BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-20-2007, 01:53 PM   #1
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Portland, OR

Posts: 1,938
iTrader: (1)

Projected maintenence costs for a 1'er?

Some of these threads lately discussing the merits of a new 128/135i vs. buying a pre-owned E46 M3 got me thinking, what will the real-world maintenence costs of owing a 128/135i likely be?

The M3, it doesn't take long to realize, is a pricey car to maintain: $120 oil changes, $1200-1600 service inspections, etc, but then again, it is a semi-exotic car. Are all BMW's expected to be this expensive to maintain, or are these newer breeds of BMW's more along the lines of Japanese vehicles, where 4-digit inspections are basically unhread of?

Does the N52/N54 require any sort of special oil, and can you change it yourself? (or have a non-BMW service center do it?)
I know the N54 doesn't even have a dipstick, but how about the N52?
Brandon26pdx is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-20-2007, 01:55 PM   #2
eunosracr
Colonel
 
Drives: a car
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: here

Posts: 2,100
iTrader: (4)

Isn't 4 year maintenance included with the purchase? Regularly scheduled maintenance costs should be $0 for 4 years.
eunosracr is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-20-2007, 01:56 PM   #3
1ster
Large Member
 
1ster's Avatar
 
Drives:
Join Date: Aug 2007

Posts: 939
iTrader: (0)

For the first four years (or 50,00 miles) the answer is $0.
1ster is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-20-2007, 01:57 PM   #4
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
 
Dave's Avatar
 
Drives: Jag 07' XK Vert (BRG)
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: To

Posts: 3,378
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 135i  [3.40]
all models of the 1er come with 4 yrs/50k free maint...that includes...wipers...rotors..brake pads....cracked windshield....all fluids and so on

...owning a used m3 would be much more $$ than buying a new 1er for this reason...
__________________
BMW CCA # 418268
Dave is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-20-2007, 02:04 PM   #5
larryn
Major General
 
Drives: '97 332ti, '10 E92 M3
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Seattle

Posts: 8,439
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzodesh View Post
all models of the 1er come with 4 yrs/50k free maint...that includes...wipers...rotors..brake pads....cracked windshield....all fluids and so on

...owning a used m3 would be much more $$ than buying a new 1er for this reason...
A cracked windshield is not covered under warranty. Your insurance might cover it, but then again your insurance covers it, it would be so for both cars.

Also, I am in the middle of my 4yr 50k mile warranty, and have been choosing to change my oil a lot more frequently than every ~15k miles. I think it's just the correct thing to do. Long term effects of using oil for extreme periods of time are not well known enough. I choose to do $30 oil changes every 5k miles (I buy oil by the case).

Still though, an off warranty M3 would be funner, but likely more expensive in the long run.
larryn is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-20-2007, 02:09 PM   #6
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
 
Dave's Avatar
 
Drives: Jag 07' XK Vert (BRG)
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: To

Posts: 3,378
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 135i  [3.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
A cracked windshield is not covered under warranty. Your insurance might cover it, but then again your insurance covers it, it would be so for both cars.

Also, I am in the middle of my 4yr 50k mile warranty, and have been choosing to change my oil a lot more frequently than every ~15k miles. I think it's just the correct thing to do. Long term effects of using oil for extreme periods of time are not well known enough. I choose to do $30 oil changes every 5k miles (I buy oil by the case).

Still though, an off warranty M3 would be funner, but likely more expensive in the long run.

dammit the stealership lied to me...
i am not surprised... :frown:
__________________
BMW CCA # 418268
Dave is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-20-2007, 02:14 PM   #7
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Portland, OR

Posts: 1,938
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
A cracked windshield is not covered under warranty. Your insurance might cover it, but then again your insurance covers it, it would be so for both cars.

Also, I am in the middle of my 4yr 50k mile warranty, and have been choosing to change my oil a lot more frequently than every ~15k miles. I think it's just the correct thing to do. Long term effects of using oil for extreme periods of time are not well known enough. I choose to do $30 oil changes every 5k miles (I buy oil by the case).

Still though, an off warranty M3 would be funner, but likely more expensive in the long run.
Your 330i has the N52 right? What kind of oil does it need? Does that engine have a dipstick? Where do you have it done when it's not done a BMW?
Brandon26pdx is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-20-2007, 02:23 PM   #8
larryn
Major General
 
Drives: '97 332ti, '10 E92 M3
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Seattle

Posts: 8,439
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon26pdx View Post
Your 330i has the N52 right? What kind of oil does it need? Does that engine have a dipstick? Where do you have it done when it's not done a BMW?
I have the N52, which has no dipstick. I change it myself, and get my oil by the case, adn filters from the dealership with my BMW CCA membership card.

I used to use my MityVac to extract the oil from the dipstick tube on my e46's I've had, but I have RhinoRamps and it's easy to change myself. I still use the MityVac on my e36, and the wife's Audi.
larryn is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-20-2007, 02:50 PM   #9
gbent
First Lieutenant
 
gbent's Avatar
 
Drives:
Join Date: Sep 2007

Posts: 312
iTrader: (0)

In theory the maintenance on the 1 series should be free for the first four years, but I agree with larryn about sticking to BMW's maintenance schedule.

Your oil should be changed more often than 15000 miles, especially after the initial break in. And the idea of "lifetime fill" on the gearbox & diff is just plain foolishness!

My new 135i will get it's oil changed every 5000 miles & have the trans/diff changed with Redline oil every 30000 miles as well.

So to answer your question, the M3 will certainly cost a little more to maintain, but the 1 series will not be entirelly free if you choose to do things the right way.
gbent is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-20-2007, 03:01 PM   #10
1ster
Large Member
 
1ster's Avatar
 
Drives:
Join Date: Aug 2007

Posts: 939
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbent View Post
My new 135i will get it's oil changed every 5000 miles & have the trans/diff changed with Redline oil every 30000 miles as well.
I was not aware of BMW's 15,000 mile oil changes. That's ridiculous. :bs:

I agree with larryn and gbent: stick to a common sense old school maintenance schedule. Oil changes are cheaper than engine rebuilds.
1ster is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-20-2007, 03:27 PM   #11
larryn
Major General
 
Drives: '97 332ti, '10 E92 M3
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Seattle

Posts: 8,439
iTrader: (2)

It's actually a "smart system" that computes when your oil should be changed, based on how you haven drive the car since the last oil service. I track and autocross mine, and it has been calculating mine needs to be changed every 17000 miles. I have no idea what algorythm it uses, but it seems pretty flakey, seeing how I use my car.
larryn is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-20-2007, 04:01 PM   #12
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Portland, OR

Posts: 1,938
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
I have the N52, which has no dipstick. I change it myself, and get my oil by the case, adn filters from the dealership with my BMW CCA membership card.
So with the N52 you use the drain plug to let the old oil out, then just calculate how much to pour into the topside? (or is there an overflow plug on the side like on a tranny?)

Sorry for the interview. Some people might find this interesting though.
Brandon26pdx is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-20-2007, 04:03 PM   #13
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Portland, OR

Posts: 1,938
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbent View Post
My new 135i will get it's oil changed every 5000 miles & have the trans/diff changed with Redline oil every 30000 miles as well.
Some people recommend changing tranny oil more regularly than that even...like 15000 or annually...
Brandon26pdx is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-20-2007, 04:06 PM   #14
plien69
Captain
 
Drives: 2014 M235i
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: CT

Posts: 808
iTrader: (0)

My E46 M3 uses a basic fuel consumption algorithm to determine service intervals. It calls for a oil change service for every 666 gallons of fuel consumed.

I believe my previous E36 had a more complex algorithm that took into account multiple parameters such as # of colds starts, RPM vs. engine temp, etc.

I bet all modern BMWs use the fuel consumption method, but I have no confirmation of that.
plien69 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-20-2007, 04:33 PM   #15
Garrett
Banned
 
Drives: 2004 330ci
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Mich

Posts: 1,356
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon26pdx View Post
Some of these threads lately discussing the merits of a new 128/135i vs. buying a pre-owned E46 M3 got me thinking, what will the real-world maintenence costs of owing a 128/135i likely be?

The M3, it doesn't take long to realize, is a pricey car to maintain: $120 oil changes, $1200-1600 service inspections, etc, but then again, it is a semi-exotic car. Are all BMW's expected to be this expensive to maintain, or are these newer breeds of BMW's more along the lines of Japanese vehicles, where 4-digit inspections are basically unhread of?

Does the N52/N54 require any sort of special oil, and can you change it yourself? (or have a non-BMW service center do it?)
I know the N54 doesn't even have a dipstick, but how about the N52?

It cost NOTHING to maintain.... just cost gas for 4 years. How can you NOT know this?

Everything else is moot.. an early Oil Change @ 5500 miles will cost $80 bucks, if your so inclined to get one before the scheduled 15k.
Garrett is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-20-2007, 08:30 PM   #16
larryn
Major General
 
Drives: '97 332ti, '10 E92 M3
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Seattle

Posts: 8,439
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon26pdx View Post
So with the N52 you use the drain plug to let the old oil out, then just calculate how much to pour into the topside? (or is there an overflow plug on the side like on a tranny?)

Sorry for the interview. Some people might find this interesting though.
Np. I'd find it interesting too. I add 5 quarts, then start the car and check on the dashboard what my oil level is. It gives you a graphic representation of the oil dipstick on both the iDrive screen and the Check Control in the gauge cluster. I then add about a quart from there, and call it a day.

By the way, for those of you who would change the oil yourself, the oil filters on late model BMWs are the easiest thing to get to. There's a oil filter housing front and center, when you open the hood. Just take the cover off, and the oil filter fit on the inside of the cover. It's a snap.
larryn is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2007, 07:20 AM   #17
Garrett
Banned
 
Drives: 2004 330ci
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Mich

Posts: 1,356
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Np. I'd find it interesting too. I add 5 quarts, then start the car and check on the dashboard what my oil level is. It gives you a graphic representation of the oil dipstick on both the iDrive screen and the Check Control in the gauge cluster. I then add about a quart from there, and call it a day.

By the way, for those of you who would change the oil yourself, the oil filters on late model BMWs are the easiest thing to get to. There's a oil filter housing front and center, when you open the hood. Just take the cover off, and the oil filter fit on the inside of the cover. It's a snap.

Why would YOU.... need to do anything? You've just bought a BMW! You don't need to add Oil.. if a light goes off, you take it to the god damn DEALER!

They give you free coffee, deli treats, fruit drinks and nice pastries. If you have to go, they suply you with a loaner thats usually has less miles on it than your car does and your off to enjoy YOUR day... leaving the paid professionals to examine your oils content, drain and purge,, then refill your oil.

All because a light came on! BMW wants to protect their vehichles..even if you don't!






-Garrett
Garrett is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2007, 08:32 AM   #18
larryn
Major General
 
Drives: '97 332ti, '10 E92 M3
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Seattle

Posts: 8,439
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
Why would YOU.... need to do anything? You've just bought a BMW! You don't need to add Oil.. if a light goes off, you take it to the god damn DEALER!

They give you free coffee, deli treats, fruit drinks and nice pastries. If you have to go, they suply you with a loaner thats usually has less miles on it than your car does and your off to enjoy YOUR day... leaving the paid professionals to examine your oils content, drain and purge,, then refill your oil.

All because a light came on! BMW wants to protect their vehichles..even if you don't!
LOL! I know, I know. I (personally) do not believe that 17k mile old oil can effectively protect my engine's internals. When my car reaches above +120k miles on the odometer, I believe it's going to be in better shape than one that had it's oil changed less than one third as frequently.

By the way, no oil light comes on, I'm not low on oil. I'm choosing to do what I feel is proper maintenance. I do autocross and track my car, and I feel that 17k mile intervals between oil changes is wrong.

Also, if you have any BMW Tech's as friends, as I do, they'll tell you that they think the same thing as I do. I think it's just BMW's way of pinching a few pennies. They could care less what happens after 4yrs/50k miles, because you're paying for the maintenance after that. Take care of your things, and they'll take care of you. I have always done my oil changes, and I can do them for <$30 and in <15 minutes. Seems like cheap peace of mind to me.

Garrett, if you were down a qt of oil, you would really drive to the dealer to have them add a quart?
larryn is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2007, 08:34 AM   #19
Crowley
Major
 
Drives:
Join Date: Oct 2007

Posts: 1,015
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
Why would YOU.... need to do anything? You've just bought a BMW! You don't need to add Oil.. if a light goes off, you take it to the god damn DEALER!

They give you free coffee, deli treats, fruit drinks and nice pastries. If you have to go, they suply you with a loaner thats usually has less miles on it than your car does and your off to enjoy YOUR day... leaving the paid professionals to examine your oils content, drain and purge,, then refill your oil.

All because a light came on! BMW wants to protect their vehichles..even if you don't!





-Garrett

I think we are all talking about the in between interval .. There is no way I'll use the same oil (which the turbos use as well) for 15k miles .. I'll be doing it myself in between ..

Crowley
__________________


The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: There is something simply magical about BMWs in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.
Crowley is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2007, 08:36 AM   #20
gbent
First Lieutenant
 
gbent's Avatar
 
Drives:
Join Date: Sep 2007

Posts: 312
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
Why would YOU.... need to do anything? You've just bought a BMW! You don't need to add Oil.. if a light goes off, you take it to the god damn DEALER!

They give you free coffee, deli treats, fruit drinks and nice pastries. If you have to go, they suply you with a loaner thats usually has less miles on it than your car does and your off to enjoy YOUR day... leaving the paid professionals to examine your oils content, drain and purge,, then refill your oil.

All because a light came on! BMW wants to protect their vehichles..even if you don't!






-Garrett
Hey thanks for another well reason response Garrett.

It's exactly this kind of slack-jaw attitude that forces auotomakers to cram modern cars with sensors, warning lights & every other manner of useless bullshit, so the numb-skull masses never have to do anything complicated like pick up a tire pressure gauge, or pull out a dipstick!

It might be hard for you to grasp such a concept, but some of us actually like to be involved in the maintenance of our vehicles, and not have to rely on electronics & computers to do it for us.
gbent is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2007, 09:27 AM   #21
Fwapsk
New Member
 
Drives:
Join Date: Sep 2007

Posts: 18
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbent View Post
Hey thanks for another well reason response Garrett.

It's exactly this kind of slack-jaw attitude that forces auotomakers to cram modern cars with sensors, warning lights & every other manner of useless bullshit, so the numb-skull masses never have to do anything complicated like pick up a tire pressure gauge, or pull out a dipstick!

It might be hard for you to grasp such a concept, but some of us actually like to be involved in the maintenance of our vehicles, and not have to rely on electronics & computers to do it for us.

A little harsh on the response but your point has been made. I just don't think the insults were necessary....:iono:
Fwapsk is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2007, 12:50 PM   #22
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Portland, OR

Posts: 1,938
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
Why would YOU.... need to do anything? You've just bought a BMW! You don't need to add Oil.. if a light goes off, you take it to the god damn DEALER!

They give you free coffee, deli treats, fruit drinks and nice pastries. If you have to go, they suply you with a loaner thats usually has less miles on it than your car does and your off to enjoy YOUR day... leaving the paid professionals to examine your oils content, drain and purge,, then refill your oil.

All because a light came on! BMW wants to protect their vehichles..even if you don't!

If you want to buy a $30k+ vehicle and change the oil every 15k miles, be my guest.






-Garrett
If you want to buy a $30k+ vehicle and change the oil every 15k miles, be my guest.
Brandon26pdx is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:41 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST