E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Comfortable position for Heel/Toeing?

01-10-2006, 04:44 PM   #1
Paddy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18' M2, AW

Comfortable position for Heel/Toeing?

Hi All,
I'm trying to learn heel-toeing rev-matching in the new 330i, however I'm having trouble finding a comfortable seating position. I have driven a SUV for the last 10 years and I like to be in an erect (don't get any ideas!!) position when I drive.
I find that when I adjust the drivers seat in the 330i to a position I feel most comfortable...
a) Knee is still bent a little when clutch pressed in all the way.
b) backrest is almost vertical
c) seat is far enough forward so I can comfortably hold steering at 9/3 or drive with left hand holding top of wheel.

The problem is that when I try and heel/toe, my right foot
1. Bumps against bottom of steering wheel, because I have to move it over left a bit, I have to move it over because normally I can move fron to foot from gas to brake without moving heel off floor, however if I try and push brake and put heel on gas without moving foot over, my heel just hits the side of the firewall and won't even touch the gas. (Big feet, probably the cause of this)
2. Feels like I'm twisting my whole leg to get the ball of the foot on the brake and the heel on the gas.

I think if I lowered/pushed back the seat that the leg action might get easier, but then I'd be in a uncomfortable seating position.

Any tips from you experienced drivers out there....

BTW: I'm so used in my other vehicles to knowing when to shift based on the sound of the engine, the E90 is so damn quiet, this is also causing me a problem. I guess I gotta rely more on the tach?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2006, 05:24 PM   #2
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
I really can't help much regarding the seating position, but as far as your right foot position, you don't have to use the *ball* of your right foot for the gas, or your *toe* for the brake. Place your foot between the gas and the brake so that half of your foot is touching both pedals.

Then practice rocking your foot over to the right side as you apple the brakes.

My first time I was having difficulty using the ball of my foot because that's the way I had to do it in my Honda Prelude. The BMW's pedals are placed right so there is no need to try and bend your right foot in crazy angles.

EDIT: As for hearing the engine to shift, instead of listening, go by *feel*.

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2006, 05:40 PM   #3
BMW0
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I found heel to toe difficult in the E90 as well, but I know practice makes perfect!

"Freude am Fahren" = "Joy to Drive"
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2006, 06:28 PM   #4
Paddy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRC
I really can't help much regarding the seating position, but as far as your right foot position, you don't have to use the *ball* of your right foot for the gas, or your *toe* for the brake. Place your foot between the gas and the brake so that half of your foot is touching both pedals.

Then practice rocking your foot over to the right side as you apple the brakes.

My first time I was having difficulty using the ball of my foot because that's the way I had to do it in my Honda Prelude. The BMW's pedals are placed right so there is no need to try and bend your right foot in crazy angles.

EDIT: As for hearing the engine to shift, instead of listening, go by *feel*.

Danny
Thanks for the Tip, I'll try the foot rocking on the drive home.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2006, 06:53 PM   #5
ben1364
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330iA

I recommend a good high performance driving school. The BMW CCA as well as one of several commercial schools should be able to help hone your skills. You might wish to look in the classified section of AutoWeek magazine and check with your local CCA chapter.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2006, 08:05 PM   #6
visor
BMW, can I have some LSD please?
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i xDrive

Some websites for your reference:

Driving position:http://www.turnfast.com/tech_driving..._seating.shtml

Heel-toe: (but don't use heel-toe, instead use the left half of your right foot for the brakes and the right half for the gas blipping)
http://www.turnfast.com/tech_driving..._heeltoe.shtml
2017 340i xDrive | Estoril | Black | Al | 8AT | M Package
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2006, 11:13 PM   #7
paullo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: ThreeThreeFive

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW0
I found heel to toe difficult in the E90 as well, but I know practice makes perfect!
Tell me about it! A friend of mine insisted I practice before the next auto-x / track day and I've been killing myself (my right foot mostly) trying to sort it out... patience & more practice i guess
      01-10-2006, 11:46 PM   #8
Paddy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
Thanks for the Tip, I'll try the foot rocking on the drive home.
Tried it, definitely this is the way for me to go. Traffic was a bit heavy so I couldn't really get a good run at it, but looks promising.
Practice practice....

Thanks for the tips/advice everyone.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2006, 12:52 AM   #9
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
Tried it, definitely this is the way for me to go. Traffic was a bit heavy so I couldn't really get a good run at it, but looks promising.
Practice practice....

Thanks for the tips/advice everyone.
Glad it worked for you! You'll get really good and smooth as you put some mikes behind you.

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0