BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

View Poll Results: Would the 135 by consideed over priced at $36500 or the 128 over priced at $29500?
Yes 28 53.85%
No 24 46.15%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-28-2007, 11:30 AM   #1
taylor82
Private First Class
 
Drives:
Join Date: Oct 2007

Posts: 169
iTrader: (0)

Pricing Polls - Get a grip!

Why are so many people on this forum obsessed with whether the 128 wil come in at $25k or $29k or will the 135 cost $32k or $37k? i thought this forum was for ensthusasts not dreamers thinking they might be able to buy a BMW for the price of a VW!? Are people trying to fool themselves into thinking the price will come in low? For the sake of a few k here and there it's still an absolute bargin for you guys in America. In the UK the 135 is just short of 30k, that equates to around $60k! People have said the 1er is the entry level model (which i don't persoanlly agree with), but at the end of the day it is a BMW, just because it's "entry level" doesn't mean cheap, just look at other brands, if Bentley were to bring out a new "entry level" car would it be cheap? no because you still have to pay for quality! Cheap = comprimised quality. i for one would prefer to pay a little more for a car to have that quality finish which is one of the resons why i have owned a BMW for the past 5 years and why i don't own a Nissan, Toyota/Lexus or any other plastic japanese car! Anyone who would says "if the 1er is $2k more i'll buy a nissan" doesn't understand what extra the 1er would be offering in terms of engineering and qulity and simply doesn't appreciate anything but that blue & white badge on the front!

So how about this for a poll, is the 135 over priced should it be yours for $36500 or the 128 over priced at $29500?

Sorry for the abrupt thread but i'm sick of people dreaming of low prices, ain't gonna happen, it hasn't in the UK and it won't in the US!
taylor82 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-28-2007, 11:36 AM   #2
128er
Captain
 
Drives:
Join Date: Jul 2007

Posts: 900
iTrader: (0)

A little word of advice...You are overpaying for the quality of bimmers. Do you know that water based glue is used for the interior?? In a matter of years your interior will just fall apart!
__________________
2006 BMW 330i
-Premium
-Sport
-Steptronic
-Premium Sound
-Xenons






128er is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-28-2007, 11:43 AM   #3
taylor82
Private First Class
 
Drives:
Join Date: Oct 2007

Posts: 169
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 128er View Post
A little word of advice...You are overpaying for the quality of bimmers. Do you know that water based glue is used for the interior?? In a matter of years your interior will just fall apart!
No parts fallen off yet, not even a rattle, 5 years and still going strong! :roundel:
taylor82 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-28-2007, 11:46 AM   #4
128er
Captain
 
Drives:
Join Date: Jul 2007

Posts: 900
iTrader: (0)

Wait a few more!!
__________________
2006 BMW 330i
-Premium
-Sport
-Steptronic
-Premium Sound
-Xenons






128er is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-28-2007, 11:50 AM   #5
Garrett
Banned
 
Drives: 2004 330ci
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Mich

Posts: 1,356
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 128er View Post
A little word of advice...You are overpaying for the quality of bimmers. Do you know that water based glue is used for the interior?? In a matter of years your interior will just fall apart!

How many 25 year old Fords, Datsuns or Toyodas do you see on the road..?

Why do people keep comming back to BMW and willingly pay the premium..?
Garrett is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-28-2007, 11:52 AM   #6
TESLAASTRO
DE STIJL
 
Drives:
Join Date: Sep 2007

Posts: 493
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Yahoo to TESLAASTRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor82 View Post
Why are so many people on this forum obsessed with whether the 128 wil come in at $25k or $29k or will the 135 cost $32k or $37k? i thought this forum was for ensthusasts not dreamers thinking they might be able to buy a BMW for the price of a VW!? Are people trying to fool themselves into thinking the price will come in low? For the sake of a few k here and there it's still an absolute bargin for you guys in America. In the UK the 135 is just short of £30k, that equates to around $60k! People have said the 1er is the entry level model (which i don't persoanlly agree with), but at the end of the day it is a BMW, just because it's "entry level" doesn't mean cheap, just look at other brands, if Bentley were to bring out a new "entry level" car would it be cheap? no because you still have to pay for quality! Cheap = comprimised quality. i for one would prefer to pay a little more for a car to have that quality finish which is one of the resons why i have owned a BMW for the past 5 years and why i don't own a Nissan, Toyota/Lexus or any other plastic japanese car! Anyone who would says "if the 1er is $2k more i'll buy a nissan" doesn't understand what extra the 1er would be offering in terms of engineering and qulity and simply doesn't appreciate anything but that blue & white badge on the front!

So how about this for a poll, is the 135 over priced should it be yours for $36500 or the 128 over priced at $29500?

Sorry for the abrupt thread but i'm sick of people dreaming of low prices, ain't gonna happen, it hasn't in the UK and it won't in the US!
jolly good post! ecky thump!....check out my youtube clip below.....live from Blackpool
__________________
'Maybe Tesla does the Astro'


=
TESLAASTRO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-28-2007, 11:56 AM   #7
TESLAASTRO
DE STIJL
 
Drives:
Join Date: Sep 2007

Posts: 493
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Yahoo to TESLAASTRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by 128er View Post
A little word of advice...You are overpaying for the quality of bimmers. Do you know that water based glue is used for the interior?? In a matter of years your interior will just fall apart!
well, i figure the water based works well for personal lube, why not the glue in my new 135....also, I would rather they use water based glue vs horse based glue.....good thing i'll have a warranty....
__________________
'Maybe Tesla does the Astro'


=
TESLAASTRO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-28-2007, 11:56 AM   #8
1ster
Large Member
 
1ster's Avatar
 
Drives:
Join Date: Aug 2007

Posts: 939
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor82 View Post
Would the 135 by consideed over priced at $36500 or the 128 over priced at $29500?
Whisky Tango Foxtrot, pardner.
1ster is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-28-2007, 12:02 PM   #9
taylor82
Private First Class
 
Drives:
Join Date: Oct 2007

Posts: 169
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ster View Post
Whisky Tango Foxtrot, pardner.
Won't be too far off, 128 under 30k, 135 mid 30's (not less than 35 otherwise would say "under 35k"?
taylor82 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-28-2007, 12:25 PM   #10
taylor82
Private First Class
 
Drives:
Join Date: Oct 2007

Posts: 169
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ster View Post
Whisky Tango Foxtrot, pardner.
ah, i see, was watching the football (soccer) whilst typing, might of just fcked up up bit but ya get the gist.
taylor82 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-28-2007, 12:39 PM   #11
TESLAASTRO
DE STIJL
 
Drives:
Join Date: Sep 2007

Posts: 493
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Yahoo to TESLAASTRO
Giants vs Dolphins right now from Wembley......watch the Dolphins get their arses kicked.....
__________________
'Maybe Tesla does the Astro'


=
TESLAASTRO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-28-2007, 12:44 PM   #12
TESLAASTRO
DE STIJL
 
Drives:
Join Date: Sep 2007

Posts: 493
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Yahoo to TESLAASTRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor82 View Post
would prefer to pay a little more for a car to have that quality finish which is one of the resons why i have owned a BMW for the past 5 years and why i don't own a Nissan, Toyota/Lexus or any other plastic japanese car!
I'm no fan of Lexus, as I think they are to the 2000s what the Caddy was in the 1970s....luxo for the old folks......Nevertheless, the quality, fit and finish, and especially the leather is first rate......
__________________
'Maybe Tesla does the Astro'


=
TESLAASTRO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-28-2007, 03:11 PM   #13
taylor82
Private First Class
 
Drives:
Join Date: Oct 2007

Posts: 169
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TESLAASTRO View Post
I'm no fan of Lexus, as I think they are to the 2000s what the Caddy was in the 1970s....luxo for the old folks......Nevertheless, the quality, fit and finish, and especially the leather is first rate......
Fair enough, i'm not so much of a fan of lexus either (as you could already tell) but fair point regarding it being an old folks car, that's maybe why the styling doesn't appeal to me (being 25) and i go for the more sporting appeal of BMW. It was maybe a bit of a genralisation of Japanese cars, lexus maybe the exception.
taylor82 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-28-2007, 04:13 PM   #14
TESLAASTRO
DE STIJL
 
Drives:
Join Date: Sep 2007

Posts: 493
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Yahoo to TESLAASTRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor82 View Post
Fair enough, i'm not so much of a fan of lexus either (as you could already tell) but fair point regarding it being an old folks car, that's maybe why the styling doesn't appeal to me (being 25) and i go for the more sporting appeal of BMW. It was maybe a bit of a genralisation of Japanese cars, lexus maybe the exception.

Do you like The White Stripes?....I was going to hop across the pond to see them at the 02 Arena but they cancelled the rest of their tour.....they used to be huge in UK thanks to John Peel's show, even before here....you guys always know the best music first....also, are you familiar with Ian Curtis, lead singer of Joy Division?He was from Manchester, part of that great scene late 70s ... I'm a big fan of his....theres a new biopic called Control that just came out....very few theatres here in US, but I'm sure all over UK....
__________________
'Maybe Tesla does the Astro'


=
TESLAASTRO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-28-2007, 04:26 PM   #15
gbent
First Lieutenant
 
gbent's Avatar
 
Drives:
Join Date: Sep 2007

Posts: 312
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
How many 25 year old Fords, Datsuns or Toyodas do you see on the road..?

Why do people keep comming back to BMW and willingly pay the premium..?
Don't confuse the build quality of new Bimmers with the cars of the 70's & 80's.

The new stuff is not built to the bullet proof standards that the mid 80's cars were. Not even close.

Any of you who are BMW CCA members know that Mike Miller' monthly column in Roundel is filled with examples of how the newer cars are not even close to being as robust as the E30 & E28 cars.
gbent is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-28-2007, 07:27 PM   #16
Legion5
Major
 
Legion5's Avatar
 
Drives: e92
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 1,367
iTrader: (12)

Other manufacturers have caught up significantly to the quality of BMW over the years, and keep in mind in the UK there are ridiculous taxes on automobiles.


The issue is BMW acts like it is higher quality than it is in it's lower end models, to "fit" that image it has ballooned it's entry level cars more and more like the 335i which starts at 41k.

The 135i is not really a BMW as it should be known, it's not a 6 series or a M5, it's a chop shop of a 3 year old model, that's been in concept since like 2001. Don't get me wrong, it's great especially with proceed...

It's not a BMW though, it's almost like an entry level car that just happens to be made by BMW and should be treated as such. Americans like performance yes, but we have it in such droves that it makes us cocky about the fact. 400hp Holden Monearos with that trick suspension setup sell for 11k here.

Also the 135 if you scale European pricing to the USA which the other models in the BMW line up deviate very slimly from that equation, the 135i comes in at $33,400. Everyone knows that BMW is a bit of an unstable manufacturer what with the great, but unnecessarily bloated release of the new 3 series coupes, so we're hoping the 135 will go for $32,500 but no one can tell, so speculation arises and all this.

I'm sorry that you're offended at the American car market, but again allow me to reiterate, Holden Monearo, 11k.
Legion5 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-28-2007, 08:32 PM   #17
Casius
New Member
 
Drives:
Join Date: Oct 2007

Posts: 9
iTrader: (0)

So if using this rational, the Bmw 3 series which is 29,000Pounds for a 325 and 35,000Pounds for a 335 (all base btw) would be $60,000 and $70,000 in the US?
This isn't how the pricing works (thank God!) unfortunately.

The 1 series, like it or not, is BMW's entry level model. If the '1' is not enough of a hint, I don't know what is. I think why so many people here are concerned about the price is just because of the above reason. If BMW decides to charge anywhere within $1,000 of the 3series then they will be shooting themselves in the foot.
The 1 series is a totally new segment for BMW and while most everyone here is looking at this car from a performance point of view, this is not the case for 90% of BMW's customer base. Most customers who are even thinking about the 1 are customers who could not get into a BMW to begin with (3 series). The 1 is aimed at a younger generation, mid 20's, professionals who are looking to get into a 'bmw'.
I can certainly tell you that the engine and m body styling is not going to be enough to warrant a high 30's price tag in the eyes of that kind of consumer.

My best guess; 128i- $27,500
135i- $32,000

If BMW wants to initiate new buyers into thier brand, they are going to have to draw them in some way and for most, that is going to be heavily based on the price of the vehicle. Engine and body styling come second to most buyers with price and smooth ride/luxury coming first.(at least for luxury brands like bmw)

My 2 cents.




Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor82 View Post
Why are so many people on this forum obsessed with whether the 128 wil come in at $25k or $29k or will the 135 cost $32k or $37k? i thought this forum was for ensthusasts not dreamers thinking they might be able to buy a BMW for the price of a VW!? Are people trying to fool themselves into thinking the price will come in low? For the sake of a few k here and there it's still an absolute bargin for you guys in America. In the UK the 135 is just short of 30k, that equates to around $60k! People have said the 1er is the entry level model (which i don't persoanlly agree with), but at the end of the day it is a BMW, just because it's "entry level" doesn't mean cheap, just look at other brands, if Bentley were to bring out a new "entry level" car would it be cheap? no because you still have to pay for quality! Cheap = comprimised quality. i for one would prefer to pay a little more for a car to have that quality finish which is one of the resons why i have owned a BMW for the past 5 years and why i don't own a Nissan, Toyota/Lexus or any other plastic japanese car! Anyone who would says "if the 1er is $2k more i'll buy a nissan" doesn't understand what extra the 1er would be offering in terms of engineering and qulity and simply doesn't appreciate anything but that blue & white badge on the front!

So how about this for a poll, is the 135 over priced should it be yours for $36500 or the 128 over priced at $29500?

Sorry for the abrupt thread but i'm sick of people dreaming of low prices, ain't gonna happen, it hasn't in the UK and it won't in the US!
Casius is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-28-2007, 09:04 PM   #18
128er
Captain
 
Drives:
Join Date: Jul 2007

Posts: 900
iTrader: (0)

^^ BRAVO!!
__________________
2006 BMW 330i
-Premium
-Sport
-Steptronic
-Premium Sound
-Xenons






128er is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-28-2007, 09:07 PM   #19
Disasterpiece
I Want 1
 
Drives:
Join Date: Sep 2007

Posts: 255
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor82 View Post
Why are so many people on this forum obsessed with whether the 128 wil come in at $25k or $29k or will the 135 cost $32k or $37k? i thought this forum was for ensthusasts not dreamers thinking they might be able to buy a BMW for the price of a VW!? Are people trying to fool themselves into thinking the price will come in low? For the sake of a few k here and there it's still an absolute bargin for you guys in America. In the UK the 135 is just short of 30k, that equates to around $60k! People have said the 1er is the entry level model (which i don't persoanlly agree with), but at the end of the day it is a BMW, just because it's "entry level" doesn't mean cheap, just look at other brands, if Bentley were to bring out a new "entry level" car would it be cheap? no because you still have to pay for quality! Cheap = comprimised quality. i for one would prefer to pay a little more for a car to have that quality finish which is one of the resons why i have owned a BMW for the past 5 years and why i don't own a Nissan, Toyota/Lexus or any other plastic japanese car! Anyone who would says "if the 1er is $2k more i'll buy a nissan" doesn't understand what extra the 1er would be offering in terms of engineering and qulity and simply doesn't appreciate anything but that blue & white badge on the front!

So how about this for a poll, is the 135 over priced should it be yours for $36500 or the 128 over priced at $29500?

Sorry for the abrupt thread but i'm sick of people dreaming of low prices, ain't gonna happen, it hasn't in the UK and it won't in the US!
If your sick of people "Dreaming" of low prices THEN JUST LEAVE instead of making a retarted post........
Disasterpiece is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-28-2007, 09:10 PM   #20
TESLAASTRO
DE STIJL
 
Drives:
Join Date: Sep 2007

Posts: 493
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Yahoo to TESLAASTRO
we'll see...that's the beauty of written communication....we can all look back on these threads mid Nov and laugh that the 128 and 135 were price speculated at 26k and 32k respectively......
__________________
'Maybe Tesla does the Astro'


=
TESLAASTRO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-29-2007, 01:02 PM   #21
taylor82
Private First Class
 
Drives:
Join Date: Oct 2007

Posts: 169
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disasterpiece View Post
If your sick of people "Dreaming" of low prices THEN JUST LEAVE instead of making a retarted post........
Just figured that there are far too many people putting up polls for reassurances that the price will be unrealistically low, don't think i'm the only one here that has that opinion. If it's such a retarded post then why have so many people voted and expressed opinions? :iono:
taylor82 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-29-2007, 01:31 PM   #22
taylor82
Private First Class
 
Drives:
Join Date: Oct 2007

Posts: 169
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casius View Post
So if using this rational, the Bmw 3 series which is 29,000Pounds for a 325 and 35,000Pounds for a 335 (all base btw) would be $60,000 and $70,000 in the US?
This isn't how the pricing works (thank God!) unfortunately.

The 1 series, like it or not, is BMW's entry level model. If the '1' is not enough of a hint, I don't know what is. I think why so many people here are concerned about the price is just because of the above reason. If BMW decides to charge anywhere within $1,000 of the 3series then they will be shooting themselves in the foot.
The 1 series is a totally new segment for BMW and while most everyone here is looking at this car from a performance point of view, this is not the case for 90% of BMW's customer base. Most customers who are even thinking about the 1 are customers who could not get into a BMW to begin with (3 series). The 1 is aimed at a younger generation, mid 20's, professionals who are looking to get into a 'bmw'.
I can certainly tell you that the engine and m body styling is not going to be enough to warrant a high 30's price tag in the eyes of that kind of consumer.

My best guess; 128i- $27,500
135i- $32,000

If BMW wants to initiate new buyers into thier brand, they are going to have to draw them in some way and for most, that is going to be heavily based on the price of the vehicle. Engine and body styling come second to most buyers with price and smooth ride/luxury coming first.(at least for luxury brands like bmw)

My 2 cents.
I wasn't suggesting that the price would be the same in pounds as it is in dollars but meerly indicating that the prices did not come in as low as expected in the UK and are not considered being cheap.

As far as being an entry model, to me the coupe isn't the entry model, in the UK we have the hatch which is the so called "entry" model, also some people think of the Mini being BMW since they're sold in the same garages and built by BMW?

I also think BMW will be shooting themselves in the foot to some extent, how many people on this forum would go out and buy a 3 series if the 1er didn't exsist, i haven't yet decided 100% which one i'll get! I do however think they may gain some new sales from people who just like the 1er and not the 3er or can't quite stretch that extra couple of grand for a 3er so won't be a complete "shooting in the foot".

Anyway everyone's entitled to there own opinion, I don't know as well as you guys how the US car market works so i'll keep my fingers crossed for ya. Still think you'll be getting a bargin compared to Europe!
taylor82 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:49 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST