BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

View Poll Results: Will the 128i cost more or less than the TSX?
More than the TSX 32 76.19%
Less than the TSX 10 23.81%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-28-2007, 10:15 PM   #23
Sixspeed J
Private First Class
 
Sixspeed J's Avatar
 
Drives: BSM 1M
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ohio

Posts: 151
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
Thats why there is an M6 ..! For thsoe people who don't have kids and are SINGLE.

4-door = your taken. Your a father and have a family.

It's embarrasing to drive around in a 4-door when your single, because why would you need 4 doors..? You have no kids, no need.

Sedans are typically cheaper version of the coupes. More subtle and not as youthful. So, yes I find it embarrasing when driving a friends 4-door or my moms CTS.

Sedans(4doors) are perfectly fine for those who need them, but if you don't and do own one :iono: = embarrasing!






-Garrett
Dude did you forget that you own a Ford Escape? You must be going around embrassed all the time.
Sixspeed J is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-29-2007, 10:32 AM   #24
Garrett
Banned
 
Drives: 2004 330ci
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Mich

Posts: 1,356
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixspeed J View Post
Dude did you forget that you own a Ford Escape? You must be going around embrassed all the time.

Forget? No... I drive it every day.
And get this, it's not a car! I was talking about Sedan vs Coupe. Station wagon, touring, hatchbacks are all exempt from that rule because they are utilitarian. dee dee dee
Garrett is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-29-2007, 10:45 AM   #25
1ster
Large Member
 
1ster's Avatar
 
Drives:
Join Date: Aug 2007

Posts: 939
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
I was talking about Sedan vs Coupe. Station wagon, touring, hatchbacks are all exempt from that rule because they are utilitarian.
I like you Garrett, and you and I have always gotten along, so please don't take it personally when I tell you that your argument is ridiculous. A Ford Escape screams "family man" a bazillion times more than a sport sedan does. Sorry.



1ster is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-29-2007, 10:47 AM   #26
Smokey
Lucky Lefty
 
Smokey's Avatar
 
Drives: on twisty roads
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: *

Posts: 718
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 M3  [5.00]
2013 bmw F25 msport  [5.00]
2011 335iS  [4.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
Forget? No... I drive it every day.
And get this, it's not a car! I was talking about Sedan vs Coupe. Station wagon, touring, hatchbacks are all exempt from that rule because they are utilitarian. dee dee dee
. So if you drive a four door car you should be embarassed, but if you drive a four door station wagon or suv you shouldn't be? :iono:
__________________

The Power of M
Smokey is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-29-2007, 10:54 AM   #27
Smokey
Lucky Lefty
 
Smokey's Avatar
 
Drives: on twisty roads
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: *

Posts: 718
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 M3  [5.00]
2013 bmw F25 msport  [5.00]
2011 335iS  [4.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ster View Post
I like you Garrett, and you and I have always gotten along, so please don't take it personally when I tell you that your argument is ridiculous. A Ford Escape screams "family man" a bazillion times more than a sport sedan does. Sorry.



__________________

The Power of M
Smokey is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-29-2007, 11:14 AM   #28
///MG
Private First Class
 
Drives: '05 M3
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NYC

Posts: 190
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
Thats why there is an M6 ..! For thsoe people who don't have kids and are SINGLE.

4-door = your taken. Your a father and have a family.

It's embarrasing to drive around in a 4-door when your single, because why would you need 4 doors..? You have no kids, no need.

Sedans are typically cheaper version of the coupes. More subtle and not as youthful. So, yes I find it embarrasing when driving a friends 4-door or my moms CTS.

Sedans(4doors) are perfectly fine for those who need them, but if you don't and do own one :iono: = embarrasing!






-Garrett
Forgive me, but I wouldn't it be more "embarrassing" to drive your mommy's car around compared to a sedan paid for out of your own pocket. Grow up.
///MG is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-29-2007, 12:09 PM   #29
Garrett
Banned
 
Drives: 2004 330ci
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Mich

Posts: 1,356
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ster View Post
I like you Garrett, and you and I have always gotten along, so please don't take it personally when I tell you that your argument is ridiculous. A Ford Escape screams "family man" a bazillion times more than a sport sedan does. Sorry.

Hunh..? :drinking:

Thats why I always own BOTH. I don't drive my expensive cars in the winter, they sit in the garrage!

It's not a big SUV, but a practical smaller, inexpensive beater!


Quote:
Forgive me, but I wouldn't it be more "embarrassing" to drive your mommy's car around compared to a sedan paid for out of your own pocket. Grow up.
And no.. My mom is retired and when she comes to visit me, I drive her around because she doesn't know the roads. Plus, like a good lil' son I'm also making sure there is no problems with it. Why, you think the CTS is a bad car for a Mom..? Or mommy..? Even though it's a nice car, I'm still embarrassed being seen driving it. I'm not a 60 year old retiree with granchildren and the need for 4 doors, like my mommy..!
Garrett is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-29-2007, 01:27 PM   #30
Tijuana
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 535xi
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Indianapolis

Posts: 217
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
stuff




Stop it, your killing me with this crap.
Tijuana is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-29-2007, 02:01 PM   #31
Sixspeed J
Private First Class
 
Sixspeed J's Avatar
 
Drives: BSM 1M
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ohio

Posts: 151
iTrader: (1)

Ford Escape=Soccer Mom

Garrett I don't see any single men driving these types of vehicles. I'm not sure I have heard about the exemption because it is practical rule. By that rule though then a four door car is exempt right? Because it is definately has more utility than a coupe. I can pull the seat down haul more stuff and if I need to haul to people (friends or children) then I can and that makes it practical.

Also I doubt that the Evo and Sti owners are embrassed by four doors.
Sixspeed J is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-29-2007, 02:11 PM   #32
gbent
First Lieutenant
 
gbent's Avatar
 
Drives:
Join Date: Sep 2007

Posts: 312
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixspeed J View Post
Ford Escape=Soccer Mom
gbent is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-29-2007, 08:01 PM   #33
vegasthrowdown
New Member
 
Drives:
Join Date: Oct 2007

Posts: 9
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
Thats why there is an M6 ..! For thsoe people who don't have kids and are SINGLE.

4-door = your taken. Your a father and have a family.

It's embarrasing to drive around in a 4-door when your single, because why would you need 4 doors..? You have no kids, no need.

Sedans are typically cheaper version of the coupes. More subtle and not as youthful. So, yes I find it embarrasing when driving a friends 4-door or my moms CTS.

Sedans(4doors) are perfectly fine for those who need them, but if you don't and do own one :iono: = embarrasing!






-Garrett


"4 door = taken"? That's a broad and stupid generalization. I had Audi S4 through my single years. S4=not embarrasing, neither are: RS4, M5, RS6, any 5 or 7 series, etc.

So how do you feel driving your Ford Escape? Do you wear a bag over your head while you drive?
vegasthrowdown is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-29-2007, 08:09 PM   #34
vegasthrowdown
New Member
 
Drives:
Join Date: Oct 2007

Posts: 9
iTrader: (0)

what's more "embarrasing"?

Ford Escape


OR

a "4 door non sporty sedan"?



vegasthrowdown is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-29-2007, 08:37 PM   #35
Garrett
Banned
 
Drives: 2004 330ci
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Mich

Posts: 1,356
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixspeed J View Post
Ford Escape=Soccer Mom

Garrett I don't see any single men driving these types of vehicles. I'm not sure I have heard about the exemption because it is practical rule. By that rule though then a four door car is exempt right? Because it is definately has more utility than a coupe. I can pull the seat down haul more stuff and if I need to haul to people (friends or children) then I can and that makes it practical.

Also I doubt that the Evo and Sti owners are embrassed by four doors.

You don't see the difference of a truck and a car..? Really..? I drive a car for pleasure, own a truck for towing, hauling, sporting..etc. Hard to keep a keg and 4 Michigan tailgaters in a BMW coupe.

Admittedly, if I had kids I would be a FATHER and do what was right for my FAMILY and own a 4-door sedan. My kids would over-ride my dilusional fantasy that I'm Mario Andretti.

BTW, if I had need of an Audi RS4, i'd own one right now. I don't! I've owned a sh!t load of nice cars over the years, but always, always had a beater for winter driving. Nothing changed, now my beater is a 2007 Ford. To me thats a nice enough beater to be un-embarrassing..!
Garrett is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-30-2007, 07:43 AM   #36
SmoothStyle1
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335i sedan, 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NC, USA

Posts: 315
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
You don't see the difference of a truck and a car..? Really..? I drive a car for pleasure, own a truck for towing, hauling, sporting..etc. Hard to keep a keg and 4 Michigan tailgaters in a BMW coupe.

Admittedly, if I had kids I would be a FATHER and do what was right for my FAMILY and own a 4-door sedan. My kids would over-ride my dilusional fantasy that I'm Mario Andretti.

BTW, if I had need of an Audi RS4, i'd own one right now. I don't! I've owned a sh!t load of nice cars over the years, but always, always had a beater for winter driving. Nothing changed, now my beater is a 2007 Ford. To me thats a nice enough beater to be un-embarrassing..!
Give it up. You've lost the debate. You've been presented with irrefutable examples of 4-door cars that are not only non-embarrassing, but that most men would prefer driving to their current vehicles (single or family-men, young or old).
SmoothStyle1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-30-2007, 08:31 AM   #37
vegasthrowdown
New Member
 
Drives:
Join Date: Oct 2007

Posts: 9
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothStyle1 View Post
Give it up. You've lost the debate. You've been presented with irrefutable examples of 4-door cars that are not only non-embarrassing, but that most men would prefer driving to their current vehicles (single or family-men, young or old).
smoothstyle1 is correct. Thr Ford Escape driving Garret has lost the debate
vegasthrowdown is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-30-2007, 10:44 AM   #38
Garrett
Banned
 
Drives: 2004 330ci
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Mich

Posts: 1,356
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothStyle1 View Post
Give it up. You've lost the debate. You've been presented with irrefutable examples of 4-door cars that are not only non-embarrassing, but that most men would prefer driving to their current vehicles (single or family-men, young or old).

Your stance is jaded. I have not counterdicted myself and the many youthful and afluent, don't drive sedans. They drive sport cars, coupes..!

Do you see a Mustang in sedan form?, Ferrari?, Corvette?, Porsche? (yes, I know), etc? They are American icons that convey masculinity and youthful outlook!

Why does BMW always illustrate the Coupe as more prestigous, and youthful car over the sedan? You don't see a family of 4 going to the beach, with a few blankets and a beachball in the trunk of an e92 on their broshures, do you..?

That is mirrored in every catalouge from every manufactureer, because it's true!

BMW's sedans are less expensive, aswell!


My perception, of the driver of sedan's -VS- coupe's, is not mine exclusively...!


If you opt to choose a sportier car over a utilitarian minivan, suv, wagon, jeep, etc. For your family needs, then you are sacrificing for a greater good. But why would anyone do that, if they arn't married, have kids or recently devourced..?

:iono: ..? Why would you own a sedan?
The Looks?
The Gas mileage?
Easier to clean you car?
More road noise?
More weight?

Most likely because it was cheaper and you have kids. How else can you logically justify owning a sedan..?
Garrett is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-30-2007, 10:54 AM   #39
Khobin~
First Lieutenant
 
Khobin~'s Avatar
 
Drives:
Join Date: Aug 2007

Posts: 312
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
Your stance is jaded. I have not counterdicted myself and the many youthful and afluent, don't drive sedans. They drive sport cars, coupes..!

Do you see a Mustang in sedan form?, Ferrari?, Corvette, Porsche (yes, I know), etc? They are American icons that convey masculinity and youthful outlook!

Why does BMW always illustrate the Coupe as more prestigous, and youthful car over the sedan? You don't see a family of 4 going to the beach, with a few blankets and a beachball in the trunk of an e92 on their broshures, do you..?

That is mirrored in every catalouge from every manufactureer, because it's true!

BMW's sedans are less expensive, aswell!


My perception, of the driver of sedan's -VS- 2 door coupe's is not mine exclusively...!


If you opt to choose a sportier car over a utilitarian minivan, suv, wagon, jeep, etc. For your family needs, then you are sacrificing for a greater good. But why would anyone do that, if they arn't married, have kids or recently devourced..?

:iono: ..? Why would you own a sedan?
The Looks?
The Gas mileage?
Easier to clean you car?
More road noise?
More weight?

Most likely because it was cheaper and you have kids. How else can you logically justifie owning a sedan..?

<edit> Removed the error...

Now granted, I have a kid, and I have a 4 dr, and a 2 dr...either way I can take my kid whereever I go...

But even before I had a kid I had 4 door cars...

Personnaly, I like sedans...I also like coupes...I'm not embarassed to drive a sedan just because I'm alone i nthe car...that's stupid.

Now you talk of youth and how "manly" men want coupes...well what about all the 16-30 year old kids that lust for the power of an STI or Evo...both if which have 4 doors...are you saying they aren't "sporty" enough for all the YOUNGER, and mostly MEN that buy them???

And if 4 doors are soooo bad, why didn't you get a 2 door jeep, or something instead of the "girly" Escape?:iono:
Khobin~ is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-30-2007, 10:59 AM   #40
Garrett
Banned
 
Drives: 2004 330ci
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Mich

Posts: 1,356
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khobin~ View Post
Not sure what you've been smoking, but around here a 328i coupe costs more then the sedan...same with the 335... so the comment that "bmw coupes are cheaper" is wrong...

Now granted, I have a kid, and I have a 4 dr, and a 2 dr...either way I can take my kid whereever I go...

But even before I had a kid I had 4 door cars...

Personnaly, I like sedans...I also like coupes...I'm not embarassed to drive a sedan just because I'm alone i nthe car...that's stupid.

Now you talk of youth and how "manly" men want coupes...well what about all the 16-30 year old kids that lust for the power of an STI or Evo...both if which have 4 doors...are you saying they aren't "sporty" enough for all the YOUNGER, and mostly MEN that buy them???

And if 4 doors are soooo bad, why didn't you get a 2 door jeep, or something instead of the "girly" Escape?:iono:

LOL..!

Reread my post!

I've clearly stated the exact opposite. Coupes cost MORE! Thus the budget minded will always choose the sedan. Perhaps a family man? See my point?

Your not embarrassed because you shouldn't be. Your a father, not a single man!
Garrett is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-30-2007, 11:07 AM   #41
Khobin~
First Lieutenant
 
Khobin~'s Avatar
 
Drives:
Join Date: Aug 2007

Posts: 312
iTrader: (0)

hmmm...I could have sworn that said coupes before...but fine, my bad...

But you seem to have avoided the reall meat and potatoes of the post...

"Now you talk of youth and how "manly" men want coupes...well what about all the 16-30 year old kids that lust for the power of an STI or Evo...both if which have 4 doors...are you saying they aren't "sporty" enough for all the YOUNGER, and mostly MEN that buy them???

And if 4 doors are soooo bad, why didn't you get a 2 door jeep, or something instead of the "girly" Escape?:iono:"
Khobin~ is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-30-2007, 11:16 AM   #42
Garrett
Banned
 
Drives: 2004 330ci
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Mich

Posts: 1,356
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khobin~ View Post
hmmm...I could have sworn that said coupes before...but fine, my bad...

But you seem to have avoided the reall meat and potatoes of the post...

"Now you talk of youth and how "manly" men want coupes...well what about all the 16-30 year old kids that lust for the power of an STI or Evo...both if which have 4 doors...are you saying they aren't "sporty" enough for all the YOUNGER, and mostly MEN that buy them???

And if 4 doors are soooo bad, why didn't you get a 2 door jeep, or something instead of the "girly" Escape?:iono:"

Arn't you refering to a niche market, of certified rally cars, that traditionally over the years, always been sedans..? They are classified as wagons, are they not?

Ford Escape, Because my criteria didn't apply to the jeep. Since this was to be a second vehicle, and winter vehicle, grocerie getter, mountain bike hauler. I went with something low cost, local and inexpensive. The only other competition was the Mazda Suv.

Any other questions?
Garrett is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-30-2007, 11:32 AM   #43
Khobin~
First Lieutenant
 
Khobin~'s Avatar
 
Drives:
Join Date: Aug 2007

Posts: 312
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
Arn't you refering to a niche market, of certified rally cars, that traditionally over the years, always been sedans..? They are classified as wagons, are they not?

Ford Escape, Because my criteria didn't apply to the jeep. Since this was to be a second vehicle, and winter vehicle, grocerie getter, mountain bike hauler. I went with something low cost, local and inexpensive. The only other competition was the Mazda Suv.

Any other questions?
Ahhh...so then why can't the same logic be applied to a sedan as what you chose for the Escape?...

ANd while you're at it, what's wrong with throwing in a little(or a lot) of fun by getting a "sporty" sedan?...My galant for instance, is big enough to haul most of the things I need it to, is fast enough and handles good enough, to allow for some "spirited" driving, and practical enough that if I need too I haul family/friends...

As for what Evo's and STI are classifed as, well how is an EVo a wagon??...the STI is sometimes, but not all the time...and it's only a niche market due the price...there's plenty of "tuners" out there with Lancers and Imrezza's that modding the crap out of them...

That's why you're contradicting yourself...you're saying that if you want something practical, you can't get something sporty....but yes, you can...in the form of a sedan, wagon, and on rare occasions, an SUV...

Now if you're arrguement was that a single guy should be embarrassed driving a minvan, then maybe I'd be on your side...but then chances are if he is driving a minivan, then he has his reasons...
Khobin~ is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-30-2007, 11:35 AM   #44
Imola.ZHP
No car payments...
 
Imola.ZHP's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 BMW 330i ZHP
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mud Island, TN

Posts: 1,955
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Imola.ZHP Send a message via MSN to Imola.ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to Imola.ZHP
Wow, I didnt read much on this 2nd page, but WTF? I LOVE SEDANS!

I was a coupe person until I bought a Nissan Titan, I enjoyed the practicality of people being able to get in and out of the back on their own. When fuel peaked at just over $3.00/gallon, I sold that SOB. I then replaced it with my e46 330i ZHP...

I wish the 1er was availabe in sedan form, but I'm still interested. My SO just bought a 4Runner and we have an ES300 as an extra car, so I'm willing to trade the Sedan practicality for, well, basically the performance of the 1er. If we are going to have extra people, we'll take one of the other choices above.

No need to be arrogant and rude at what others like. I dont care for e46 coupes at all, not even M3's. But I love a tastefully modded, or stock, e46 sedan. And I would KILL for an e60 M5...

If you think a coupe gets you closer to a supercar, well, hell, just buy a supercar if thats what you really want...







^ thats my "lower end" car, since its not a coupe. I had the money and could have easily bought an e46 M3, but I dont like them, so I didnt...
__________________

Marcus
-- 330i ZHP
-- Build Date 03/03/03
Imola.ZHP is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:31 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST