BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read




 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-20-2017, 01:07 AM   #67
hot-j
First Lieutenant
75
Rep
326
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Boston MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zayzay View Post
Now take it to a dynojet dyno
I know i know.... life keeps getting in the way.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 04:06 AM   #68
Skers 05
Lieutenant
Skers 05's Avatar
United_States
33
Rep
410
Posts

Drives: 2008 1M Clone, 2011 328i Sedan
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ann Arbor, MI

iTrader: (10)

Can you please provide details on the front strut brace and where you purchased it from. Thank you!
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2017, 07:23 AM   #69
hot-j
First Lieutenant
75
Rep
326
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Boston MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skers 05 View Post
Can you please provide details on the front strut brace and where you purchased it from. Thank you!
The strut brace is from Mason Engineering but was modified by "me" to have the center removable. It should all be in earlier posts....
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 09:14 PM   #70
digwm1
Private First Class
64
Rep
198
Posts

Drives: BMW 1M
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

@hot-j, im thinking of getting dual oil coolers, i was wondering how these affected oil warm-up times, as i understand it, the oil coolers don't kick in until the thermostat tells the system to yes? i'm worried with all the short driving times/distances i have that the oil would never get up to temp with dual oil coolers, also how was the fit?

Last edited by digwm1; 05-20-2017 at 10:03 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2017, 10:04 AM   #71
T1M
Captain
Australia
174
Rep
668
Posts

Drives: AW MY12 1M
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Melbourne, Australia

iTrader: (0)

I really like your modifications list!

How do you find the stock M rear diff? I really dislike it, to the point I query keeping the car much longer/spending money on it at all. I think the chassis and engine are capable, and a good honest 6 speed manual gives a pure driving experience, but the unpredictable locking/unlocking of the visco-lok centre in the diff is truly horrible. I'm torn between going balls deep on it and installing a plated LSD, and doing coilovers etc, but then it's a pricey/rare car and modifying it heavily ruins any collectibility it may have had... props to you for just getting it done, I'm far less decisive
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2017, 03:19 PM   #72
hot-j
First Lieutenant
75
Rep
326
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Boston MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by digwm1 View Post
@hot-j, im thinking of getting dual oil coolers, i was wondering how these affected oil warm-up times, as i understand it, the oil coolers don't kick in until the thermostat tells the system to yes? i'm worried with all the short driving times/distances i have that the oil would never get up to temp with dual oil coolers, also how was the fit?
Hasn't changed a bit as the stock thermostat is still in place. The temp now just hoveres around its opening temp instead of exceeding it.
Appreciate 1
digwm163.50

      05-21-2017, 03:21 PM   #73
hot-j
First Lieutenant
75
Rep
326
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Boston MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1M View Post
I really like your modifications list!

How do you find the stock M rear diff? I really dislike it, to the point I query keeping the car much longer/spending money on it at all. I think the chassis and engine are capable, and a good honest 6 speed manual gives a pure driving experience, but the unpredictable locking/unlocking of the visco-lok centre in the diff is truly horrible. I'm torn between going balls deep on it and installing a plated LSD, and doing coilovers etc, but then it's a pricey/rare car and modifying it heavily ruins any collectibility it may have had... props to you for just getting it done, I'm far less decisive
I will be doing a multi clutch type lsd. This stock lsd is very frustrating to say the least. Thats next on the list along with a BBK.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 10:03 AM   #74
redux
WTF does Stage 1 mean?
redux's Avatar
269
Rep
311
Posts

Drives: Bwm and such
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Singapore, Los Angeles, and such

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 1M  [4.60]
I've been eye balling a Titan Traction Master for awhile. The street manners of the carbon disks were spectacular in my friend's e46; no noise or other bad habits that I've experienced with the no carbon variants. I if could find the time to that and somehow shoehorn a VAC ultimate clutch on my car...... I think it'd be just about perfect
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 01:46 PM   #75
hot-j
First Lieutenant
75
Rep
326
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Boston MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redux View Post
I've been eye balling a Titan Traction Master for awhile. The street manners of the carbon disks were spectacular in my friend's e46; no noise or other bad habits that I've experienced with the no carbon variants. I if could find the time to that and somehow shoehorn a VAC ultimate clutch on my car...... I think it'd be just about perfect
Ive contacted carbonetic about a clutch on our cars but had no luck. We NEED something streetable that will hold the tq. The clutch is my main flaw with the car
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 02:39 PM   #76
redux
WTF does Stage 1 mean?
redux's Avatar
269
Rep
311
Posts

Drives: Bwm and such
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Singapore, Los Angeles, and such

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 1M  [4.60]
The clutch is something that I'll wanted to replace since I've owned the car. However, there aren't any decent options, thus I've stayed stock. My hope is that something suitable comes along for the M3/M4, same transmission and I also believe the flywheel bolt patterns are similar. That should provide a few better options for those of us that want performance without the compromise of a motorsport clutch. I'll drop Tilton a line and see if it would be possible to get a kit put together for the 1M.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 10:59 PM   #77
hot-j
First Lieutenant
75
Rep
326
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Boston MA

iTrader: (0)

Everything for the suspension is finally in. The rear is now PLANTED. Accelerating out of turns is the most impressive. I am still dialing down the shock settings trying to find the optimal balance but this endeavor was well worth it.












Last edited by hot-j; 06-08-2017 at 12:19 AM.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 11:05 PM   #78
hot-j
First Lieutenant
75
Rep
326
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Boston MA

iTrader: (0)

And current alignment settings.

Appreciate 1
      06-09-2017, 11:40 AM   #79
hot-j
First Lieutenant
75
Rep
326
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Boston MA

iTrader: (0)

One more of the Geometrical correction on the ground.

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 09:31 PM   #80
CarJunkie
Major
United_States
324
Rep
1,271
Posts

Drives: 1-series M, X5 xDrive40e
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tri-Cities, Washington

iTrader: (1)

Garage List


Wow, just wow.
__________________
Power mods: K&N panel filter, ER chargepipe, AD engineering FMIC, Mad Dad midpipe, BMS OCC, MHD, F10 550i clutch
Chassis mods: Ohlins Road and Track, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 convertible front sway bar
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 12:13 AM   #81
hot-j
First Lieutenant
75
Rep
326
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Boston MA

iTrader: (0)

Diffsonline 3.45 Gearing 3 clutch 35/60 ramped LSD with REM Ring and Pinion Polish, and Differential Bearing Polish. Stay tuned for a comprehensive review.




Last edited by hot-j; 08-07-2017 at 12:24 AM.
Appreciate 3
Win34.00
redux268.50
buddalun536.50

      08-06-2017, 08:11 AM   #82
gmx
Private First Class
22
Rep
123
Posts

Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Sydney, AU

iTrader: (0)

oh yes, looking forward to your review of that gearset and how far beyond it goes the M diff/streetability.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 06:16 PM   #83
hot-j
First Lieutenant
75
Rep
326
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Boston MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmx View Post
oh yes, looking forward to your review of that gearset and how far beyond it goes the M diff/streetability.
The car is still being finished but I did take it on one test drive in the rain. Traction was usually a lost cause in any wet weather or in any weather under 70 degrees. This particular test drive was a 60-plus degree day in the wet and I got 100% hookup Full Throttle second gear three times in a row. From the little I've seen so far it's freaking magical.

*EDIT* 550i clutch with new 1M DMFW , using Redline DCTF fluid is also in, and the results are looking great! Will report back on that too!

Last edited by hot-j; 08-08-2017 at 06:21 PM.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 02:25 AM   #84
redux
WTF does Stage 1 mean?
redux's Avatar
269
Rep
311
Posts

Drives: Bwm and such
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Singapore, Los Angeles, and such

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 1M  [4.60]
How long was the lead time to from order placement to delivery? I've got couple of months before I'm back in the states. So..... blah, blah, blah, why not?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 12:13 PM   #85
hot-j
First Lieutenant
75
Rep
326
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Boston MA

iTrader: (0)

I am local literally the next town over plus I have many mutual friends with Dan, so it was very quick. A week or so? I know he is SWAMPED at the moment, AND about to go on his Honeymoon, so if you guys do place an order, be patient with him.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 09:16 PM   #86
gmx
Private First Class
22
Rep
123
Posts

Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Sydney, AU

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot-j View Post
The car is still being finished but I did take it on one test drive in the rain. Traction was usually a lost cause in any wet weather or in any weather under 70 degrees. This particular test drive was a 60-plus degree day in the wet and I got 100% hookup Full Throttle second gear three times in a row. From the little I've seen so far it's freaking magical.

*EDIT* 550i clutch with new 1M DMFW , using Redline DCTF fluid is also in, and the results are looking great! Will report back on that too!
With a shorter gear ratio too (tq multiplication), that's even more impressive feedback. I've had a hunch that 3.46s would be perfect and add to the visceral feel in mid-higher gears.

It has my attention!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 01:49 AM   #87
buddalun
Lieutenant Colonel
buddalun's Avatar
United_States
537
Rep
1,759
Posts

Drives: '12 ZCP M3 & 911
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: USA

iTrader: (7)

Awesome work!

Looking forward to diff review.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 11:59 PM   #88
hot-j
First Lieutenant
75
Rep
326
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Boston MA

iTrader: (0)

Delete

Last edited by hot-j; 09-02-2017 at 08:37 AM.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:10 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST