I had the experience of a lifetime. Of course, in my case I had a trip to Bavaria already planned, was already flying into Munich... the ED was actually an afterthought when I started thinking about both a rental car and the fact that my old car was getting a bit past its prime. It meant that I was on a schedule and couldn't do a lot of things I wanted to do on an ED (never got to do the Stelvio Pass for example), but I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

So no... don't do it for the savings; do it for the experience. Trust me, it's worth it; you get to visit The Welt and the factory... and you'll get treated like royalty the whole time. Then you get to take your car on some of the best roads I have ever driven on (along the base of the Alps), visit historical areas, see some wonderful European cities... and do it all in your own new car.

As a driver though, if you want the ultimate experience you HAVE to do a PCD. Seriously, as a vacation the ED was awesome... but the PCD was heaven for the driver in me. It didn't hurt that I was then able to go drive Route 276, the Tail of the Dragon AND the Cherohala Skyway on my way home
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 06:39 PM   #26
ejm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135 Convertible 6MT

Using FF miles I figure I could cover a week's vacation more or less with a legit $3k savings using ED.
The company I work for does a lot of business in Munich so I can get some pretty attractive corporate rates on hotels.
Not doing it to save money just to go. Not sure how much driving I would do in Germany though. Do they have a track where you can drive the car?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 07:05 PM   #27
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
...Not sure how much driving I would do in Germany though. Do they have a track where you can drive the car?

Yes, they are all over the place here. Its called: the Autobahn!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 08:56 AM   #28
Sinister Crayon
Rep

Quote:
Using FF miles I figure I could cover a week's vacation more or less with a legit $3k savings using ED.
The company I work for does a lot of business in Munich so I can get some pretty attractive corporate rates on hotels.
Not doing it to save money just to go. Not sure how much driving I would do in Germany though. Do they have a track where you can drive the car?
Well, as Dackelone said there's always the Autobahn; awesome when you get an an unrestricted stretch and get to go as fast as you dare, or as fast as your break-in restrictions will allow (depending on your own perspective there) sometimes for hours on-end. Driving from Ansbach to Munich I was able to cruise along at 120mph for about 2 hours straight. Of course, it was humbling to have Toyota Corrolla's blasting past you when you're going that fast already...

Also if you don't mind a bit of a drive and the weather is halfway decent you can also take your car on the legendary Nurburgring. I didn't get to do that due to lack of time, but next Euro Delivery...

Finally, you can enjoy some incredible driving. Some of my favourite driving from my trip wasn't at high speed or on a track; it was in Southern Bavaria along the base of the Alps. Down between Garmisch and Hohenschwangau was gorgeous... drove up through the Black Forest and loved that. Hell, there are just places to drive over there that you'll never forget, and I know I just scratched the surface in the 10 days I was there. Next time; longer trip and more driving
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 03:50 PM   #29
allanak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [2.00]
Do the ED. Did my first one this year and cannot recommend it enough. I met a gentlemen at the Welt who was on his fourth ED if that gives you any indication Yes, you can do it on a lease - I did. Had a blast and plan on going back in 2014 if they can pry the keys from my 1er out of my hands.

As far as your costs, you can use the BMWConfig site to figure out ED invoice and negotiate a profit for the dealer. You avoid the MACO/training fees, but everything else is the same. You should be able to negotiate about $500 over. Insurance and pretty much everything else is covered while you're in the EU with the exception of vignettes for visiting Switzerland or Austria. You literally drive out of the Welt and off to your next destination...which should probably be a gas station If you happen to have any damage to your car, BMW will repair it free of charge at the port of entry so long as you report it at drop-off time. On a lease, BMW picks up one your 2nd month payment while you're waiting for your car.

There are several drop-off points around Europe. It doesn't cost you anything to drop off at the places aside from cab ride back to wherever you're going. I think Italy is the exception here.

Best part of the trip? The Nürburgring.
The worst part? Waiting 8 weeks from dropoff to get my car back on the west coast.

There's a lot more info on ED on the Bimmerfest wiki.

Last edited by allanak; 12-29-2011 at 04:03 PM..
Appreciate 0