BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-01-2007, 11:00 AM   #1
str8line
New Member
 
Drives:
Join Date: Jul 2007

Posts: 24
iTrader: (0)

A reasonable deposit for the 1?

My dealer wants $2000 to put my name on a list for a European delivery 135i. I'm having trouble giving them that kind of money just to reserve a spot in line. I offered $500 and haven't heard back from them(6 days). I heard a ED doesn't go against their allotment-can anyone verify this?

Once I actually build the car, I wouldn't have a problem with putting down a deposit but it just seems like a scam for them to charge that much for a space in line. I'm going to start calling other dealers in the Western region today.
str8line is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2007, 11:10 AM   #2
cracka
Captain
 
cracka's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: DFW

Posts: 777
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to cracka
Honestly, I'm not sure there's any compelling reason to put a deposit down at all for ED.

My (admittedly very basic) understanding of ED is that you're not affecting their allocation at all, so you're not even getting a place in line.

I'm sure someone with intimate knowledge of the process (callling Irv) can say for certain.
cracka is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2007, 11:12 AM   #3
larryn
Major General
 
Drives: '97 332ti, '10 E92 M3
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Seattle

Posts: 8,419
iTrader: (2)

ED cars do not come out of their allottment. $2k is totally insane, and is more than I've heard of for M5's... That dealer is a shyster. I would run, not walk, from there.

Btw, ED does have a maximum # of cars they will allow for ED, so as to not crowd the delivery center. Since BMW Welt opened, that shouldn't be as much of an issue though.
larryn is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2007, 11:32 AM   #4
Templedogg
Captain
 
Drives: 135i, Trailblazer SS, 1934 PU
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lake Stevens, WA

Posts: 799
iTrader: (1)

It is a little high for ED, but I say if you have the money and know this is the car you want, do it. You will just be that much closer to having it paid off. Personally I would tell them $2K for guaranteed first allocation spot, but if you want to do ED that is different.
Templedogg is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2007, 11:33 AM   #5
1ster
Large Member
 
1ster's Avatar
 
Drives:
Join Date: Aug 2007

Posts: 939
iTrader: (0)

I'm hearing more stories about dealers doing this. Media buzz is probably sending a lot of people into their showrooms asking questions, so they're hoping they can get fat deposits now.

$2,000 is insane. $500 is fair, and many people on this board have popped for $1,000 deposits if it guarantees them an early slot.
1ster is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2007, 01:21 PM   #6
The 1
TT > i-vtec
 
Drives:
Join Date: Nov 2007

Posts: 35
iTrader: (0)

I need some enlightenment. What is a European Delivery? :iono:
The 1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2007, 01:56 PM   #7
larryn
Major General
 
Drives: '97 332ti, '10 E92 M3
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Seattle

Posts: 8,419
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 1 View Post
I need some enlightenment. What is a European Delivery? :iono:
You order the car here, pick it up in Munich, drive it around, drop it off in one of 14 places in Europe, get it shipped back to your local dealer. It rocks, plus you save $$ on the car!

http://www.bmwusa.com/bmwexperience/europeandelivery/
-and-
http://www.edbmw.com

Plus, there's lots of info here if you search for European Delivery or ED on this and pretty much any BMW site.
larryn is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2007, 02:03 PM   #8
gbent
First Lieutenant
 
gbent's Avatar
 
Drives:
Join Date: Sep 2007

Posts: 312
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8line View Post
My dealer wants $2000 to put my name on a list for a European delivery 135i. I'm having trouble giving them that kind of money just to reserve a spot in line. I offered $500 and haven't heard back from them(6 days). I heard a ED doesn't go against their allotment-can anyone verify this?

Once I actually build the car, I wouldn't have a problem with putting down a deposit but it just seems like a scam for them to charge that much for a space in line. I'm going to start calling other dealers in the Western region today.
I'm planning on doing an ED on my 135i this coming June, & my CA tells me that he sees no reason to even take a deposit from me for the car until we start the actual ordering process.

As others have mentioned, ED cars do not come out of the dealerships allocation, so what exactly is it that you are putting a deposit on?:iono:

Personally, I think it's pretty foolish to tie up $2k this far in advance on something that you really don't need.
gbent is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2007, 02:14 PM   #9
The 1
TT > i-vtec
 
Drives:
Join Date: Nov 2007

Posts: 35
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
You order the car here, pick it up in Munich, drive it around, drop it off in one of 14 places in Europe, get it shipped back to your local dealer. It rocks, plus you save $$ on the car!

http://www.bmwusa.com/bmwexperience/europeandelivery/
-and-
http://www.edbmw.com

Plus, there's lots of info here if you search for European Delivery or ED on this and pretty much any BMW site.
Oh wow! I'd +rep if there was a rep system lol. Thanks for the help! :headbang:
The 1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2007, 02:25 PM   #10
The 1
TT > i-vtec
 
Drives:
Join Date: Nov 2007

Posts: 35
iTrader: (0)

I read through the BMW ED information and it looks like you're responsible for the shipping charges to the states. Is this correct?
The 1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2007, 02:28 PM   #11
cracka
Captain
 
cracka's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: DFW

Posts: 777
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to cracka
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 1 View Post
I read through the BMW ED information and it looks like you're responsible for the shipping charges to the states. Is this correct?
No, actually your destination charge covers the shipping to the States. It's the same $775 charge whether you do ED or not, I believe.
cracka is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2007, 02:32 PM   #12
The 1
TT > i-vtec
 
Drives:
Join Date: Nov 2007

Posts: 35
iTrader: (0)

Well then you might as well use the difference in price and get a vacation in Europe out of it. This will have to be taken under advisement for sure...
The 1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2007, 05:01 PM   #13
gbent
First Lieutenant
 
gbent's Avatar
 
Drives:
Join Date: Sep 2007

Posts: 312
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 1 View Post
Well then you might as well use the difference in price and get a vacation in Europe out of it. This will have to be taken under advisement for sure...
Yea, it's a pretty sweet deal if you have the time to take a week or so in Europe.:w00t:

The only bad thing is you drop off your new Bimmer & don't see it again for six weeks!
gbent is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2007, 05:58 PM   #14
kurichan
Mr. Happy
 
Drives:
Join Date: Aug 2007

Posts: 479
iTrader: (0)

$10?
kurichan is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2007, 06:40 PM   #15
larryn
Major General
 
Drives: '97 332ti, '10 E92 M3
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Seattle

Posts: 8,419
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbent View Post
Yea, it's a pretty sweet deal if you have the time to take a week or so in Europe.:w00t:

The only bad thing is you drop off your new Bimmer & don't see it again for six weeks!
Very true, re:6 weeks. However, you get the opportunity to drive yourself, your wife, and 2 kids across Germany, France, and Spain, reaching 145mph for an hours at a time, with bags for 4 in the car. Then, you realize you get to have that same sweet ride back in the States... (albeit at a slower pace) :smile:

Priceless.
larryn is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-02-2007, 07:59 AM   #16
gbent
First Lieutenant
 
gbent's Avatar
 
Drives:
Join Date: Sep 2007

Posts: 312
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Very true, re:6 weeks. However, you get the opportunity to drive yourself, your wife, and 2 kids across Germany, France, and Spain, reaching 145mph for an hours at a time, with bags for 4 in the car. Then, you realize you get to have that same sweet ride back in the States... (albeit at a slower pace) :smile:

Priceless.
Exactly!
Except we're leaving the two kids at home!:thumbup:
gbent is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-02-2007, 10:18 AM   #17
The 1
TT > i-vtec
 
Drives:
Join Date: Nov 2007

Posts: 35
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbent View Post
Exactly!
Except we're leaving the two kids at home!:thumbup:
QFT

We just had a baby girl that my wife has a hard time leaving. It'll probably take a crow bar to get her out of the house, in the cab, and on a plane. There's no way I'm taking my brand new baby in a car going that fast lol.

We talked about it last night and we're gonna go all out and stop in NYC on our way to see a show and probably do some shopping. I'll probably be insanely anxious the whole time to get to Munich and drive my 1...
The 1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-02-2007, 12:27 PM   #18
gbent
First Lieutenant
 
gbent's Avatar
 
Drives:
Join Date: Sep 2007

Posts: 312
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 1 View Post
QFT

We just had a baby girl that my wife has a hard time leaving. It'll probably take a crow bar to get her out of the house, in the cab, and on a plane. There's no way I'm taking my brand new baby in a car going that fast lol.

We talked about it last night and we're gonna go all out and stop in NYC on our way to see a show and probably do some shopping. I'll probably be insanely anxious the whole time to get to Munich and drive my 1...
Yea. it's a lot easier to leave the daughters behind when they have their own cars & can take care of the dog & house while we're gone.
gbent is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-02-2007, 12:51 PM   #19
larryn
Major General
 
Drives: '97 332ti, '10 E92 M3
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Seattle

Posts: 8,419
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbent View Post
Yea. it's a lot easier to leave the daughters behind when they have their own cars & can take care of the dog & house while we're gone.

Unless they want to go to the UK. Mine are already ramping up for another ED and want to go to London. Last ED, my wife wanted to go to Spain. I can't complain, becauase they are all cool places, and I'm picking up a new car for me.

I just don't know if I can pull off a 2+ week vacation for 4 in the Spring (both $$ and getting time off wise).
larryn is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-02-2007, 02:05 PM   #20
gbent
First Lieutenant
 
gbent's Avatar
 
Drives:
Join Date: Sep 2007

Posts: 312
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Unless they want to go to the UK. Mine are already ramping up for another ED and want to go to London. Last ED, my wife wanted to go to Spain. I can't complain, becauase they are all cool places, and I'm picking up a new car for me.

I just don't know if I can pull off a 2+ week vacation for 4 in the Spring (both $$ and getting time off wise).
Yea, taking the kids along really starts to eat into the financial advantages of doing an ED.

Plus the time off really is an issue when you're self employed like myself. I can take off as many days as I wan, but it does'nt pay to well!
gbent is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:31 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST