BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

01-22-2008, 10:50 PM   #1
eunosracr
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

Sprint Booster

Will anyone be installing a Sprint Booster on their 1 series? I for one definitely will. I have it on my Mercedes and it's a night and day difference. I can only imagine a 135i with it.

Here is the linky for more info http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Sprin...2em118Q2el1247
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 12:15 AM   #2
blackjoker
Fonzie Up
Rep
Drives:

Looks interesting, but everyone who has driven the 135i has mentioned that it has great throttle response. So this device may not be necessary.
      01-23-2008, 06:27 AM   #3
eunosracr
Colonel
Rep

Good point. That is why im going to wait to drive the car first.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 08:09 AM   #4
JohnL135I
Donkey Kong King
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Boss 302

I think the Dinan tune will be all I need.....
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 01:47 PM   #5
menotakoala
Future Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: Civic Si Sedan

I'll be waiting for Procede.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Motor Co.
Dear Joe, unfortunately, our service technicians were unable to reproduce the problem that you mentioned. Therefore, we will be unable to perform any work that you claim is necessary. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 02:13 PM   #6
eunosracr
Colonel
Rep

+1. However, the Procede + Sprint Booster combination sounds like a blast!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 02:44 PM   #7
john970
1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135

This thing looks like a scam. If you read their claims carefully, it appears all of the below can be accomplished by flooring the car instead of pushing the throttle half way down (which the "sprint booster" will tell the ECU is all the way down).

From their site:
Quote:
  • At low revs, the engine responds at approximately half the time in comparison to before.
  • The delay time whilst accelerating in 3rd and 4th gear and the engine in the mid-range, is almost zero.
  • Big differences in the higher rev range.
  • Improved response for downshifts and safer overtaking.
  • Overall safety and more fun on the road!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 03:15 PM   #8
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

I'm listed as a skeptic, fwiw. If throttle response is that much better, 0-60 times would be improved, they would have test results, and there would be a lot of talk about this product already.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 03:36 PM   #9
eunosracr
Colonel
Rep

I have it on my Mercedes. It works trust me.... It's not the same as flooring your car because even if you floor your car the throttle response is way slower than without the sprint booster. Do a search and you will see how many M3's and AMG's are running around with this.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 03:45 PM   #10
john970
1er
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eunosracr View Post
I have it on my Mercedes. It works trust me.... It's not the same as flooring your car because even if you floor your car the throttle response is way slower than without the sprint booster. Do a search and you will see how many M3's and AMG's are running around with this.
Some of the claims they make are obviously false, i.e. a delay compared w/ a cable system. Some of the fastest cars in the world are drive by wire.

It never actually tells you what it does, and I always asked w/ performance mods, why doesn't it come this way from the factory? (i.e. higher boost = less durability + higher power output).
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 03:49 PM   #11
eunosracr
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by john970 View Post
Some of the claims they make are obviously false, i.e. a delay compared w/ a cable system. Some of the fastest cars in the world are drive by wire.

It never actually tells you what it does, and I always asked w/ performance mods, why doesn't it come this way from the factory? (i.e. higher boost = less durability + higher power output).
No way would any car ever come with the throttle response provided by the Sprint Booster from the factory. Old ladies and moms would be crashing at every stop light. It is very sensitive. Car manufacturers build cars for the masses with cost savings in mind ,not for enthusiasts. That is why we have an automotive aftermarket parts industry.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 03:58 PM   #12
ehnaych
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2001 325xi

From what I have read on other forums it seems that what the device does is tell the car that the pedal has been pushed to the floor. It simply amplifies the signal such that the car thinks it should respond by running WOT. If thats the case, you could mimic this behavior by pushing the pedal to the floor, and save yourself a couple hundred bucks in the process. Also, how often do you take off at WOT? Not that often because the car isn't nearly as smooth or efficient. So by adding this you eliminate the car's ability to take off smoothly and add nothing (since it can be mimicked by pressing the pedal harder). Not for me, thanks.

~Noel
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 05:27 PM   #13
john970
1er
Rep

Quote:
No way would any car ever come with the throttle response provided by the Sprint Booster from the factory. Old ladies and moms would be crashing at every stop light. It is very sensitive. Car manufacturers build cars for the masses with cost savings in mind ,not for enthusiasts. That is why we have an automotive aftermarket parts industry.
Some auto cars (like mine) have a "sport" mode that does one useful thing and one no so useful thing:

1. Delays downshifts (useful)
2. Remaps throttle input (no so useful)

I think all the "sprint booster" is doing is an extreme form of #2. Control of the throttle butterfly is pretty dead simple, not sure you can accomplish anything with a "booster" that tricks the computer.

Again, where are any empirical acceleration numbers with and without this thing (on or off a dyno). Given how cheap testing this thing would be if it actually made a difference, it makes me wonder why there isn't a single number or graph on their website.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 05:34 PM   #14
Stay a while and listen...
Rep
Drives: vr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
I'm listed as a skeptic, fwiw. If throttle response is that much better, 0-60 times would be improved, they would have test results, and there would be a lot of talk about this product already.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehnaych
It simply amplifies the signal such that the car thinks it should respond by running WOT. If thats the case, you could mimic this behavior by pushing the pedal to the floor, and save yourself a couple hundred bucks in the process.
+1 I figured it just OCed the throttle voltage...

eunosracr -> have you ever tried taking the device off and stabbed the throttle then putting the device back on and stab the throttle? I'm sorry but don't you think Mercedes spent many more hrs on the FBW system than Sprint Booster?

EDIT: found some info on it.. These conclusions were based off an independent test.

Quote:
Basically, the Sprint Booster makes the accelerator pedal
about 30% more sensitive.....the accelerator pedal becomes dead beyond about
two thirds travel with Sprint Booster.
Quote:
It is important to note that any accelerator signal into the ECU using a Sprint
Booster can be duplicated exactly by a driver without a Sprint Booster, merely by
pressing the accelerator pedal a greater distance.
Quote:
that would translate into a faster 0-60 acceleration figure of something less than 0.035 second. In actuality, the increase is so small
that it is not measurable.
Quote:
Sprint Booster does not improve throttle response or acceleration.
http://frontiernet.net/~dbipes/sprintbooster/SprintBooster.pdf

/thread
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 05:39 PM   #15
john970
1er
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zba857 View Post
eunosracr -> have you ever tried taking the device off and stabbed the throttle then putting the device back on and stab the throttle? I'm sorry but don't you think Mercedes spent many more hrs on the FBW system than Sprint Booster?

http://frontiernet.net/~dbipes/sprintbooster/SprintBooster.pdf
Sometimes a little logic goes a long way...
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 06:14 PM   #16
eunosracr
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Sometimes a little logic goes a long way...
That's exactly how i know it works, a little logical deduction. When I take it off the car and stab the throttle the car does not jump, i install the device stab the throttle and the car rockets forward. This is a case of dont knock it till you try it. I unlike the rest of you actually have it on my car and can attest to its effects trust me. Im not here to convince anybody as I have it and know its benefits. I was simply trying to let you guys in on a little known device which provides a much better driving experience (IMO) for a small fee.

:thumbup:

So I guess all the BMW guys here http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/engine-...dy-device.html are all suffering from dementia and some type communal placebo effect.

And these other BMW guys http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...sprint+booster

Oh and all these Mercedes guys too, myself included http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/engine-...dy-device.html

Its funny how both of these links start of on the same foot as this one with a bunch of non-believers. As you read on you see people actually buy the darn thing and soon start to swear by it. I was a skeptic myself till I took the plunge. To each his own I guess. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 06:38 PM   #17
john970
1er
Rep

Quote:
That's exactly how i know it works. When I take it off the car and stab the throttle the car does not move. This is a case of dont knock it till you try it. I unlike the rest of you actually have it on my car and can attest to its effects trust me. Im not here to convince anybody as I have it and know its benefits. I was simply trying to let you guys in on a little known device which provides a much better driving experience (IMO) for a small fee.

:thumbup:

So I guess all the BMW guys here http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/engine-...dy-device.html are all suffering from dementia and communcal placebo effects.

Oh and all these Mercedes guys too myself included http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/engine-...dy-device.html

Its funny how both of these links start of on the same foot as this one with a bunch of non-believers. As you read on you see people actually buy the darn thing and soon start to swear by it. I was a skeptic myself till I took the plunge. To each his own I guess. Cheers!
Do you not know how to open a PDF file? The guy scientifically proved the thing is BS. Its probably $5 of parts from radio shack.

Read their marketing stuff on their website, they are obviously making stuff up as they go along. A quote:

The delay time whilst accelerating in 3rd and 4th gear and the engine in the mid-range, is almost zero.

hahaha! Really, for every car? So it must only work with a tranny hooked up to it so the pixie dust magic works. These guys are cons. Everything about their website screams scam.

It amplifies throttle input, thats it. It does nothing you can't do with your foot.

Also did you see who owns this company? They sell tires.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 06:40 PM   #18
john970
1er
Rep

Quote:

So I guess all the BMW guys here http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/engine-...dy-device.html are all suffering from dementia and some type communal placebo effect.

The term is "Social Proof". See link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Proof
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 06:50 PM   #19
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
No they wouldn't.

The car is launched already into the throttle, and you're back on the even as your foot is coming back off the clutch. We're talking about minuscule gains in speed, and gains in sensitivity.

Throttle sensitivity has absolutely no effect if you are running at 100% throttle.

There is generally a ton of room to dial up the OEM throttle tip in settings. Not that you'd necessarily want to, as faster isn't always better, but its not like the "gains" aren't there to be had.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 06:52 PM   #20
eunosracr
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The term is "Social Proof". See link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Proof

Hey John why don't you post his conclusions which pretty much support everything I am saying. The Sprint Booster makes the throttle 30% more sensitive. Get back to me when you actually drive a car with one and without one back to back. Till that happens your opinion means nothing. And yes the few thousand people that have this on their cars must all be crazy. In fact let me show you an email I got from a guy which I sold a sprint booster I had on my other Benz which I parted out to. Here you go.

-----Original Message-----
To: eunosracr@aol.com
Sent: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 10:28 am
Subject: Re: Sprint Booster

Angel,

Thanks a million bro. I installed the sprint booster again last night and did a throttle reset and wow what a difference I feel like I have a rocket now LOL with only 168 poneys lol. Thanks for the help.

eunosracr@aol.com wrote:
Read the link below. Its super easy and makes a huge difference. If you drive in a lot of stop and go traffic like I do I would do the throttle reset weekly. Its your call. Check it out.

http://www.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=226887&highlight=throttle+reset

To: eunosracr@aol.com
Sent: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 11:09 am
Subject: Re: Sprint Booster

how would I go about resetting the throttle?

eunosracr@aol.com wrote:
Thats pretty much how it was in my car. You have to be lighter on the throttle. Have you done the throttle reset yet? If not I suggest you do that asap. Mine felt way more linear once I did the throttle reset. In fact I would reset my throttle every time I get gas..

To: EUNOSRACR@aol.com
Sent: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 9:32 am
Subject: Sprint Booster

Hey Angel,

Thanks again for the parts. I just had a question regarding the sprint booster. I installed it on Saturday and in the beginning it was doing everything I read about on the forums and then it started to act weird. I would press the gas and the cars reaction (delay) time was increased and when the car did move it was like I was flooring it no matter if I was lightly pressing the pedal or pressing it all the way. Is that how it was with your car or did I do some thing wrong?

Thank You,
Rahmatulla Aziz

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 06:53 PM   #21
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Do you not know how to open a PDF file? The guy scientifically proved the thing is BS. Its probably $5 of parts from radio shack.

Read their marketing stuff on their website, they are obviously making stuff up as they go along. A quote:

The delay time whilst accelerating in 3rd and 4th gear and the engine in the mid-range, is almost zero.

hahaha! Really, for every car? So it must only work with a tranny hooked up to it so the pixie dust magic works. These guys are cons. Everything about their website screams scam.

It amplifies throttle input, thats it. It does nothing you can't do with your foot.

Also did you see who owns this company? They sell tires.
What would prevent them from simply dialing up the ratio of actual % throttle opening to the % throttle your foot has depressed. Or even simply changing the built in delay in the OEM throttle???
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 06:57 PM   #22
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
This thing looks like a scam. If you read their claims carefully, it appears all of the below can be accomplished by flooring the car instead of pushing the throttle half way down (which the "sprint booster" will tell the ECU is all the way down).

From their site:
Correct, going to full throttle renders the device useless.

But if you like the feeling of part throttle/quick lump of power, well maybe the device is for you.

Certainly an easy way into making people think their car is "faster".
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread