BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-12-2015, 08:19 AM   #1
sistom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 135i M-Sport Coupé

Garage List
BRAKE and DTC warning lights (please help?)

Video of error lights:

On a highway trip this weekend, about an hour into the trip, I had some dash lights come on. I haven't noticed any changes in performance or anything else for that matter.

I pulled the codes from my JB4 and got 2AAF (which I think I've had for quite some time now and is unrelated).

I'm of course out of warranty and I am supposed to be selling the car in 3 days, on Saturday. I need to fix these issues before I'm able to sell the car.

Anyone have any experiences with these issues?

Thanks a ton.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 08:39 AM   #2
FactorX81
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i, 2014 Ford Escape Ti

Have you done any suspension/bushing upgrades recently? Hit any bad potholes etc? Its probably suspension related. I think those errors typically mean the DSC has disabled itself. You might want to get the alignment checked. The steering angle sensor also causes this but usually it just has to be reset.

I had something similar happen after installing subframe bushings. The car drove fine and got no errors then two weeks later I got lights. I wound up dropping the subframe to inspect everything then rebolted it up and never got the errors again.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 08:47 AM   #3
alpho
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

I've had these pop up on mine along with a hill start when I messed around with my suspension/alignment.

Try resetting the steering wheel angle sensor..

Turn the car on
steering wheel full lock left
steering wheel full lock right
center steering wheel
drive straight
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 09:01 AM   #4
sistom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 135i M-Sport Coupé

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpho
I've had these pop up on mine along with a hill start when I messed around with my suspension/alignment.

Try resetting the steering wheel angle sensor..

Turn the car on
steering wheel full lock left
steering wheel full lock right
center steering wheel
drive straight
I'm heading to the auto shop now to give this a shot.

No, I haven't messed with the suspension at all. I did reinstall the OEM wheels a couple of weeks ago and I did hit a pretty bad pot hole a few days before the lights started.

One thing I didn't mention in my original post is that my car started pulling real hard to the right on this trip as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 09:43 AM   #5
alpho
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sistom View Post
I'm heading to the auto shop now to give this a shot.

No, I haven't messed with the suspension at all. I did reinstall the OEM wheels a couple of weeks ago and I did hit a pretty bad pot hole a few days before the lights started.

One thing I didn't mention in my original post is that my car started pulling real hard to the right on this trip as well.
That definitely sounds like an alignment issue. Get your car aligned, and then reset it.
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2015, 04:13 AM   #6
Spectral
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: MY10 135i SBM

Check you haven't knocked out or damaged the abs sensors as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2015, 04:40 AM   #7
jcoop269
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 e82 n52

Garage List
Any news on what fixed this??? Been dealing with it for a little over a year now and they now remain on after only being occasional before. My car is slightly out of alignment but I'm pretty sure it wasn't when they first started coming on and I've done the reset a million times without success. Another poster is having the issues and got a reply from someone stating it cost him over $1000 to fix the angle sensor.....I personally think he got taken and am curious if an alignment will resolve the issue as I am due for one and tires.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 02:58 AM   #8
dsocold
Captain
American Samoa
Rep
Drives: f06 640i GC. E82 N54 135i

happend to me and was fixed by dinply replacing the wheel speed sensor 150 dollar or so plugs in sorta like the brake pad sensor
Appreciate 0