BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-05-2007, 04:01 PM   #23
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives:
Join Date: Jan 2006

Posts: 289
iTrader: (0)

I actually really like that color. Darker greys do a good job of showing the lines IMO.

And the wait continues.....
LonghornTX is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2007, 04:03 PM   #24
aural iNK
Registered
 
Drives:
Join Date: Jun 2007

Posts: 4
iTrader: (0)

And the front, for Brookside...
Attached Images
 
aural iNK is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2007, 04:42 PM   #25
Devon K
Lieutenant
 
Devon K's Avatar
 
Drives: TBD
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Toronto

Posts: 528
iTrader: (0)

Thanks 2addicts for the email alert on these photos!

I doubt that is a "baseline" set of wheels/tires - compare these to the photo of the hatch, you'll see these tires are very low profile - probably 40's, and at least 18 inch.

I wish I could get more enthused about the look of this coupe. I looks way too much like a sedan missing 2 of its doors. Compare to the sleek lines of the 3 series coupe. And just take a look at the forum's own beautifully sculpted, super-sexy rendition at the top of every forum page - can anyone honestly say the real thing is even in the same league? What a disapointment. It's got the same high window sills and decks as a Mazda 3 sedan, the seating height is too high for a coupe, and the sharp crease running across the slab-sides (probably the ugliest design element here), together with the misproportioned-to-the-rest-of-the-car top-heavy greenhouse, just makes the thing look far too boxy, especially at the rear.

Here's hoping it looks much better in the flesh but I very much doubt it. A preliminary thumbs-down.
Devon K is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2007, 05:01 PM   #26
Brookside
Major
 
Brookside's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 135i Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: KCMO

Posts: 1,104
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aural iNK View Post
And the front, for Brookside...
That's great for "quick and dirty."

:headbang:
Brookside is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2007, 05:25 PM   #27
BForbes
Moderator
 
BForbes's Avatar
 
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Orlando, FL

Posts: 4,243
iTrader: (0)

Terrible color. End of story
__________________
- 04 Honda S2000(gone)
BForbes is offline   Bahamas
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2007, 05:37 PM   #28
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives:
Join Date: Jan 2006

Posts: 289
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
Terrible color. End of story
I guess everyone is entitled to an opinion .
LonghornTX is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2007, 05:40 PM   #29
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives:
Join Date: Jan 2006

Posts: 289
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon K View Post
Thanks 2addicts for the email alert on these photos!

I doubt that is a "baseline" set of wheels/tires - compare these to the photo of the hatch, you'll see these tires are very low profile - probably 40's, and at least 18 inch.

I wish I could get more enthused about the look of this coupe. I looks way too much like a sedan missing 2 of its doors. Compare to the sleek lines of the 3 series coupe. And just take a look at the forum's own beautifully sculpted, super-sexy rendition at the top of every forum page - can anyone honestly say the real thing is even in the same league? What a disapointment. It's got the same high window sills and decks as a Mazda 3 sedan, the seating height is too high for a coupe, and the sharp crease running across the slab-sides (probably the ugliest design element here), together with the misproportioned-to-the-rest-of-the-car top-heavy greenhouse, just makes the thing look far too boxy, especially at the rear.

Here's hoping it looks much better in the flesh but I very much doubt it. A preliminary thumbs-down.
The thing is, the cars this car intends to emulate (the E30 2 door and 2002), are much more sedans that true coupes, thus the proportions are there for a reason. Remember, sedans can come in 2 door formats.
LonghornTX is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2007, 05:42 PM   #30
ZweierCoupe
Private
 
Drives:
Join Date: Feb 2007

Posts: 82
iTrader: (0)

The styling is an improvement over hatch, but not a knockout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon K View Post

I wish I could get more enthused about the look of this coupe. I looks way too much like a sedan missing 2 of its doors. Compare to the sleek lines of the 3 series coupe. And just take a look at the forum's own beautifully sculpted, super-sexy rendition at the top of every forum page - can anyone honestly say the real thing is even in the same league? What a disapointment. It's got the same high window sills and decks as a Mazda 3 sedan, the seating height is too high for a coupe, and the sharp crease running across the slab-sides (probably the ugliest design element here), together with the misproportioned-to-the-rest-of-the-car top-heavy greenhouse, just makes the thing look far too boxy, especially at the rear.
I'm not that enthusiastic about the styling either and think it doesn't look as good as the design shown at the top of this web page or the most recent versions shown in AutoBild. Still, it's pretty hard to do worse than than the hatchback appearance, so in this regard the coupé is a big improvement. However, the front bumper and air intake could really look more aggresive or sporty. The horizontal plates below the fog lights do seem somewhat awkward. If the car were just two inches wider at the side (with the roof width an inch less wide, for a stronger inward slope of the side windows) and nearly two inches less high (compensated by lower seating position in conjunction and thinner seats) the proportions would likely appear more sporty, and the handling would be improved, due to wider tires and improved stance. I'm sure there are some BMW employees already thinking about the next face-lift for this model. Obviously, what's most important now is the weight, performance, and handling characteristics, say, with 18" wheels, 272 horsepower 3.0 liter engine, six speed manual transmission, and shock absorbers in sport mode -- and of course the final price. And even if it is better than an Audi A3 (which isn't a fair comparison to begin with), so what? The 2-series is supposed to be in its own league.
ZweierCoupe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2007, 06:02 PM   #31
BForbes
Moderator
 
BForbes's Avatar
 
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Orlando, FL

Posts: 4,243
iTrader: (0)

Whats the story with the single exhaust tip? I dont know what I think about that. I'm hoping all my worries are set to rest soon.
__________________
- 04 Honda S2000(gone)
BForbes is offline   Bahamas
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2007, 06:27 PM   #32
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives:
Join Date: Jan 2006

Posts: 289
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZweierCoupe View Post
I'm not that enthusiastic about the styling either and think it doesn't look as good as the design shown at the top of this web page or the most recent versions shown in AutoBild. Still, it's pretty hard to do worse than than the hatchback appearance, so in this regard the coupé is a big improvement. However, the front bumper and air intake could really look more aggresive or sporty. The horizontal plates below the fog lights do seem somewhat awkward. If the car were just two inches wider at the side (with the roof width an inch less wide, for a stronger inward slope of the side windows) and nearly two inches less high (compensated by lower seating position in conjunction and thinner seats) the proportions would likely appear more sporty, and the handling would be improved, due to wider tires and improved stance. I'm sure there are some BMW employees already thinking about the next face-lift for this model. Obviously, what's most important now is the weight, performance, and handling characteristics, say, with 18" wheels, 272 horsepower 3.0 liter engine, six speed manual transmission, and shock absorbers in sport mode -- and of course the final price. And even if it is better than an Audi A3 (which isn't a fair comparison to begin with), so what? The 2-series is supposed to be in its own league.
I am hoping the mention of aluminum suspension components (as mentioned by SCOTT) means that we might see a 3050-3100lb car with the N52 (or N53) and manual gearbox. That would be good enough for me.
LonghornTX is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2007, 06:42 PM   #33
brett8210
Enlisted Member
 
Drives:
Join Date: May 2007

Posts: 44
iTrader: (0)

I prefer the look of a small 2 door sedan than the pure bathtub stance of a "true" coupe.

If you want that, then spend the extra money and get a Cayman. The purpose of this car is to have a large green house. That is the heritage of BMW. Check out the 2002, 320i, 325i (All of which were 2 doors). The four door sedan did not come along until 1985.

So far the spy shots I have seen are slavish copies of the drawings on AutoBild. So I don't agree with the assessment that they aren't the same. As for the car at the top of the page, that is supposed to be an M1 (or thereabouts) and this car can easily be changed to take on a more aggressive stance. See what they did with the M3 compared to the E46 coupe.

A lot of us don't want boy racer wantaby Celicas with seating positions on the floor and knees at your ears.
brett8210 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2007, 06:55 PM   #34
brett8210
Enlisted Member
 
Drives:
Join Date: May 2007

Posts: 44
iTrader: (0)

"Whats the story with the single exhaust tip?"

This is probably a 4 Cylinder European model. Notice there is no Chrome lining the window frame, no sunroof, weak wheels. Things that would be indicative of a 6 cylinder BMW of the last couple of years. The blue versions we saw earlier all have chrome around the windows. The AutoBild drawings have duel exhausts.

Please don't worry. We just have to wait and all your dreams will come true. By the way, I am considering dragging my wife to Europe to pick mine up as well.
brett8210 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2007, 07:36 PM   #35
bmwfreak
Second Lieutenant
 
bmwfreak's Avatar
 
Drives:
Join Date: Dec 2005

Posts: 215
iTrader: (0)

Taking off from Aural Ink's pshop, heres some more pieces added, its been a very long time since i've done a pshop so its a bit rough, hopefully someone does a better job, but atleast it gives the idea for the potential of the car
Attached Images
 
__________________
the roundel
bmwfreak is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2007, 07:45 PM   #36
brett8210
Enlisted Member
 
Drives:
Join Date: May 2007

Posts: 44
iTrader: (0)

Further notice that the rear bumper in this car does not have the "cutout" beneath the top of the bumper. Those cut outs were in the Blue cars, the Red car in Mohave, and the AutoBild drawings. This leads me to believe that this gray car was a European 4 that is not intended for these shores.
brett8210 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2007, 08:15 PM   #37
BForbes
Moderator
 
BForbes's Avatar
 
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Orlando, FL

Posts: 4,243
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwfreak View Post
Taking off from Aural Ink's pshop, heres some more pieces added, its been a very long time since i've done a pshop so its a bit rough, hopefully someone does a better job, but atleast it gives the idea for the potential of the car
Freaking Gorgeous!!! Now thats more my speed
__________________
- 04 Honda S2000(gone)
BForbes is offline   Bahamas
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2007, 08:27 PM   #38
brett8210
Enlisted Member
 
Drives:
Join Date: May 2007

Posts: 44
iTrader: (0)

"Taking off from Aural Ink's pshop, heres some more pieces added, its been a very long time since i've done a pshop so its a bit rough, hopefully someone does a better job, but atleast it gives the idea for the potential of the car"

See this demonstrates some of the simple steps that COULD be done on the M1 that will make it more aggressive. Good job, showing what a little imagination will do.

However, just my taste I prefer the more reserved "base" model in the AutoBild pics and the red car from Mohave.
brett8210 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2007, 10:06 PM   #39
Brookside
Major
 
Brookside's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 135i Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: KCMO

Posts: 1,104
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwfreak View Post
Taking off from Aural Ink's pshop, heres some more pieces added, its been a very long time since i've done a pshop so its a bit rough, hopefully someone does a better job, but atleast it gives the idea for the potential of the car
:eyebulge:
Great chop 'Freak.
Brookside is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2007, 10:19 PM   #40
larry lawless
excellence
 
Drives:
Join Date: Apr 2007

Posts: 188
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to larry lawless
speechless Freak
just freakin awesome can't wait for 135i with sport pack :headbang:
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
larry lawless is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2007, 10:37 PM   #41
SCA
Brigadier General
 
SCA's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: TN

Posts: 3,018
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Nice job Freak! I'd buy that!!! :thumbup:
SCA is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2007, 11:01 PM   #42
Devon K
Lieutenant
 
Devon K's Avatar
 
Drives: TBD
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Toronto

Posts: 528
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTX View Post
The thing is, the cars this car intends to emulate (the E30 2 door and 2002), are much more sedans that true coupes, thus the proportions are there for a reason. Remember, sedans can come in 2 door formats.
I don't think this is true - BMW has indicated that it is trying to emulate the sporty, fun-to-drive aspect of those earlier leaner models but it has never said it is trying to emulate the look of them. And if you are trying to appeal to the enthusiast driver, as BMW claims it is, why make something that looks like a stodgy grocery-getter?

There might be a business case for sacrificing a more sporty coupe profile if the sedan-type styling provided for true 4-passenger seating, but every review I have seen of the 1 series 3 and 5 door models makes it clear the back seats will have no more leg room than you get in a 911 - and a 911 is the farthest thing from stodgy you can get in a 2+2. (See the R32 vs 130i Topgear review on Youtube for video of the back seat (no) legroom.)
Devon K is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2007, 11:41 PM   #43
Devon K
Lieutenant
 
Devon K's Avatar
 
Drives: TBD
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Toronto

Posts: 528
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett8210 View Post
I prefer the look of a small 2 door sedan than the pure bathtub stance of a "true" coupe.
If you want that, then spend the extra money and get a Cayman.
I'd be happy to - just wire me the $40K difference, will you? BTW, looking at the height of those doors, you'll still be getting the bathtub effect in the 1 series.
Quote:
The purpose of this car is to have a large green house. That is the heritage of BMW. Check out the 2002, 320i, 325i (All of which were 2 doors). The four door sedan did not come along until 1985.
BMW never does retro, and I don't think they are trying to here - see my argument in my previous post for why the sedan look is wasted on this car. I do agree to some extent on the desireability of a large greenhouse though - I have test driven several sports coupes and sportscars lately and all but the Honda/Acura products have overly lowered greenhouses that cut out your view of nearly all of the sky - you feel you are looking out a bunker slit. I can't stand that, it would be a deal-breaker for me.
Quote:
As for the car at the top of the page, that is supposed to be an M1 (or thereabouts) and this car can easily be changed to take on a more aggressive stance. See what they did with the M3 compared to the E46 coupe.
Sorry but there is no way that they could make this 1 coupe look like the forum rendering without redoing the entire greenhouse and the side panels. Never going to happen.
Quote:
A lot of us don't want boy racer wantaby Celicas with seating positions on the floor and knees at your ears
Try driving a few coupes that are low-slung like the G35 or 911 - I have, and unless you're over 70, over 6'4", or seriously overweight, the ones I drove are never going to have you feeling like you are sitting on the floor with your knees at your ears. Cars in general are seating drivers higher and higher these days, and for a true driving enthusiast that is a bad thing - the higher you sit the less you feel the speed of driving and your connection to the road because of your distance from the asphalt. Driving a Turbo Cayenne at speed is never going to be as exilharating as doing so in a Boxster.
Devon K is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-06-2007, 12:38 AM   #44
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives:
Join Date: Jan 2006

Posts: 289
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon K View Post
I don't think this is true - BMW has indicated that it is trying to emulate the sporty, fun-to-drive aspect of those earlier leaner models but it has never said it is trying to emulate the look of them. And if you are trying to appeal to the enthusiast driver, as BMW claims it is, why make something that looks like a stodgy grocery-getter?

There might be a business case for sacrificing a more sporty coupe profile if the sedan-type styling provided for true 4-passenger seating, but every review I have seen of the 1 series 3 and 5 door models makes it clear the back seats will have no more leg room than you get in a 911 - and a 911 is the farthest thing from stodgy you can get in a 2+2. (See the R32 vs 130i Topgear review on Youtube for video of the back seat (no) legroom.)
Considering that they will shooting this car and comparing it with the E30 and 2002, I would say they are indeed trying to emulate the look of those cars. Plus, our two insiders (SCOTT and ENI) have more or less confirmed this. BTW, you think this car looks like a stodgy grocery getter :iono:? I would hate to hear what you think of a civic.....

The height of the roofline does not usually dictate legroom . Instead it affects headroom and visibility, but of which will be excellent in this car.
LonghornTX is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST