E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Complete loss of power

05-02-2006, 06:42 AM   #1
zola&osgood
Rep
Drives: 320d SE

Complete loss of power

Hi lads,
Maybe you lot can help! I have a 320d SE Automatic.
On Saturday, i was late for work and was therefore driving quicker than usual, pushing it quite hard but nothing serious. I shifted across to DS to overtake a truck, hit the kickdown on the accelarator and NOTHING!!!!
I had absolutely no power for about 30 secs, it was just cruising at about 55mph and simply would not accelerate! It was like the car/computer had taken over and was refusing to do what i asked. I tried shifting back to D then DS again - still no power!!! :mad:
It was even worse becos i had a ten year old Nissan Micra up my arse by now and i simply cud not overtake the truck!!???!!
After a short while, it came back to life and i cud drive it as normal. Anyone know what happened or experienced this themselves?? What should i do?
      05-02-2006, 07:13 AM   #2
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Sounds like the turbo wouldnt work properly

Best have you dealer hook it up and see if there are any errors listed
      05-02-2006, 07:17 AM   #3
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Wow! Not a good position to be in. Thankfully all is ok.
Yeah, I agree with Fleet and take it to your dealer for analysis.
I would have thought that the engine on its own would have been able to do something without the turbo boost.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2006, 07:21 AM   #4
James Bond
Sheer Driving & Biking Pleasure
Germany
Rep
Drives: 318ti compact E36

Garage List
@zola&osgood: As I know, thereīs given sometimes trubles
with the DPF (particle-filter) .
This have to be burn free from time to time, at this moment the
software or control-systems put the power low and you havenīt got
so much passge, if You push the pedal down. It takes only a pair of
seconds, but this will be enough for a short time with lower engine
power.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2006, 07:46 AM   #5
JOYRIIDE1113
Pirate
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailing Shark

That has happened to me before but with a mini cooper. There would be times where there would be no throttle response. Never questioned it as it always went back to normal, but it did happen 3-4 times.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2006, 08:31 AM   #6
James Bond
Sheer Driving & Biking Pleasure
Germany
Rep
Drives: 318ti compact E36

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOYRIIDE1113
That has happened to me before but with a mini cooper. There would be times where there would be no throttle response. Never questioned it as it always went back to normal, but it did happen 3-4 times.
In your case it could also be a software-problem which will be away with a new version of it.
Sometimes the part air-flow meter works wrong or not correct and give incorrect values further to the board-computer, which steer all engine-functions.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2006, 04:20 PM   #7
dtelle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320d Touring still in making..

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond
In your case it could also be a software-problem which will be away with a new version of it.
Sometimes the part air-flow meter works wrong or not correct and give incorrect values further to the board-computer, which steer all engine-functions.
Exact and in some case the problem occurs only once....

When i was working at BMW engineering center (development of electronic device controling the automatic gearbox, the so called "Fahrstrategy") there were sometime a call of the main BMW dealer at Munich(located 400 m away from the FIZ) with a customer which had similar problem. there were no diagnostic error stored.

I mean somes guys in the department know exactly that the software is not "bugfree"...

In any case i would go to my dealer and ask for a diagnostic.
Of course a "hardware" problem is still possible (flow meter or boost pressure signal lost or any collision of signal transmitted trough the CAN bus)