BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-14-2015, 03:09 PM   #1
goonerstrike
Rep
Drives: 135i

Suspension Upgrade Checklist

I am about to schedule my suspension upgrade/install. I want to make sure I am not missing any affordable suspension pieces(less than $200) that I can add to the list to save on labor. The car has 51K mileage.

Swift Spec-R Springs
Koni yellows
Dinan rear shock mounts
e36 bump stops

Will I save money if I throw in the m3 rear subframe bushings install?(not mechanically inclined)
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 03:22 PM   #2
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonerstrike View Post
I am about to schedule my suspension upgrade/install. I want to make sure I am not missing any affordable suspension pieces(less than $200) that I can add to the list to save on labor. The car has 51K mileage.

Swift Spec-R Springs
Koni yellows
Dinan rear shock mounts
e36 bump stops

Will I save money if I throw in the m3 rear subframe bushings install?(not mechanically inclined)
I'd add the M3 front sway bar. It's a little over $200. Definitely worth it

Also adjustable sway bar end links for the front. They can be had for $100-150
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 06:39 PM   #3
klick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i M Sport 6MT

Quote:

Swift Spec-R Springs
Koni yellows
Dinan rear shock mounts
e36 bump stops

The M3 rear subframe bushings are not the only option available for rear subframe bushings. The Whiteline (Prothane) or AKG (Polyurethane) bushings are A LOT easier to install and take much less time due to their 2-piece design and are much stiffer due to the materials used (M3 are rubber). They are also cheaper (especially the Whitelines) to buy than the M3 bits. Just something to consider, since many people seem to not consider the alternatives to the M3 parts.
E82 128i M-Sport 6MT - Black Metallic Sapphire - MFactory Helical LSD, Koni Yellow Sport Dampers, Swift Spec-R Springs, E90 M3 Front Sway Bar, M3 Front Control Arm Set, Whiteline Rear Subframe Bushings, Stoptech Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, Active Autowerke N52 Tune, aFe Magnum FORCE Stage-2 CAI, Active Autowerke Headers, Custom Muffler Delete, BMW Performance SSK, ZHP Shift Knob, eBay Clutch Stop
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 06:55 PM   #4
lakefront
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 Macan GTS

Which ever type of rear sub frame bushings you decide to use, those will make the biggest difference to your car's handling. Top priority to most people. If you are ever gonna get camber plates, get them installed when you do the front struts.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 07:46 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:

No, there is no overlapping labor. BUT if you do go ahead with RSB I would also replace the rubber brake lines with DOT rated SS brake lines. Your also gonna need to bleed the brakes - so you will need some brake fluid.

Quote:

Swift Spec-R Springs
Koni yellows
Dinan rear shock mounts
e36 bump stops
No sure about the e36 bump stops. ? Never seen them referenced before.

The rest of your List looks good.

Good Luck,
Dackel
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 09:01 PM   #6
135TX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 135i

Quote:

Swift Spec-R Springs
Koni yellows
Dinan rear shock mounts
e36 bump stops

Their most definitely is labor overlap. My shop charged me nothing to install the rear shocks and springs since they were dropping the subframe. Only charged to install the front set and subframe bushings. This definitely affected my decision.
You'll never regret pursuing what you really want....ever. You will, however, regret NOT doing things you wanted to do.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 08:49 AM   #7
goonerstrike
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
I'd add the M3 front sway bar. It's a little over $200. Definitely worth it

Also adjustable sway bar end links for the front. They can be had for $100-150
Hopefully I will be able to squeeze this into the budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klick View Post
The M3 rear subframe bushings are not the only option available for rear subframe bushings. The Whiteline (Prothane) or AKG (Polyurethane) bushings are A LOT easier to install and take much less time due to their 2-piece design and are much stiffer due to the materials used (M3 are rubber). They are also cheaper (especially the Whitelines) to buy than the M3 bits. Just something to consider, since many people seem to not consider the alternatives to the M3 parts.
I will definitely consider this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
No, there is no overlapping labor. BUT if you do go ahead with RSB I would also replace the rubber brake lines with DOT rated SS brake lines. Your also gonna need to bleed the brakes - so you will need some brake fluid.

No sure about the e36 bump stops. ? Never seen them referenced before.

The rest of your List looks good.

Good Luck,
Dackel
I was told that the shorter e36 bump stops will allow more shock travel with lowering/performance springs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135TX View Post
Their most definitely is labor overlap. My shop charged me nothing to install the rear shocks and springs since they were dropping the subframe. Only charged to install the front set and subframe bushings. This definitely affected my decision.
Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 06:08 PM   #8
Wannagodiving
Registered
Rep
Drives: vroom

I have a question, may be stupid. Why does it seem everyone on this forum pays people to do all the work on their cars on here? I'm really not meaning to insult. It's just many of these things are really quite easy, and I wouldn't trust most of those people to work on my car.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 08:00 PM   #9
goonerstrike
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannagodiving View Post
I have a question, may be stupid. Why does it seem everyone on this forum pays people to do all the work on their cars on here? I'm really not meaning to insult. It's just many of these things are really quite easy, and I wouldn't trust most of those people to work on my car.
It's pretty simple, I have never worked on a cars suspension before and I have no automotive tools. I also own a townhouse without a garage to store potential jacks, tools etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 09:24 PM   #10
E82MSport
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' Crimson 135i

Quote:
Not a stupid question. As goonerstrike pointed out, not everyone here on this forum has access to tools and a place to work on their vehicles. This doesn't mean they're not competent to work on their own vehicles, or to be able to figure out how, just not the means.

For most people the cost of tools alone is beyond the budget plus the cost of parts and labor. If I had to add up my tools I'm probably into $10k but I've accumulated that over several years. I've probably got over $1k into jacks and jack stands alone.

I see nothing wrong with people getting work done on their cars. For many it's a way to get what they want done is a short period of time and if something goes wrong they have recourse. And.. there are many really good shops out there that do great work.
Ohlins Road & Track Coilovers / Apex ARC 8's 245/255-35 MPSS / Wagner Downpipes / Wagner EVOII Intercooler / ER Charge Pipe / Forge DV / PowerFlex RSFB / PowerFlex Differential Bushings / MFactory 3.46 Torsion LSD / MHD Flasher
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 01:00 AM   #11
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

Working on suspension using jack stands can be potentially dangerous if you are learning about it and don't have anyone experienced to guide you. Also there is a safety risk if some component is damaged, or not correctly assembled. If you can afford to own a BMW and don't particularly enjoy working on cars, it makes sense to get a professional mechanic to do the work.

As for the work being done by the OP, I suggest to go through the message boards and read about rear subframe bushing upgrades. There are products from supplies such as powerflex and whiteline that are probably worth using, especially if you want to save a few $$ over the genuine M3 parts. Unfortunately it will add quite a lot of cost to the work being done, but at least its better than having them installed as a separate job.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 04:11 AM   #12
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

+1 for the firm rear subframe bushings.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 08:01 AM   #13
lowbudgethero
Captain
Rep
Drives: '98 Z3M (gone), '09 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Some of the suspension and exhaust hasn't been too bad though on these cars.

Not everyone has the time, tools, facilities, or expertise mostly. Sure I could have done my own clutch, but then I'd need much higher jack stands, more specialty tools, and probably 2-3 days free to do it. Plus, if for some reason I can't finish the job in the allotted time, now I have a even bigger problem. Same with my differential. My independent mechanic is awesome, and I have him do pretty much everything that I can't handle on my own or don't have the time for. Plus he tends to get everything done in a short amount of time.

I usually always look up how to do something at least, and then decide if I can or can't do something.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 09:33 AM   #14
houtan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 135TX View Post
The only way a shop would install your rear suspension at no additional charge is if their install method included a lot of unnecessary additional work and labor hours to install your RSFB. Even then, they would still have to remove your trunk liner which is definitely not required to do the RSFB.

Like Dackel said, there is extremely minimal overlap between the RSFB install and rear spring and shock install. And that overlap mainly consists of unbolting the nut for the rear shocks, which doesn't really count to begin with. You do not need to remove or loosen any of the rear suspension parts to install the RSFB, except for the bolt underneath the rear shocks.

So I would say getting your rear suspension installed for free because your are getting the RSFBs installed is not typical. I have personally installed both at home.

There are plenty of options for RSFBs, I went with the Whiteline bushings since reviews were positive and the install is much easier.

Good luck and let us know how things turn out.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 11:51 AM   #15
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
I don't want to think about any of this stuff, if it's installed correctly, etc. I just want it to work. And I don't trust many people to work on my car either, which is why I always take it to shops involved in racing. If they're building and tuning race cars for competition events, I'm sure they can do a suspension overhaul on my car
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 12:00 PM   #16
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

There's no right or wrong way to go about this. Those of us that enjoy wrenching DIY it. I've learned a ton working on my own cars through the years. I can only imagine if I had someone show me the ropes when I was younger, what I would be able to do now.

Can't fault those who just take it to a shop to get it installed, if you don't have the time or aren't interested, best to get it done professionally. There's no sort of misery like spending time on something you dislike.