BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-01-2008, 05:33 AM   #45
Twisted
TwistedHouse
0
Rep
55
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Jan 2008

iTrader: (0)

There's one thing that most photos don't pick up and thats the sparkle in Sparkling Graphite. As a SGM 1er hatch owner i fell in love with my car. If i were forced to change to another colour i'd probably opt for the 3er's Space Grey as its not quite SGM but it brings out the lines and wheels and chrome of the car and makes it look mean too :P

SGM isn't the best of colours to keep clean if you have mixed climates but overall its a great colour imo.

Like Sedona Red, photos just don't do it justice.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2008, 08:17 AM   #46
Thud
Throbbing Member
21
Rep
1,432
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Jan 2008

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted View Post
There's one thing that most photos don't pick up and thats the sparkle in Sparkling Graphite. As a SGM 1er hatch owner i fell in love with my car. If i were forced to change to another colour i'd probably opt for the 3er's Space Grey as its not quite SGM but it brings out the lines and wheels and chrome of the car and makes it look mean too :P

SGM isn't the best of colours to keep clean if you have mixed climates but overall its a great colour imo.

Like Sedona Red, photos just don't do it justice.

Exactly... ordinarily, silver and gray cars bore me. But SGM is different, it's not just a run-of-the-mill gray color. It's the kind of color that people will do a double-take to see, because it seems to shift with different lighting angles. It's a cool effect.
__________________
2011 335d / Deep Sea Blue / Saddle brown / sport / premium

Previous cars:
2008 BMW 135i / 6MT
2002 Z06 Corvette
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2008, 08:32 AM   #47
roadburn
Just a blur...
roadburn's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
243
Posts

 
Drives: SGM 135i
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ohio Valley

iTrader: (0)

I don't know the technical specs of Sparkling Graphite Metallic in particular, but it may contain some of the elements used in "pearlescent" custom paint jobs, which are valued for their complexity and tendency to look different from different angles.

Most manufacturers' "pure" metallics get their sparkle from tiny metal chips suspended in the paint layers, which reflect light (and therefore make the paint look slightly lighter when you're staring directly at it with light coming over your shoulder). The paint looks a bit darker when the surface curves away from you.

But pearl paint jobs also employ small bits of mica suspended in a clear layer. The mica can be coated with variable thicknesses of titanium dioxide or ferric oxide. This technique gives the paint more of a 3D look, with slightly different color effects when you stare directly at it (called the "face" or specular viewing angle) than when you see it at an oblique angle (called the "flop" or diffuse angle).

The changes in color can be complex with a pearl paint job, like the colors that reflect from an oil slick on water, and hard to describe.

But cool.

The difficulty almost everyone has in describing it is one reason that Sparkling Graphite Metallic stands out as BMW's most sophisticated and technically complex color.

SGM is a custom paint job from the factory.
__________________

CXXXVi
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2008, 05:42 PM   #48
jchandler1
Private
2
Rep
73
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Feb 2008

iTrader: (0)

I just got home from Performance BMW in Chapel Hill, NC. These guys have treated me great! See SA Jon Hilliard if you're in the area and interested -- first class individual. They had their new building grand opening today. I took a friend to help with my color dilema. Looked at a 3 series SGM -- LOVE the color! Going with it over Sedona Red. Also checked out a 3 with Coral Red Leather -- Fell out of love with it -- too bright for me with SGM. I decided to go classy over sporty (just my opinion, don't aim to offend anyone who does't agree) and went with Black interior instead. I'll probably waffle on that damn decicion too!! SA said that build "should" start next week. This wait is going to feel like an eternity!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2008, 05:55 PM   #49
sc135i
Second Lieutenant
3
Rep
253
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 sgm/taupe 135i
Join Date: Dec 2007

iTrader: (0)

Congrats on a great choice! I have a SGM 135 on order for delivery on 3/22. I wrestled over the interior choice as well, and went a direction- taupe leather- which everyone seems to think will be too light. I am concerned about it myself, but my last car, an Acura CL-S, was anthracite grey, black leather, brushed aluminum, so I didn't want to go completely the same. With the taupe, I chose the light burl walnut, also a choice not too many others have taken. Time will tell . . . .

Anyway, hang in there, I have mine on order since Thanksgiving, so I no the wait can be a killer. :drinking:
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2008, 07:14 PM   #50
TP 135i
Major
TP 135i's Avatar
United_States
17
Rep
1,341
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 135i SGM MT
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Finksburg, Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchandler1 View Post
I decided to go classy over sporty (just my opinion, don't aim to offend anyone who does't agree) and went with Black interior instead. I'll probably waffle on that damn decicion too!!
I did SGM with Black leather as well. I think that you can't go wrong with this combo. You can second guess your decision over and over but in the end the black interior is classic. I waffled between black and terra interior.
__________________

2008 135i SGM
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2008, 08:12 PM   #51
mchaskell
Traveler
2
Rep
173
Posts

 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Never where I want to be.

iTrader: (0)

I ordered: SGM, gray leather, and gray poplar trim.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2008, 06:45 AM   #52
jcw2006aus
Private First Class
1
Rep
136
Posts

 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Also ordered SGM best color by far ....nearly went for the titanium silver but already have the X5 in that color!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2008, 11:46 AM   #53
UK135i
Second Lieutenant
3
Rep
217
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Mar 2008

iTrader: (0)

I cannot wait until my SGM 135i is ready for me to pick up - only a matter of a week now....This week is going to go so slowly!!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2008, 03:29 PM   #54
GatoGrande
Gato Grande
United_States
3
Rep
180
Posts

 
Drives: '08 X5 3.0 SI
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Deer Park, IL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW X5  [0.00]
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK135i View Post
I cannot wait until my SGM 135i is ready for me to pick up - only a matter of a week now....This week is going to go so slowly!!
I did SGM with the Terra interior. I agree though, you can second guess yourself forever. You won't be disappointed with your choice. I think the Terra will look great, black will look great too. According to my SA I should have my car just after the 14th when it ships from the N. Carolina Facility where it has been now for 2 weeks at least. I figure no more than 5 days transport maybe.:thumbup:
__________________
John

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2008, 04:38 PM   #55
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
BMW Dreamer's Avatar
28
Rep
2,387
Posts

 
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Northern IL.

iTrader: (0)

I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzurri View Post
My mind was made up on getting a SGM, but then I saw it in person and it was to dark for me.
I saw a SGM 335i today next to a Space grey 335i and the SGM was pretty dark, I like the lighter Space grey better, BUT the SGM is still a pretty color.:wink:
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2008, 04:44 PM   #56
Thud
Throbbing Member
21
Rep
1,432
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Jan 2008

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1962 View Post
I saw a SGM 335i today next to a Space grey 335i and the SGM was pretty dark, I like the lighter Space grey better, BUT the SGM is still a pretty color.:wink:

SGM is just light enough to do a decent job hiding dirt. :biggrin:
__________________
2011 335d / Deep Sea Blue / Saddle brown / sport / premium

Previous cars:
2008 BMW 135i / 6MT
2002 Z06 Corvette
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 06:20 AM   #57
imported_Dodgy
First Lieutenant
Australia
3
Rep
340
Posts

 
Drives: SG 135i 6M
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP 135i View Post
I did SGM with Black leather as well. I think that you can't go wrong with this combo. You can second guess your decision over and over but in the end the black interior is classic. I waffled between black and terra interior.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatoGrande View Post
I did SGM with the Terra interior. I agree though, you can second guess yourself forever. You won't be disappointed with your choice. I think the Terra will look great, black will look great too. According to my SA I should have my car just after the 14th when it ships from the N. Carolina Facility where it has been now for 2 weeks at least. I figure no more than 5 days transport maybe.:thumbup:
Same as TP, I changed my mind between black and terra 3 times. Thought the terra would offer a classy difference, but in the end decided to be safe with the black. One thing that clinched it for me was the difficulty getting a trim that I thought suited the terra. Aluminium didn't quite work, the black gloss too shiny, and walnut too many shades of brown.

GatoGrande. Would love to see pictures when you get it, and congrats on having the balls to trust your instincts and go with the terra. I just didn't have the guts.
__________________
Delivered! 1700hrs Tues May 20 2008: Sparkling Graphite, 6MT, Black Boston Leather, Accented Aluminium, Sun Roof, Pro Nav, Comfort Access.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 07:47 AM   #58
UK135i
Second Lieutenant
3
Rep
217
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Mar 2008

iTrader: (0)

i was going to go for black exterior and black interior but then i though that was boring. Then i looked at Black exterior and coral red. But having seen the red in person i thought it was too much to live with. So on the advice of alot of people and liking it myself once i saw it in the flesh and easier to keep clean i went for SGM and black interior.Maybe a bit boring for alot of people but here an the UK the salesman were all pretty against me getting coral red due to poor resale value
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 12:28 PM   #59
TazioNYC
Lieutenant
9
Rep
464
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 135i
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New York, NY

iTrader: (0)

I did SGM with black interior as well. I'm excited about it -- will look mean.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 01:05 PM   #60
KingOfJericho
Major General
KingOfJericho's Avatar
United_States
96
Rep
5,198
Posts

 
Drives: Yes
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CT

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TazioNYC View Post
I did SGM with black interior as well. I'm excited about it -- will look mean.
Same here. I'm pumped although I would probably rather have space gray.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 05:45 PM   #61
128er
Captain
25
Rep
900
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Jul 2007

iTrader: (0)

SGM With Black 'ette interior!!
__________________
2006 BMW 330i
-Premium
-Sport
-Steptronic
-Premium Sound
-Xenons






Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 06:46 PM   #62
GatoGrande
Gato Grande
United_States
3
Rep
180
Posts

 
Drives: '08 X5 3.0 SI
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Deer Park, IL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW X5  [0.00]
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgy View Post
Same as TP, I changed my mind between black and terra 3 times. Thought the terra would offer a classy difference, but in the end decided to be safe with the black. One thing that clinched it for me was the difficulty getting a trim that I thought suited the terra. Aluminium didn't quite work, the black gloss too shiny, and walnut too many shades of brown.

GatoGrande. Would love to see pictures when you get it, and congrats on having the balls to trust your instincts and go with the terra. I just didn't have the guts.
Dodgy,

Sure will - I hope it looks really great.... will get pics perhaps as soon as 2 weeks!
__________________
John

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 07:33 PM   #63
asv
Captain
19
Rep
655
Posts

 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

http://blogs.motortrend.com/6231749/...35i/index.html



Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 04:32 PM   #64
BMWhokie
Private
1
Rep
92
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 135i
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fairfax,VA

iTrader: (0)

That is that exact combo I ordered. SGM w/ coral red . Production of mine started today too with a completion date of next Wednesday. I cant wait.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 04:25 PM   #65
darknightohio
Second Lieutenant
27
Rep
281
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Jul 2007

iTrader: (0)











Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 04:27 PM   #66
TP 135i
Major
TP 135i's Avatar
United_States
17
Rep
1,341
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 135i SGM MT
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Finksburg, Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Great set of pics in the "Reviews" section.
Special thanks to enzo for the post.


DRAT>>>>>>>>>SORRY for the repost........we were posting at the same time
Attached Images
    
__________________

2008 135i SGM
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:25 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST