BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-06-2008, 04:17 PM   #1
DavidN
Lieutenant
10
Rep
581
Posts

 
Drives: 1997 BMW 318i
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Cloth Interior

Has anyone tried to order cloth interior as a special option? Has anyone asked if ordering it is even remotely possible?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2008, 04:46 PM   #2
toosteeley
Wanna 135i Alpine White
1
Rep
107
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Sep 2007

iTrader: (0)

I'd like to know as well.

Having said that, any special options will cost you.

I for one, have no intentions of paying for a base European option.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2008, 05:09 PM   #3
john970
1er
19
Rep
1,203
Posts

 
Drives: 08 135
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Denver

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosteeley View Post
I'd like to know as well.

Having said that, any special options will cost you.

I for one, have no intentions of paying for a base European option.
Keep in mind they pay more for their cars to begin with, and I think you can only change so much of a car before having to test again for north american crash standards... thought i guess the seat material wouldn't be one of these

my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2008, 11:48 PM   #4
imported_Ryan
New Member
Canada
0
Rep
10
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 328i Cab, 94 318 Cab
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: toronto

iTrader: (0)

I'd be interested too - the leatherette feels kind of sticky, and the 323 sedan at the auto show smelled sort of funky inside. I have wonderful cloth in my e36, still looks great after many years. Warm in winter, cool in summer!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 06:01 PM   #5
DavidN
Lieutenant
10
Rep
581
Posts

 
Drives: 1997 BMW 318i
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I'd be interested too - the leatherette feels kind of sticky, and the 323 sedan at the auto show smelled sort of funky inside. I have wonderful cloth in my e36, still looks great after many years. Warm in winter, cool in summer!
+1. I love the cloth in my e36 as well. Like you said, cool in the summer, warm in the winter, and it looks good too. Leather is a scam, and leatherette just sucks.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 06:11 PM   #6
0002s
Mein Führer! I can walk!
0002s's Avatar
16
Rep
822
Posts

 
Drives: Not a BMW
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bunker

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN View Post
Has anyone tried to order cloth interior as a special option? Has anyone asked if ordering it is even remotely possible?
Yes, it's a north Ukrainian options P58. It's part of the "not so comfort" package which includes roll up windows, manual door locks, no AC and AM radio w/cassette.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 06:17 PM   #7
m3bs
Lieutenant
8
Rep
550
Posts

 
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP, 95 M3 Track Toy
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Augusta, SC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0002s View Post
Yes, it's a north Ukrainian options P58. It's part of the "not so comfort" package which includes roll up windows, manual door locks, no AC and AM radio w/cassette.
Hey, a 135 LTW! Wish we could get one here.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 08:23 PM   #8
larryn
Major General
United_States
143
Rep
8,443
Posts

 
Drives: '97 332ti, '10 E92 M3
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0002s View Post
Yes, it's a north Ukrainian options P58. It's part of the "not so comfort" package which includes roll up windows, manual door locks, no AC and AM radio w/cassette.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 08:29 PM   #9
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
atr_hugo's Avatar
No_Country
76
Rep
4,247
Posts

 
Drives: SWB 335i
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: -

iTrader: (0)

Roll up windows that have the 'broomstick' option installed. The guy cuts off a length of broomstick and puts that between the bottom of the door and the bottom of the window so they won't roll down. Don't ask me how I know that. ; -)
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 03:10 PM   #10
DavidN
Lieutenant
10
Rep
581
Posts

 
Drives: 1997 BMW 318i
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0002s View Post
Yes, it's a north Ukrainian options P58. It's part of the "not so comfort" package which includes roll up windows, manual door locks, no AC and AM radio w/cassette.
Lol. BMW offers cloth in every other market in the world except for North America. And frankly, I disagree with your assessment that cloth is on par with manual windows and cassette decks. Cloth is more durable and a lot more comfortable than leather and leatherette. Cloth is actually better unless you're just a poser that wants leather because it's just leather.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 05:05 PM   #11
koala
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
228
Posts

 
Drives: 06 BMW M Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN View Post
Lol. BMW offers cloth in every other market in the world except for North America. And frankly, I disagree with your assessment that cloth is on par with manual windows and cassette decks. Cloth is more durable and a lot more comfortable than leather and leatherette. Cloth is actually better unless you're just a poser that wants leather because it's just leather.
I like the look of leather. I also hate getting shocked every time I climb in and out of a cloth seat.

BMW knows that in our market, very few people would actually *want* cloth.

Granted, I like alcantara in particular for a track car, but that stuff doesn't wear very well.
__________________
2006 M Coupe | Interlagos Blue | Black Interior.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 06:09 PM   #12
inTgr8r
Major General
inTgr8r's Avatar
Canada
113
Rep
8,081
Posts

 
Drives: 07 M Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by koala View Post
I like the look of leather. I also hate getting shocked every time I climb in and out of a cloth seat.

BMW knows that in our market, very few people would actually *want* cloth.

Granted, I like alcantara in particular for a track car, but that stuff doesn't wear very well.
I think that somewhat depends on the product.....
IDK about the OE Alcantara, but I reupholstered a previous car in Alcantara (name brand) & it still looked like new after 50K.
I have seen knock of material that did wear poorly though.

I absolutely loved my Alcantara & wouldn't hesitated getting it again.
In fact my plan would be to get the 'ette on the 1er & get them redone.
__________________
Alpinweiss '07 M Coupe •DKF Section1•RPi GT exhaust•Fabspeed Headers•Autosolutions SSK•APR splitter•Tekarbon headlights•StrongStrut STB•H&R COs + ARBs•Poly FCAB/RTAB•Volk Racing G2•Direzza ZII•Stoptech BBK•Vibra-Tech mtr mounts•
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 09:50 PM   #13
0002s
Mein Führer! I can walk!
0002s's Avatar
16
Rep
822
Posts

 
Drives: Not a BMW
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bunker

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN View Post
Lol. BMW offers cloth in every other market in the world except for North America. And frankly, I disagree with your assessment that cloth is on par with manual windows and cassette decks. Cloth is more durable and a lot more comfortable than leather and leatherette. Cloth is actually better unless you're just a poser that wants leather because it's just leather.
[joke]you didn't get it[/joke]

Leather isn't for "posers". Leather is for people who like the feel of leather. I happen to be one of those people. As far as cloth goes, I wouldn't get it. Not because I care what people think as much as I care what my ass feels like on it....:wink:
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 10:24 PM   #14
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
BMW Dreamer's Avatar
28
Rep
2,387
Posts

 
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Northern IL.

iTrader: (0)

I think cloth should be standard and leather as an option. I thought Vinyl was for $10k economy cars???????
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2008, 02:49 PM   #15
DavidN
Lieutenant
10
Rep
581
Posts

 
Drives: 1997 BMW 318i
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0002s View Post
[joke]you didn't get it[/joke]

Leather isn't for "posers". Leather is for people who like the feel of leather. I happen to be one of those people. As far as cloth goes, I wouldn't get it. Not because I care what people think as much as I care what my ass feels like on it....:wink:
Lol. Yes, I did in fact get your attempt at sarcasm. That doesn't change the fact that you think cloth is not a worthwhile option in a BMW. As for leather feeling better on your ass, good for you. If you like having something colder in the winter, and hotter in the summer touch your ass, than that's your business. But that's why I like cloth, because it's the opposite, and it is more durable. The leather used in most mainstream automobiles is sh!t, and not worth the money. IMO, leather is for poseurs.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2008, 03:25 PM   #16
0002s
Mein Führer! I can walk!
0002s's Avatar
16
Rep
822
Posts

 
Drives: Not a BMW
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bunker

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN View Post
Lol. Yes, I did in fact get your attempt at sarcasm. That doesn't change the fact that you think cloth is not a worthwhile option in a BMW. As for leather feeling better on your ass, good for you. If you like having something colder in the winter, and hotter in the summer touch your ass, than that's your business. But that's why I like cloth, because it's the opposite, and it is more durable. The leather used in most mainstream automobiles is sh!t, and not worth the money. IMO, leather is for poseurs.
Dave:

1. I'm in the textile business and leather will wear longer than synthetic fibers.

2. Leather heat and cools to your body temp.

3. I give two shits what people think of me and my leather seats as I bought them because of #2.

4. Good day
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2008, 03:40 PM   #17
looking
Captain
13
Rep
602
Posts

 
Drives: 135
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: GTA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
I think that somewhat depends on the product.....
IDK about the OE Alcantara, but I reupholstered a previous car in Alcantara (name brand) & it still looked like new after 50K.
I have seen knock of material that did wear poorly though.

I absolutely loved my Alcantara & wouldn't hesitated getting it again.
In fact my plan would be to get the 'ette on the 1er & get them redone.
Can't agree with you more about the Alcantara, hand it in my STi and it was great.

I think the only advantage to me about having cloth over leather is that cloth grips better.... But like most things, everyone has a different preference
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 03:39 PM   #18
DavidN
Lieutenant
10
Rep
581
Posts

 
Drives: 1997 BMW 318i
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0002s View Post
Dave:

1. I'm in the textile business and leather will wear longer than synthetic fibers.

2. Leather heat and cools to your body temp.

3. I give two shits what people think of me and my leather seats as I bought them because of #2.

4. Good day
In real world automotive applications I have seen the exact opposite. Numerous driver seat leather side bolsters have been worn to he!! after a couple of years of driving. Show me cloth bolsters that wear that badly. Now if we are comparing vinyl to cloth, then it's a wash. But leather, no way. In terms of temperature, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I have cars with both, and the cloth is infinitely better in Winter/Summer extremes.

JMO.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 04:39 PM   #19
cracka
Captain
cracka's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
777
Posts

 
Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: DFW

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to cracka
The driver's side cloth bolster in my 2003 350Z got really frayed after about a year. That's the only sport seat I've ever owned that was cloth, but it didn't fare too well in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 04:47 PM   #20
looking
Captain
13
Rep
602
Posts

 
Drives: 135
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: GTA

iTrader: (0)

^^^

I think it's tough to be accurate about what last longer for a car application. So many factors come into play. Choose what you like and for your application and enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2008, 12:26 PM   #21
spudw
Major
spudw's Avatar
Canada
39
Rep
1,306
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 128i
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ottawa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by excel View Post
^^^

I think it's tough to be accurate about what last longer for a car application. So many factors come into play. Choose what you like and for your application and enjoy.
Exactly, like the size of one's a$$ and the amount of weight it supports. I've seen leather so worn it looked like a baby elephant had been using the car to deliver newspapers...

Personally, I like leatherette. I prefer the look of leather to cloth, but, from experience, I have more confidence in the value-for-$$ and wearability of leatherette.

As for cloth, I appreciate the practicality of it, but not so much the looks. But Alcantara is the exception. I would have that lining the seats of my car anyday.
__________________
2009 BMW 128i ~ Jet Black ~ Sport Package ~ Sunroof ~ USB Integration ~ Delivered on October 14, 2009
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2008, 01:50 PM   #22
looking
Captain
13
Rep
602
Posts

 
Drives: 135
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: GTA

iTrader: (0)

^^^

There's pictures on here of a euro spec 1 that has a great interior...I just can't find it...
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST