BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-25-2014, 09:05 PM   #1
ShocknAwe
Brigadier General
ShocknAwe's Avatar
United_States
239
Rep
3,000
Posts

Drives: E82 N54
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Somewhere warm

iTrader: (7)

ShocknAwe 135i Photo History & Build

This is the photo-diary history of my 135i from stock to current. Unfortunately some parts that are on the car, or have been part of the cars history have either been lost or were neglected and haven't been photographed.

The first picture will be semi-regularly updated as the build changes to reflect the current state of the car! I'm not much for words here, and I'll let the pictures do the talking.

Current State of Affairs:



Current Modifications:

Engine/Exhaust/Etc
MadDad Whisper Exhaust
BMS JB4 G5 ISO - Back on straight 93 octane.
BMS 3" Downpipes
CP-e DCI
Modified OEM BMW Clutch Delay Valve
Spring Bolt Delete


Suspension & Chassis
Bilstein HD Dampers
Swift Spec-R Springs
Dinan Rear Upper Shock Mount Kit (10mm)
Febi-Bilstein Rear Lower Shock Mounts
H&R 27mm Front Sway Bar
Whiteline RSFB Inserts
TRW OE M3 Front Control Arms
Rogue Engineering Transmission Mounts


Wheels & Tires
Alufelgen SF-71 Titanium Gunmetal - 19x8 et 45 Front, 19x9 et 48 Rear"
Vredestein Ultrac Vorti tires 235-35-19 Front
Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta tires 265-30-19 Rear


Body & Cosmetic

Rolled Fender Lips - Front & Rear
OEM BMW Performance Carbon Fiber spoiler - Painted Jet Black
OEM BMW E46 ZHP Shift Knob
OEM BMW 1M Floor Mats
OEM BMW Matte Black mud guards Front and Rear
Redline Goods Italian Leather Shift & Brake Boots
Matte Black custom mesh vented OEM diffuser
Matte Black Kidney Grilles
Matte Black CSR Eyebrows
PIAA Plasma Ion Yellow 2500k H8 Bulbs
DEPO Smoked Amber LED Sidemarkers
Front Air Duct Mod
Coded AE Max Voltage, Corners Off, Windows Up on Key, Folding Mirrors on Key


Fluids
Redline MTL transmission fluid
Motul 8100 X-cess 5w-40 engine oil




Stock:





Added Ebay Performance Replica Spoiler:


Black Slat Kidneys:


CP-e DCI:


Disaster! Turns out it buffed right out!:


Front Duct Mod & Alufelgen SF-71 19" Wheels w/ Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta tires (225F/255R), Full 360* Ceramic Tint:


Mudguards (rear), Debadged 135i emblem, and Berk exhaust:



Matte Black Diffuser Project:



A little suspension work - Bilstein dampers paired with Swift Spec-R springs M3 Wishbones, and plugged up those pesky (squishy) RSFBs:



Matte Black Kidneys & upped the voltage on the angel eyes:


Deleted the sun visor airbag warning labels:


Custom Italian Leather boots (courtesy of Redline Goods) and ZHP shift knob:




Matte Black CSR Eyebrows (Thanks HondaGoneRogue!), external suspension, Vredestein Ultrac Vorti tires (increased to 235F/265R):


MadDad Whisper Exhaust, OEM BMW Performance CF Spoiler painted Jet Black, went back to N54 mids and stock DPs:


BMS downpipes, new oil, and switched to Redline MTL from D4ATF



Spring bolt delete:
Yellow zinc hex bolts with appropriate stop length to match the springs. Separate nuts. Not ever having to worry about those soft threads or nuts on the midpipe ever again is a huge plus.


H&R 27mm Front Sway Bar and Rogue Engineering Transmission Mounts




DEPO Smoked Amber LED Sidemarkers



Dinan Rear Upper Shock Mount Kit

__________________
2010 135i M-Sport 6MT Jet Black
N54 | Build Thread

Last edited by ShocknAwe; 05-11-2015 at 04:42 PM.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 09:07 PM   #2
ShocknAwe
Brigadier General
ShocknAwe's Avatar
United_States
239
Rep
3,000
Posts

Drives: E82 N54
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Somewhere warm

iTrader: (7)

Reserved
__________________
2010 135i M-Sport 6MT Jet Black
N54 | Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 04:00 AM   #3
swagon
Captain
swagon's Avatar
No_Country
131
Rep
973
Posts

Drives: E82|N55|6MT
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: EU

iTrader: (0)

Very nice. I like the drop with the Swift springs and BHD dampers. How does it drive?
__________________
///
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 06:39 AM   #4
128GP
Second Lieutenant
128GP's Avatar
4
Rep
242
Posts

Drives: TiAg 128i M Sport
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

great pics
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 11:18 AM   #5
ShocknAwe
Brigadier General
ShocknAwe's Avatar
United_States
239
Rep
3,000
Posts

Drives: E82 N54
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Somewhere warm

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Very nice. I like the drop with the Swift springs and BHD dampers. How does it drive?
Thanks. If I were to do it again with a spring/damper setup I'd probably use the same parts. I find it amazing how little space I was left with under the front fenders by upsizing the front tires again, but it really illustrates how little room we have up there. The ride and handling are exactly what I wanted. Turn in is sharp and I can actually feel the road now. There is hardly any body roll whatsoever even without a bigger front sway bar and the rear end grips about as evenly as it can without a proper limited slip diff. I get no axle tramp and very little squat. Oh and NO RUBBING (a requirement of mine, along with no drone from my exhaust).

The ride is compliant over bumps at mid/high speed. At low speed (40 and under) you'll feel them, but it's not spine shattering or kidney powdering by any means. Also, it's firm enough that where the road goes, you go. What I mean by this is that if the road bumps up and then dips, so do you. If it repeatedly undulates, so do you. A lot of the harshness that would go along with that does get soaked up but the car still moves with the road, there is ZERO floatiness. I will add that this typically isn't a problem and actually works in your favor for flat cornering and transfers. My wife loves the change, and she's super picky about being comfortable.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 128GP View Post
great pics
Thanks bud! Need some more pics of your car, been a while!
__________________
2010 135i M-Sport 6MT Jet Black
N54 | Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 01:53 PM   #6
Marc08EX
Lieutenant
Marc08EX's Avatar
24
Rep
482
Posts

Drives: 2011 E82 135i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: AZ

iTrader: (4)

Finally some pictures of your car Alex!!! Your car looks beautiful and sharp! Good taste in mods too!
__________________
2011 135i 6MT | Alpine White | Terracotta Boston Leather | M-Sport | BMW Performance Exhaust Resonator Delete | Active Autowerke Signature Exhaust | BMW Performance Suspension | Blackline LCI Taillights | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | CF Rear Diffuser | E92 M3 FSB | Matte Black Kidney Grilles | 19" VMR V710 Jet Anthracite | Michelin PSS | BMW SS Pedals
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 07:04 PM   #7
ShocknAwe
Brigadier General
ShocknAwe's Avatar
United_States
239
Rep
3,000
Posts

Drives: E82 N54
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Somewhere warm

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
Finally some pictures of your car Alex!!! Your car looks beautiful and sharp! Good taste in mods too!
Thanks for the kind words Marc. Would have taken more pictures for ya of the car now but some jack-hole intentionally blasted my car with his hose as I was driving out to go photograph it. I almost stopped.. couldn't believe someone would do that. The other side of the car had dirt and dust all over it when I got to the picture site.
__________________
2010 135i M-Sport 6MT Jet Black
N54 | Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 04:27 PM   #8
brocklanders
Major
brocklanders's Avatar
29
Rep
1,144
Posts

Drives: the uno, mineral white
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: houston

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
Your car looks great, I have similar plans for mine. Bilstien hd's and swift, as well as a mesh insert in the rear diffuser. The only difference is I bought a front lower grill to cut out and use for the rear, I have a few ideas for securing it but wanted to ask how you secured yours. Do you have a photo you could post of the back side of the diffuser?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 07:26 PM   #9
ShocknAwe
Brigadier General
ShocknAwe's Avatar
United_States
239
Rep
3,000
Posts

Drives: E82 N54
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Somewhere warm

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocklanders View Post
Your car looks great, I have similar plans for mine. Bilstien hd's and swift, as well as a mesh insert in the rear diffuser. The only difference is I bought a front lower grill to cut out and use for the rear, I have a few ideas for securing it but wanted to ask how you secured yours. Do you have a photo you could post of the back side of the diffuser?
Very cool! It's an easy job, but I used black plastic gutter mesh which is flexible and can be stretched over the opening in the diffuser once cut. I tacked down the corners with 3M tape then used a black plastic epoxy resin to secure it. I'll see if I can find an in progress picture for you. If not I'll shoot a picture from the exhaust side of the diffuser with my phone for ya.
__________________
2010 135i M-Sport 6MT Jet Black
N54 | Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 05:26 AM   #10
swagon
Captain
swagon's Avatar
No_Country
131
Rep
973
Posts

Drives: E82|N55|6MT
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: EU

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Thanks. If I were to do it again with a spring/damper setup I'd probably use the same parts. I find it amazing how little space I was left with under the front fenders by upsizing the front tires again, but it really illustrates how little room we have up there. The ride and handling are exactly what I wanted. Turn in is sharp and I can actually feel the road now. There is hardly any body roll whatsoever even without a bigger front sway bar and the rear end grips about as evenly as it can without a proper limited slip diff. I get no axle tramp and very little squat. Oh and NO RUBBING (a requirement of mine, along with no drone from my exhaust).

The ride is compliant over bumps at mid/high speed. At low speed (40 and under) you'll feel them, but it's not spine shattering or kidney powdering by any means. Also, it's firm enough that where the road goes, you go. What I mean by this is that if the road bumps up and then dips, so do you. If it repeatedly undulates, so do you. A lot of the harshness that would go along with that does get soaked up but the car still moves with the road, there is ZERO floatiness. I will add that this typically isn't a problem and actually works in your favor for flat cornering and transfers. My wife loves the change, and she's super picky about being comfortable.
Oh, thanks for the write up. Sounds like exactly what we are after. I am just annoying people and asking about their suspension mods as I have been searching for the optimal setup for about half a year.
__________________
///
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 05:58 PM   #11
ShocknAwe
Brigadier General
ShocknAwe's Avatar
United_States
239
Rep
3,000
Posts

Drives: E82 N54
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Somewhere warm

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Oh, thanks for the write up. Sounds like exactly what we are after. I am just annoying people and asking about their suspension mods as I have been searching for the optimal setup for about half a year.
No worries. There are a LOT of different, correct ways to go about doing this, and I'm far from finished. If you have any other questions or need help feel free to fire away.
__________________
2010 135i M-Sport 6MT Jet Black
N54 | Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 07:16 PM   #12
Sektion9
United_States
4
Rep
257
Posts

Drives: F82 M4
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

looks great!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 11:10 AM   #13
ShocknAwe
Brigadier General
ShocknAwe's Avatar
United_States
239
Rep
3,000
Posts

Drives: E82 N54
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Somewhere warm

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sektion9 View Post
looks great!
Thanks for the love!
__________________
2010 135i M-Sport 6MT Jet Black
N54 | Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 01:23 PM   #14
mike@x-ph.com
General
mike@x-ph.com's Avatar
United_States
643
Rep
19,492
Posts

Drives: 2007 e92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (13)

Nice
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 05:20 PM   #15
ShocknAwe
Brigadier General
ShocknAwe's Avatar
United_States
239
Rep
3,000
Posts

Drives: E82 N54
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Somewhere warm

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Nice
Thanks mike.

On another note, gonna throw some front mud flaps on there soon. Got a wild hair and pulled my 3mm spacers off the front end. Also starting an intercooler project. Going to try to source a KL Racing unit.
__________________
2010 135i M-Sport 6MT Jet Black
N54 | Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 05:23 PM   #16
mike@x-ph.com
General
mike@x-ph.com's Avatar
United_States
643
Rep
19,492
Posts

Drives: 2007 e92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Thanks mike.

On another note, gonna throw some front mud flaps on there soon. Got a wild hair and pulled my 3mm spacers off the front end. Also starting an intercooler project. Going to try to source a KL Racing unit.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 08:31 PM   #17
ShocknAwe
Brigadier General
ShocknAwe's Avatar
United_States
239
Rep
3,000
Posts

Drives: E82 N54
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Somewhere warm

iTrader: (7)

So small update, made the upgrade from the G4 to the G5 ISO board and figured it was time for a new harness too. Very nice box improvement from BMS and the isolated boost control is SO MUCH SMOOTHER. All my complaints about the JB4 have been resolved. Going to pick up a bavarian technic cable soon and play around with backend flashing. I figure it's time.

Also finally got front mud flaps, going on after I detail the car this weekend.

Decided to re-evaluate my catless DP situation as I got an unbelievable deal from a friend in Mass who just sold his 335. Hoping they get here this weekend so I can install before my roadtrip.

Also grabbed a new underhood shield. Those things are stupid expensive. I was hoping to hold off until I did my 1M OEM wide body conversion but it looks like that is taking a back-seat for at least another 6 months (seems to be a recurring problem).
__________________
2010 135i M-Sport 6MT Jet Black
N54 | Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 08:18 AM   #18
chewren
Private
0
Rep
61
Posts

Drives: 135i
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Singapore

iTrader: (0)

Are you using the Ebay spoiler or the OEM spoiler? I have the ebay spoiler and i think it looks very off from the oem spoiler. Do you have pics for comparison if you had both?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 09:11 AM   #19
cky751
Enlisted Member
cky751's Avatar
0
Rep
37
Posts

Drives: '09 135i
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Looks great! I love how you can see part of the exhaust through the rear diffuser
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 09:27 AM   #20
ShocknAwe
Brigadier General
ShocknAwe's Avatar
United_States
239
Rep
3,000
Posts

Drives: E82 N54
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Somewhere warm

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewren View Post
Are you using the Ebay spoiler or the OEM spoiler? I have the ebay spoiler and i think it looks very off from the oem spoiler. Do you have pics for comparison if you had both?
I have pics of both in my thread. I am currently using the OEM Performance CF spoiler, albeit painted Jet Black. I agree, the OEM spoiler is much better than the ebay one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cky751 View Post
Looks great! I love how you can see part of the exhaust through the rear diffuser
Thanks!
__________________
2010 135i M-Sport 6MT Jet Black
N54 | Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 10:21 AM   #21
chewren
Private
0
Rep
61
Posts

Drives: 135i
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Singapore

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
I have pics of both in my thread. I am currently using the OEM Performance CF spoiler, albeit painted Jet Black. I agree, the OEM spoiler is much better than the ebay one.



Thanks!
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 10:39 AM   #22
ShocknAwe
Brigadier General
ShocknAwe's Avatar
United_States
239
Rep
3,000
Posts

Drives: E82 N54
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Somewhere warm

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewren View Post
Thanks!
Happy to help. If you have any other questions let me know.
__________________
2010 135i M-Sport 6MT Jet Black
N54 | Build Thread
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:14 AM.




1addicts
1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST