BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-01-2007, 01:54 PM   #1
kaess
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Aug 2007

iTrader: (0)

I am predicting $32K base price for the 135i

I have several reasons for choosing this number. I believe that the 128i will most like have a base price around $26k since the average between the mini cooper and 328i base prices is $25k and motortrend has also predicted about a $26k base price for the 128i. Therefore through seeing about a $5k price difference between the 328i and the 335i its safe to say that the price difference between the two 1 series models will be about the same if not less. Therefore I think its safe to that the 135i will have a $32k base price. This would also make it very competitive with the audi a4 even though theyre two different types of cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 02:00 PM   #2
Lips
First Lieutenant
7
Rep
363
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Jul 2007

iTrader: (0)

Hoping you are correct, but doubtful that it will be anywhere close to that price. I'd say $35k at the least if not more. There is tons of speculation but the truth is none of us will know until it is released.
__________________
2005 G35 Coupe Lakeshore Slate
2007 Mazda MX-5 Galaxy Grey
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 02:11 PM   #3
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
11
Rep
711
Posts

Drives: Acura TL
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Germantown, MD

iTrader: (0)

$32K sounds great, but I'm in the ~$36K camp. I don't generally like being wrong, but this is one time where I would love for that to be the case. :wink:

BTW kaess, an '87 635csi is a sweet ride.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 04:24 PM   #4
vagolfer24
Avid Golfer
0
Rep
7
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Aug 2007

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaess View Post
I have several reasons for choosing this number. I believe that the 128i will most like have a base price around $26k since the average between the mini cooper and 328i base prices is $25k and motortrend has also predicted about a $26k base price for the 128i. Therefore through seeing about a $5k price difference between the 328i and the 335i its safe to say that the price difference between the two 1 series models will be about the same if not less. Therefore I think its safe to that the 135i will have a $32k base price. This would also make it very competitive with the audi a4 even though theyre two different types of cars.

I am going to have to agree with this. I have also heard prices around those numbers. I hope that is true. I think that BMW really wants to make a splash with this car, and truth be told if they ask too much for it it could be a huge bust. I know that this car is going to be awesome, and I will be buying one if the price is right. But even given the specs, how can you justify $36K-$37K for an entry level car? I believe that amount of $$ will scare off too many buyers.

I am 23 and this car comes out 2 days before my b-day. Talk about the best birthday present ever.... Anyways, I know there alot of people my age that would seriously consider a car of this quality for $30K-$32K. Not to mention the kids that have their parents to buy it for them (no offense to anyone). But if they ask $35-$37K? I bet the number decreases by 30%. I know I wouldn't be able to afford that extra $5K, as much as I want this car. They can charge more and sell less, or charge less and sell alot more. It just seems to me that they can't afford to charge too much.

Or maybe I am just wearing my BMW goggles praying I can afford one. Either way, if they charge $35-$37K there will be losing at least one customer..... me.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 04:48 PM   #5
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
11
Rep
711
Posts

Drives: Acura TL
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Germantown, MD

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagolfer24 View Post
I am going to have to agree with this. I have also heard prices around those numbers. I hope that is true. I think that BMW really wants to make a splash with this car, and truth be told if they ask too much for it it could be a huge bust. I know that this car is going to be awesome, and I will be buying one if the price is right. But even given the specs, how can you justify $36K-$37K for an entry level car? I believe that amount of $$ will scare off too many buyers.

I am 23 and this car comes out 2 days before my b-day. Talk about the best birthday present ever.... Anyways, I know there alot of people my age that would seriously consider a car of this quality for $30K-$32K. Not to mention the kids that have their parents to buy it for them (no offense to anyone). But if they ask $35-$37K? I bet the number decreases by 30%. I know I wouldn't be able to afford that extra $5K, as much as I want this car. They can charge more and sell less, or charge less and sell alot more. It just seems to me that they can't afford to charge too much.

Or maybe I am just wearing my BMW goggles praying I can afford one. Either way, if they charge $35-$37K there will be losing at least one customer..... me.
I really don't consider the 135i M Sport an entry level car and I don't believe that BMW is marketing it as one. Now the 128i is another matter. Don't get me wrong I think that the 128i will be a great car, but I do think that BMW is aiming at different market segments with the 128i and the 135i.

I find the gap between the 128i and a 135i M Sport an interesting move by BMW and really have to wonder about their intent if they only offer the 135i as a M Sport. It would be similar to the them only offering a 335i in a ZSP version.

As much as I would like a $32K for the 135i price to be so, I can't pull a Picard and say "Make it so" and I don't see how BMW can either. Although $35K is possible, I'm still thinking at least $36K. The 128i will be ~30K and will be the majority choice accordingly.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 09:55 PM   #6
128er
Captain
26
Rep
900
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Jul 2007

iTrader: (0)

Guys!! The 1 Series cannot interfere with the 3 series in ANY way!! if the 135i was 35k...Most people would just get a 328i! I agree with the thread starter, the mini cooper and 328 average is $25,525. I think the 128i will be a $26,000 car at most. BMW wants a car that people can afford and that is why they are bringing the one to America
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 09:58 PM   #7
128er
Captain
26
Rep
900
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Jul 2007

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagolfer24 View Post
I am going to have to agree with this. I have also heard prices around those numbers. I hope that is true. I think that BMW really wants to make a splash with this car, and truth be told if they ask too much for it it could be a huge bust. I know that this car is going to be awesome, and I will be buying one if the price is right. But even given the specs, how can you justify $36K-$37K for an entry level car? I believe that amount of $$ will scare off too many buyers.

I am 23 and this car comes out 2 days before my b-day. Talk about the best birthday present ever.... Anyways, I know there alot of people my age that would seriously consider a car of this quality for $30K-$32K. Not to mention the kids that have their parents to buy it for them (no offense to anyone). But if they ask $35-$37K? I bet the number decreases by 30%. I know I wouldn't be able to afford that extra $5K, as much as I want this car. They can charge more and sell less, or charge less and sell alot more. It just seems to me that they can't afford to charge too much.

Or maybe I am just wearing my BMW goggles praying I can afford one. Either way, if they charge $35-$37K there will be losing at least one customer..... me.

You are sooo right. The 128i is targeting a younger market who wants an entry level BMW. People who are ~20-25 cannot afford a $35,000 car. BMW won't put a car at a price that you can get a 3 series at!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 10:32 PM   #8
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
11
Rep
711
Posts

Drives: Acura TL
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Germantown, MD

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 128er View Post
You are sooo right. The 128i is targeting a younger market who wants an entry level BMW. People who are ~20-25 cannot afford a $35,000 car. BMW won't put a car at a price that you can get a 3 series at!
The 128i won't be $35K, but the 135i will be at least that much and probably more. At ~ $30K the 128i will be BMW's new entry level vehicle, while the 135i is aimed more at enthusiasts willing to pay the price of admission. Based upon what we've seen for Europe the base model of the 135i will be the M Sport.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2007, 05:44 PM   #9
128er
Captain
26
Rep
900
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Jul 2007

iTrader: (0)

Guys...I'm really scared that the 128i will be out of my price range!!! I can only go up to $30,500 WITH sales tax! I defenintly want leather too and steptronic! Do you think it's possible
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2007, 10:13 AM   #10
ZweierCoupe
Private
3
Rep
82
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Feb 2007

iTrader: (0)

Just take a look at prices of other German cars in this price range and get a grip!

For a more realistic projection regarding pricing, check out my posts in the main pricing thread. I just posted a long response a few minutes ago, which addresses both 128i and 135i prices, and why these are to be the likely prices you'll see next spring. I think people aspiring to get a 1-series BMW next year should stop fantasizing and deal with reality.

The Volkswagen Golf R32 starts at $33K (without dealer destination charge), Audi's A3 Quattro Sportback is $34K (without dealer destination charge). The 135i will easily blow both of these cars away, so why should it be priced at the same level???
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2007, 11:27 AM   #11
Tijuana
Second Lieutenant
3
Rep
217
Posts

Drives: 535xi
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Indianapolis

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZweierCoupe View Post
The Volkswagen Golf R32 starts at $33K (without dealer destination charge), Audi's A3 Quattro Sportback is $34K (without dealer destination charge). The 135i will easily blow both of these cars away, so why should it be priced at the same level???
Because nobody wants to buy those cars because they are overpriced.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2007, 12:39 PM   #12
torv
New Member
0
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: Daily Driver
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Southern California

iTrader: (0)

I'm inclined to agree with everybody on here on bits and pieces. The 135i can't be so high that it interferes with the 3 series. The reason of if it were the same price people would buy 328 insteand of 135 is not entirely correct. Different engine, and 135 will clearly be much faster and more potent that 328.

However, entry level or not, this is a car that BMW USA is trying to have it come out competing with Merc and Audi. The price will be higher than those two because it's always been so. I suggest to get an accurate pricing, we should look at the entry level A3 or an entry level Merc. Add a frew grand to that, and that'd be the price of the 1s.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2007, 04:24 PM   #13
inTgr8r
Major General
inTgr8r's Avatar
Canada
132
Rep
8,467
Posts

Drives: 07 M Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
Because nobody wants to buy those cars because they are overpriced.
^+100000000
__________________
Alpinweiss '07 M Coupe •DKF Section1•RPi GT exhaust•Fabspeed Headers•Autosolutions SSK•APR splitter•Tekarbon headlights•StrongStrut STB•H&R fr ARB•Poly FCAB/RTAB•Volk Racing G2•Direzza ZII•Stoptech BBK•Vibra-Tech mtr mounts•
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2007, 12:17 PM   #14
128er
Captain
26
Rep
900
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Jul 2007

iTrader: (0)

I disagree...Just look at the 3 & 5 Series...The top 3 series (335xi) is $40,800 and the Bottom 5 series is at $44,300. So BMW doesn't want any series to interfere with another in any way!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2007, 01:08 PM   #15
IrvRobinson2
Banned
12
Rep
390
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Jul 2007

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 128er View Post
Guys!! The 1 Series cannot interfere with the 3 series in ANY way!! if the 135i was 35k...Most people would just get a 328i! I agree with the thread starter, the mini cooper and 328 average is $25,525. I think the 128i will be a $26,000 car at most. BMW wants a car that people can afford and that is why they are bringing the one to America
I would have to disagree, I'm not sure if people will choose the 328 over the 135i. I know I wouldn't
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2007, 04:04 PM   #16
MastaMind
I like beer
15
Rep
1,287
Posts

Drives: AW 135
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Under Pressure

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
Because nobody wants to buy those cars because they are overpriced.
This is a very accurate representation of the enthusiast's viewpoint. Even the VW guys are unimpressed with the R32, especially regarding its price to performance ratio. The A3 S-Line is not selling at all....

I'm very interested in ZweierCoupe's perspective regarding this; I don't believe he as addressed this issue yet.

Personally, I believe that the 135i will start no more than $35k. That price point would enable BMW to offer an alternative to its own 3 series while also offering a direct pricing competitor to the G37. The idea that BMW is a premium brand in comparison to the different Japanese manufacturers is not only arrogant, but it's also a mentality that is not shared by the majority of the American consumers. Lexus, Infiniti and Acura all exist because of the demand for quality, performance and value in this particular market.

Anyhow, I do enjoy reading the various logistics behind the pricing debates.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2007, 04:07 PM   #17
lib
Major
lib's Avatar
41
Rep
1,404
Posts

Drives: <This space for rent>
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: ATX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrvRobinson View Post
I would have to disagree, I'm not sure if people will choose the 328 over the 135i. I know I wouldn't
True but most car buyers don't spend months posting on an internet forum about a car that isn't out yet.

I think it's safe to say the car buying choices made by posters here isn't representative of your average BMW buyer.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2007, 07:55 PM   #18
1monkey
New Member
3
Rep
20
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Aug 2007

iTrader: (0)

I think I read on these forums that BMW will be introducing the 1 series so they can raise the price of the 3 series a little bit. So we can't just straight up compare the existing prices of the 3 series because those prices could go up.

For example, in Canada the 135i is supposed to start at 40K and top up at around 45k. But that doesn't make that much sense because I believe the 335i starts at 46K.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 09:09 PM   #19
UJackM
Private
0
Rep
87
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Sep 2007

iTrader: (0)

BMW is not intending to do charity with this car. It is all about business. Look at UK price, there is not much difference between 3's and 1's. Why would it sell cars at loss, dilute the brand image and cannibalize 3's? As much as I want it to be affordable as Japanese cheap shit, it is not going to happen. Get real.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 02:20 AM   #20
Dunbar
Private
0
Rep
65
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Oct 2007

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1monkey View Post
I think I read on these forums that BMW will be introducing the 1 series so they can raise the price of the 3 series a little bit. So we can't just straight up compare the existing prices of the 3 series because those prices could go up.

For example, in Canada the 135i is supposed to start at 40K and top up at around 45k. But that doesn't make that much sense because I believe the 335i starts at 46K.
1) 2008 3 series pricing has been out for months, it won't be raised. If they do raise the prices faster than the competition, regardless of the reason, they will sell fewer cars.

2) Canadian pricing hasn't been announced yet, that is a guess.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 03:36 AM   #21
msgburner
New Member
0
Rep
10
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Oct 2007

iTrader: (0)

I was quoted at a base price of 29000 us. But Im not going through a dealership so who knows.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 09:34 AM   #22
UJackM
Private
0
Rep
87
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Sep 2007

iTrader: (0)

Anybody has any insights regarding the fact that BMW did not increase the price of 3-series for 2008? That's kind of unheard of. VW/Audi did hefty $600 or so.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:39 AM.




1addicts
1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST