BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-11-2007, 10:44 PM   #1
hoefx
New Member
 
Drives:
Join Date: Jun 2007

Posts: 21
iTrader: (0)

Engine-Transmission Speculation Roundup

Reading through all the available information I am expecting the following options for NA:

125i = 218hp N52
130i = 265hp(272?) N52
123d = 204hp M47TU2D20


Possibly 135i (M?) 306hp N54

Standard 6sp manual w/ Auto option
No DCT

Any other speculation?
hoefx is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2007, 11:50 PM   #2
bum944
Enlisted Member
 
Drives:
Join Date: Nov 2006

Posts: 44
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoefx View Post
Reading through all the available information I am expecting the following options for NA:

125i = 218hp N52
130i = 265hp(272?) N52
123d = 204hp M47TU2D20

Possibly 135i (M?) 306hp N54

Standard 6sp manual w/ Auto option
No DCT

Any other speculation?
My dream car would be a 6-sp diesel coupe for myself and an auto diesel convertible for the wifey, but BMW doesn't make a clean enough diesel yet and unless gas prices stay at $3+, I doubt there will be enough demand.
bum944 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-12-2007, 01:55 PM   #3
BForbes
Moderator
 
BForbes's Avatar
 
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Orlando, FL

Posts: 4,242
iTrader: (0)

My speculations are as follows:

128i- 230hp
135i- 300hp
1er diesel at some point
__________________
- 04 Honda S2000(gone)
BForbes is offline   Bahamas
0
Reply With Quote
      06-12-2007, 02:02 PM   #4
ghotman906
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 328i
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Miami, FL

Posts: 33
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
My speculations are as follows:

128i- 230hp
135i- 300hp
1er diesel at some point
I agree with u....
ghotman906 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-12-2007, 02:16 PM   #5
123d
Member
 
Drives:
Join Date: May 2007

Posts: 182
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
My speculations are as follows:

128i- 230hp
135i- 300hp
1er diesel at some point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghotman906 View Post
I agree with u....
I agree too.... but I don't think the deisel will be much later (maybe with the convertable), or even right a launch. Then the 135i will be replaced with the M version and the 128i will be replaced with the 130i (making room for the 125i/123i (turbo 2.0l))
123d is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-12-2007, 03:39 PM   #6
spudw
Major
 
spudw's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 128i
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ottawa

Posts: 1,306
iTrader: (0)

What I think they will launch:
128i- 230hp
135i- 300hp

To be followed by:
128i Cabrio
135i Cabrio
123d- 204hp

What I would prefer to see:
123d- 204hp
128i- 230hp
130i- 260hp
M1- 340hp, normally aspirated
128i Cabrio
130i Cabrio

For me the sweet spot would be a 130i Coupé...
spudw is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      06-12-2007, 03:52 PM   #7
BForbes
Moderator
 
BForbes's Avatar
 
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Orlando, FL

Posts: 4,242
iTrader: (0)

Your preference is VERY understandable. But there needs to be more than a 30hp difference between the a 128i and 130i. ESPECIALLY when there would more than likely be a 5-6k difference between them. BMW has been forced to play the hp game. My dads $45,000 2004 325ci convertible only has a 192hp. I mean on paper it looks bad but its still one rockin car. Soo balanced and what not. 230hp should be a real hoot!
__________________
- 04 Honda S2000(gone)
BForbes is offline   Bahamas
0
Reply With Quote
      06-12-2007, 05:01 PM   #8
Propagator
Captain
 
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

Posts: 808
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudwest View Post
What I think they will launch:
128i- 230hp
135i- 300hp

To be followed by:
128i Cabrio
135i Cabrio
123d- 204hp
Yup, that would be my guess too.

I don't see how they will stop making the 135i when the M1 rolls in, unless the price of the 135i is jacked up be over $40K with mandatory M-sports package and what not. You just can't replace a $35K car with a $45K car regardless of HP ratings you know.
Propagator is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-12-2007, 05:28 PM   #9
hoefx
New Member
 
Drives:
Join Date: Jun 2007

Posts: 21
iTrader: (0)

Advevo just posted some new pics in the other forum. This is the second clear shot of the intercooler from the twin turbo. I guess now we just have to wait in see what its called!

I would have preferred a 260hp N52, I guess now I just need to figure out where im going to get the extra money!
hoefx is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-12-2007, 08:24 PM   #10
WolfsburgerMitFries
Lieutenant
 
WolfsburgerMitFries's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 3er
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lexington, KY

Posts: 445
iTrader: (0)

I'd prefer to see a 120si offering.
And really, its time for the dual clutch gearbox. Seriously.
WolfsburgerMitFries is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-12-2007, 09:04 PM   #11
Propagator
Captain
 
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

Posts: 808
iTrader: (0)

Those of us that want the 260HP N54 are pretty much screwed. I don't really see any way that we will get that unless one of the two things happen.

1. BMW moves to 3 model line up for the 1 and the 3, like the 5. This will allow them to position the 260HP motor as the middle one.

2. Competition gets so fierce that BMW needs to make 260HP a base engine.

There is a slight chance that 1 would happen, if the 1 turned out to be a smashing hit. 2, snow balls chance in hell.
Propagator is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2007, 07:09 AM   #12
hector
Captain
 
Drives: 2007 e92 335i, 2008 128i cpe.
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: virgo supercluster bwo Pennsylvania.

Posts: 680
iTrader: (0)

[quote=spinzero;3066]Those of us that want the 260HP N54 are pretty much screwed.quote]
+1
hector is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2007, 11:02 AM   #13
hoefx
New Member
 
Drives:
Join Date: Jun 2007

Posts: 21
iTrader: (0)

Can someone explain why BMW moved to x28 from x25?
hoefx is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2007, 11:09 AM   #14
hector
Captain
 
Drives: 2007 e92 335i, 2008 128i cpe.
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: virgo supercluster bwo Pennsylvania.

Posts: 680
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoefx View Post
Can someone explain why BMW moved to x28 from x25?
more power
hector is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2007, 11:41 AM   #15
hoefx
New Member
 
Drives:
Join Date: Jun 2007

Posts: 21
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hector View Post
more power
Sorry... I should have been more specific. I was talking just about the naming convention. I don't understand why they started calling the base 3.0L motor a 328 instead of 325 in the 3-series? They are already making a 125i hatch, so why are they going to call the coupe a 128i?
hoefx is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2007, 12:11 PM   #16
hector
Captain
 
Drives: 2007 e92 335i, 2008 128i cpe.
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: virgo supercluster bwo Pennsylvania.

Posts: 680
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoefx View Post
Sorry... I should have been more specific. I was talking just about the naming convention. I don't understand why they started calling the base 3.0L motor a 328 instead of 325 in the 3-series? They are already making a 125i hatch, so why are they going to call the coupe a 128i?
both the base and top models moved up in power so the 325 became 328 and the 330 became 335. r u sure that there is a 125? in which country(ies) is that available?
hector is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2007, 12:46 PM   #17
Propagator
Captain
 
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

Posts: 808
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoefx View Post
Sorry... I should have been more specific. I was talking just about the naming convention. I don't understand why they started calling the base 3.0L motor a 328 instead of 325 in the 3-series? They are already making a 125i hatch, so why are they going to call the coupe a 128i?
It's all just a marketing scheme, at least in the US. x25, x28, x30, they are the same 3.0L N53 engines with varying degrees of tune. And by this I mean something as simple as different intake manifolds and different ECU coding.

Really, it should cost BMW next to nothing to upgrade x25 (210HP) to x28 (230HP) and to x30 (255HP). The R&D is all but done. The only reason that BMW intentionally detunes the N53, by killing the top end torque of an otherwise beautifully revving engine, is to have a pricing hierarchy.

So when BMW introduced the 335i one year after E90 debuted, with pricing that was only around $2K higher than the first year 330i, the only way to maintain a sensible two model lineup was to ditch both the 330i and the 325i. They couldn't make the 330i base model, since then the price of it will have to drop to low $30K, and that would've enraged the first year 330i owners who paid around $40K for theirs. They couldn't leave the 325i as the base, since the gap between the 325i and the 335i was just too big.

So they picked the middle number, 28, with a HP rating that is pretty much the average of the 325i and 330i, with the pricing that is also the average of the two. Pure marketing, nothing less, nothing more.

And of course the 1 is stuck with the same scheme with the 3, since BMW will not go for a three model line up for the 1, and the 128i is the only choice at this point for two model linup that includes the 135i.
Propagator is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2007, 02:19 PM   #18
ecoBMW
Anxious!
 
Drives:
Join Date: Jun 2007

Posts: 30
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinzero View Post
It's all just a marketing scheme, at least in the US. x25, x28, x30, they are the same 3.0L N53 engines with varying degrees of tune. And by this I mean something as simple as different intake manifolds and different ECU coding.

Really, it should cost BMW next to nothing to upgrade x25 (210HP) to x28 (230HP) and to x30 (255HP). The R&D is all but done. The only reason that BMW intentionally detunes the N53, by killing the top end torque of an otherwise beautifully revving engine, is to have a pricing hierarchy.

So when BMW introduced the 335i one year after E90 debuted, with pricing that was only around $2K higher than the first year 330i, the only way to maintain a sensible two model lineup was to ditch both the 330i and the 325i. They couldn't make the 330i base model, since then the price of it will have to drop to low $30K, and that would've enraged the first year 330i owners who paid around $40K for theirs. They couldn't leave the 325i as the base, since the gap between the 325i and the 335i was just too big.

So they picked the middle number, 28, with a HP rating that is pretty much the average of the 325i and 330i, with the pricing that is also the average of the two. Pure marketing, nothing less, nothing more.

And of course the 1 is stuck with the same scheme with the 3, since BMW will not go for a three model line up for the 1, and the 128i is the only choice at this point for two model linup that includes the 135i.

They pulled the same marketing scheme with the E36 and E46 generations. The first year of the new generation they start off with a couple options on engine size to choose from, then after 2 or 3 years they bump both up with more power to keep the buyers interested to keep that generation alive while they work on the ///M version for that generation and R&D for the next new generation, hence the E90 and now the 1 series.

They could have started the new 1 series off with the 23 and 28 claiming the 1 series is their entry level car with a smaller motor to meet the needs of a certain demographic, then moved on to the 25 and 30, then the 28 with twin turbos and a 35 with twin turbos as well.

I glad BMW made a smart move by introducing the new 1 series with the 28 and 35 engines. That means they will have to increase the power in a couple years on both, if they keep this new 1 series generation alive for 4 or 6 years before moving on to the next 1 series generation. There very well could be a ///M version of this car in a few years time. The media and marketing department is just hyping up their audience by throwing around the ///M word. I would expect a ZHP (performance package) option for sure.

We shall see how it all plays out. I know I'm excited for a revival of a lightweight driver's BMW!
ecoBMW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2007, 02:40 PM   #19
hector
Captain
 
Drives: 2007 e92 335i, 2008 128i cpe.
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: virgo supercluster bwo Pennsylvania.

Posts: 680
iTrader: (0)

[quote=ecoBMW;3101]


I glad BMW made a smart move by introducing the new 1 series with the 28 and 35 engines. That means they will have to increase the power in a couple years on both, if they keep this new 1 series generation alive for 4 or 6 years before moving on to the next 1 series generation. quote]
don't forget that the 1er is a late intro. to the U.S. it's already in actuality at mid-model cycle so i wouldn't be surprised if the models that we get remain unchanged until the redesign in 2011 or so.
hector is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2007, 02:54 PM   #20
ecoBMW
Anxious!
 
Drives:
Join Date: Jun 2007

Posts: 30
iTrader: (0)

hector,

Good point! So the 118i, 120i and 130i were the starter engine options, plus the available diesel engine 120d for this new 1 series in Europe?
ecoBMW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2007, 03:20 PM   #21
Propagator
Captain
 
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

Posts: 808
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hector View Post
don't forget that the 1er is a late intro. to the U.S. it's already in actuality at mid-model cycle so i wouldn't be surprised if the models that we get remain unchanged until the redesign in 2011 or so.
That's a good point. We are already 3 years behind Europe in getting the 1. I would expect around 1 year delay for getting the next generation, assuming that the current gen does decently in the US. So the coupe we are getting is likely to be short lived compared to the typical BMW model cycles.
Propagator is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2007, 05:26 PM   #22
BForbes
Moderator
 
BForbes's Avatar
 
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Orlando, FL

Posts: 4,242
iTrader: (0)

Thank you BMW for bringing the booost.
__________________
- 04 Honda S2000(gone)
BForbes is offline   Bahamas
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:45 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST